USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Agreed. I don’t understand how they can look like two completely different teams the way they do.

EXPLANATION: Berhalter 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Still pissed off about the 09 Confederations Cup

You shouldn’t be.

Brazil scored 4 goals in the 2nd half, but the refs only counted 3 of them. Brazil should have been pissed that there wasn’t VAR.

48 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Allison made a hell of a save going back after moving right. 

I looked it up this week. It’s “Alisson”. (1 L, 2 S’s)

41 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Turner made about 5 or 6 great saves. Looked like a different human being after starting the play that led to Brazil’s goal. 

Turner also had about 4 to 5 saves that were basically the same quality as a back pass to a good GK.

Turner also had a great punch out clearance on a low cross that doesn’t count as a save, but was a much more spectacular play than at least 5 of his saves. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This game demonstrates the frustration with Berhalter for coach. I blame him for not getting our boys up for Colombia, but he get them up for tonight. Our back line looking like hammered dogshit then, being extremely solid tonight. And the creativity shown, such as the free kick goal (all the movement caused Alisson to hesitate just a bit and that was enough). It’s maddening.

If the team played like they did tonight consistently (both in strategy and effort), I wouldn’t complain about Berhalter the way I do, fuck I would welcome him. But he seems to forget his brain every other game. We talked about the last 5 games a few pages back it’s almost a perfect demonstration:

Trinidad & Tobago - despite the Dest stupidity, we looked terrible. 

Slovenia - B team, doesn’t matter 

Jamaica - we look like crap, should have lost. Lucked into a win.

Mexico - dominate

Colombia - yes, we know, we know.

Brazil - give them a run, have chances to steal this

It makes you want to tear your hair out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Vini only had 3 goals for Brazil in 30 caps.

I noticed that when they mentioned that 3 from 29 stat at the start of the game. 

There is something wrong there. I wonder has many assists he has. 

Brazil didn’t look like a team that can win the Copa.

I think that Uruguay or Colombia are worth placing bets on to win the Copa.

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This game demonstrates the frustration with Berhalter for coach. I blame him for not getting our boys up for Colombia, but he get them up for tonight. Our back line looking like hammered dogshit then, being extremely solid tonight. And the creativity shown, such as the free kick goal (all the movement caused Alisson to hesitate just a bit and that was enough). It’s maddening.

If the team played like they did tonight consistently (both in strategy and effort), I wouldn’t complain about Berhalter the way I do, fuck I would welcome him. But he seems to forget his brain every other game. We talked about the last 5 games a few pages back it’s almost a perfect demonstration:

Trinidad & Tobago - despite the Dest stupidity, we looked terrible. 

Slovenia - B team, doesn’t matter 

Jamaica - we look like crap, should have lost. Lucked into a win.

Mexico - dominate

Colombia - yes, we know, we know.

Brazil - give them a run, have chances to steal this

It makes you want to tear your hair out. 

I think that Gregg is a brainless sack of shit.

Think that with the uproar after the last game, he looked to his assistants (BJ) for help in turning the team around. I just don’t think that Gregg has the cognitive ability to succeed if he is making the decisions.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I noticed that when they mentioned that 3 from 29 stat at the start of the game. 

There is something wrong there. I wonder has many assists he has. 

Brazil didn’t look like a team that can win the Copa.

I think that Uruguay or Colombia are worth placing bets on to win the Copa.

I won’t downplay our play, but I agree Brazil didn’t look great out there tonight. Colombia looked dangerous all game long, Brazil had stretches of meh. When I posted the World Cup qualifying standings, I also looked up the last few years of games - Brazil hasn’t been good the last few. Granted I think the team is in some transition improving slowly, but they haven’t gelled into the team they can be.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think that Gregg is a brainless sack of shit.

Think that with the uproar after the last game, he looked to his assistants (BJ) for help in turning the team around. I just don’t think that Gregg has the cognitive ability to succeed if he is making the decisions.

Paragraph 1 - yes

Paragraph 2 - yes

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Allison made a hell of a save going back after moving right. 

It was a nice save. But Pulisic had so much open net. Far or near post. And time.  I expected him to score. Oh well.  Much better performance over all  

Edited by Jive Turkey

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What do you all think about Scally? Mikey played at “Gladbach with him and they are friends.

He's a decent old school type RB that doesn't really fit Berhalter's system.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They just look so damned nervous and fidgety trying to play that sequence. 

I think calling that a counter-attack is pretty generous. The sequence isn't that terrible if Turner actually clears the ball. I don't have a huge problem with the backpass, but the keeper has to do better there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I kind of would have preferred him to stay at Juve, but Villa isn't a bad place to be currently. 

Same.   As long as he is getting regular minutes in a top 5 league, it is all good.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I think Juve just wants to get his salary off of the books. 

They are probably embarrassed that one of their best players is American.

PS- If Weah ever develops into a top player, he won’t be “American”, he’ll be…

“The son of World Player of the Year, George Weah, who came up through the PSG academy.”

36 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

…please let him go before the Copa America, so we see how shitty Gregg is without BJ, so that Gregg doesn’t make it to August, 2024.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

…please let him go before the Copa America, so we see how shitty Gregg is without BJ, so that Gregg doesn’t make it to August, 2024.

He’s been a top 3-4 player for them this season. I still question his Leeds loan and his mindset, but Villa is a good landing spot.

Weah might be the most versatile player we have had since Beasley! Also Beasley is a top 3 all time USMNT player for me.

final copa america roster: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2024/06/us-mens-national-soccer-team-roster-players-2024-copa-america

GOALKEEPERS (3): 18-Ethan Horvath (Cardiff City/WAL; 9), 25-Sean Johnson (Toronto FC/CAN; 13), 1-Matt Turner (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 41)

DEFENDERS (9): 2-Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 17/0), 23-Kristoffer Lund (Palermo/ITA; 3/0), 24-Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 13/0), 16-Shaq Moore (Nashville SC; 19/1), 13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 58/1), 3-Chris Richards (Crystal Palace/ENG; 18/1), 5-Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 43/4), 12-Miles Robinson (FC Cincinnati; 29/3), 22-Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 11/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): 4-Tyler Adams (Bournemouth/ENG; 39/2), 15-Johnny Cardoso (Real Betis/ESP; 13/0), 14-Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo/ESP; 21/0), 8-Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 53/11), 6-Yunus Musah (AC Milan; ITA; 37/0), 7-Gio Reyna (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 28/8), 17-Malik Tillman (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 11/0)

FORWARDS (7): 11-Brenden Aaronson (Union Berlin/GER; 41/8), 20-Folarin Balogun (Monaco/FRA; 12/3), 9-Ricardo Pepi (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 25/10), 10-Christian Pulisic (AC Milan/ITA; 68/29), 26-Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 23/5), 21-Tim Weah (Juventus/ITA; 39/6), 19-Haji Wright (Coventry City/ENG; 10/4)

Tim Tillman was cut.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:19 PM, MissingInAction said:

@alincoln

Come on man. The thing is you posted your bullshit after he made several saves. 

Some other ass clown said something about saving his job.

I mean, he almost directly gave them their one goal too

Napoli- McKennie: the Neapolitan club had their eyes on Barrenechea and with Juve the tug-of-war for Di Lorenzo is about to begin. Giovanni Manna knows everything about Weston Mckennie, Antonio Conte would have wanted him at Inter before Juve took him from Schalke.

Comment from Reddit: "If Wes ends up in Napoli, he’s going to break Italy and the American diaspora the first time he suggests putting ranch on a Neapolitan pie"

• Haha 1

Anyone going to USA vs Bolivia this afternoon at Jerry World?

I don’t have a ticket, but still am considering it. Would be coming in from Dallas without a parking pass, so highly doubtful that I was to buy a “$60” ticket and drop $120+* plus sweat a pound or two off when walking from wherever I end up parking. 

*”$60 ticket” =

$60 ticket

$23 taxes & convenience fees

$8 tolls

$30 parking

————————-

$121 before even looking at a menu inside PLUS dripping with sweat upon entering the stadium…

Maybe $150 & miserable for cheapest ticket available.

I just talked myself out of going.

Just now, Napoleon said:

I don’t have a ticket, but still am considering it. Would be coming in from Dallas without a parking pass, so highly doubtful that I was to buy a “$60” ticket and drop $120+* plus sweat a pound or two off when walking from wherever I end up parking. 

*”$60 ticket” =

$60 ticket

$8 tolls

$30 parking

————————-

$121 before even looking at a menu inside PLUS dripping with sweat upon entering the stadium…

@Zepol87 and his rowdy gang will be there, tailgating. Check the Copa thread if you're serious.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

*”$60 ticket” =

$60 ticket

$8 tolls

$30 parking

————————-

I can’t decide if this is the least or most American thing ever. 

Incidentally, Bolivia is 1-4 in its last five matches, including losses to Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Algeria. The lone victory was a 1-0 result over mighty Andorra.

A win would be a fair expectation for the USMNT. In fact, there's no excuse for the US failing to advance out of this group as it outclasses both Bolivia and Panama. Uruguay is better, but definitely a side the US could tie or even beat if the Celeste don't bring their best.

If the US somehow crashes out, it should be grounds for immediate dismissal but we all know that won't happen.

• Like 1