USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is the Pulisic we see against shirt Serie A teams. 

Against Top 3rd Serie A teams I believe that he usually disappeared. 

He had several strong performances against top Serie A teams. 

• Like 1

A few things:

1. 2006 we played in the 2nd round where 24 teams were cut down to 12 in a series of home and home ties. Our attendance vs Grenada was ~9100 for that game

2. 2006 we dominated 3rd and 4th round qualifications, advancing well before the last window. 2006 we had unnecessary home games in the 3rd round (~9100 in Coloumbus) and 4th round (~9100 in FOXBORO)
While in 2002 we didn't make it out of the "Semis" until the last day (but that was on the road) or the Hex until our last home game.

But you know what is really sad? Our numbers don't recover much after 2006, sure 18.9 > 21.3 is a bump, but then they have been flat.

If they had reasonable ticket prices, they could probably fill NFL stadiums no problem. I don't even think it takes all that much - Get that to about $45 for tickets and they would be golden. Easily would have qualification numbers of 60K per game. But no, they have to rip off the fans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m curious what the numbers were for tudn broadcast. USA games are always higher on Spanish speaking stations in comparison to English speaking ones like fox.

I wonder if it stayed flat while fox went up.  

13 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Seen this tweeted a few times

image.thumb.png.40f7bf96451f62c4628b2f3cc64c7047.png

image.thumb.png.ff77d6f87dad523362de843f5c4b20be.png

What caused average attendance to tank between 02 and 06?  31k to 18k?

You know - one thing I failed to account for when I said "If they had reasonable ticket prices, they could probably fill NFL stadiums no problem" - we also price our tickets to keep out other team's fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

You know - one thing I failed to account for when I said "If they had reasonable ticket prices, they could probably fill NFL stadiums no problem" - we also price our tickets to keep out other team's fans.

Or…

We price our tickets to keep out our lower class fans so that our middle class (and up) fans feel comfortable coming to games.

Middle class (and up) fans spend a lot more money once they are through security, so if they don’t feel comfortable and stop going, that could be an issue.

I don’t care about the people around me (usually…), but families and groups with women might. 

There is definitely a desire to cultivate the right kind of fans, not “fans in general”.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Or…

We price our tickets to keep out our lower class fans so that our middle class (and up) fans feel comfortable coming to games.

Middle class (and up) fans spend a lot more money once they are through security, so if they don’t feel comfortable and stop going, that could be an issue.

I don’t care about the people around me (usually…), but families and groups with women might. 

There is definitely a desire to cultivate the right kind of fans, not “fans in general”.

If you're theorizing that this is US Soccer's approach, then I'm concerned for the USSF.

If this is your mindset, then I'm concerned for you, because the elitism described above is not how you grow a sport.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Or…

I seriously doubt that.

The USSF has clearly demonstrated that they will sacrifice seats to do what they can to keep out opposing fans (see Mexico in Columbus)
They have also demonstrates they will do what they can to throw bones to MLS owners (see so many games in MLS stadiums now)

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you're theorizing that this is US Soccer's approach, then I'm concerned for the USSF.

If this is your mindset, then I'm concerned for you, because the elitism described above is not how you grow a sport.

THIS IS LONG!!

Summary: US Soccer’s #1 priority is not winning, it is money.

START:
US Soccer supposedly fired Klinsmann for starting off the 2018 cycle with 2 losses. 

1) We lost at Azteca 🇲🇽.

2) We lost 4-0 in New Jersey (NYC area) to Costa Rica 🇨🇷 (who were the best team in CONCACAF & had the best player in CONCACAF, Keylor Navas).

-Both of those games were expected losses, but a 4-0 loss was not expected. 

3) After Arena did not lead the team to qualifying in 2018, U.S. Soccer expected Arena to stay on as manager, but he quit* because he knew that he had failed. 

*If Bruce Arena was telling the truth in his recent Kate Abdo/Clint Dempsey+ interview.

4) MLS owners have a massive influence over US Soccer and how they want things run. They didn’t like the following…

5) Klinsmann told the U.S. media that players needed to get over to Europe as soon as they could go.

-Pulisic went through the US Development Academy and then went to Dortmund at the age of 16 (Croatian passport) in 2015.

-Weston McKennie led FC Dallas to two Development Academy national championships, but refused to sign with FC Dallas so that he could go to Europe asap after turning 18 (2016).

-Kelly Acosta was featuring for FC Dallas before falling out with FC Dallas because they wouldn’t sell him to Europe.

-Haji Wright was a U.S. Yourh National Team star and LA Galaxy Academy product who didn’t sign with the Galaxy due to wanting to go to Europe asap, so he signed with the NY Cosmos to get paid a bit in 2015 and then jumped to Europe as soon as he could in 2016.

Klinsmann was a fairly shitty game manager, but he knew what shakeup American soccer needed to get better, but that was costing MLS owners money, so he had to go.

6) MLS teams headed to the suburbs or expansion went to “suburban-esque” cities:

Chicago, Dallas (went to quaint suburbs)

Austin (rather than San Antonio), Denver, Nashville, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Cincinnati, Vancouver, Minneapolis… (though Atlanta, Orlando, St. Louis have more grit to them).

7) USWNT was long nearly all white with long hair. Latinas were told that they may want to explore other options (translation: “Perhaps playing for Mexico would be a good idea.”)

Now that the world has caught up to and passed the women’s team, the player pool is looking more diverse.

8  The “Soccer moms” have been a segment of society talked about since the ‘90s and these ladies’ households seem to be where US Soccer/MLS have tried to cultivate into the primary incubators of their future fan base since the ‘90s. They want those middle class families as their fan base.

US SOCCER is not “In it to win it.” They are in it for the Power & Money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 5:09 PM, Napoleon said:

*corrections

THIS IS LONG!!

Summary: US Soccer’s #1 priority is not winning, it is money.

START:
US Soccer supposedly fired Klinsmann for starting off the 2018 cycle with 2 losses. 

1)*We lost in Columbus in game 1 2-1 to 🇲🇽.

2) We lost 4-0 in (*San Jose CR) to in game 2 to Costa Rica 🇨🇷 (who were the best team in CONCACAF & had the best player in CONCACAF, Keylor Navas).

-Both of those games were expected losses, but a 4-0 loss was not expected

*A loss in Columbus was not expected.  

-Weston McKennie led FC Dallas to two Development Academy national championships, but refused to sign with FC Dallas so that he could go to Europe asap after turning 18 (2016).

Mckennie went awol before second DA Playoffs. Fcd wanted him to go to UVa which would have ensured their rights to sign him later, so he disappeared for two months until he turned 18 and could sign with Schalke.  

Soccer in the US is a suburban sport. I think that the rise of mixed parentage and the ascent of middle class black families are more responsible for a diverse women’s team than the powers that be lifting an invisible cap.

Edited by dogbreath

51 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Strategery, bruh. Those coddled, cool-weather Panamanians are about to be subjected to the sweltering heat and humidity of The ATL. They won't know what hit them!

USSF looking for new and inventive ways to limit fans in the stands.  Well, CONMEBOL probably is at least.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Why in the world is the USMNT starting at 5PM today instead of 8?  

It makes zero sense. The only thing I can think of is they didnt want to schedule at the same time as tonights presidential debate which coincidentally is also happening in Atlanta. But I doubt there is a lot of overlap in attendees, lulz. Maybe it was traffic concerns or some shit,  but I have no idea where the two events are in relation to each other. 

Edited by Blotto

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Player that touched it back was offside

Yup, replay just showed that Ream was clearly off when Richards made contact. If Tim had been onside at that moment, his toe poke back to Weston would've been fine and the goal would've stood, but Ream was off and became active the moment he poked it back. Good call there, unfortunately.