USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

I don't think I really have an issue with the whole "we invited pressure for 75m+". My issue is, if that's going to be your tactic, then make a sub IMMEDIATELY! Ya know, like what usually happens when there is an early red.

And then you were given a fucking reprieve for your first moment of idiocy from Balogun and what did you do???? In that moment where no one would blame you for setting your team up to turtle? You did... NOTHING!

Get fucked, GGG.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So I got real dark and bitter for that second half and might not be seeing things correctly, but did our substitute goalkeeper freaking DODGE a ball kicked right at him?

Our substitute centerback (why we ended up playing 3 of them in the second half only God Damned Gerg Davis Burgerholdzer could tell you) was flat footed as fuck and let his marker shoot a rocket at our shitty backup goalie. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Our substitute centerback (why we ended up playing 3 of them in the second half only God Damned Gerg Davis Burgerholdzer could tell you) was flat footed as fuck and let his marker shoot a rocket at our shitty backup goalie. 

Don't forget that late late LATE sub of Ream. See, when you're only playing with 10 men and the other side has had the initiative for 70 minutes, you definitely want to hold your subs until the last minute. It's 3-D chess, bruh.

Setting aside my disrespect and dislike for Gergg, that ref Barton can die in a car wreck on his way back to the hotel. I'm sure his family will be well off thanks to whatever he was paid on the side for today.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

3pm west coast, 5pm central start time. In a soulless, cavernous, half full nfl arena. At least they’ve quadrupled ticket prices the last 20 years and increased margins (like they are some kind of fucking SAAS company?)  

#growthegame

That arena had roughly 60,000 people in it (tickets sold?) for a 6pm kickoff so that it could be finished before a presidential debate in an election year.

I don’t think that the capacity of that stadium is 120,000.

Also, this is CONMEBOL’s tournament!

US Soccer & CONCACAF have no say in the scheduling. 

It doesn’t help that even the USA’s soccer fans are clueless.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

He was solid for one cycle then sucked every bit as bad as GGG does now.  2nd cycles shouldn’t be given to a coach. 

Exactly. Especially to coaches who didn’t do anything above expectations. It’s going to be maddening if we end up firing him because we could have given the other coach this tournament to learn something. 

• Rage+1 2

40 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

He was solid for one cycle then sucked every bit as bad as GGG does now.  2nd cycles shouldn’t be given to a coach. 

Nah, not as bad.  He's pointed to as the scary foreigner that shows why we need to stick with safe mls retreads and led us into the groundhog's day we'll never escape.  He damn sure would have given us a better chance of qualifying than Bruce Arena.

Klinsmann was nothing special and I would have been fine moving on from him after one cycle.  The problem is we're never going to hire a good coach again.

Edited by WBT

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Uruguay is going to give us an asskicking equal to the one Colombia gave us. I had not watched them before tonight, but damn they are good. 

My concern is that Uruguay will rest most of its starting lineup and the USA could possibly match what Panama does. 

I would not have thought that before seeing that Uruguay beat Bolivia 5-0 and waited until the 83’ (2 subs), 86’ (2 subs), and 89’ (1 sub) before using all their subs.

They waited until they were up 4-0 before making subs.

Uruguay has 6 pts & +6 GD.

-The can draw & win the group.
-They can lose to the U.S. by 1 or 2 goals and still win the group.

If the U.S. wins, Panama has to win by a 2 goal margin MORE than the U.S. wins by, and they have to do it WITHOUT their Side Show Robertito field general.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Just a reminder, we've only had 1 coach (Arena 2002 & 2006)i n the modern era get an extension and make the next World Cup - and that 2nd cup was a disaster with the US, finishing last in our group.

I wish I shared y'all's optimism.  

Remember we don't have to qualify for the WC.  The powers that be just have to wait a month for this to blow over.  It will be 2 whole years before gerggg can embarass himself in an important match.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, WBT said:

Remember we don't have to qualify for the WC.  The powers that be just have to wait a month for this to blow over.  It will be 2 whole years before gerggg can embarass himself in an important match.

I don’t know, I think this might be too big of a disaster for them to sweep under the rug. In winning the Nations League they were able to show continued ascendancy in the team’s trajectory, even if it was only CONCACAF. Failing to reach the KO stage of a lesser (than the World Cup) tournament, AT HOME, would be a major step back. I don’t know how the federation spins this to fans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I don’t know, I think this might be too big of a disaster for them to sweep under the rug. In winning the Nations League they were able to show continued ascendancy in the team’s trajectory, even if it was only CONCACAF. Failing to reach the KO stage of a lesser (than the World Cup) tournament, AT HOME, would be a major step back. I don’t know how the federation spins this to fans. 

I just cancelled my USSF Insider membership and told them that I wouldn’t spend another dime on USSF, MLS, or youth soccer so long as they retain Berhalter.   Perhaps a few thousand of those emails every day for the next few weeks from disgruntled supporters will let them know their wallet might start being affected, which will make them have to make a decision.  

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

3pm west coast, 5pm central start time. In a soulless, cavernous, half full nfl arena. At least they’ve quadrupled ticket prices the last 20 years and increased margins (like they are some kind of fucking SAAS company?)  

#growthegame

Attendance was 60,000. Just the upper rows in the upper deck weren’t full. It was a good turnout for Team USA supporters.

This is a complete sidenote, but eff it: CCV is terrible and hasn't done anything to earn playing time. He completely lost his mark on the go-ahead goal. This is just another reminder that Brooks is just sitting on his couch this summer. I have no idea what Brooks did, but it cannot be worse than the whole Gio saga. And yet we are going to continue to pass over a better option to run CCV out there. 

Also, going into a group game of this magnitude and starting Adams, knowing he's a halftime sub, is so freaking stupid. You don't approach games that way, you just don't. If he needs to come on the last half an hour or something, fine. But don't start him. These are the kind of personnel decisions that make him such an average coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

the quote from Lalas. 

We've never had more players in top leagues starting for bigger teams than we do today.

This group is underachieving and needs to get their shit together.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

I fail to see anything optimistic - what about GGG firing is good? US Soccer will likely find someone worse. It's a dysfunctional mess.

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Just a reminder, we've only had 1 coach (Arena 2002 & 2006)i n the modern era get an extension and make the next World Cup - and that 2nd cup was a disaster with the US, finishing last in our group.

We were at least in the "group of death" in that tournament and would have beaten eventual champions Italy were it not for refball. The only game where we looked out of our league was the Czech game when we let Rosicky do whatever he wanted.