USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

That ref should be sent back to the Peruvian semi-pro league he came from. 

image.thumb.png.580512bc79603136714cc90c7d378773.png

This can't be highligthed enough.  That was an absolute shit performance from a referee across the board.  Just bush league from the play on after the yellow to the yellow on Adams who was the one that got fouled.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

You guys watched that entire game and thought yeah it's the goal keeper that's holding us back?

you don’t punch a medium speed header right back into the middle of the box. He wasn’t “the reason” but he had a below average tournament. And has been shit for his club team the last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Turner isn't elite and he looked half concussed tonight but he isn't the problem. He made some good saves tonight including one on the goal which was offsides anyways. 

I think Turner is great, perhaps elite, at shot stopping. He lacks in distribution, particularly with his feet. 

But also agree, he's not our biggest issue by a long shot. I'm just perplexed that, compared to Keller and Howard's teams, GK is the one position we've taken a step back in other than HC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Turner isn't elite and he looked half concussed tonight but he isn't the problem. He made some good saves tonight including one on the goal which was offsides anyways. 

He's like Tony Romo with the Cowboys. Is he great? No. Does he get the job done? Yes. Of the 2,000 problems, where is he on the list? About 13th.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I think Turner is great, perhaps elite, at shot stopping. He lacks in distribution, particularly with his feet. 

Yeah his foot skills do suck. However there are a handful of elite GK's in the world who also have the same issue. Their teammates know this though, and don't rely on them to juke a striker. Our defense panics sometimes and are like "here Matt take this janky pass and do something with it". What that tells me is that these guys don't practice a lot of high pressure situations much. It's like they just run corner kick drills and blow the whistle right after they don't head one in. That's where I see the biggest problems with this team - they clearly don't practice for different types of pressure or situations. It's like all they do is the basic shit and figure they'll rely on talent for the rest. 

His distribution when not under pressure is pretty shit though. That comes from him not playing soccer until he was a teenager. I'm not sure he can get better at it at this point. Guy makes some elite level saves though, so there's that. Typically in the US if you get a tall guy with those types of reflexes he ain't playing soccer, That's why we will always be behind at GK. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A couple more critiques on Turner: 

1. He's not a good judge of when and how far he should play out. This is likely him not facing enough opposition with elite breaking speed like you see in COPA or WC. He gets caught in bad positions on breakaways a lot. 

2. Every time he gets the ball he gets a boner and sprints to the edge of the box to try and distribute. Dude needs to learn to chill out when he has the ball in his hands. 

6 hours ago, Derka said:

these copa matches are just knife fights in favelas.

Favelas are only in Brazil.

Slums in Spanish speaking countries have different names for them.

6 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Good job CONMEBOL y’all are as badly run as CONCACRAP. UEFA is laughing at our confederations.

UEFA was asleep while the confederations were being embarrassed on TV. 

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, Captain Ron said:

This is the year that the USMNT has to make their stride. This is a team that has no qualification for the 2026 World Cup, so a big tournament like the Copa America (back to the USA) will be a good measuring stick.

Will Gregg finally get out of this team’s way and take them to the heights we expect? Or will be be like the last few coaches given an extension, and flame out before the next World Cup?

How about our players? Where do they end up? And how will their form be? Will this next generation of talent start to become what we expect? Will Gio take that next step? Will he stay healthy? Will Dest grow up? 

First fucking post of this thread and this year. 

Failed the measuring stick

Berhalter has flamed out - now put the bullet in him.

And our players - we are starting to question all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

You guys watched that entire game and thought yeah it's the goal keeper that's holding us back?

Pretty sure no one said that.  I said he shouldn't be talking about how we did everything right until the final third when he keeps booting it directly to the other team or out of play.  He's got a massive hole in his game.

What's holding us back is the coaching, obviously.  This team has a bunch of issues and no direction.  They look like a talented bunch of players who just met.

• Hook 'Em 7

GK is definitely a position we can improve.  Can Schulte or Slonina get there by 2026?  They should be called into camps immediately and given real opportunities. 

LCB is a big problem.  Ream will be too old in 2026 and I don't see any legitimate options in the pool.

We also need another winger to compete for playing time.  Weah needs to be under pressure.   

Unexpected players will emerge by 2026 and guys we currently think are locks to contribute will fall off.  The only thing that matters now is firing greggg immediately.  He's the worst coach in USMNT history and its not particularly close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

NO DISAGREEMENT.

And his take was pretty weak.

Remember this rant, THIS IS HOW you rant on an embarrassing loss:

lol I remember watching this live. USMNT may as well erase the last 7 years of any kind of “progress”. After last night, drawing Wales & holding on tightly to barely beat Iran in ‘22 then getting smoked by the Netherlands…this clip can still applies for 7/1/2024
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm glad USSF put out a statement. Now they can hire a firm, do an exhaustive search, and come to the conclusion that Berhalter is still their man. 

But seriously, results on the field aside, the fact that the players had as much of a say in Berhalter's retention was a major red flag for me. Players are not big picture people, that's why you pay a freaking GM to handle this shit. Players shouldn't like and be buddies with the coach, they should respect the coach. Often times that will result in liking him, but that isn't always the case. Players need to be challenged and right now, from the outside looking in, these guys are all way too comfortable in whatever this crap system is that we keep deploying. 

The worst part, as I've said before, is they're going to fire him now and the next coach isn't going to have any meaningful games against good competition to prepare for 2026. We have absolutely screwed ourselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The entire game plan was wrong from the start.  We should have come into it assuming that Panama was going to beat Bolivia.  Bolivia has nothing to play for, and Panama is better.

And, Uruguay doesn't concede a lot of goals.  But we're going to have to have 1, and possibly 2.

So, the painfully obvious solution is to throw everything at Uruguay.  Come out playing like you're already down a goal at the half.  Go for it.  And if you get hit on the counter, so be it -- at least you gave yourself the best percentage chance.

But we didn't do that.  We looked like we were trying to keep a clean sheet, and hopefully we'll find a goal somewhere, and if we don't maybe we can still advance on a draw in the other game.

But you're not Mourinho, and we're not Chelsea from 15 years ago.

The whole thing looked like a coach trying to keep his job.  If we get blown out, it's a lot easier to fire him.  So, his first priority was to make sure that didn't happen.

It's either that, or he's just clueless, or a pussy.  There's no rational way to defend last night's effort.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3