USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

9 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I'll take the guy who just made the Serie A team of the season and who has the best goals to caps ratio in USMNT history despite playing on the wing for the worst manager in USMNT history.  

Well, let's see how he does under the new coach. This will be a defining world cup for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The response is funny, but the original quite from Weston... Well... obviously not.

The fact that they are so rooted and attached to the MNT boss is absolutely part of the problem. They needed a new voice after the 2022 WC. Everything that has happened since is just further proof (wins vs La Tri aside, because fuck La Tri).

Edited by Dutch

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

The response is funny, but the original quite from Weston... Well... obviously not.

The fact that they are so rooted and attached to the MNT boss is absolutely part of the problem. They needed a new voice after the 2022 WC. Everything that has happened since is just further proof (wins vs La Tri aside, because fuck La Tri).

THey need a dude to walk in there and tell them... "Being the 'great generation of US football talent will get your dick sucked by a lot of girls out there.  Going out and winning meaningful matches, on the world stage, on home soil....that'll get your dick sucked by all the girls out there...both here and abroad."  

The entire starting 11 is basically guaranteed to start if healthy with the possible exception of Balo (who probably locked in his position with his COPA performance).  That isn't healthy.  We need way more competition for spots on this team.

Sucks with a population of 330,000,000 losing to counties with populations smaller than half of our states….just gonna be impossible to find the talent!!

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s not dude. He’s a good player but we have people referring to him as a generational talent. That’s insane. Maybe he’s that for team USA but compared to the European and South American squads he’s a JAG. 

yeah. until the US figures out a way to have their best athletes decide to play soccer it is always going to be up and down.  I'm not saying there is a solution to this but there is just not enough competition at the younger levels to drive the level of play to a point at which you can really compete with top 15 or so nations and you are always going to be ripe for upsets from lesser nations where soccer is king of the hill by a large margin.

53 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The entire starting 11 is basically guaranteed to start if healthy with the possible exception of Balo (who probably locked in his position with his COPA performance).  That isn't healthy.  We need way more competition for spots on this team.

That and giving the players the power to pick their coach. That cannot happen again.

They can have some input but that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

59 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sucks with a population of 330,000,000 losing to counties with populations smaller than half of our states….just gonna be impossible to find the talent!!

I saw this old quote pop up again on Reddit, and it's on-point.

Before Zlatan was Zlatan, he was the son of poor immigrants who moved to Sweden, developed a love of the game, and got noticed. I doubt his parents had the equivalent of $3500/yr to get him in a good club team.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, alincoln said:

MLS academies now basically operate like academies in other countries beginning at around the U-15 level.  Some USL teams have also implemented this model.  We need to continue to expand this model but the development system has dramatically improved over the past decade.    

Our academies are broken and the players that get seen and developed are often the dads with the most connections and money (and those types of kids are usually bitchmade). It is a problem in most countries. But especially here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Our academies are broken and the players that get seen and developed are often the dads with the most connections and money (and those types of kids are usually bitchmade). It is a problem in most countries. But especially here. 

I wonder what percentage of the population is in the academies in the larger countries that we are trying to compete with vs US?  or maybe a US v Europe comparison.

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

MLS academies are free. The rosters are racially, geographically and economically diverse. The coaches of the academies are desperately trying to advance through the ranks based on the success of their teams and the development of their players. The academies compete against each other to sign the most talented players that aren't already signed to an academy. Players who aren't good enough get cut every season.        

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

MLS academies are free. The rosters are racially, geographically and economically diverse. The coaches of the academies are desperately trying to advance through the ranks based on the success of their teams and the development of their players. The academies compete against each other to sign the most talented players that aren't already signed to an academy. Players who aren't good enough get cut every season.        

That is much different than the stories I have been hearing from parents pre 2020 (and my own experience back in the late 90s/early 00s). Did something change?

Edit: I have also been hearing recently that the MLS next academies arent even where the highest level of play is in some areas and has fallen out of favor for the ECNL. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Panama has just of 4 million. I won't get into Bolivia since few will venture into the mountains to count. Uruguay has half of the people of the DFW area.

It is a cultural issue for us. It crosses the entire way we look at the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Watching the replay I finally realized he didn't play advantage.  A Uruguayan put his hand on the ball to set it and played a quick restart.  Now that also shouldn't be allowed while you're in the process of holding up a card but he didn't actually play an advantage.

Which is why CBs are taught from the age of 8 to either grab/fall on the ball or kick it to row Z in that scenario.  When the whistle blows, you do whatever it takes to ensure the attack stops and your defense gets set.

Richards has to grab the ball and then go protest the foul/card.

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

When Dempsey was Puli's age, he had scored 7 goals in Europe and 13 for the USMNT. Puli has 60 and 30.

to be fair, dempsey's career began at age 24 when he graduated from furman and joined the revs

it is hard to believe but the international soccer economy penetrated youth development in the US less than 10 years ago and we already take it for granted....

.... because we should, because it's the natural order of things.....

.... like the metric system ....

..... and firing gutless spineless slugs after they get a full cycle and get beat by a team whose manager said his strategy was wait for us to fuck up

• Hook 'Em 6

This…at least, that was consistent with what we saw and experienced when we worked with a foster kid in an academy. It became very clear very quickly that it was a political/nepotism game that we had no chance of playing.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Because we fucking qualified. It’s a U-23 tournament so think of it as youth training at a high level tournament. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Missed that part. well shit,

So it's a modified U-23 tournament with 3 players over that age limit allowed. But it's also not a FIFA tournament - so clubs don't have to release players for it, in fact they can restrict them from playing.

That brings us to the team we're sending and how UNSERIOUS we are, the US was asking for Jordan Morris. He's 29, but has the knees of an egyptian mummy:

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I thought that the U.S. needed to have lost to Jamaica’s B-team when they got that ~95’ own goal to push it to O.T. AND then get grouped in the Copa America.

But things have changed…

1) Before the Copa started, but after getting embarrassed 5 - 1 by Colombia, talking heads started questioning whether Berhalter should be retained if he does not make the Semifinals.

**This felt like Eric Dickerson being kicked off of the LA Rams sidelines by Jeff Fisher.**

2) Then we got grouped.

**This felt like people starting to look at Jeff Fisher’s career record and starting to realize that :

-Fisher was a .500 coach after 20+ seasons in the NFL.

-Fisher was about to become tied for THE LOSINGEST COACH IN NFL HISTORY and the Rams would be forever attached to that record. **

The Soccer Media, Soccer Fanatics, Soccer Enthusiasts, and Soccer Casuals are all focusing on the regression and speaking out. This would have seemed impossible just a month ago.

After drawing with Wales in game one of the World Cup, I wouldn’t have minded seeing that end of game roller by Iran cross the goal line, because it was already very obvious that Berhalter was a shit coach and we were never going anywhere with him in charge. 

Then the Reyna-Berhalter Affair seemed to provide US Soccer a lifeline to “Go a different direction.”, but after Christian, Tyler, & Weston (my guess) rejected Jesse for the comfort of Gregg, it was like a poorly written sequel.

US Soccer knew that Gregg’s return would be unpopular, so they held him out of managing the Gold Cup, but had BJ runout Gregg’s losing plan for the B-team and we sucked.

But FINALLY, I think that US Soccer is more likely than not to make a change… but they are holding off to see how long the uproar lasts.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

What's the John harkes thing?

Harkes fucked his wife before the 98 World Cup. He was kicked off the team, but the damage was done.

Rephrase they had been having an affair a while. It got to Wynalda before the World Cup. 

Edited by Captain Ron

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I thought that the U.S. needed to have lost to Jamaica’s B-team when they got that ~95’ own goal to push it to O.T. AND then get grouped in the Copa America.

But things have changed…

1) Before the Copa started, but after getting embarrassed 5 - 1 by Colombia, talking heads started questioning whether Berhalter should be retained if he does not make the Semifinals.

**This felt like Eric Dickerson being kicked off of the LA Rams sidelines by Jeff Fisher.**

2) Then we got grouped.

**This felt like people starting to look at Jeff Fisher’s career record and starting to realize that :

-Fisher was a .500 coach after 20+ seasons in the NFL.

-Fisher was about to become tied for THE LOSINGEST COACH IN NFL HISTORY and the Rams would be forever attached to that record. **

The Soccer Media, Soccer Fanatics, Soccer Enthusiasts, and Soccer Casuals are all focusing on the regression and speaking out. This would have seemed impossible just a month ago.

After drawing with Wales in game one of the World Cup, I wouldn’t have minded seeing that end of game roller by Iran cross the goal line, because it was already very obvious that Berhalter was a shit coach and we were never going anywhere with him in charge. 

Then the Reyna-Berhalter Affair seemed to provide US Soccer a lifeline to “Go a different direction.”, but after Christian, Tyler, & Weston (my guess) rejected Jesse for the comfort of Gregg, it was like a poorly written sequel.

US Soccer knew that Gregg’s return would be unpopular, so they held him out of managing the Gold Cup, but had BJ runout Gregg’s losing plan for the B-team and we sucked.

But FINALLY, I think that US Soccer is more likely than not to make a change… but they are holding off to see how long the uproar lasts.

Actually I don’t think you were that far off. We needed to be grouped AND something unthinkable happening.

I mean the idea of losing to Panama at home was seriously unthinkable, until it happened.

The Colombia game did put everyone on notice though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

What's the John harkes thing?

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Harkes fucked his wife before the 98 World Cup. He was kicked off the team, but the damage was done.

Rephrase they had been having an affair a while. It got to Wynalda before the World Cup. 

A little more…

John Harkes was the team captain.

Perhaps you could say that they were having leadership issues.