USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

3 hours ago, Derka said:

Yeah. For GGG that's a benefit not a bug. Dude has never played attacking futbol at any place he has been a coach (3 TOTAL jobs in his career including USMNT lol)

Posted (edited)

Tab Ramos interview with his views on the USMNT and of course Gregg.

https://www.socceramerica.com/gregg-berhalter-tab-ramos-usmnt-copa/

Key quotes, to me:

Berhalter was hired in 2018 and obviously there’s a period with the narrative of “we’re very young, and we’re learning.” Understood and it made sense.

We qualified for the World Cup 2022, but let’s not forget that we barely qualified, tied for third place and on goal difference.

But if you look at the narrative, where we were and the age of the players, even if fans weren’t all that happy at the time, it’s perfectly OK to say, “We’re building something, we’re learning.” So now we go to the World Cup.

At some point, the learning process needs to level off, and now you need to win games and show that you are better, that there is progress.

If you remember, before the World Cup, the team was badly outplayed in the loss to Japan, then barely tied Saudi Arabia in what was not a great game. But we were told we’re going to be ready for the World Cup. We’re getting some kinks out.

SA:  The USA reached the second round with one win, 1-0 over Iran, after ties with Wales and England, and lost, 3-1, to the Netherlands in the round of 16.

TAB RAMOS: Not a bad performance, but not better than previous teams, probably one of the weaker ones. We had an average World Cup.

Fast forward to today, a year and a half has passed since the World Cup and we find ourselves continuing to play poorly, knocked out of Copa America in the group stage and we have had losses to Trinidad, Panama, and blown out by Colombia.

So now it all adds up — this is exactly where we’ve been for almost six years in a row. In the beginning, the team was young, that is the only difference.

We have been constantly accepting all of these losses under the “we are young, this is a project” banner.

But you can’t tell me or the fans anymore we’re moving towards something when the results are always the same.

At this point, if we keep Berhalter as a coach, the message that we’re sending is we think our coach is doing the best he can, but our players are terrible. I don’t think this is the case. The players are clearly underperforming and that unfortunately always falls on the coach.

He has a few things in there that I think miss the bigger picture, like:

Some people say we got out-coached in the second round. But the reality is, the Dutch were better. If we had Pep Guardiola, we still would have lost.

It’s not an either/or in that one. The reality in that game was that they out-coached us and were better. We didn’t have to be out-coached, we could have made them work for that win. 

I also like his insight that he says in not so many words that the federation painted themselves into a corner needing to go way out of their comfort zone and likely hire a non-American coach. By rehiring Berhalter and him flaming out now we have a short time to prep this team and we need a coach that can do it  likely few American coaches can do that  

Anyway, it’s a good read. I recommend it. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

How about they go fuck themselves until they fire Berhalter?

welp, i'm just trying to pay it forward.....   let's say they do fire him and klopp is hired

there will be a 180 on sentiment and feeling around the program - i'm just saying be prepared and pre-shop the store and save the links to the items you are eyeing

11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

5:46 mark - Lalas gets carded for scoring a spectacular goal that is incorrectly ruled off - today's VAR would clearly prove it was a goal

10:08 mark - Celo misses the best-taken Chilena in nats history that we now of (there is only seconds not minutes of film of the 30s and 1950 teams)

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

welp, i'm just trying to pay it forward.....   let's say they do fire him and klopp is hired

there will be a 180 on sentiment and feeling around the program - i'm just saying be prepared and pre-shop the store and save the links to the items you are eyeing

I can guarantee you that I will buy EVERYTHING I was considering buying before the summer window started when they fire Berhalter and hire a new coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Been meaning to ask where you’ve been. Hope all is well. Outside of US Soccer. 

Been dark communication-wise but I did get to watch and suffer with the rest of you through those two shitshows. 

I blame the tone at the top for the Weah redcard. We carry that shitty, bitchy  attitude into almost every game. It's an extension of the coach. Not unlike the Dest WTF red card a few months back. 

Turner obviously wasn't healthy. I'll extend him some grace. Some of his balls were horribad, though. 

I haven't totally given up on Richards but holy fuck we are absolutely pathetic at the CD spots - and he was bad, bad, bad with the ball at his feet. Ream wasn't much better and is almost 40. If we do get a new coach that issue isn't resolving itself over night, unfortunately. 

Antonee was absolutely phenomenal. I think he's the 2nd best player on the team right now. I also was a big fan of Scally this tournament - he's proven me wrong - despite still needing to improve as a defender. 

Pulisic is straight-up world-class at this point.

McKennie and Adams both showed flashes - I thought Reyna was really good against URU. 

Musah was meh.

Taking Balo out and putting the #2-#4 strikers all in the fucking game at the same time is what I hope will be the diarrhea-soaked chery on top of the shit-stain of a sundae that was Berhalter. Maybe if we retain him we can put out a 7 or 8 striker lineup during the WC.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Turner obviously wasn't healthy. I'll extend him some grace. Some of his balls were horribad, though. 

I haven't totally given up on Richards but holy fuck we are absolutely pathetic at the CD spots - and he was bad, bad, bad with the ball at his feet. Ream wasn't much better and is almost 40. If we do get a new coach that issue isn't resolving itself over night, unfortunately. 

McKennie and Adams both showed flashes - I thought Reyna was really good against URU

Musah was meh.

Taking Balo out and putting the #2-#4 strikers all in the fucking game at the same time is what I hope will be the diarrhea-soaked chery on top of the shit-stain of a sundae that was Berhalter. Maybe if we retain him we can put out a 7 or 8 striker lineup during the WC.

1) Rehab is for quitters.

(But quitting isn’t the worst thing in the world. 👏👏)

2) Don’t know why Austin Trusty is not included in our squads.

3) I thought that Reyna had plenty of passes that should have been hockey assists if our team wasn’t mentally challenged.

4) Only Berhalter could make Musah worse. 

News leaking out on US Olympic team. 
Zimmerman, Robinson and Mihailovich are the overage choices. No Luna. They asked him to be an alternate and he told them no. Sounds very disorganized. Vazquez not released and they asked late for Jordan Morris. Seattle would only agree for a partial release, so no go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

What the hell happened to Musah? I thought he was literally our best player at the World Cup. Then a complete nothing two years later at the Copa. Berhaltered?

I agree he should have played more but other than maybe McKennie who do you put him in front of in the starting XI we rolled out?  

6 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I agree he should have played more but other than maybe McKennie who do you put him in front of in the starting XI we rolled out?  

You need a coach that has a clue how to use your midfield in a different mix of players. Frankly I very much can see how a Musah-Adams-Reyna midfield could work.

Plus you have everyone busy their asses in practice to earn their spots. Make it a competition. Nothing is guaranteed. That was probably one of the biggest issues with Berhalter’s time, the starting 11 was pretty much set with no competition. So the need for effort in practice was just about lost. Starters don’t  have to try - their jobs are set. The next 11+ - why try? I can’t make the starting lineup, so what’s the point?

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.today.com/news/paris-olympics/usa-mens-soccer-team-olympics-roster-rcna160453

Who's on the U.S. men's soccer roster for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris?

• Patrick Schulte — goalkeeper
  • Gaga Slonina — goalkeeper
  • Maximilian Dietz — defender
  • Nathan Harriel — defender
  • Miles Robinson — defender
  • John Tolkin — defender
  • Caleb Wiley — defender
  • Walker Zimmerman — defender
  • Gianluca Busio — midfielder
  • Benjamin Cremaschi — midfielder
  • Jack McGlynn — midfielder
  • Djordje Mihailovic — midfielder
  • Tanner Tessmann — midfielder
  • Paxten Aaronson — forward
  • Taylor Booth — forward
  • Duncan McGuire — forward
  • Kevin Paredes — forward
  • Griffin Yow — forward
  • Josh Atencio — alternate
  • Jacob Davis — alternate
  • Johan Gomez — alternate
  • John Pulskamp — alternate

28 minutes ago, randomhorn said:

Probably great with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines

so the other ingredients do the heavy lifting?

On 7/5/2024 at 10:32 AM, Captain Ron said:

How a serious federation operates:

Ecuador lost last night, their coach was fired before the sun was up today.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40498701/ecuador-sack-head-coach-felix-sanchez-argentina-defeat

And let's add to this list

Paraguay, in the group of Colombia and Brazil (and Costa Rica) fire their coach

5 hours ago, randomhorn said:

I like what I’ve seen from him at Inter Miami

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

how is he without messi?

We would have never seen him, and neither would US Soccer’s youth set up, if he hadn’t been playing with Messi. 

Still pissed about Mihailovic being brought in to take Diego Luna’s spot. Fuck US Soccer.

”Diego, you deserve to be our first choice #10, when we play with one, but you look like MS13 or a villain from a Robert Rodriguez film, so we are going to bring in a Northern European overage player and you should be honored to be a practice player so that our squad can practice against someone of your creativity & savvy. Thanks, or ‘grassy ads’ if that helps you understand how we feel.”

’Murika!

Freedom!

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

*I wonder if corporate sponsors pass notes along to US Soccer.

-When all things are equal, choose the NIKE player.

-Choose a player that you would want your. Daughter to date.

-Choose someone from major metropolitan areas over kids from Nowheresville.

I have never heard any rumors suggesting that they do this, but it would make corporate sense if they did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)

Diego is short, slow and prone to trying to make a miracle pass when the merely simple pass would do.

Nevertheless, he's undoubtedly the most talented, creative and effective attacking player in the U-23 pool (excluding U-23 players who have "graduated" to the senior team full time, like Gio).

Infuriating that Diego was snubbed. Don't know if there's something going on behind the scenes (attitude, chemistry, etc.), but there better be to justify this mishandling.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

It could be as simple as:

With an 18 man roster, we can’t afford to bring a field player who doesn’t play defense and can only play one position.

They would never say:  “Diego is too fucking lazy and selfish for an 18 man roster.”

But it could simply be that. 

If you had a 26 man Olympic roster like the Copa America & the Euros, he probably is on the team. 

We are left to wonder. 
🤔

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Waldo's always been a douche.

Are there any former USMNT types active on twitter that aren't assholes?  Honest question, because I can't keep straight which ones are on which side of which issue, and they all seem like they suck.

I will forever love Twellman's rant, but other than that, I can't name a good take off the top of my head from any of them.