USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

Our centre backs are the weakest players on the field and the majority of our problems stem from that. If we had better center backs we could shift Reyna to the 10 instead of having to use Adams as a 3rd center back

Hopefully Dest comes back healthy. Nobody else will push the ball up the pitch. Scally was a non entity. 

16 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Our centre backs are the weakest players on the field and the majority of our problems stem from that. If we had better center backs we could shift Reyna to the 10 instead of having to use Adams as a 3rd center back

Hopefully Dest comes back healthy. Nobody else will push the ball up the pitch. Scally was a non entity. 

This is true which is also why it’s so perplexing the Brooks couldn’t even get a sniff under Berhalter. I will bet Brooks is back in the picture after this. Not that he’s going to be great, but he will at least be better completion than someone like CCV. 

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

This is true which is also why it’s so perplexing the Brooks couldn’t even get a sniff under Berhalter. I will bet Brooks is back in the picture after this. Not that he’s going to be great, but he will at least be better completion than someone like CCV. 

Brooks & Auston Trusty should at least be called in for looks.

I hope that the new manager calls in 35 guys and then uses the camps as tryouts to see who makes the rosters for the friendlies.

So many times Gregg would call in 25 for a a roster that could see 26 players on the game day squad.

So many times the reporters/announcers would dismiss calling in [Player X] or [Player Y], because-

They haven’t been called into camp before, so they won’t be called in for this game.

[Rage+1 emoji]

Lastly: I believe that there will be a 2025 Gold Cup.

This is a great opportunity to see which players are willing to work their asses off to 1) Make the squad & 2) Win a tournament that we absolutely should win.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Brooks & Auston Trusty should at least be called in for looks.

I hope that the new manager calls in 35 guys and then uses the camps as tryouts to see who makes the rosters for the friendlies.

So many times Gregg would call in 25 for a a roster that could see 26 players on the game day squad.

So many times the reporters/announcers would dismiss calling in [Player X] or [Player Y], because-

They haven’t been called into camp before, so they won’t be called in for this game.

[Rage+1 emoji]

Lastly: I believe that there will be a 2025 Gold Cup.

This is a great opportunity to see which players are willing to work their asses off to 1) Make the squad & 2) Win a tournament that we absolutely should win.

If they do not at least make the final then....

Seinfeld Soup GIF

IMG_7102.thumb.jpeg.cdfe1166f11bf9e69e575e478539bdb1.jpeg

image.jpeg.0a063fd8cc80b1d67afb9c47903ea744.jpeg

TOP STORY: Inter Miami interested in McKennie

Juventus midfielder and USMNTinternational Weston McKennie has received interest from MLS side Inter Miami CF, reports La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The 25-year-old has been linked with Premier League club Aston Villa in recent times, but could now join a different ambitious project that would see him team up with the likes of Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, Luis Suárezand Jordi Alba.

There is also the notion that a move to Miami would allow McKennie to become a central figure of the sport and its development within the United States.

This comes after an underwhelming showing from the USMNT at the Copa América and ahead of co-hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2026.

McKennie would have to accept a reduction in salary to join Miami but could see an increase in his value from advertising and positively impact his perception within the United States.

Juventus consider the midfielder as somebody who will leave, although there is also interest in him from within Europe.

Going to Turkey doesn't appeal to the 25-year-old, and there is also interest from Germany -- where he previously turned out for Schalke 04 -- but the suggestion of an American move is interesting for him.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40549480/transfer-talk-inter-miami-linked-juventus-mckennie

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

In case he wasn’t fat enough.

a transfer to the MLS would pretty much ensure McKinnie shouldn’t be on the 2026 USMNT. He probably would be because he’s in the MLS, but he’ll be like fat Ronaldo out there

I think all the MLS talk is shit. If he comes to Miami of all teams it shows how beyond shit MLS is from an equity standpoint w.r.t salary cap

Canada is proving the importance of a real coach. They have 1/10th of our total population, a weaker soccer culture, and fewer top flight players (maybe 3-4 players in top European leagues, compared to our 20-ish). But they’re outplaying an Uruguay squad that was looking like the best team in Copa through the round of eight.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Canada is proving the importance of a real coach. They have 1/10th of our total population, a weaker soccer culture, and fewer top flight players (maybe 3-4 players in top European leagues, compared to our 20-ish). But they’re outplaying an Uruguay squad that was looking like the best team in Copa through the round of eight.

Props to Canada for their efforts in this game. But let's not oversell Uruguay coming into this game. They were good, but best team? No. That's the teams in the finals.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Props to Canada for their efforts in this game. But let's not oversell Uruguay coming into this game. They were good, but best team? No. That's the teams in the finals.

That’s using hindsight. Through the group stage, Uruguay looked like the best team in the tournament. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

image.gif.d1943389149621a0d36bfe3cf474f465.gif

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The Cap’n is wrong about a lot of things, but he isn’t wrong about this. 

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

That’s using hindsight. Through the group stage, Uruguay looked like the best team in the tournament. 

Darwin Nuñez knew that the object of the game of soccer (fútbol/futebol) is to:

put the ️ into the 🥅 

He had more opportunities than anyone in the tournament (eye test) and only made a couple of goals. He could have easily had 5, maybe more. 

And Darwin wasn’t just their best striker, he was their only striker. If Darwin were to face a defense worth a shit, Uruguay’s likelihood of scoring was less than 50%.

Colombia has been the best team in CONMEBOL for the last 18 months, they were the most in-form team in the pre-tournament friendlies, they are the only team that  I told my gambling addict friend to put some money on before the tournament (he got 10:1 odds), and they are the team I have expected to win it all since we saw Messi looking his age in the opening match of the tournament.

I pull for Argentina, but unless the refs do some sneaky shit, I absolutely think that Colombia should win. And it has been obvious from the start. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

This guy shouldn't have even been playing in Copa America and GGG decided to start him multiple matches. That's an astonishing lack of leadership. Sometimes you have to do what's best for the player even if they don't like it. It's way more important to have Adams healthy and playing for 2026 and now he's looking at yet another lengthy period on the sideline. I don't think he should be called in for any matches until he proves he's healthy enough to play for his club.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I started to make a new topic for the Olympics + the U-20 Concacaf tourney which started last week.

The US beat the bejesus out of Jamaica.  I think it was 9-0.  They're playing again tonight on FS1 or FS2.  I think it's at 9PM CDT.  I'm not as in to these tourney as I was in the good old days when Bradenton was around.  IIRC, quite a few eventual US stars went through Bradenton - Donovan, Dempsey (I think), Gooch, a few others.  

I think the first Olympic game is Wed night.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

IIRC, quite a few eventual US stars went through Bradenton - Donovan, Dempsey (I think), Gooch, a few others.  

Dempsey was not a Bradenton product. He was as bootstrapped/homegrown as it gets. Even spent three years at college, playing for the mighty Furman Paladins.

Can't think of a single other field player in history who "developed" for three years in the NCAAs and ultimately found their way to the top-level of European club soccer (Premiership, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1).

Edited by Braff Zacklin
**field
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dempsey was not a Bradenton product. He was as bootstrapped/homegrown as it gets. Even spent three years at college, playing for the mighty Furman Paladins.

Can't think of a single other field player in history who "developed" for three years in the NCAAs and ultimately found their way to the top-level of European club soccer (Premiership, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1).

I'm sure there's a handful. Lalas played a season in Serie A. Reyna (sr.) played 3 years at Virginia.

Those were both in the 90s, though. The landscape for youth soccer in the US makes it extremely unlikely now (for an attacking player like Dempsey - at least).

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Tim Ream?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - another good one. 

I bet there's 15 or 20, honestly. It isn't particularly hard to play for a shitty top 5 side for a season. 

Ben Olson was on his way until his ankle got destroyed while on loan to Nottingham Forest.

He was basically “Claudio Reyna: Take 2”, but his ankle & ligaments and what have you got blown up in a game and then he went from being a skilled attacking midfielder to DM who made up for his diminutive size with heart and excessive physicality.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Bocanegra

That's the one I was fairly sure of that I was trying to think of. 

That's 10. I said I bet there's 15.

College soccer probably isn't that shitty of a development track... we tend to be good at sports and dominate the Olympics every 4 years.

Edited by ztejas