USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  Plus.  Didn't see Panama's goalie until about the 20th.  The US seems to have turned the corner now.

It's what I would do if I played us - punch the US in the mouth and see how they handle it.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'm all four it, with the caveat that all eight of those teams have the potential--nay, the probability--of placing better than every CONCACAF side.

It would be an unforeseen opportunity for the new coach to get games against good competition. The tournament would also be much better ran than Copa America. I wish they would do this every gold cup. I’d be much more excited about it rather than teams like Qatar coming. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

It would be an unforeseen opportunity for the new coach to get games against good competition. The tournament would also be much better ran than Copa America. I wish they would do this every gold cup. I’d be much more excited about it rather than teams like Qatar coming. 

Agreed. It'll just be super funny (and embarrassing) if the guest teams finish top two in every group and no CONCACAF side advances to the knockouts.

4 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Would be awesome if true:

don't post shit that requires a log in - copypasta and spoil if necessary - fuck any social media and any site that requires a log in - and if your site won't load instantly over fiber because of the adservers, i'm gone

expanded copa oro is only of value if:

concacaf cedes control to uefa for everything - security, tickets, tv, all of it, with USSF, FMF and CSA apprentices assigned to shadow their UEFA mentors 7x24

MLS owners and clubs have ZERO involvement in ANYTHING AT ALL

NO MLS INVOLVEMENT AT ALL

FOX IS ALLOWED TO BROADCAST THE PRODUCT

FOX IS NOT ALLOWED IN ANY WAY TO TOUCH THE PRODUCT

ALL PRODUCTION, SOUND, CAMERAS, VAR, TRUCKS, PRODUCTION - FUCKING ALL OF IT - is run by the English FA and the Prem - NONFUCKINGNEGOTIABLE

every pitch is regulation 110 x 70 REAL FUCKING GRASS from a REAL VENDOR installed WEEKS before the tournament

EVERY STADIUM IS INDOORS AND READY 3 WEEKS BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT AND IF IT COLLIDES WITH YOUR MLS SCHEDULE THEN GET THE FUCK OUT

ALL REFERREES FROM UEFA COUNTRIES - NO CAF REFS - NO CONMEBOL REFS - NO CONCACAF REFS - NO AFC REFS

other than UEFA refs - NO OTHER CONFEDERATIONS AT ALL

i think that about covers it

that would make an expanded orocopa of value, which would be nice

Spoiler

According to transfermarkt, Mexico's squad includes 3 US-born players:

Quakes GK Emmanuel Ochoa - He has started 3 of Mexico's 5 games so far
    San Luis mid Jonantan Villal  - He has started 2 of Mexico's 5 games so far
    Chivas mid Brandon Tellez  - He has started 3 of Mexico's 5 games so far

... and the US squad includes the following 3 Mexican citizens (David Vazquez is listed only as a US citizen):

Sergio Oregel, Chicago
    Cruz Medina, San Jose
    Ruben Ramos, Galaxy

Also, as described here previously, Seattle's Obed Vargas and Chivas' Fidel Barajas are age-eligible but not at this tournament.

7 of these 8 of these players were developed primarily by MLS academies. The other one, Barajas, was developed primarily at Sacramento's USL academy. This is yet another reminder of how these academies have opened doors to players who used to get frozen out.

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Phew!

Got away with one, even if that's the correct call. That was some poor play from the US there and lucky that El Tri didn't tie it up.

Not taking care of the first pass in caused a big problem that they couldn’t recover from. 

Just now, Captain Ron said:

Not taking care of the first pass in caused a big problem that they couldn’t recover from. 

Yup. Huge goalkeeping gaffe. If you come off your line, you better get to the ball.

On the other hand, him coming off the line caused the El Tri player to be offsides! lmao

But that was pure luck.

Just now, Napoleon said:

Great refereeing!

Fuck yeah. Moar El Tri cautions, please.

Argetina's Olympic team was acting just as bitchassed after losing to France the other day. But you know the difference? The Albiceleste have stars on their crest. El Tri ain't got shit!

LoL that's hilarious.

EDIT: Ref was not objective or competent, but even so, those US defenders need to learn to not ball/clock watch and play to the whistle. All of them deserve shame for their marking effort in the box. Just lazy, lazy defending. 

Edited by Braff Zacklin