USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

That ref should be sent back to the Peruvian semi-pro league he came from. 

image.thumb.png.580512bc79603136714cc90c7d378773.png

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So it's possible that Pulisic told these guys to go celebrate with Uruguay right before this. That arm wave at 0:02 might have been a continuation of something he earlier said to the refs. Taylor Twellman posted a video of this, but later removed it and corrected that maybe CP said something else, but I still had it up when it was pulled, so ....

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

You give him too much benefit of the doubt on his tactics. I don't even think his tactics were to save his job,, I still think Gregg is as clueless as they come when it comes to coaching. Nothing in his 74 games in charge tells me he really understands coaching this sport.

what, you don't think is impressive? lol

image.png.6aa5597cba098236b0ec2a415a9f2a5f.png

he's the least impressive coach ever hired by the USSF, which is saying something. he has no results to speak of. he has failed at basically every hurdle out there except having the luck to go against Mexico at one of the lowest points in their recent history.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard a discussion that paying the USMNT coach the same salary amount as the USWNT coach was one reason why the US Federation likely won't be able to replace "Triple G" with a better coach.

🙄

Just give her a raise. The amount of money a successful USA men's national team would make the federation pales in comparison to the small amount of money they would lose giving the women's coach a raise. 

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard a discussion that paying the USMNT coach the same salary amount as the USWNT coach was one reason why the US Federation likely won't be able to replace "Triple G" with a better coach.

🙄

There seems to be a debate around this that @Captain Ron @Hagbard Celine were having - the net of it being that it doesn't seem clear if that is really the case or not. Depends on if the CBA extends to coaches or is just for the players.

And regardless, coaches salary really has dick all to do with it. You can get a perfectly good national team coach for pretty damn cheap (just look at Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, etc...). I've said it before, but as far as coaching jobs go, national team manager is about is as easy as it gets. The hard part is putting your ego aside and putting the players first. Which GGG is abysmal at. 

Edited by dieucla98

Do the right thing, resign "Triple G"  🙄

So what's next? After the match, U.S. Soccer sporting director Matt Crocker issued the following statement:

"Our tournament performance fell short of our expectations. We must do better. We will be conducting a comprehensive review of our performance in Copa América and how best to improve the team and results as we look towards the 2026 World Cup."

This sounds suspiciously similar to the process that was used after the U.S. women were bounced from the Women's World Cup last year in the round of 16, its earliest World Cup exit. A few weeks later, then-manager Vlatko Andonovski resigned. It won't be a surprise if Berhalter suffers a similar outcome.

24 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

image.png.f2cfef9065f8f505ac6467969097a9df.png

Watching the replay I finally realized he didn't play advantage.  A Uruguayan put his hand on the ball to set it and played a quick restart.  Now that also shouldn't be allowed while you're in the process of holding up a card but he didn't actually play an advantage.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Any serious federation fires him at this point. There’s simply no reason whatsoever to retain him. The results have stagnated at a level that is not good enough. What would be gained by retaining him? What would be lost by firing him? Nothing.

Put me in the camp that thinks we can and should be able to do better than Matt Turner. He has regressed as a player as evidenced by his total failure in England so far. I think he could have done better on the goal. 

I concur that the players should not have much if any say in who the coach is. Often times great coaches can be real motherfuckers. See Jake Arrieta’s comments on Schloss for a very recent example. However, anyone questioning the on field effort and heart of this group needs to get their eyesight checked ASAP. Pulisic, McKennie, and Adams all absolutely played their asses off last night. Pulisic in particular leaves it all out there every time. He was the only guy on the team that gave a single fuck during the disaster in Couva. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

If he had any goddamn respect or pride he would call a press conference and commit seppuku. 

This. I am not a soccer guy. But here's what I see as desired behavior in a head coach, in any sport: a guy that could have a perfect gameplan, could coach a perfect game, then a player makes a big mistake that costs the team the game, and the coach says "it's on me, not the player".

This cheesedick is all about excuses. It's never his fault. You know, the guy in charge of everything. It's so mind bogglingly fucking stupid and honestly insulting to the audience at this point. These are the kinds of things you see in minor leagues, not from a known team on an international stage.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Do we though?

I think the US absolutely has the players to make it through to the KO stage of the Copa. Not saying they could beat Brazil or Argentina but they certainly have the talent to make some noise. Toughen up the team, simplify the game plan, play guys in their appropriate positions, and remove loser bullshit culture like telling the team the score of a different game in the middle of our game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why because he thinks Pulisic is overrated? He is overrated. He’s a good player but he plays so much hero ball, doesn’t score often enough, and isn’t the level of guys like Dempsey.

Oh boy. Here we go.

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I think the main argument from last night was that Pulisic is soft. I disagree with that. 

Thank you.

Pulisic - I think the guy is tough. He throws himself around out there.

BUT  ....

@hobbes2702 is right about one thing - he goes off on hero ball with our team a little too often. Last night was a great example with about 10 minutes to play he was doing way too much on his own. The result was him missing open men, etc.

AND ... I really question if he is a leader on this team. When the team is down and they need that leadership spark - I don't see it from him. Again, see running hero ball instead of "taking over"

And lastly, I feel like he gets whiny when the chips are really down and things aren't going our way.

There was a lot of talk about comparing this team to past, early 2000's teams - in terms of toughness - it wasn't close. See the Gatorade commercial I posted. Those guys had some dog in them. I don't see it with the players on this team.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think this debate of soft, tough, leaders, etc that we are having about this team demonstrates another reason why Gregg isn't the right guy. Because this team doesn't have a real player leader, the coach needs to be the leader and he needs to find and make one on the field.

Agreed. The locker room needs a strong leadership presence from the coach with this current group--not a buddy...

31 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Pulisic is a better club player than we have ever had. He is still firmly behind Donovan and Dempsey on the international stage. Not sure why people have a hard time understanding that club and country are separate. 

Based on what?

Dempsey - 57 goals, 19 assists, 13 years, 141 caps

Landon - 57 goals, 58 assists (holy shit), 14 years, 157 caps

CP - 40 goals, 16 assists, 8 years, 70 caps

I don't see "firmly behind" here. I see, at best, it's too early to know but the ratios favor CP other than assists vs Landon.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think this debate of soft, tough, leaders, etc that we are having about this team demonstrates another reason why Gregg isn't the right guy. Because this team doesn't have a real player leader, the coach needs to be the leader and he needs to find and make one on the field.

Adding on that, there’s 2 types of player leaders.  1 who leads by the way he carries  himself in practice and on the field, and another who’s more of an emotional, rah rah leader who may be a guy who lays it all out there but isn’t physically gifted like the other guy.   

Pulisic is clearly the first guy, and not the emotional leader.   I think we don’t have an emotional leader of the team either on the pitch, or on the sideline.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Adding on that, there’s 2 types of player leaders.  1 who leads by the way he carries  himself in practice and on the field, and another who’s more of an emotional, rah rah leader who may be a guy who lays it all out there but isn’t physically gifted like the other guy.   

Pulisic is clearly the first guy, and not the emotional leader.   I think we don’t have an emotional leader of the team either on the pitch, or on the sideline.  

I'd argue for Tyler Adams, if he could manage to stay on the pitch for a full 90m for more than 1 game a year.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Based on what?

Dempsey - 57 goals, 19 assists, 13 years, 141 caps

Landon - 57 goals, 58 assists (holy shit), 14 years, 157 caps

CP - 40 goals, 16 assists, 8 years, 70 caps

I don't see "firmly behind" here. I see, at best, it's too early to know but the ratios favor CP other than assists vs Landon.

Didn't realize how many assists Landon had, damn that is crazy. Dempsey was a true leader. I think CP lacks leadership and gets whiny when the going gets tough. I guess maybe I am biased against him because I have hated our teams from 2016-2024 because they underachieve and underperform against good teams and he rarely shows up when it matters (with the exception of Iran). But his goals per Cap is actually pretty good.