2024 Weight Loss/Exercise Thread

On 7/13/2024 at 10:07 PM, Basil said:

Just an fyi - my fatass tried to lose weight for years while drinking way too much. Never worked more than a blip here and there. Quit drinking and turned into a skinny bitch in six months.

You’ll sleep better, wake up earlier, get more done. 

When you drink today all you do is borrow happiness from tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 4

I've said it before (maybe on this thread or another), but I've done dry January for many years, and the older I get (I'll be 50 in December) the more I notice how just dropping alcohol for one month will make a very significant difference in my body fat.  Alcohol is not only empty calories, but it fucks with your metabolism more as you get older.
One of my best friends who turns 51 in a couple months has been complaining about putting on more weight the past couple years despite a fairly regimented exercise schedule.  I would never tell her this, but a 50 year old woman can't drink 2+ glasses of wine each weeknight and more on the weekend and not expect the weight gains to kick in.  And her husband likely won't tell her either if he wants to continue getting laid.

Does she do resistance training?

A woman over 40 must include weight training as their primary workout routine for the most part. Cardio can actually make cortisol spike for women, which is its own set of issues.

It’s worth asking because working out hard with no results sucks ass. I doubt 2 glasses of wine would have a greater impact.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tigol said:

Does she do resistance training?

A woman over 40 must include weight training as their primary workout routine for the most part. Cardio can actually make cortisol spike for women, which is its own set of issues.

It’s worth asking because working out hard with no results sucks ass. I doubt 2 glasses of wine would have a greater impact.

She does weights and something like a HIIT workout with a trainer.  

Part of it is the bitch of premenopausal hormones.  But I don't think her alcohol consumption is doing her any favors.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, South Austin said:

I've said it before (maybe on this thread or another), but I've done dry January for many years, and the older I get (I'll be 50 in December) the more I notice how just dropping alcohol for one month will make a very significant difference in my body fat.  Alcohol is not only empty calories, but it fucks with your metabolism more as you get older.

One of my best friends who turns 51 in a couple months has been complaining about putting on more weight the past couple years despite a fairly regimented exercise schedule.  I would never tell her this, but a 50 year old woman can't drink 2+ glasses of wine each weeknight and more on the weekend and not expect the weight gains to kick in.  And her husband likely won't tell her either if he wants to continue getting laid.

Let’s say 8 glasses of wine during week,

8 more during the weekend.   I’d bet she goes straight to bed after?   Each glass of wine is roughly 100 empty calories?

Got my annual bloodwork yesterday. Total cholesterol at 125, down from 167 the year before, which was down from close to the high level a couple years ago. HDL has gotten low though, and probably because I haven’t been as good about eating fish and I recently stopped taking my omega supplement.

IMG_9112.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Moved my cardio outdoors this summer and it’s kicking my butt.  (Yes is does get hot in South Dakota as well.)

What do you guys like for ‘lectrolyte hydration drinks?  I’m doing the Pedialyte Advanced powder atm, but I want something sugar free.

Moved my cardio outdoors this summer and it’s kicking my butt.  (Yes is does get hot in South Dakota as well.)
What do you guys like for ‘lectrolyte hydration drinks?  I’m doing the Pedialyte Advanced powder atm, but I want something sugar free.

sqwincher

It on Amazon. I am in the safety business and it’s by far the most popular and not because of the price, not cheap. I keep a freezer full of their pops for the warehouse guys as well as the fast packs by the water cooler.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Is it possible to gain muscle while IF?  I lift in the morning, right in the middle of my fast.   Basically I can get leaner but seems like I won’t be able to gain weight unless I consume protein right after

I think the problem of lifting weights during IF is that your glycogen stores are depleted, so during and after your workout your body will break down your muscles for energy.  Consuming protein right after your workout won't help with that.  

And on a related note, I've read that the need to consume protein during some magical window right after your workout is a myth, because protein synthesis (the process where your body uses protein to repair and grow the muscles that have broken down after a workout) doesn't occur until at least 24 hour after the workout. 

You do need a macro level of protein consumption a day, and it needs to be spread out because your body can't absorb more than about 25 grams of protein in one setting.  But you don't really need to rush home to slam a protein drink immediately after a workout.

• Like 2

Intermittent Fasting is not a diet, it is a tool to help you reduce your daily caloric intake. It makes absolutely no difference if you eat X amount of calories a day spaced out evenly throughout the day, or if you restrict yourself to only eating that same amount of calories within a 4 or 6 hour window.

If the amount of total calories consumed is less than your TDEE over a set amount of time, you will lose weight. The timing of the caloric intake on a daily basis is irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Saw 180s on the scale for the first time in a while this week, also was able to wear size 30x32 for first time in 20 years. Don’t remember having to find a leg to put my balls in though.  

Been at 182 for my last week of weigh ins. 23 lbs down since February. Joined a gym for the first time in 10 years (I have barbell/ bench/squat rack at home). I’ve given up on squats for now, and it’s nice being able to get a good leg work out with the leg press machine without crippling myself for a week due to my back. The stretch at the bottom actually feels good in a painful sort of way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 7:46 PM, Parliament said:

On 7/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, Js1 said:

I’m partial to Gatorade zero or Powerade zero 

We use some higher quality powders like ultima. I’ll use biolyte in a pinch, I avoid the gatorades and Powerades unless it’s all there is.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

also not a regular participant here but I've been on an anti-inflammatory / low histamine diet for some lingering post covid BS and it's been GREAT.  lean (fresh) meat proteins (chicken breast, some pork, some fish),  eggs, most vegetables (squash of all kinds, carrots, root veggies, most lettuce/leafy greens (not all), broccoli, green beans, brussels sprouts, etc.), limited but enough fruits (avoid citrus, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes) and then cook with salt, pepper and olive oil. gentle cooking of vegetables so steam or roast but not to a crisp. I can eat most nuts and seeds and then whole grains (typically a muesli and oat milk for breakfast).

I have been very strict about what I eat/don't eat but within those confines I eat when hungry until I'm full.  I'm probably at less than 3g of added sugar a day and no saturated fats not present in the lean meats I've been eating.

My taste buds have radically reset and I find the fresh foods to be interesting and frankly delicious.

In 5 weeks I've lost 18 pounds while still eating three meals a day and snacking often. I'm about 3 pounds from my high end weight when I was 40 (9 years ago).

I'd say it was an easy route to go but the start would have been harder but for a serious health scare with covid which made a strict diet the first two weeks super easy to adopt.

tl;dr - no gimmick diet with lean meat protein, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains, olive oil, salt and pepper to the exclusion of all other foods is game changer diet, prolly how we are supposed to eat and the pounds just fall off.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

^^ not quoting that for y’all’s sanity.

But similar. Since February I haven’t hit a FF restaurant once. I take my lunch to work, or if I do go out I’ll grab sushi. Bread products maybe every few weeks, and it’s labeled keto friendly (lol). The walking at 6a everyday is key, depending on how many snoozes I hit it’s 1.62 to 2.15 miles each morning including weekends at between a 16:30 - 17:15 pace. End of day I am between 13k-17k steps.

Lifestyle change. Should have done it years ago, I now look forward to my morning walks listening to CFB shows and dodging skunks, horseflies, and the occasional copperhead.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holding steady around 155 to 160. Feels great. Challenging part is going off diet and not gain it all back. I'm in great condition from the gym though so I'm confident if I keep that up the fitness and not swerve too far off the diet that I'll hold steady at the weight. So far so good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

^^ not quoting that for y’all’s sanity.

But similar. Since February I haven’t hit a FF restaurant once. I take my lunch to work, or if I do go out I’ll grab sushi. Bread products maybe every few weeks, and it’s labeled keto friendly (lol). The walking at 6a everyday is key, depending on how many snoozes I hit it’s 1.62 to 2.15 miles each morning including weekends at between a 16:30 - 17:15 pace. End of day I am between 13k-17k steps.

Lifestyle change. Should have done it years ago, I now look forward to my morning walks listening to CFB shows and dodging skunks, horseflies, and the occasional copperhead.

Agree with the early morning walks.  If I don't get a walk or run or workout in early I'm more likely to eat like crap.  

50 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Agree with the early morning walks.  If I don't get a walk or run or workout in early I'm more likely to eat like crap.  

Supposedly walking right after dinner is pretty important too for blood sugar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t mean to upset anyone. I’ve been meaning to attempt to drop 20 for a while and haven’t had the will power to do it for 3-4 years at least. Covid induced and untreated asthma coupled with panic attacks put me on the course I’m on. By the time I was sleeping again I had dropped 8-10 lbs, so in addition to trying to knock the inflammation out I decided to just keep going. Normally I’m like…

IMG_4762.jpeg

and I’m really sad to say I’m coming around to the notion that alcohol is just bad in any amount.  And I’m not sure what I’m going to do about that once I kick this temp issue to the side. I don’t see giving up red wine, but the evidence against any alcohol use including anecdotally in my life is pretty damning, even the red wine argument is now “it’s less bad” but the argument red wine in moderation is good for you is dead. I’m sad.

Edited by troph
  • Like 3

I didn’t mean to upset anyone. I’ve been meaning to attempt to drop 20 for a while and haven’t had the will power to do it for 3-4 years at least. Covid induced and untreated asthma coupled with panic attacks put me on the course I’m on. By the time I was sleeping again I had dropped 8-10 lbs, so in addition to trying to knock the inflammation out I decided to just keep going. Normally I’m like…

IMG_4762.thumb.jpeg.90dc63061571e7c8705afa514db8f4ff.jpeg

and I’m really sad to say I’m coming around to the notion that alcohol is just bad in any amount.  And I’m not sure what I’m going to do about that once I kick this temp issue to the side. I don’t see giving up red wine, but the evidence against any alcohol use including anecdotally in my life is pretty damning, even the red wine argument is now “it’s less bad” but the argument red wine in moderation is good for you is dead. I’m sad.

I’ll have a glass a night if I open a bottle. Cutting out the drinking while hanging in the pool has been MUCH harder.

18 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I’ll have a glass a night if I open a bottle. Cutting out the drinking while hanging in the pool has been MUCH harder.

sparkling rose poolside on a sunday afternoon is heavenly.

everyone should induce a panic attack health scare and the "change in lifestyle" becomes a walk in the park. only half kidding. wife and kids had pizza last night. I avoided it for dinner by ignoring it. But late night, I was in trouble, I basically ate one of everything on my permissible list while shaking from temptation, NY style greasy pepperoni pizza is my comfort food.

Edited by troph
  • Like 2

sparkling rose poolside on a sunday afternoon is heavenly.
everyone should induce a panic attack health scare and the "change in lifestyle" becomes a walk in the park. only half kidding. wife and kids had pizza last night. I avoided it for dinner by ignoring it. But late night, I was in trouble, I basically ate one of everything on my permissible list while shaking from temptation, NY style greasy pepperoni pizza is my comfort food.

And because you work out, that one time indulgence won’t even register on the scale.

21 minutes ago, tigol said:

And because you work out, that one time indulgence won’t even register on the scale.

that's true but five or six years ago I was a daily drinker at least 2 drinks per day and 4 on Friday and Saturday. 18 drinks a week - not good. Honestly I don't even want to talk about my prior life, that was 4x per day and 6x on the weekends. really not good. I digress, and then I did the dry January thing and cut way back ended each year though back at 2x per day, 14 per week. annual intake was way down, but by football season it was daily so close to half the year still not good. The last year that's changed even more. I think 6 per week is where I need to land for health*, weight gain with 6 per week likely won't be an issue.

*but if we shift from weight gain/loss to inflammation and cancer risks the answer regarding alcohol is only zero is truly acceptable. new research is showing light drinkers (6 per week would qualify) are still 10-15% higher risk for about 30 ways of dying prematurely. that's nuts. and red wine will have a counter influence but not enough to make that risk equivalent to non-drinkers. so 7-10% higher risk of many forms of premature death from enjoying a nice pinot on regular occasion. that's depressing.

dropping it all together is such a great health move, I bet your body loves you for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

This might be anecdotal for me only but I have coffee mid day most days and it reduces my appetite. It's not perfect but it can help. 

Also, if you verge off the diet and binge don't think all is lost. The food you consumed could allow for a better workout and give you a bit more energy. So if it happens again,  plan for a longer workout that day or next and see if that holds true for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigol said:

I gave it up completely due to concerns that I was self medicating.

Spoiler alert: I was.

I didn’t drop a pound from it until I started working out.

I also gave it up because I was self-medicating but weight started flying off me when I did.  Like from fat, right past dad bod into kind of scrawny old man.  And then I didn't put on more than 5 pounds in the months being sidelined after knee surgery.  I  weigh less now than I did in college and law school.  Guess my body really doesn't like alcohol.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2024 at 12:37 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Been at 182 for my last week of weigh ins. 23 lbs down since February. Joined a gym for the first time in 10 years (I have barbell/ bench/squat rack at home). I’ve given up on squats for now, and it’s nice being able to get a good leg work out with the leg press machine without crippling myself for a week due to my back. The stretch at the bottom actually feels good in a painful sort of way. 

First time my weight has fluctuated in to the 170s since 2017 today.  Hopefully it sticks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Was on vacation the final week or July and first week of August and got out of my usual gym routine, and obviously ate and drank a shitload. Finally had a normal 5-day week last week and got back to the gym, though I probably only lifted at about 80% of my usual weight levels. This week it's back to full effort. 

I'm really pleased with where I am today, strength-wise, compared to when I got serious about getting back in shape back in Spring of '22, but still want to shed more fat off my mid-section. Gonna extend the amount of time I spend on cardio before lifting and try and be a little stricter about my diet during the week. Once the weather gets a little more tolerable, planning to do a lot more outdoor activity this Fall on top of usual gym work during the week. Much longer walks with the dogs, 15+ mile bike rides on the weekends...etc.

Haven't weighed myself in ages, but I assume I'm currently a hair under 200 and probably ~22% body fat. Going to hop on the scale tomorrow morning after weekend bloating subsides and start actually tracking my weight again. Long-term goal is to get down to 188 and drop 3-4% more body fat by end of January '25.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:18 AM, tigol said:

I've had 3 glasses of wine in the last 3 days (1 on friday, 2 on sunday) and I've stopped losing weight. really no other changes.  could be mild inflammation/water retention I guess that when it recedes will show some losses, but still after a steady 1 month decline, I have a couple of drinks and we hit the brakes.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, troph said:

I've had 3 glasses of wine in the last 3 days (1 on friday, 2 on sunday) and I've stopped losing weight. really no other changes.  could be mild inflammation/water retention I guess that when it recedes will show some losses, but still after a steady 1 month decline, I have a couple of drinks and we hit the brakes.

I hear you.  My weight can fluctuate in swings of 5-10lbs in either direction depending on hormones, water retention, etc.  The overall result is a decline when looking at a 6 month+ period of exercise and eating at a deficit, but if you look week to week it is a frustrating zig-zag.  That could just be me.  It's probably why weight loss has been such a frustrating and discouraging experience throughout the course of my life.   The data from my fitbit has been the one thing that has kept me going without going insane.  I also mostly judge success by how I feel rather than numbers on the scale the vast majority of the time this effort, and I think it has made a big difference.  

22 minutes ago, tigol said:

I hear you.  My weight can fluctuate in swings of 5-10lbs in either direction depending on hormones, water retention, etc.  The overall result is a decline when looking at a 6 month+ period of exercise and eating at a deficit, but if you look week to week it is a frustrating zig-zag.  That could just be me.  It's probably why weight loss has been such a frustrating and discouraging experience throughout the course of my life.   The data from my fitbit has been the one thing that has kept me going without going insane.  I also mostly judge success by how I feel rather than numbers on the scale the vast majority of the time this effort, and I think it has made a big difference.  

You’re 100% right. The one meal I cheated with my sons during this time I ate half a burrito and it was 4 days before the retention subsided (I assume that’s it). No way it was a 2 pound weight gain. I actually think those drinks are working their way through now and I may be back at it in a day or two. But when I was being perfect - honestly out of fear - it was a a step down like clockwork but that was with absolutely nothing to cause an imbalance. I don’t have hormonal imbalances over a period of weeks they are daily so I’m not sure what effect they have on the rhythm of weight. 

it’s really interesting to see how sensitive our bodies really are to diet imperfections, once we get it all aligned. I’m certain I won’t be able to maintain this but I am going to try and enjoy it while it lasts.

On 7/23/2024 at 8:21 AM, South Austin said:

I think the problem of lifting weights during IF is that your glycogen stores are depleted, so during and after your workout your body will break down your muscles for energy.  Consuming protein right after your workout won't help with that.  

And on a related note, I've read that the need to consume protein during some magical window right after your workout is a myth, because protein synthesis (the process where your body uses protein to repair and grow the muscles that have broken down after a workout) doesn't occur until at least 24 hour after the workout. 

You do need a macro level of protein consumption a day, and it needs to be spread out because your body can't absorb more than about 25 grams of protein in one setting.  But you don't really need to rush home to slam a protein drink immediately after a workout.

Sorry, but this right here is completely false.

• Hook 'Em 1