2024 Weight Loss/Exercise Thread

On 10/9/2024 at 5:09 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Stan is awesome and someone I would not hesitate to consume advice and information from. At least when it comes to diet, exercise and health optimization.

Back in my mid 40's, about 10 years ago, I started paying more attention to my health for a period of time.

I got on a modified paleo type of diet that was really easy for me at the time. I didn't have any really horrible habits, so for me it was a matter of cutting out the simple carbs and hitting the protein and vegetables a little harder.

That diet was part of the Mark's Daily Apple protocol, which also inluded walking or other light movements for 3 to 5 hours per week, some body weight excercises, and some sprinting every 7 to 10 days.

It was all very effective and simple and I got down to the mid 170s and as a 48 to 52 year old man, I could do more than I could in my 20's, except for super high intensity stuff like running a mile in under 5 minutes or shorter equivalents 

I mention this for the body weight stuff, because in my early 50s there was some joint pain that flared up and I had to modify things but I didn't.

Only this summer at 57, did I humble myself and started working out with light dumbbell work, not with any plan, but just to do something other than sitting on my ass.

My joints would be sore and I felt like I was over the hill and a wreck.  But gradually, the soreness went down and my body adapted so I could do slighly more weight or more reps.

It was really amazing when you drop expectations and deadlines what can happen. I am talking very light weight like 25lbs dumbell  bench press and the like.

I mention this so that if you are discouraged or intimidated by losing weight or getting strong, just start by doing some things that don't hurt too much and stick with them. And rather than have expectations of losing 2 to 3 lbs per week. Lower that and just try to feel better and give it time.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If you’re 20’s “baseline” was Busch Light, Taco Bell and late nights, it’s surprisingly easy to beat it in your 50’s by living right.  Amazing we can do that, and sad I didn’t behave back then.  

I feel this. Even into my late 30s I was still eating and drinking like some idiot college kid, just not nearly as much on the food front. Once I started to take things seriously (gym 4+ days a week) and gradually cut back on the drinking (I'm doing at most 2-3 beers a week now) the weight started to come off fast. 

Hit below 180 for the first time since college just this past Saturday from a high in the 240s.

• Hook 'Em 5