Beer 2024: Your mom’s January won’t be dry.

People love to bitch and moan about the $18+ 4-packs of 16oz cans that have become so common in taprooms with the hazy IPA explosion, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone bitch about the PtE equivalent cost on a per ounce basis of $30.25.

I mean, I buy it whenever I come across it, too, but somehow RRBC is exempt from the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

For the record I’ll gladly pay that ($18) for a four pack from Great Heights and love me some Fruity Pebbles particularly since most pints cost around 8 bucks at breweries/bars…your question made me think of what are the actual ‘whale’ offerings in the U.S. and globally these days that people will pay top dollar for? I’d put Russian River, Treehouse and The Alchemist up there in the U.S.  Globally I guess Cantillon, the Trappist brewery that makes Westy 12 in Belgium? What others am I missing?

Fun fact: did you know there is a Taco Bell in Pacifica, CA that (1) is right on the beach and (2) has their own (surprisingly OK) IPA brewed for them?

31bd25fea03a659b3328eb8f1036d6e6.jpg

b2090c58caf6599bde956cc701d38cf9.jpg

c4ba23963ee52a240342851ac6d929b6.jpg

Also, just a few miles down south in the same center in Half Moon Bay, you can visit Half Moon Bay Brewing (good beers and food…just don’t order the fish tacos) as well as Hop Dogma. Their Alpha Dankapotamus just won a gold at the US Beer Open Championship for West Coast IPA

628f85293f4c5664b54727d12aaf86f6.jpg

0c80a60632b3e648554c8c18062af929.jpg
0a0c5ce300920d8190a8f3257f3f5429.jpg

216b6c1bd6338cfdbfe40424bee973a3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

franconia kolsch was good when it first came out but i haven't thought of them in years. 

just got back from CO. backcountry pizza in boulder had pliny for president. bierstadt slow pour pils still delicous. brought back a full cooler of shit we can't get in tx...weldworks, la cumbre, bierstadt, trve, etc. also hadn't thought about ska brewing in a long time but it was everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

just got back from CO. backcountry pizza in boulder had pliny for president. bierstadt slow pour pils still delicous. brought back a full cooler of shit we can't get in tx...weldworks, la cumbre, bierstadt, trve, etc. also hadn't thought about ska brewing in a long time but it was everywhere. 

mdmost and I were just there as well this weekend and I agree on Bierstadt’s pils being delicious. Plus, I felt so fancy whilst drinking what with the doily and all

cf53cd7845ddc0ce9f7781eac9c19de0.jpg

2c1f5fc777274d2700c862e409e27f0f.jpg

1 hour ago, stc said:

franconia kolsch was good when it first came out but i haven't thought of them in years. 

7 minutes ago, mdleast said:

mdmost and I were just there as well this weekend and I agree on Bierstadt’s pils being delicious. Plus, I felt so fancy whilst drinking what with the doily and all

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

On 4/10/2024 at 11:45 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

1973, Leakey Texas, Falstaff IMO

Falstaff Beer Holding Hands Marc St. Gil in Leakey 1973.jpg

Reminds me of when I was learning to scuba in lake Travis in the 90s. Shit ton of that style can on the bottom of the lake. 

Edited by HiggyBaby

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Passing through, so pretty flexible. Camping near Mt Hood and then spending a night at Nehalem Bay State Park. 

ones on the list so far:

pFriem in Hood River and/or Ferment next door

Solera

Double Mountain as well has some real good pizza in Hood River too. Volcanic Bottle Shop is like a mile away more in town too. Haven't been to the Hood River Common House yet.

Occidental's Fresh Hop Pils I think just came out and one I really like every year. Loyal Legion in Portland is always good too. But I still just enjoy going to the classics like Belmont Station and John's Marketplace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Texas Brewery/Brewpub #300

IMG_1140.thumb.jpeg.793036c7e6513516fe6459fa385c7d81.jpeg
There is no brewpub in Texas that has more money behind it than this place (I dont count Altsadt, they package their beer). Holy shit what a property. Too bad the beer sucks ass

this talyard’s brewing joint in sugar land is in for $10-15M. it’s a production brewery in addition to taproom & restaurant, but good god. i haven’t been yet and i imagine it will do very well, but the payback period on that kind of investment is a looong time.

2 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

this talyard’s brewing joint in sugar land is in for $10-15M. it’s a production brewery in addition to taproom & restaurant, but good god. i haven’t been yet and i imagine it will do very well, but the payback period on that kind of investment is a looong time.

I saw some footage that someone posted on my IG feed and damn it looks massive