Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

OU has pretty much prioritized football, softball and women’s gymnastics for their NIL.  They can outbid anyone, period 

I know which baskets OU's golden eggs are in, but what actually would keep Texas from competing with them for a given player in any sport? Sounds like we're just conceding much of the top softball talent to our biggest rival, which on the surface is puzzling. For one thing, a Director's Cup could easily hang on the performance of a women's team. But maybe no Texas softball supporter with major resources actually cares that much. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How do you miss a call like that when you're staring right at it? 

Total dogshit.  During the OU game, I noticed a female ump working 1st base that was terrible in the supers or regionals (I can't remember which one).  She's so bad I recognize her.  The quality of umpiring in college softball is abysmal.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

he said go and then said stop.  he has to work down the line so she can see the stop call after he tells her to go.

You say, "Yes", I say, "No" (I say, "Yes", but I may mean, "No")
You say, "Stop", I say, "Go, go, go" (I can stay still it's time to go)
Oh, oh no….you say goodbye, and I say hello!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We are probably rooting for Florida here. Let Canady and Kilfoyl battle it out in the loser’s bracket. I don’t want to face 2 of the 3 POY finalists in back to back games. 

Your wish has been granted!

I had to watch a recording because of an event tonight just finished … wow. 1 hit, 8 strike outs no runs. I was super nervous about this one. Stanford was never in it. Unreal performance.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s no way Canady stays at Stanford. She won’t win shit with this offense 

Why would anyone stick around for a free degree from Stanford?

She has to move if she wants to be the first pick in the Major League Softball 🥎 draft and get a $10M signing bonus. 

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yup and if she transfers to one of the top 5ish programs they will win the national title. 

A softball title from Shitball U will take her much farther in life than a Stanford degree.

8 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I guess it depends on whether she values a Stanford degree more than one from say … OU?

Yep… the ol’ Stanford degree vs OU degree dilemma that has always been such a difficult choice for the past 100+ years. 

image.gif.bf7bba02fafaf6c8f575f2d9b6b70306.gif

She’s from Topeka fucking Kansas and escaped to Stanford. My guess is that she could have gone to OU out of high school, but for some reason chose to go to one of the best colleges in the world. 

Surely she understands that Oklahoma is utopia for black women. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Your wish has been granted!

Be careful what you wish for, Rothrock is really good, and this Florida team can rake. Their offense is built much like the one at Texas. Speed throughout the order and a couple of big power bats sprinkled in. Wallace may be the best all around player in softball, and Ericksen is a great catcher and current SEC player of the year.

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Be careful what you wish for, Rothrock is really good, and this Florida team can rake. Their offense is built much like the one at Texas. Speed throughout the order and a couple of big power bats sprinkled in. Wallace may be the best all around player in softball, and Ericksen is a great catcher and current SEC player of the year.

You're not wrong.  But she can be had - 4 and 5 runs to SC, 4 to Georgia twice, 3 to OKST in the first matchup, 8 to FSU.  It should be a fun matchup! 

I'm a fan of playing different teams in OKC than having back-to-back games against 2 opponents we have now played 6 times total.  Which is difficult when Texas has played 4 of the other 7 teams in the WCWS a total of 11 times before OKC. 

If Texas gets 2-0 against Canady and Rothrock, they earned that spot in the semifinals.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You're not wrong.  But she can be had - 4 and 5 runs to SC, 4 to Georgia twice, 3 to OKST in the first matchup, 8 to FSU.  It should be a fun matchup! 

I'm a fan of playing different teams in OKC than having back-to-back games against 2 opponents we have now played 6 times total.  Which is difficult when Texas has played 4 of the other 7 teams in the WCWS a total of 11 times before OKC. 

If Texas gets 2-0 against Canady and Rothrock, they earned that spot in the semifinals.  

Saturday’s game could be a 3-2 type game or a 8-7 game….all depends on the pitching.

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Saturday’s game could be a 3-2 type game or a 8-7 game….all depends on the pitching.

And the hitting.  And the fielding.  And the 3rd-base coaching.  And the umping.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

And the 3rd-base coaching.

The never-ending mystery of if pointing to the bag means stay or go, because it seems like it could be both.  Mike White would be very bad at sign language.

American Sign Language No GIF by CSDRMS

• Haha 1

Just now, OU Sucks said:

The never-ending mystery of if pointing to the bag means stay or go, because it seems like it could be both.  Mike White would be very bad at sign language.

Mike needs to get further down the line instead of coaching right at the bag.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

My daughter got to meet and take a pic with the great Janae Jefferson yesterday. Her and Cat are signing autographs from 4-5 today inside the museum if anyone is gonna be here. 

20240530_160209.jpg

which one is your daughter?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

UF fans are bit cocky because they "beat aggy easily" and we struggled with aggy so therefore, they should beat us. 

Not that it matters but they've had an incredibly easy path so far.

Regionals (beat FGCU and South Alabama X2) and Super-regionals (beat Baylor). We had to beat better teams in our regional and super-regional. That's an insanely easy draw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://bvmsports.com/2024/05/30/cambria-salmon-drawn-to-intensity-and-competition-at-texas/

During her recruiting process, the talented 5-foot-9 right-handed pitcher took official visits to Florida, Oklahoma State, UCLA and Texas. While each was in the running, the culture at Texas set itself apart, as did the opportunity to learn from White, a former hurler in men’s fastpitch softball.

“When it came down to me making my decision on where I was going to go, the two I that I was thinking the most about were Texas and Florida,” Salmon said. “The biggest thing that made me choose Texas was the coaching and the intensity and competition through their program.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to RGV softball...2 RGV schools are heading to the State Championship game! 

5A Harlingen South beat Aledo 1-0 and 6A my alma mater Weslaco High beat (#1) Denton Guyer 5-3 in 13 innings! 

They are the first two valley softball teams to ever make it to the state final. Let's go ladies!

#Puro pinche 956

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

random question, is pro softball playing this year?  I remember JJ was on an Austin-based team, but have heard nothing about it this year.  

A quick Google search shows Athletes Unlimited pro softball starting in late July.  Janae Jefferson is on the Texas Smoke of the Women's Professional Fastpitch league.  Its website doesn't seem to offer up much information on the league.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to RGV softball...2 RGV schools are heading to the State Championship game! 

5A Harlingen South beat Aledo 1-0 and 6A my alma mater Weslaco High beat (#1) Denton Guyer 5-3 in 13 innings! 

They are the first two valley softball teams to ever make it to the state final. Let's go ladies!

#Puro pinche 956

When UTRGV added football, they needed to add a women’s sport to be title 9 compliant. I wonder why they chose swimming & diving instead of softball. Seems like there would be a better local recruiting pool, no pun intended, for softball than swimming

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

When UTRGV added football, they needed to add a women’s sport to be title 9 compliant. I wonder why they chose swimming & diving instead of softball. Seems like there would be a better local recruiting pool, no pun intended, for softball than swimming

Probably cheaper and easier to build a natatorium rather than finding space for a softball stadium

41 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Also Maya Bradys so hopefully she will go off against blow u. 

My dream scenario - Texas wins, OU loses, OU and Stanford have to battle, then one of them has to beat us twice in a row while trying to win 4 games in a row. Which no one has done except OKST

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My dream scenario - Texas wins, OU loses, OU and Stanford have to battle, then one of them has to beat us twice in a row while trying to win 4 games in a row. Which no one has done except OKST

OU vs Stanford would force Gasso to throw Maxwell again, and she looks tired to me. I agree, this is best case scenario for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

While you are dreaming, go ahead and say tree beats ou with canady and has to beat us twice with their offense and a tired canady or another pitcher. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1