Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

1 minute ago, Hookem10 said:

Is anyone else irritated with broadcast about canady being player of the year. Is that official because ESPN is running with it. I thought Atwood was still in it. 

Yes, Canady was named NFCA POY. They don’t bother to mention that Reese won D1 Softball or Softball America POY - just the coaches award 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hookem10 said:

Is anyone else irritated with broadcast about canady being player of the year. Is that official because ESPN is running with it. I thought Atwood was still in it. 

There are different POY awards. 

Canady won one that doesn't separate pitchers from hitters. Atwood won 2 other national POY awards

Texas‘ first ever WCWS run-rule win

Largest margin of victory for Texas in the WCWS

First back to back pitched shutouts for Texas in the WCWS

Mike says this is his first time going 2-0 at the WCWS between Oregon and Texas 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We gave UCLA their worst loss in program history earlier this year IIRC.  They are playing much better since then, but I'll be shocked if they beat us twice.  It's us and OU baby.  

Edited by bschoolprof

Just now, bschoolprof said:

We gave UCLA their worse loss in program history earlier this year IIRC.  They are playing much better since then, but I'll be shocked if they beat us twice.  It's us and OU baby.  

Yeah, it’s def looking like a RRS part two. Top 2 seeds, both would need to be beaten twice 

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think Stanford’s offense is much easier to handle and Canady will be throwing her 4th game since Thursday. 

I agree Stanford is the more favorable match up, especially if UCLA can make Canady grind for 7 innings

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I agree Stanford is the more favorable match up, especially if UCLA can make Canady grind for 7 innings

Well UCLA did sweep Stanford, handing Canady 2 losses 

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Does Mike try CG at all tomorrow or nah and just roll with TK?  

You’re going to need her in a 3 game series with OU. I think you have to get her some work tomorrow 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You’re going to need her in a 3 game series with OU. I think you have to get her some work tomorrow 

I was thinking the same thing.

we need CG to be rolling just as much as TK and MAC.  One thing for sure CG is probably our best big game pitcher and when she’s on she’s probably the best, only bad thing when she’s not, she’s our worse. Gotta get her going. 

At least in these last two games at the WCWS our pitchers have played there best games!!! Got faith CG can follow suit 

Edited by D3zii

16 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Was waiting until after the game to post this; my Weslaco Panthers are bringing home a state championship to the RGV!

After playing 13 innings last night and beating #1 Denton Guyer, they come back in the bottom of the 7th and win it with a grand slam (at McCombs Field!)! 

I believe it's the first ever Girls team sport State championship for the RGV and I'm pretty sure first ever state championship for Weslaco High.

Weslaco was down 7-3, gave up two HR in the top 7th to go down 9-3, then came all the way back. I'm pretty sure we don't have any D-1 recruits, Waco has a Texas A&M signee (#13 ranked player in the country) and a Baylor signee. 

Way to go Weslaco!!

#Puropinche956!

Forgot that Trey Faltine's mom is from Weslaco. She caught this clip from this morning's sportscenter! 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Was waiting until after the game to post this; my Weslaco Panthers are bringing home a state championship to the RGV!
After playing 13 innings last night and beating #1 Denton Guyer, they come back in the bottom of the 7th and win it with a grand slam (at McCombs Field!)! 
I believe it's the first ever Girls team sport State championship for the RGV and I'm pretty sure first ever state championship for Weslaco High.
Weslaco was down 7-3, gave up two HR in the top 7th to go down 9-3, then came all the way back. I'm pretty sure we don't have any D-1 recruits, Waco has a Texas A&M signee (#13 ranked player in the country) and a Baylor signee. 
Way to go Weslaco!!
#Puropinche956!

Point of order. It is Waco Midway which is like Westlake or Lake Travis are to Austin. We used to call Midway the Cadillac kids.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Point of order. It is Waco Midway which is like Westlake or Lake Travis are to Austin. We used to call Midway the Cadillac kids.

yep - they have their own district and everything so as to not be diluted by the unpure and unwashed.  

• Haha 1

Whenever CG does take the mound, I just want to see her as focused as the rest of the team is. No more of this easing her way into the flow. We don't want to lose any mojo having to battle back. Short leash. 

• Like 1

I can’t wait to hear the excuses from the announcers when we run rule tree tomorrow. They’ll say it had to be something wrong with canady, surely it can’t be the number 1 team and offense. Can’t wait…

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

It’s always fun to knock Bama out of something significant.   I don’t see Gata sweeping Oklahoma absent some Westlaco type miracle.

After reality sets in tomorrow I’ll be rooting for you guys. 

Just make Maxwell throw enough pitches that her arm falls off.

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I tend toward glass half empty . . . but I don't see Canaday throwing 200+ pitches tomorrow to beat us twice.  That's what it's going to take. 

According to the forecast (questionable) the T storms roll in during the 1st game. The worst thing that could happen is Canady get's in a full game, Tree wins and then the rain comes giving Canady another days rest. I'd rather have the storms come in early and make Canady throw 2 games back to back tomorrow.

Obviously Texas is well rested. Who starts? Teagan did well before, but now do they know her pitches? Mac certainly did great against gator. Citlaly also did pretty good in the early season game, and there's Estelle to go against all those lefties for once through the order.

Barring several defensive meltdowns on our part (always possible), I don't see Stanford scoring more than three runs on our staff. It's possible Canada could beat us with a run or two of three by her team, but doubtful. And not twice. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, because...sports. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Barring several defensive meltdowns on our part (always possible), I don't see Stanford scoring more than three runs on our staff. It's possible Canada could beat us with a run or two of three by her team, but doubtful. And not twice. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, because...sports. 

Yeah I agree.  I have a hard time seeing how Stanford beats us twice.  Canady would have to throw back to back games, so 180-200+ pitches in the mid-80s temp and high humidity.  Texas can throw any of their pitchers at Stanford, as they are all rested and fresh. 

Game 1 - TK 4 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 9 K
SS 2 IP, 1 H, 4 K
Mac 1 IP, 1 BB

Game 2 - CG 4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB
Czech 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 K
TK 0.2 IP

Game 3 - TK 7 IP, 1 H, 8 K

That game 2 loss (4-3 in 8 innings) featured about a billion errors that led to 3 unearned runs for Stanford and the stupid ITB rule in extra innings. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How many pitches did Canady throw yesterday?

97 pitches. 

She's thrown 862 pitches in the last 16 days.  She has thrown in all but 1 postseason game for Stanford so far. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Thanks! That's a lot of pitches....her arm has to be nearly gassed. 

Shades of 2022 Haley Dolcini pitching Texas to the champ series before her arm fell off.  By the time we got to the champ series, Dolcini threw 1.1 innings and less than 50 pitches in the series because she was dead tired and ineffective. 

I think I go with Citlaly in game 1, with Mac ready to go behind her.  CG needs the work before the champ series and she pitched effectively against Stanford - her defense let her down that game. 

I don't think she has back to back bad starts. Everyone but Mac was bad against aggy.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think I go with Citlaly in game 1, with Mac ready to go behind her.  CG needs the work before the champ series and she pitched effectively against Stanford - her defense let her down that game. 

I don't think she has back to back bad starts. Everyone but Mac was bad against aggy.  

I agree

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'll play contrarian a bit.  I agree we need CG to get some work, but in our only loss to Stanford, she started by hitting the first batter, then a wild pitch, some fielding fuckups, and we were down 2-0 in the 1st inning.  You give Canady that lead and we are fucked.  OTOH, we are undefeated when we score first. 

I wonder if you bring out TC or MM first to get things settled and then bring in CG later. She just has issues starting games. Why not use her as more of a middle reliever.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'll play contrarian a bit.  I agree we need CG to get some work, but in our only loss to Stanford, she started by hitting the first batter, then a wild pitch, some fielding fuckups, and we were down 2-0 in the 1st inning.  You give Canady that lead and we are fucked.  OTOH, we are undefeated when we score first. 

I wonder if you bring out TC or MM first to get things settled and then bring in CG later. She just has issues starting games. Why not use her as more of a middle reliever.  

It wouldn't bother me one bit to see Mac start. Yes, Citlaly and Teagan have better "stuff", but Mac has better mental "stuff". Start with a walk, an error and a hit that just makes it through the gap and it could be over in the 1st. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Not opposed to it.  Was surprised not to see her at all in the 5th inning of the UF series, but Mike wanted that no hitter for Mac.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not like CG is some huge risk either. She's been our best pitcher all year. It's kind of funny we are even having this discussion. 

Of course, she may really struggle but I see no reason White should get criticism if he starts CG in this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1