Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Yeah ok. Let's perpetually put the Final Four in Raleigh, North Carolina. Nobody will complain. Having it right in Duke's and UNC's backyard would be entirely non-controversial.

It is just obviously unfair. Even if 15,000 of us annually drove to Oklahoma City to camp out for tickets.

I get what youre saying, and I agree it is an advantage for OU. But let's say that the football national championship game was played at Norman Gaylord stadium every year. The crowds would be nearly 50/50 even with OU playing in the title game. They would have a slight edge at best. It is a willingness to travel for the game issue. Softball isnt as popular and people arent willing to spend big bucks on it. It is what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

White is no Patty, but some folks need to calm the fuck down. There is exactly one fucking player (JJ) from our 2018 team before he took over that would have the talent to be on this roster today. This is the best ut softball has ever been. 

We’ve got work to do, but OU always plays its best against us. Especially at home. The last two games are the best they’ve played all post season. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

White is no Patty, but some folks need to calm the fuck down. There is exactly one fucking player (JJ) from our 2018 team before he took over that would have the talent to be on this roster today. This is the best ut softball has ever been. 

We’ve got work to do, but OU always plays its best against us. Especially at home. The last two games are the best they’ve played all post season. 

Agreed they peaked at a very unfortunate time and we played like crap at a bad time. 

16 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

True....their coach is the biggest difference, but having this tourney 20 miles from your campus just might help, ya think?

How many runs did the fans score?    

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Something tells me Canady just wants to get away from that listless group of hitters is Paolo Alto. lol

something tells me she's there to play school or she wouldn't have gone to stanford in the first place

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

WTF? Ok first of all, we are all on the same team and secondly the Men had a great year. 

Women are runner-up NC and men didn’t make it out of regionals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

White needs coaching from our Volleyball coach. Those gals are talented and mentally tough

Jerritt had many struggles.  The portal, NIL, and finally coming to appreciate top DS turned the worm for him.

Hopefully, White doesn't stay an also-ran as long as JE did.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I really don’t think there is much of talent gap. I think youth and situational awareness is the issue. That base running gaffe in the 5th was a back breaker. ou was on their heals, Horns just cut it to 3 and had runners at 2nd and 3rd. Women’s softball has huge shifts of momentum. Horns put more runs across the plate in that inning ou doesn’t enjoy the extra cushion that they got off of that play keeping that three run lead.

1 minute ago, Catjuggler said:

Then sleep better tonight thinking the results would have been different anywhere else.  

If only these two teams had played a best of three series somewhere else this year.  Guess we'll never know.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jerritt had many struggles.  The portal, NIL, and finally coming to appreciate top DS turned the worm for him.

Hopefully, White doesn't stay an also-ran as long as JE did.

He wasn’t an also-ran but did learn. Hopefully MW will follow suit. 

7 minutes ago, Catjuggler said:

How many runs did the fans score?    

You apparently live in a world where you think things don't influence other things.  Which is funny because that world doesn't exist.

This guys a fucking flat-earther.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Texas just didn't play well in the Finals. That blOU team had more HR hitters, and the pitcher that was our kryptonite... and really blOU was better at the WCWS than Texas.

It's a shame Texas didn't play well -- they have to learn how to handle the pressure at WCWS and execute better.

Hopefully Coach White learns from this poor Finals performance and adjusts. He needs to look in the mirror and take some responsibility for his team playing poorly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

White needs coaching from our Volleyball coach. Those gals are talented and mentally tough

16 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Mentally destroyed. So with the number of really young players we have, I think the off-season starts with rebuilding that side of it. Too many girls played far too timidly for me to call it just a "bad couple nights."

Good points !      The team does have a mental coach (for lack of a better description).   He is a tall, slim guy in the dugout not often seen.  Statesman had an article about him,  can't find link.

A relatively young team compared to OU and all the distracting media hype were key factors.    Being older and wiser will eliminate that.

Regardless,  great season for an outstanding group on and off the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, torre said:

Good points !      The team does have a mental coach (for lack of a better description).   He is a tall, slim guy in the dugout not often seen.

Wait, Slender Man is our mental coach?  No wonder we're making lots of mental errors out there.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

2 out of 3 finals appearances. Texas has the right person leading the program. 

This program never sniffed the finals with Cat or Luna pitching and got a tiny scent of the semifinals a couple times. Idk if Mike will win one, but this team is young and will be better next year with more experience 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, torre said:

Good points !      The team does have a mental coach (for lack of a better description).   He is a tall, slim guy in the dugout not often seen.  Statesman had an article about him,  can't find link.

A relatively young team compared to OU and all the distracting media hype were key factors.    Being older and wiser will eliminate that.

Regardless,  great season for an outstanding group on and off the field.

As long as it isn't him, I'm OK with that.

3c7041a9-58ef-4b6a-9bb8-ba5f954687ee_scr

Edited by BillyGoatHill

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF was Rylie Boone yapping about after the trophy presentation?  Have some fucking class, woman.  Okies, all cut from the same cloth.

Inbreeding tends to do that

• Hook 'Em 2

as a aside.  the whole slamming bats after walks thing needs to be stopped. I was hoping one of our girls would get a hit.  carry her bat up the line to the base and then slam the bat into the dugout fence or something.  it is just ridiculous and of course something those douchebags started.  call the player out and it stops immediately.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, WBT said:

If only these two teams had played a best of three series somewhere else this year.  Guess we'll never know.

Difference I guess is OU's team, coaches, and fans didn't blubber about the series being in Austin.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Catjuggler said:

Difference I guess is OU's team, coaches, and fans didn't blubber about the series being in Austin.   

Are you under the impression that our team and coaches blubbered about OKC?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I really don’t think there is much of talent gap. I think youth and situational awareness is the issue. That base running gaffe in the 5th was a back breaker. ou was on their heals, Horns just cut it to 3 and had runners at 2nd and 3rd. Women’s softball has huge shifts of momentum. Horns put more runs across the plate in that inning ou doesn’t enjoy the extra cushion that they got off of that play keeping that three run lead.

Cut to 1* 

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Pass on Canady. I do not like her circus antics every time she gets a strikeout. Hard hard pass. 

This is idiotic. This team wins a title, maybe 2 with Canady pitching for the number 1 offensive team in the country. Let her stomp around wearing burnt orange. Or sure, boo hoo I don't want her on my team because she celebrates too hard, so she can go to OU or OSU or somewhere else and be in our way again.

Miranda Elish used to do that all the time wearing burnt orange and I'm pretty sure no one on this board complained.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

as a aside.  the whole slamming bats after walks thing needs to be stopped. I was hoping one of our girls would get a hit.  carry her bat up the line to the base and then slam the bat into the dugout fence or something.  it is just ridiculous and of course something those douchebags started.  call the player out and it stops immediately.

This is about the only thing that pissed me off. It’s taunting. Plain and simple.

as for OU winning, Texas is a dominant pitcher and some age away from being better than this OU squad. On the doorstep. Just keep it up. 

definitely throw some money at Canady. She can play school in Austin too.

and who gives a fuck if the WCWS is in Oklahoma City. The fans didn’t pitch or make errors or strike out. Tradition is a thing leave it in Oklahoma City, fuck the bat slam and beat their asses next year when they are young. Fucking destroy them.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yep, we’re more worried about pics after getting smoked. 

And why did you call me out? 

1 hour ago, MrX said:

We couldn’t get to their backup P when it counted.  We have a long way to go 

Not really.

Let’s not forget It Took Patty sometime to get over the hump at OU against the west coast teams until she did. 

eventually ever teams run will come to an end. I feel like we will fill that void soon we just have to keep progressing. Texas will be on the national stage in softball and Mike will have his pick of the top players. Just gotta keep getting better

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

He wasn’t an also-ran but did learn. Hopefully MW will follow suit. 

Four runner-ups and three more final fours pretty much make you an also-ran, at least in the context we are discussing Mike White.

And, in those near-misses, we more or less got blown off the court because of the lack of defense and passing.  It was a super-painful cocktease.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

This program never sniffed the finals with Cat or Luna pitching and got a tiny scent of the semifinals a couple times. Idk if Mike will win one, but this team is young and will be better next year with more experience 

Texas and Florida have the youngest teams and were amongst the final 3. Yes Oklahoma has some young talent but they also lose the core of their team with the 10 seniors, right? Next few years will be interesting, especially with Texas elevating their softball recruiting under White.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Pass on Canady. I do not like her circus antics every time she gets a strikeout. Hard hard pass. 

This is Helobious level bad take....and you should feel bad for it.

Canady will go down as the greatest college softball pitcher of all time if she continues at the pace she is. This is like saying you wouldn't want Vince Young because of his swagger. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DigDug said:

I have never understood sitting around watching someone else celebrate.  If we're not shaking hands, I am immediately out of there.  Hit the showers, get a beer, get the fuck out.

I agree with this.  I can grasp the situation without an extra kick to the nuts, and certainly don’t need to be fodder or a meme for their win.  

Thought it was pretty telling during the in game coaches interview gasso said something along the lines of “we’ve given them stuff they’ve never seen before and we know what they have” or something along those lines. 

The team is young, and ou definitely wasn’t scared. Every batter walked up just knowing they were going to get a hit. We look liked we hoped something good would happen. 

It made me wonder if any of our athletic teams have sports psychologists on the payroll. 

Regardless it was a great season. Looking forward to the SEC grind next year!

• Like 2