Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas and Florida have the youngest teams and were amongst the final 3. Yes Oklahoma has some young talent but they also lose the core of their team with the 10 seniors, right? Next few years will be interesting, especially with Texas elevating their softball recruiting under White.

Yeah, we have to see how the portal plays out, but OU is losing Maxwell, Keeney, Boone, Hansen, May, Jennings, Coleman, Brito and Torres (who got hurt and didn't play in the final 3 games of the WCWS). 

That is a SHIT TON of talent and experience to replace.  OU will be young, and they return Deal, Parker, Sanders, Pickering and Hodge, but they are going to be inexperienced unless Gasso just over-recruits all her incoming freshmen.   Texas showed that young talent can get you to the WCWS finals, but it's hard to beat experience once you get there.

Texas has to replace Bella, Washington and Czech.  And of course, players may opt to leave, but Texas is currently set to return Atwood (jr), Stewie (so), Goode (jr), Martinez (jr), Scott (sr), Henry (so), Maloney (RS-jr), Mitchell (gr), Morgan (sr), Gutierrez (jr), Kavan (so).  

Texas will be the team with double digit returners with WCWS experience next year and likely the preseason #1 team, with Florida right behind us. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, we have to see how the portal plays out, but OU is losing Maxwell, Keeney, Boone, Hansen, May, Jennings, Coleman, Brito and Torres (who got hurt and didn't play in the final 3 games of the WCWS). 

That is a SHIT TON of talent and experience to replace.  OU will be young, and they return Deal, Parker, Sanders, Pickering and Hodge, but they are going to be inexperienced unless Gasso just over-recruits all her incoming freshmen.   Texas showed that young talent can get you to the WCWS finals, but it's hard to beat experience once you get there.

Texas has to replace Bella, Washington and Czech.  And of course, players may opt to leave, but Texas is currently set to return Atwood (jr), Stewie (so), Goode (jr), Martinez (jr), Scott (sr), Henry (so), Maloney (RS-jr), Mitchell (gr), Morgan (sr), Gutierrez (jr), Kavan (so).  

Texas will be the team with double digit returners with WCWS experience next year and likely the preseason #1 team, with Florida right behind us. 

Texas should give Canady a sweet NIL deal just to piss off @The_Great_Hornsby

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean, hell yes they should.  If her and her family truly care about academics (and it appears they do since her brother BJ plays at Cal), there's no question that Texas > OU when it comes to academics.

As enticing as OU is, what has been very enticing for a player like Maxwell this past offseason was coming to a team full of experienced title winners.  OU can sell Gasso, but you're also selling the hope that the incoming freshmen and 4 returners in the field/at the plate will be enough, compared to Texas returning 3/4 of its infield (and a freshman starter from 2 years ago), 2/3 of its infield and your catcher. And you won't have to shoulder 80% of the load with the returning pitchers as well. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Of course I would love a dominant pitcher like that at Texas, however her stomping celebration antics fit right in with the culture at OU, so they’ll probably end up getting her if she transfers 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

I also cannot stand Beth Mowins anymore after this series.

You really expect me to sit there and believe the tape the catcher wears, in different colors, with different orientations depending on pitcher, is about what "calms" the pitcher?   

Sure Jan GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Thought it was pretty telling during the in game coaches interview gasso said something along the lines of “we’ve given them stuff they’ve never seen before and we know what they have” or something along those lines. 

The team is young, and ou definitely wasn’t scared. Every batter walked up just knowing they were going to get a hit. We look liked we hoped something good would happen. 

It made me wonder if any of our athletic teams have sports psychologists on the payroll. 

Regardless it was a great season. Looking forward to the SEC grind next year!

It was pointed out above by torrre, who is quite reliable, that we do have a sports psychologist on staff.  Still and all, I don't think that can substitute for experience, both at the player and coach level.

It seems like the dominant coaches manage to get their teams up for the biggest stage/post-season.  That and experience probably explains why we beat OU during the regular season, but got smoked on the big stage.

ETA:  I browsed Texas sports and didn't see any sports psychologists, either on a coaches roster or under performance.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I also cannot stand Beth Mowins anymore after this series.

You really expect me to sit there and believe the tape the catcher wears, in different colors, with different orientations depending on pitcher, is about what "calms" the pitcher?   

Sure Jan GIF

I could never stand Beth Mowins prior. She’s so obnoxious even in CFB broadcast. They made it seem like this was her last WCWS so that’s nice. We just need her to retire completely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I could never stand Beth Mowins prior. She’s so obnoxious even in CFB broadcast. They made it seem like this was her last WCWS so that’s nice. We just need her to retire completely. 

I muted broadcast. Her voice is nails on chalkboard 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was pointed out above by torrre, who is quite reliable, that we do have a sports psychologist on staff.  Still and all, I don't think that can substitute for experience, both at the player and coach level.

It seems like the dominant coaches manage to get their teams up for the biggest stage/post-season.  That and experience probably explains why we beat OU during the regular season, but got smoked on the big stage.

ETA:  I browsed Texas sports and didn't see any sports psychologists, either on a coaches roster or under performance.

image.thumb.png.8d0d940419859bb98f42dd43e30cf6b6.png

Just an FYI - not exactly sports psychologists, but there is mental health support in the Department.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If Mike White comes in second in softball every year for the next 10 years there will be plenty of people talking about how he's a failure as a coach. That's just how it is. 

Personally, I'm glad we have the guy. It used to drive me nuts with the amount of softball talent in this state and the amount of money they spend on the program we weren't any more competitive than we were under our previous coaches.

Gasso is an all timer. She's extremely good at what she does. It sucks to lose to her team, but it's not some kind of personal failure on White or any of the Texas players that OU was much better. They didn't win four championships in a row by providential luck. They've been the equivalent of the Wooden UCLA teams. They've had the Eddie Reese of softball over there. 

I know it was only one person, but calling Elliott an also ran until he won the latest back to back trophies is pretty rich, too. I get it. If you don't win it all, but you're very successful, you're known as the coach/player who never won it all. Dean Smith was known that way until he broke through in '82. Michael Jordan had that reputation early on with the Bulls. Could score, but could never lead his team to a championship. Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne both had that reputation before they broke through. If UT had fallen short against USC in 2005, his reputation as a head coach would be entirely different.

I choose to see Mike White building an extremely successful program, that will continue to have a tough time against OU. Same thing with the women's basketball team with Staley at South Carolina and Voldemort over at LSU. But the series win was still a heck of an accomplishment against a program that has completely dominated us. Okay, we shit the bed in the championship series. The season still represents a step forward. Hopefully they can break through and win it all soon. Maybe next year!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I’d like to see us look in the portal for a power bat in the outfield and maybe another contact/power bat in the infield. Mia could move back to the OF to make room for Hunter if she shows she can hit SEC pitching and can field. If I’m MW, one thing to take away from these playoffs is we can’t roll out slap hitters in the OF and expect to keep up with OU. Slapping works ok in todays game a) situationally, b) if you can swing away or slap like JJ, or c) if you are playing Kansas.  Against elite pitching and defense, which is what you are going to see in the playoffs, straight slapping is virtually an automatic out. We need a Pickering in RF, not a Maloney. 

In the infield, LG is a great fielder with a meh bat, particularly for a MW team.  She was great the first half of her freshman year before she faced conference pitching, and really struggled this year after an offseason surgery. She had the lowest batting average on the team among hitters with meaningful ABs. We have Brister as a MIF coming in as a freshman, but we have no idea if she can hit D1 pitching. We need some insurance here IMO. We can’t afford to have roster holes if we want to be the king. 

Of course, we could also use a true Ace, but those are pretty hard to come by. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We have closed the gap!!!

A lot of people forget the first true recruiting classes for White are the Juniors and Seniors.    I say true because a lot of the recruits before the new rules were committing in 8 or 9th grade, they were the first classes that had to wait to talk to coaches after their sophomore  year of HS.   Hell even then Rothrock & Williams from Florida, SJ Guieren & Hodge OU, all freshman this year that were committed as 8th graders.

Keep going after athletes and elite pitching and we are set for a long while, the championships will come. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yeah, if we are looking in the portal:

• Fourth outfielder
  • Power bat who can play the infield
  • Left handed pitcher
  • If someone like Canady goes in, you go after her.  Not sure there's really anyone else that's a must have ace type pitcher who could/would enter the portal. 

Maddia Groff is the only top 10 ERA pitcher in the portal, from Southern Ill, but rumor is she's a package with her sister who calls her pitches, so not a lot of programs are going to be comfortable with that. 

Just among P5 arms, it's Canady, Pickens, Curd in the top 10.  Kilfoyl and Gotshall are out of eligbility.

OKST picked up Ruby Meylan in the portal - 2.14 ERA last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I’d like to see us look in the portal for a power bat in the outfield and maybe another contact/power bat in the infield. Mia could move back to the OF to make room for Hunter if she shows she can hit SEC pitching and can field. If I’m MW, one thing to take away from these playoffs is we can’t roll out slap hitters in the OF and expect to keep up with OU. Slapping works ok in todays game a) situationally, b) if you can swing away or slap like JJ, or c) if you are playing Kansas.  Against elite pitching and defense, which is what you are going to see in the playoffs, straight slapping is virtually an automatic out. We need a Pickering in RF, not a Maloney. 

In the infield, LG is a great fielder with a meh bat, particularly for a MW team.  She was great the first half of her freshman year before she faced conference pitching, and really struggled this year after an offseason surgery. She had the lowest batting average on the team among hitters with meaningful ABs. We have Brister as a MIF coming in as a freshman, but we have no idea if she can hit D1 pitching. We need some insurance here IMO. We can’t afford to have roster holes if we want to be the king. 

Of course, we could also use a true Ace, but those are pretty hard to come by. 

Good news is with Meylon already committing to Okie State, the only pitchers that would make OU an automatic contender for the championship aren't in the portal yet.   I just don't see them leaving Stanford, ucla, LSU, or Tennessee either.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.secsports.com/2024-softball-stats-pdf

A new dawn is upon us.    Note the drop in BA after Florida and aggy.   And an overall league ERA of 2.52.   Coaches and players will have to step up.

As much as we dislike OU,  JT Gasso does a tremendous job with their hitters for in game adjustments and game preparation.   He is largely responsible for their confidence and success.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, if we are looking in the portal:

• Fourth outfielder
  • Power bat who can play the infield
  • Left handed pitcher
  • If someone like Canady goes in, you go after her.  Not sure there's really anyone else that's a must have ace type pitcher who could/would enter the portal. 

Maddia Groff is the only top 10 ERA pitcher in the portal, from Southern Ill, but rumor is she's a package with her sister who calls her pitches, so not a lot of programs are going to be comfortable with that. 

Just among P5 arms, it's Canady, Pickens, Curd in the top 10.  Kilfoyl and Gotshall are out of eligbility.

OKST picked up Ruby Meylan in the portal - 2.14 ERA last year. 

And Mike White needs to stop putting 5 lefty hitters in-a-row anymore.  Patty took advantage of that mistake.

Another better fielding 1B option that also hits for power and then move Stewie to DH possibly???

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

And Mike White needs to stop putting 5 lefty hitters in-a-row anymore.  Patty took advantage of that mistake.

Another better fielding 1B option that also hits for power and then move Stewie to DH possibly???

if we could find a transfer catcher defensive upgrade, we could move atwood to first, stewart to DH. but that might be harder than finding 1B.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

If Mike White comes in second in softball every year for the next 10 years there will be plenty of people talking about how he's a failure as a coach. That's just how it is. 

Personally, I'm glad we have the guy. It used to drive me nuts with the amount of softball talent in this state and the amount of money they spend on the program we weren't any more competitive than we were under our previous coaches.

Gasso is an all timer. She's extremely good at what she does. It sucks to lose to her team, but it's not some kind of personal failure on White or any of the Texas players that OU was much better. They didn't win four championships in a row by providential luck. They've been the equivalent of the Wooden UCLA teams. They've had the Eddie Reese of softball over there. 

I know it was only one person, but calling Elliott an also ran until he won the latest back to back trophies is pretty rich, too. I get it. If you don't win it all, but you're very successful, you're known as the coach/player who never won it all. Dean Smith was known that way until he broke through in '82. Michael Jordan had that reputation early on with the Bulls. Could score, but could never lead his team to a championship. Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne both had that reputation before they broke through. If UT had fallen short against USC in 2005, his reputation as a head coach would be entirely different.

I choose to see Mike White building an extremely successful program, that will continue to have a tough time against OU. Same thing with the women's basketball team with Staley at South Carolina and Voldemort over at LSU. But the series win was still a heck of an accomplishment against a program that has completely dominated us. Okay, we shit the bed in the championship series. The season still represents a step forward. Hopefully they can break through and win it all soon. Maybe next year!

"Also-ran" is a bit harsh, yes.  But those years after 2012 were painful as fuck to a fan.  I don't just mean the losing at the top.  The rooting for Elliott while also feeling like he's never gonna get there and maybe the John Cooks of the world are right.

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I compared this Texas team to this year’s Nebraska volleyball team. Super young but talented and ran into an equally talented but way more experienced buzz saw of the defending champs in the finals. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Pretty massive viewership numbers, record:

Avg viewership 2.09M

All time regional baseball records are UT/aggy this year at 690k and this year LSU/NC 756k.  Mens's CWS last year was 2.86, up 75% so a bit of an outlier with the LSU machine...

As for UT softball, you're the heavy favorite next year.  OU will take a step back at least for a year or two.  White is a good coach, just wound a bit tight and it seems to filter down to the team.  He can loosen up a bit and a title is there for the taking.  SEC should be pretty damn fun next year...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

White is a good coach, just wound a bit tight and it seems to filter down to the team.  He can loosen up a bit and a title is there for the taking. 

Great point.  Patty by contrast is cool as a cucumber in big games and a great tactician.  Also a vato apparently.

image.thumb.png.3a1edef27cdd799a451b931a0d0d08b4.png

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Great point.  Patty by contrast is cool as a cucumber in big games and a great tactician.  Also a vato apparently.

image.thumb.png.3a1edef27cdd799a451b931a0d0d08b4.png

Easy to be cool as a cucumber when you know without a doubt you're going to win. "Put it in 3 inch headlines" and all that.

You never know what will happen with exit interviews, as rumor Avery Hodge from OU is headed to the portaL. She stepped up when Torres got hurt and cemented herself as a probably infield starter. Could mean OU only returns 1 infield starter (Sanders)

On 6/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, Js1 said:

I compared this Texas team to this year’s Nebraska volleyball team. Super young but talented and ran into an equally talented but way more experienced buzz saw of the defending champs in the finals. 

This is actually a good comparison. 

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Craig Snider dips out as HC at Tech to go be an assistant at Tennessee

He had to have been promised the HC job when Karen finally dies...I mean retires. Any news on potential Texas players going into the portal? Exit interviews have been done by now, and players should know exactly where they stand moving into next season.

13 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

He had to have been promised the HC job when Karen finally dies...I mean retires. Any news on potential Texas players going into the portal? Exit interviews have been done by now, and players should know exactly where they stand moving into next season.

Nothing yet but the portal is open for another week I believe. Longer for the Tech players now 

Texas finishes the year with 6 players on the Softball America Top 100 - all returners

Atwood #2 (#1 catcher)
Scott #31 (#4 3B)
Kavan #37 (#12 pitcher)
Martinez #53 (#6 SS)
Morgan #68 (#21 pitcher)
Stewie #80 (#7 utility player)

• Hook 'Em 1

Atwood had a great year, but disappeared in the WCWS...Hope she comes back better next year. Two many wasted ABs and too many dropped pitches. I think Martinez and Scott lead this team offensively next year and I expect big jumps from Stewart and Henry as well. If we get anything close to the same production from Atwood, we will be fine offensively.

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'd love her as another outfielder for us with Bella leaving.  Patty probably has her locked up.   

If not Tenn, def OU. OU needs a catcher

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hodge, Guerin, Lilio for Ou in the portal. 

Wyckoff for Tech in the portal 

Only Hodge received meaningful playing time this year, but with OU losing 10 seniors, plus these 3 portal entrants, Patty will be churning more than 1/2 her roster.