Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

24 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I think Mike may be able to bring 3-4 players out of the portal, as I expect some attrition on the Texas side into the portal. Ryan Brown is going to find somewhere to swing the bat, Sophia Simpson is an after thought on this roster, Cimuz will likely want to play every day, and I am hopeful we don't lose Citlaly as she seems to have fallen out of favor. Add in the one or two none of us saw coming, and there could be a few holes to fill next year.

My guess on the starting 9 next season looks like this:

Henry CF

Maloney RF

Scott LF

Atwood C/DH

Stewart 1B/C

ViVi SS

Goode 2B

Hunter 3B

Morgan/Kavan/Salmon/Citlaly

Who do you have DH/DP when Atwood is catching?  Brown if she stays?

36 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I think Mike may be able to bring 3-4 players out of the portal, as I expect some attrition on the Texas side into the portal. Ryan Brown is going to find somewhere to swing the bat, Sophia Simpson is an after thought on this roster, Cimuz will likely want to play every day, and I am hopeful we don't lose Citlaly as she seems to have fallen out of favor. Add in the one or two none of us saw coming, and there could be a few holes to fill next year.

Not to me.

😁

• Drool 2

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Possible Czech start? 

image.thumb.png.45d9c896600736eeff6cb219c528d5a3.png

Doesn’t mean anything. They do that all the time 

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

I guess I thought Mitchell was a senior.

Has one year left to use (Covid year)

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Doesn’t mean anything. They do that all the time 

Has one year left to use (Covid year)

Well hell ...I thought we were done with Covid qualifiers.  2020, 21, 22, 23, 24

I guess a redshirt in that period would help that along one more year....

Edited by HuntinHorn

I do feel a little bad for Czech, Simpson, and even CG, as they've (understandably) taken a backseat to MM and TK.  Man, we have a lot of pitchers for a college softball team.  I feel especially bad for Estelle because she pitched a lot in our last CWS appearance and has pitched non this time around and it's probably the end of her career.  I can relate as a baseball dad.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I feel especially bad for Estelle because she pitched a lot in our last CWS appearance and has pitched non this time around and it's probably the end of her career.  I can relate as a baseball dad.  

I'd wager giving up a a 3-run, 2-out, 2-strike game tying HR to someone without an XBH all season long in the bottom of the 7th of a must-win game 2 of the supers is going to make your coach look side eye at you for a bit. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'd wager giving up a a 3-run, 2-out, 2-strike game tying HR to someone without an XBH all season long in the bottom of the 7th of a must-win game 2 of the supers is going to make your coach look side eye at you for a bit. 

nw9cJ.gif

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

yeah that was bad.  It actually wasn't a terrible pitch if you go back and watch it from behind home plate  (I remember seeing the replay).  It just wasn't a very good pitch - a curve right on the corner that should have been in the river.  It's a game of inches.  

Edited by bschoolprof

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You can't just toss a meatball to the Grimace and not expect something bad to happen.

• Haha 1

I guess I'm gonna die on this bizarre hill, but I don't think it was a meatball.  If you watch it here (slow it down to .25), it's a decent curve (EC throws a good one) that doesn't hang.  Fatty was hunting curve (I would be too) and it just barely caught too much plate (look at its movement and where Reese is about to catch it).  Yes, mistake by EC, but hat tip to grimace as well.  

If Czech were a righty, she probably wouldn't ever see the mound in OKC. But I think we'll see her at some point. Hard for me to fathom complete games from all our starters. Hopefully she can stifle Parker, Boone or Coleman in a key spot. The final out of a championship would be a really nice sendoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In an interview during the regular season series,   Gasso stated Czech matches up well with their LH hitters.    The tone of her comment was one of respect.

Czech relieved TK in the regular season game 2 (2-1 win),  3.1 inn, 3H, 0 runs.

That said,  OU does a masterful job with film study and adjusting approach.    In the B12 championship game,  they slowed their bats and went to right field several times on Citialy.

Posted (edited)

With possible fatigue from yesterdays pitch count being the X factor, Maxwell generally pitches more effectively as a game wears on. Its extra important for Texas to get some offense going in the first few innings when she’s on the mound 

Edited by perfectchaos007

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

With possible fatigue from yesterdays pitch count being the X factor, Maxwell generally pitches more effectively as a game wears on. Its extra important for Texas to get some offense going in the first few innings when she’s on the mound 

The key with Maxwell is staying patient. She will work herself into trouble with walks if you stay patient. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I guess I'm gonna die on this bizarre hill, but I don't think it was a meatball.  If you watch it here (slow it down to .25), it's a decent curve (EC throws a good one) that doesn't hang.  Fatty was hunting curve (I would be too) and it just barely caught too much plate (look at its movement and where Reese is about to catch it).  Yes, mistake by EC, but hat tip to grimace as well.  

you are correct.  it wasn't a bad pitch if you were trying to throw a strike.  I don't remember the count.

2 hours ago, torre said:

In an interview during the regular season series,   Gasso stated Czech matches up well with their LH hitters.    The tone of her comment was one of respect.

Czech relieved TK in the regular season game 2 (2-1 win),  3.1 inn, 3H, 0 runs.

That said,  OU does a masterful job with film study and adjusting approach.    In the B12 championship game,  they slowed their bats and went to right field several times on Citialy.

Gasso playin the long game...

i cannot fucking stand this american tradition of giving games start times that we have zero intention of using. you just did an entire preview show. why are you starting the game broadcast with another whole new preview show? let’s play!

• Like 1