2024 Poker : GTO or GTFO

Lurch

I’m 0-3 in tourneys this trip, so if my understanding of statistics is correct, I am now due.

WSoP conveniently cancelled today’s deep stack daily so now I have no choice but to take a third stab at the $1100. Wish me luck, I’m going in

• Like 2

100/200/200

UTG opens to 400. Five callers to me w 9h4c in BB. At some point I have to call, right? This is the time.

8h7h5h. Checks around

Ac. Checks around.

6h. No shit? I make it 2100, UTG folds and UTG1 starts laughing hard. Sob calls. Others fold and he shows AhQh. Thanks for the triple slow play, Sir!?

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

SB (40k) limps into my A7o, I just check. 2400 pot

7 5 5 rainbow

Chk 1k, he chkraises to 3k. Call. 8400 pot

2. Still rainbow board. He bets 7200 after confirming I have just 12.5k left. He has to have it, right? Don’t think he’d bluff just a straight draw here

Fold.

12.5 to 5/1k/1k after break

Open UTG to 2500 w 77. UTG2 jams 12.5k after just getting caught trying to pick off a small stack who flopped a boat, so I assumed he was just steaming and call. Viewers, he was not.

He flips QQ and we go to the flop

7 in the window, J, 7! He does not catch up

• Like 1

I was in vegas playing at a tournament at binion's downtown when there was a big commotion at the table behind me. I looked and a big fat old guy was on the ground. I stood up and started to head over to start cpr but thankfully the guy sitting next to me was an EMT and pushed me out of the way. Guy was dead when he hit the floor. Ambulance came, they gave him a few shocks then got him on the stretcher and put a sheet over him and took him away. The whole time his wife was sitting there bawling. She said he'd been having chest pain all week but was going to get it looked at when he got back home.

They gave the widow his buy in back, and a small collection from players. Ten minutes later cards were in the air.

I'll be up at the lodge tomorrow and find out more about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

At a table in the big o and seat 1 is a dealer, so I ask him and the dealer what happened. They both go silent. I ask if they don’t want to talk about it or they aren’t supposed to talk about it. Dealer in a stern monotone says “I do not want to talk about it”, very much implying he was involved in some way so I dropped it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, blacklab said:

At a table in the big o and seat 1 is a dealer, so I ask him and the dealer what happened. They both go silent. I ask if they don’t want to talk about it or they aren’t supposed to talk about it. Dealer in a stern monotone says “I do not want to talk about it”, very much implying he was involved in some way so I dropped it. 

Doing CPR on someone isn't for everyone.

Harder if you know them, which they most likely did with it happening during the day. Was probably a regular.

RIP 

3 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Was told it was an "older Asian gentleman" and a "morning player". No details aside from that.

I went out there to play that evening and only cars in the parking lot were two RR Police vehicles. Went to TCH and of course it was full of Lodge players. Two that were at my table said basically the same thing that you posted. Pretty much it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

gonna say this and probably end up jinxing her.....

but Kristen Foxen is 5th in chipcount going into today with only 18 left. 

if she makes the final 9, she would be the 2nd woman to make the main event final table

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

gonna say this and probably end up jinxing her.....

but Kristen Foxen is 5th in chipcount going into today with only 18 left. 

if she makes the final 9, she would be the 2nd woman to make the main event final table

She’s leading the chip count with 15 left. Her winning would be good for the game. Might have a mini Moneymaker effect. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

wsop says she went out in 13th...   which is wild considering she was chip leading (albeit by 3 mil chips @67M and only for 30 mins or so) with 15 still playing...

oof. Here's Polk's analysis which is the only recap I've seen

Spoiler

• Like 1

The QQ fold is pretty crazy, and I guess depends on exactly how much $$ you can add by making the final table, which I have no estimate on. Also, if you think you have a significant skill edge and will benefit from the rest day, and/or a team of really sharp people who can spend that day crafting notes and plans on the other players, then there is a lot of value in not busting beyond just the pay jumps themselves. I wasn't watching the coverage, so dunno how much the guy who opened that hand was opening, which also impacts it of course.  

So where do you come down on the "cheating"?
I thought it was kinda fucked up how he was going over and looking at a laptop every chance he got, was pretty sure you weren't able to do that.
Rather than post a ton of tweets, Polk covers most of them here

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 2:35 PM, TXSooner518 said:

The QQ fold is pretty crazy, and I guess depends on exactly how much $$ you can add by making the final table, which I have no estimate on. Also, if you think you have a significant skill edge and will benefit from the rest day, and/or a team of really sharp people who can spend that day crafting notes and plans on the other players, then there is a lot of value in not busting beyond just the pay jumps themselves. I wasn't watching the coverage, so dunno how much the guy who opened that hand was opening, which also impacts it of course.  

Looks like this was in fact part of his value for the FT!  I can't agree with calling it cheating, but agree it's a bad look and agree that it will be made against the rules going forward. The trick will be what constitutes "coaching"? "Hey, next hand, you should open QTo+, J7s+, 44+" surely is. But what about "The blinds in the next hand are defending way too tight, open up?" Or "relax, deep breaths, you have 40 bigs, you're fine"?

19 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Looks like this was in fact part of his value for the FT!  I can't agree with calling it cheating, but agree it's a bad look and agree that it will be made against the rules going forward. The trick will be what constitutes "coaching"? "Hey, next hand, you should open QTo+, J7s+, 44+" surely is. But what about "The blinds in the next hand are defending way too tight, open up?" Or "relax, deep breaths, you have 40 bigs, you're fine"?

Seems like it already is against the rules. 

Posted (edited)

Right. Tamayo wasn't using them. Other people were and communicating the information to him. 

EDIT to add: And I'm not trying to be smartass or pedantic. For example, what if I'm down to 12 bigs in a tourney and text a buddy and say hey wug open jamming ranges 12 bigs BTN, CO, HJ? and he replies? Was I "using a solver"? I don't think so. It gets pretty gray pretty fast. 

Edited by TXSooner518

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Right. Tamayo wasn't using them. Other people were and communicating the information to him. 

EDIT to add: And I'm not trying to be smartass or pedantic. For example, what if I'm down to 12 bigs in a tourney and text a buddy and say hey wug open jamming ranges 12 bigs BTN, CO, HJ? and he replies? Was I "using a solver"? I don't think so. It gets pretty gray pretty fast. 

How was he not using them? The first second of the Doug Polk video shows shows him at the rail and seems like he's "using" the computer there to me.

On 7/22/2024 at 12:40 PM, TXSooner518 said:

The two situations are drastically different, this is a shit analogy.

Went down to Bullets last night to play big O. When I got there the big O table was full so I had to slum it up at hold em for an hour waiting for a seat.

In the big blind look down to see TT. Middle position raises to 15, me and 3 others call. Flop QTT. I check and it checks around. Turn 3 I bet $20 and everyone folds. I contemplate showing my hand but say fuck it an muck it. About 20 minutes later I look up at a screen on the wall and realize they have a bonus for quads and I would have gotten $230 if I had shown my hand. DOH

Few hands later it's a bomb pot and I get AAQQ. Top board is J73 and bottom QQT. Bingo. Lady to my left pots it and I'm the only caller. Turn 3 on top and bottom. Lady bets $50, I call. River A on top giving me top boat, she checks, I jam and she thinks for a few seconds and calls. Boom. Started with $200 and am now over $500.

Get aces a few hands later, raise to 15 preflop, 4 callers. Flop is 642, I bet out $25, get one caller. Turn 7, I bet $50, get one caller. There's no way he has 53 or 85 can he? A set? He'd raise right? River 10 and I bet another 50. He hems and haws and complains the ten probably got him. Finally, he folds showing 96.

Get called up to big O right after that hand. Table is juicy, with several bad players and go from $300 to $500 over the course of a few orbits. One of my arch nemeses is there and he's steaming as he's lost a few hands to the bad players. 

Get dealt AAK82 double suited. Raise $10 pre flop and get 5 callers. Flop is AdJd2s. I pot for $55, get check raised all in by guy to my right for $200 more. I announce fuck it and call. He shows J65d43d. Just need to avoid diamonds and 3-5. Next card out 4 of diamonds, river does not pair the board and I double him up. Looked at the odds and I was a 36-64% dog in equity after the flop. Need to learn to fold sets of aces.  

Few hands later I'm in the big blind with QQxxx, someone makes it $5 and 5 of us are in. Flop is 776, and it checks around. Bingo turn Q. Nemesis pots it and I call. River 10, he pots, I go all in, he instantly calls and I'm assuming quads with the way he called. I show the queens and he slam mucks his cards. Nothing sweeter than sending him further into tilt and taking $200 from him.  

Double up got me to $400 and get AdKs5d3c2s and raise preflop to $15 and get 6 callers. Flop is AsTc6s. I'm first to act and check, hoping someone raises so I can reraise and action goes check, pot, repot, fold and I repot and other guy folds and both potters call. 3 way all in. My nemesis shows AKT23 no spades, other guy doesn't show so I know I'm rooting for a spade, but am not sure if I'm rooting for a 2 or 3 to give me a better low. Turn is a 2, giving me second nut low, if non showing guy has 34 I'm fucked, river blank. Dickhead picks his hand up, looks at hand, looks at board, in my head I'm saying "FUCKING PUT YOUR HAND DOWN YOU SLOW ROLLING MOTHER FUCKER", and finally after about 15 seconds lays his hand down and it's AQT23. Boom. I get the low and they chop the high and I'm up over $600. Lose a little over the next hour and head home at midnight.

Final tally hold em +$300, big O +$200. I think playing holdem just for the plo bomb pots would be a very lucrative venture after seeing how the players played. People calling with 2 pair on both boards when both have flushes and straits, calling with a pair of aces on one board, calling small straits and small flushes. Don't think I can handle the bordem of the hold em for the 9 hands between them though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I think playing holdem just for the plo bomb pots would be a very lucrative venture after seeing how the players played. People calling with 2 pair on both boards when both have flushes and straits, calling with a pair of aces on one board, calling small straits and small flushes. Don't think I can handle the bordem of the hold em for the 9 hands between them though. 

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, blacklab said:

Get dealt AAK82 double suited. Raise $10 pre flop and get 5 callers. Flop is AdJd2s. I pot for $55, get check raised all in by guy to my right for $200 more. I announce fuck it and call. He shows J65d43d. Just need to avoid diamonds and 3-5. Next card out 4 of diamonds, river does not pair the board and I double him up. Looked at the odds and I was a 36-64% dog in equity after the flop. Need to learn to fold sets of aces.  

Folding here would be bad. You were putting in 35% of the money and have 36% equity so you should call if he shows his hand before you act and he has basically the worst possible hand for you. He can easily have something like A2234 and you're locked to at least half the pot unless the case deuce or a 5 and non-board pair come. 

On 7/30/2024 at 12:55 AM, Brian Fantana said:

The two situations are drastically different, this is a shit analogy.

True. One is a friend using a program and telling me the results so I can adjust my strategy and the other is a friend using a program and telling me the results so I can adjust my strategy. Dunno what I was thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1