2024 Poker : GTO or GTFO

Lurch

10 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

has anyone read the Bloomberg Russian poker bot article?

its behind a paywall for me, but it does sound like the Russians volunteered to give Bloomberg this report

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2024-poker-bots-artificial-intelligence-russia/

https://archive.ph/sfqrl

For me, this confirms my suspicions about online poker. Thanks God for live poker in Texas, as there is little reason to play online now.

• 2 weeks later...

$1/$2 NLH cash game, six-handed, all recreational players. 

Decent player opens UTG, fold, call, call, call, and you call in BB closing action with 5-6 suited. Five to the flop. 

Flop is 4-3-2 rainbow. Are you ever donking? 

7 hours ago, Bookman said:

$1/$2 NLH cash game, six-handed, all recreational players. 

Decent player opens UTG, fold, call, call, call, and you call in BB closing action with 5-6 suited. Five to the flop. 

Flop is 4-3-2 rainbow. Are you ever donking? 

7 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

No. I could see it more on like a 9-8-7 flop where we are much more vulnerable.

Agreed. 432rb smashes BB defend range, so any half decent player will usually see you donking as very strong. You might get lucky and get raised by sets and hands like A2/3/4/5/6s, or even low pocket pairs that didn't make a set, but you block a fair amount of those combos and overpairs that are out of drawing range are not going to like that flop a lot of the time against a BB defend.

I think I'd be checking here 100% of the time unless you have an extremely loose/splashy image and even then this board is probably +EV to just check and let the cbet happen.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think I'm always betting that river, though. You're gonna get raised a very small percentage of the time and you can fold those.

Actually kind of shocked your opponent checked back.

why bet river? what is calling that isn't a boat? or are we hoping to bluff out a small boat? I'm just check-pukefolding river or possibly check-calling if I think opp can have AK/AQ based on his tendencies, size of turn bet and may try to bluff me off a baby boat like maybe I had A3. 

Agree as UTG there I'm betting river with 99.  

Edited by TXSooner518

9 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

why bet river? what is calling that isn't a boat? or are we hoping to bluff out a small boat? I'm just check-pukefolding river or possibly check-calling if I think opp can have AK/AQ based on his tendencies, size of turn bet and may try to bluff me off a baby boat like maybe I had A3. 

Agree as UTG there I'm betting river with 99.  

You'll called by all the worse straights and maybe A2/A3 or hero called by AK/AQ but maybe you're right that it's too thin to bet there now that I think about it more.

I guess he thought my range was exactly A-4 and was scared of betting the river and getting raised. I would have bet 9-9 in his shoes. I could have fives, sixes, or sevens there, and I'm not folding those to a reasonable bet. 

You'll called by all the worse straights and maybe A2/A3 or hero called by AK/AQ but maybe you're right that it's too thin to bet there now that I think about it more.

We lose to A2 and A3. A5 is the only worse straight and we block it and surely if UTG opens A5, gets multi callers, and flops wheel, they are betting flop.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah I keep forgetting there are three 4s on the board.

Figured! Yeah, if the board is 2344K or something, absolutely must again lead river. On 23444, our hand got turned into napkins. 

Reminds me of a fun Big O cash pot I played at WSOP several years ago now, I have A235Q with nut clubs. Get stacks in on 557 with two clubs. Huge flop for me of course, trips top kicker, uncounterfeitable low draw, nut flush draw. Runs out 7-7. So my low misses, flush misses, and now my trips top kicker doesn't even play, I am playing my AQ with the 777 on board. Napkins. I vomit in my lap but scoop the pot over my opponents AJ245 with non-nut clubs hahaha, so he has AJ with the 777 on board. 

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Haha 3

Low-ish stakes NLO8 tourney on ACR, close to the bubble

UTG opens to 2.5, incredibly splashy villain that barely covers me (both about 50BB deep) raises to 7 in cutoff, I call on the button with [Ad Kc Qc Td]. UTG calls.

Flop is [8s Jc 9c]. Flop the nuts with the redraw to most of the world.

UTG check, villain bets 15bb, I jam. UTG folds, villain calls.

Villain shows [Ac Tc 5s As].

Turn 2h, river 5c.

Pretty standard call from villain but I fucking hate poker sometimes. Dude has been shoving chips in with absolute trash O8 hands for like 2 hours and this one time he shows up with an actual hand. I try not to be results oriented but I got drawn out on so many times today (getting it in good almost every time), it's just one of those days that gives you a thousand yard stare and makes you wonder why the fuck this is your hobby.

Edited by Brian Fantana

was off work today, played a goofy session that I had so many large hands, yet didnt really get anything close to max value because either the board was too wet, or the folks that literally call me with anything, couldnt fucking find a hand to call with.

I managed to get felted on the very first hand where I had an open end straight flush draw against AA that I missed twice on.  got felted again  when i 4 bet with AhTs against a very aggressive 3 better.  flop was QhJh9s. I jam and he turns over KThh.... fuck. 

3rd rebuy in for $900.   things go much better as i get a bit of a sun run. 

i 5 bet shove all in with TT, get called  by 88 and flop a set and win.

I then get 88 myself,  raise to $20 with it,  get 5 callers.  flop is 9c8c7d.    it checks to me thats way too wet. bet $50. everyone folds.

i then get AA, win a nice pot of roughly 200/  get KK, flop trips against the case K and felt him.   

get dealt 77 all in pre vs 2 overs on a day where if you use both cards and hit the quads of the day, you get $200... and 7s were the quads. flop set turn quads. 

get dealt QQ, make it  $25 get 4 callers  flop is Qd 4d 3s.  again I know I smashed this but theres more than enough dd or 56 calling $25 pre in this game that I cant just let them get a free card.  so I bet 50 and everyone folds. 

then start with 44  $20  to go. 4 of us. and theres an Ac Qc 4c flop. theres a bet, and raise before I act.  I make it $130 to see where the fuck I am... they both fold. 

last hand of note, I get AA, two hyper aggressive guys behind me, and 1 in front.  The one in front  makes it $15.... and I decide to just call, as hoped, the first aggressive one make its 70, folds back to the first raiser... he makes it 150.

now I know no matter what I fucking do here, it screams monster hand.  i am playing with $1400 behind,  up against $2000 for the guy who made it 150 and $1100 for the one who made it $70.

Both of these guys will make the classic "i felt it" call for all their chips.   I say 500.   first folds immediately. 2nd hems and haws and finally folds.

in for 900 out for 1850 (incl bonus)

every major pair held, plus most hit a set or better.     5 flopped sets, 1 quads,  AA x2, KK, QQ.  and either all the money was already in or the boards were so fucking coordianted, I couldnt give a free card.

happy I finally had a great session, but only being up 700 in actual play just seems so wasted. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Low-ish stakes NLO8 tourney on ACR, close to the bubble

UTG opens to 2.5, incredibly splashy villain that barely covers me (both about 50BB deep) raises to 7 in cutoff, I call on the button with [Ad Kc Qc Td]. UTG calls.

Flop is [8s Jc 9c]. Flop the nuts with the redraw to most of the world.

UTG check, villain bets 15bb, I jam. UTG folds, villain calls.

Villain shows [Ac Tc 5s As].

Turn 2h, river 5c.

Pretty standard call from villain but I fucking hate poker sometimes. Dude has been shoving chips in with absolute trash O8 hands for like 2 hours and this one time he shows up with an actual hand. I try not to be results oriented but I got drawn out on so many times today (getting it in good almost every time), it's just one of those days that gives you a thousand yard stare and makes you wonder why the fuck this is your hobby.

I know those days! I think this is a fold pre in O8 for 1/7 of your stack though, esp if UTG is good, since they should be tight, and also know that villain is a dullard and may decide to re-bomb it pre if they have AA2 or whatever. One way hands are brutal in split pot games. Obv once the flop comes, GG. 

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I know those days! I think this is a fold pre in O8 for 1/7 of your stack though, esp if UTG is good, since they should be tight, and also know that villain is a dullard and may decide to re-bomb it pre if they have AA2 or whatever. One way hands are brutal in split pot games. Obv once the flop comes, GG. 

Yeah I'm pretty new to O8 but I've been having fun with it and cashing a lot. Really have to pick your spots well.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Nice pot with the aces, if that was you. Seat 1 kinda did you a favor by raising you there.

Yeah, he did.  I bluffed him pretty damn good early in the game and his buddy's were harassing him on his phone about it.  He got me later with 72 but I didnt have shit so it wasnt for much.  This one he just overplayed.  Helped get me out of a DEEP hole

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Yeah, he did.  I bluffed him pretty damn good early in the game and his buddy's were harassing him on his phone about it.  He got me later with 72 but I didnt have shit so it wasnt for much.  This one he just overplayed.  Helped get me out of a DEEP hole

The bluff

Edited by Lurch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a weird situation come up today in the plo tournament at the lodge

J954 rainbow board, I'm all in with 3 others.

I have AJ99, other hands are QJT8, 9765, A432

So AKQT8763 I lose, J954 I win. Never have I seen anything but a board pair I lose.  Of course it was a ten.

On the drive home I was thinking is this the lowest possible win rate while being in the lead after the turn.

It's not, if others had 55 and 44 would have been drawing to a J or 9 only.

• Like 1