2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

I have only been to the range once in the last 6 months, and have had zero short game sessions. But in eight rounds in 2024 my driver has been absolutely dialed (80% in the short grass and less than one actual "miss" per round) and I have been at least average for me around the greens. Index has dropped almost two points and I am knocking on the door of scratch. Now that my boys' little league is over and I might actually have time to start practicing again, I am questioning whether I should.

I'm about to infomercial you guys but these two items below are really working for me right now.  Golf Forever swing trainer program and classes plus this gimmicky 56-degree wedge which has taken all chunks and bladed wedge shots out of my game for the last couple of weeks. Shot an 86 on my home course but it was way tougher than usual because I am on a lake in Dallas and the course was so flooded many of the fairways are now part of the lake.  Also doubled the last two holes with some shitty putting on my part or could have scored better.

Swing Trainer – GOLFFOREVER

ONE Wedge - Performance Golf

16 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

We had a boys trip to Denver, played Bear Dance, Arrowhead and Fox Hollow (Meadows). All really solid courses. 

Love Bear Dance. My favorite course on the Front Range. 

Posted (edited)

Some pics from Scottsdale trip

All courses were fantastic shape.  If I ranked them in order:

Grayhawk Raptor

TPC Scottdale

WeKoPa Cholla

TPC Stadium course  kinda meh

Spoiler

IMG_5794.thumb.jpeg.47125f0cf6f31dc2013d43924dc94413.jpeg

IMG_5797.thumb.jpeg.42ea2b177763b40993495653bc731b6e.jpeg

Grayhawk Raptor 

Spoiler

IMG_5805.thumb.jpeg.6aabd8863c6a922f3ae54283fdced9c1.jpeg

IMG_5811.thumb.jpeg.fd74be474c47e22155ddf53cc787bfd8.jpeg

IMG_5819.thumb.jpeg.d28b8ec5684b7b18c2f3281ab4b339eb.jpeg

WeKoPa Cholla  

Spoiler

IMG_5823.thumb.jpeg.596e4d34c9df01f5eb43359763edca7b.jpeg

IMG_5831.thumb.jpeg.bae4b178f0f49d7a2c518e69d861560b.jpeg

IMG_5835.thumb.jpeg.d757e8efe8efb53009f8a9c0e7db79c3.jpeg

Bonus round at the short course at Mountain Shadows

Spoiler

IMG_5778.thumb.jpeg.bf817408468f6d0157e92f58ec9a6b5b.jpeg

Edited by hacker
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’ve always been a feel putter for distance, but have been toying around with prescribed backstroke distances instead and I have to admit it works pretty damn well.

Anyone using this as their standard putting approach?

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

I’ve always been a feel putter for distance, but have been toying around with prescribed backstroke distances instead and I have to admit it works pretty damn well.

Anyone using this as their standard putting approach?

Seems to work well for Bryson. That creep can roll.

Finally back in the 70s. Feels like it's been near a year ... Shot a 77 with 6 bogeys and the rest pars. Some good par saving putts and some really bad short misses for bogey. Ball striking was superb 90% of the time and that was the difference. Now let's see how flukish or real that round was....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Broke 90 out in Delaware in my first full 18 of the year. I was hungover as fuck but having to get my focus in line might have helped?  Anyway I’ll keep drinking the night before

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'll be spending July in Golden, CO area. Any course recommendations within 1.5 hours drive of Golden?

Fossil Trace is in Golden. I love it, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Denver Metro public courses (no particular order):  CommonGround, Fox Hollow, Riverdale (Dunes course), Red Hawk Ridge, City Park, Bear Dance (south of town; worth the drive - my favorite course on the Front Range), Green Valley Ranch (lots of people like it, not my favorite), South Suburban, Lone Tree. 

Mountain courses more or less within your 1.5 hour drive limit and if you want to drop the coin:  Breckenridge, Pole Creek, both Keystone courses, Raven at Three Peaks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had my longest hole out of my career yesterday. 77 yards. Beat my previous best by probably close to 70 yards. Stuck three 8 irons and a 7 iron inside 4 feet. Golf is a hell of a lot more fun when your scoring clubs are dialed. 

Ive managed to drop my handicap from 19.7 to 15.1 in the last year. The 19.7 last June was the highest my handicap had been in a long time. I’m on target to go from 19.7 to single digits in 3 years. Goal for next June is 12, 9 by June 26. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'll be spending July in Golden, CO area. Any course recommendations within 1.5 hours drive of Golden?

We just played Arrowhead, Fox Hollow, and Bear Dance last week, solid courses.

• Hook 'Em 1

F this game.  So, I have always heard of “the yips” for putting.  I thought it was just something you had on a hole or 2.  I have had them the past two weeks and am petrified of putting.  I’m an 11 that normally putts and chips like a 5 but drives like a 20 and now I can’t putt.  Really fun part is, I am actually driving the ball well now.  At the moment, I can actually put left handed with the back of the putter way better than I can right handed. 

Aim or pace or both?

Lay down some sticks on a practice green and check your alignment if it's aim. If it's pace, I like to keep moving - wiggle the arms, shake the legs, whatever - and move fairly quick. That forces me to be more athletic and think less but feel more and usually my pace is decent as a result.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Atxracer said:

F this game.  So, I have always heard of “the yips” for putting.  I thought it was just something you had on a hole or 2.  I have had them the past two weeks and am petrified of putting.  I’m an 11 that normally putts and chips like a 5 but drives like a 20 and now I can’t putt.  Really fun part is, I am actually driving the ball well now.  At the moment, I can actually put left handed with the back of the putter way better than I can right handed. 

This odd drill, putting approach has helped me. Practice rolling balls on the green towards the hole. Stand just like you would if you were putting but instead roll balls towards the hole. When you do that you are going by feel and instinct rather than thinking about the stroke, form, hand position, follow through and all that other bullshit. Now do the same thing, but hitting the ball with a putter. That's my putting thought. Roll the ball towards the hole. It's helped with line and pace.

My problem putting and golf swing is I sometimes get too focused on the the mechanics and forget to just hit the damn ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 5:56 PM, dieucla98 said:

Aim or pace or both?

Lay down some sticks on a practice green and check your alignment if it's aim. If it's pace, I like to keep moving - wiggle the arms, shake the legs, whatever - and move fairly quick. That forces me to be more athletic and think less but feel more and usually my pace is decent as a result.

It’s both.  I just go full retard when I try to hit a putt.  Some pulled.  Some pushed. Some way too short.  Some way too long.  If I’m within 20 ft, it’s almost a guaranteed three putt.  If I’m 2ft to 5 ft, it’s almost a guaranteed 2 putt. It’s like a phobia now.  This, and chipping, used to be my strength (as in like 2 weeks ago).  I’ll try both of these drills but seriously considering left handed.  I can putt just fine that way.  So weird.  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

It’s both.  I just go full retard when I try to hit a putt.  Some pulled.  Some pushed. Some way too short.  Some way too long.  If I’m within 20 ft, it’s almost a guaranteed three putt.  If I’m 2ft to 5 ft, it’s almost a guaranteed 2 putt. It’s like a phobia now.  This, and chipping, used to be my strength (as in like 2 weeks ago).  I’ll try both of these drills but seriously considering left handed.  I can putt just fine that way.  So weird.  

You might consider getting a putting lesson/fitting with a knowledgeable teacher. In addition to helping you cure any stroke mechanic faults  he or she can help you determine if the style of putter you are using is conducive to the type of stroke you use. 

By way of example my putting is old school swinging gate. I need a putter with lots of toe hang. If you are a straight back and through putter, you need a balanced face or your short putts will be very inconsistent since you’re fighting the weight of the putter head through the stroke. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I had putting yips a few years ago and I went to a right hand claw grip.  Game changer for me.  I misread my share of putts and distance control is sometimes a problem, but I usually get it started on the intended line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Bears just got added to my personal rules about alligators. Don't care what the rulebook says. I am dropping about the same distance without penalty but on

other side of fairway.

One of those bears growled really loud when my son was hitting a shot from the fairway and he shanked it.  We let him have a do over as we figured that should be allowed.  

On 6/22/2024 at 9:14 AM, Atxracer said:

I just go full retard when I try to hit a putt.  [...]  So weird.  

Reminds me of getting the shanks back in 2020. It is a truly wild and uncomfortable feeling to be standing over a ball with the shanks and not being able to feel the difference between a swing that will flush it vs one that will endanger other people around you.

I felt like my putting went to shit a couple years ago. It was not on the level of what I'd call the yips, just that my total putts and three putts per round spiked to the point where I was dreading the thought of anything outside of 25 feet. I realized my issue was poor lag putting leaving myself too many 5+ footers instead of 2-3 footers, and statistically, this is a flaw that will wreak silent havoc on your scores over the long haul. Since then I have made the following three adjustments (one equipment, one practice, and one swing thought) and have noticed dramatic improvement:

1) I switched to a lighter putter with a smaller grip. I had been using a heavy tank of a putter with an equally heavy jumbo grip. It practically swung itself and I "felt" super confident that I could get my ball started on line which gave me a chance on every putt inside 10 feet. However, this cost me dearly in speed control, which is critical on any putt that starts outside the hole, no matter how long it is. Everything else about the putter (shape, offset/neck, alignment marking) stayed the same. I didn't go crazy getting all wristy with a pop stroke, but I just wanted the distance to be more about the feel of hitting the ball instead of a mechanical thought about how far back I should take the putter or whatever.

2) My putting practice and putting warmup before a round is almost entirely focused on putts inside 5 feet. In practice sessions I will do the circle or compass drill at 3-5 feet almost exclusively. Before a round I will stroke a couple random long putts uphill and downhill to gauge the speed and rollout of the greens, but aside from that I am hitting nothing but 2, 3, 4 and 5 footers. I probably look like a psycho practicing nothing but short putts before a round, but it's a great way to build confidence over a shot you're going to have on pretty much every hole, and confidence extends to the 6-8 foot range, as well. Missing short ones on the course, whether it's for birdie, par, or bogey, will fuck with your head and ruin your round. Getting good enough at these to be truly confident in making them is a game changer. Furthermore, having confidence that I am going to put a good stroke on the ball frees me up to focus my brain on the speed and break of a putt. I didn't develop this confidence because I never miss these putts. I certainly do. Rather, the confidence comes from having made a ton of them in practice.

3) The only think I think about when making a stroke is keeping my eyes focused intently on a single small point like a dot or dimple on my ball. I usually mark my ball with a dot and place it so the dot is facing up towards the rear of the ball, near where my putter will make contact with it but visible from above, or if I haven't marked my ball I will pick a specific dimple or a part of the logo in that area and basically just try to stare a hole through it while putting. I have tried looking at the front edge of the hole on short straight putts, and that works as well. I have even tried closing my eyes just before pulling the trigger. Each of those methods is significantly better than just looking at the ball generally because if I do not focus on a single point my eyes will wander, I will invariably watch my putter on the backswing and instantly I am thinking about whether or not I took it back inside, outside, square, closed, whatever, and it is at that point that I am truly fucked. This has worked so well that I have started doing it on full swings. With my driver I like to pick a dimple towards the rear and inside of the ball to promote a good inside-out slightly upwards path. On irons I stare at a spot at the very front of the ball to promote a downward strike. Looking at the front or back of the ball may be bullshit, but what's key for me is that I am fixed on a specific spot. This keeps my eyes from wandering and I think the level of effort it takes to maintain this simple focus helps keep my mind from wandering to some random other swing thought that is likely to flutter into my head at the top of my backswing.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend (1) or (3) above to everyone, but I will go to bat for the universal benefit of (2). I think the real value in these and other potential fixes lies in trying to simplify the mental and physical component of the game. If not focusing on a dimple or getting more feel/less robotic in your stroke, find some other small thing like a preshot routine or a particular set up/grip feel that you can just drill in practice and crush on the course, because thinking about the yips isn't going to help at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I also do nothing but 5-6’ putts pre-round, ideally perfectly straight and a bit uphill. I may do a few straight downhillers if the speed is unusually fast, but that’s rare.

Best tip I have is to make sure you’re swinging by rocking your shoulders ONLY, allowing your arms and hands to remain passive. Once you’re doing that equal length back and through, you’ve taken most of the swing variables out of play, so emphasis can be on speed and read.

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Also, confirm your putting stroke is actually smooth. Should start back slowly, not jerky, and transition to through-swing similarly, having nearly paused at end of backswing. Yippy putters tend to be very jerky in my experience

Potters Putting on IG is a good follow and he likes a drill that is essentially this but with a deliberate pause - backswing slowly, feel the path, pause, count to 2, focus on returning the putter on the same path with the same pace (pace won't be the same, it will be faster as that's just tendency, but forcing yourself to think "slow down" helps keep the putter on path and you'll be surprised how often the ball still gets to the hole). 

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I used to be a horrific putter, like I have rolled over 50 putts in a round and that all changed when I got the LAB putter below a few years ago.  It’s expensive but worth every penny to me.

https://labgolf.com/products/mezz-1-max-custom

If you like to swing on an arc, that putter is not for you. It's 100% for players that like to putt straight back and thru.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I used to be a horrific putter, like I have rolled over 50 putts in a round and that all changed when I got the LAB putter below a few years ago.  It’s expensive but worth every penny to me.

https://labgolf.com/products/mezz-1-max-custom

Crash Davis/Me: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!

J/k, sorta.

I got paired with a guy who had a Lab putter. He loved it inside 6 feet. He hated it outside 20 feet. He said he has a problem with distance control on long putts. We traded putters after the 8th hole. I use a TM Spider. I don't know if my opinions of the Lab were biased from his comments, but I found the exact results that he said. I felt more confidence inside 10 feet but I couldn't lag on long putts for shit. At the end of the, he was willing to trade me straight up for my Spider. I declined. He said he was going to go to Golf Galaxy to trade his Lab for a Spider.

Just like most everything in golf, it's all between the ears. It's the indian, not the arrow, mostly.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Crash Davis/Me: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!

J/k, sorta.

I got paired with a guy who had a Lab putter. He loved it inside 6 feet. He hated it outside 20 feet. He said he has a problem with distance control on long putts. We traded putters after the 8th hole. I use a TM Spider. I don't know if my opinions of the Lab were biased from his comments, but I found the exact results that he said. I felt more confidence inside 10 feet but I couldn't lag on long putts for shit. At the end of the, he was willing to trade me straight up for my Spider. I declined. He said he was going to go to Golf Galaxy to trade his Lab for a Spider.

Just like most everything in golf, it's all between the ears. It's the indian, not the arrow, mostly.

I still think it’s the arrow for me.  I switched from a spider to the LAB.  I don’t have issues with lagging the ball but the LAB keeps you on the line you intended which I struggled with when I used the spider.  Just take it straight back and straight forward and the ball rolls where you aimed it.  I still misread greens but that is on me.

• Hook 'Em 1