2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

Losing my retirement savings because Club Champion has my number.

Brilliant results with new AW-6i, so of course I immediately decide to get new wedges to match iron shafts. Oh, I should hit a few 3woods, too? Yep there’s another bucket of cash I’ll be handing over

• Haha 1

Ran across an entitled, rude, selfish prick with no self-awareness today out at the course. He had a custom golf cart and was blaring music so loud from speakers mounted in the back it could be heard hundreds of yards away. 

All of these jackwagons on the course seem to have similar personalities and even to some extent similar looks. Which Surly golfer did I just hear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a LIV fan.

My son was asking me a lot about golf etiquette recently, and my advice was that it changed over the years. For example, I remember when metal spikes were the standard and etiquette meant you didn’t wear them in the Men’s lounge or the locker room. And he will never know the sound of spikes on pea gravel. Just basic stuff like don’t stand in someone’s field of vision, don’t walk in their line, repair all ball marks, leave your bunker rakes in the right place, etc.

We were looking at the U.S. Amateur trophy in the hallway at Pinehurst and I gave him a history of Bobby Jones and amateurism and how early touring pros were considered uncouth and not gentlemen. How a lot of golf “etiquette” was actually snobbish and elitist and how modern etiquette is pretty much don’t be a dick and if you want to play the par 3 course barefoot then have at it.

But I draw the line at loud music.

Meh. I don’t care. If far off music impacts my game, I’ve got bigger issues.

We need more kids in the game. Being grumpy old men enforcing silly “rules” that don’t impact the game doesn’t help the cause.

Shirt collar rule is the dumbest of the dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We need more kids in the game. Being grumpy old men enforcing silly “rules” that don’t impact the game doesn’t help the cause.

Agreed.

I love that many soldiers stationed at Ft. Bragg live in Southern Pines and Pinehurst, and hang out at the local courses.

Rolling into the Deuce bar after a round was like attending a block party of chopper pilots just back from deployment. I love that the Army also keeps nice courses on base.

I’m at that point where I want my kid and his buddies to grow the game and play as many rounds as possible.

my fave random pairing, two guys that lost 3 balls each on the 1st tee. they didn’t let up for 17 holes. we get to 18 and they’re digging around their bags. i’m laughing and ask ‘need a golf ball ???’ 

no, we’re out of tees 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

The Moses Malone I golfed with is 51, about 5’8”, and works at the ExxonMobil plant.

Once I was at the incredible practice complex at Sea Island, getting loose to play the seaside course, when I noticed the only other guy on the range next to me, a skinny dude wearing Boston Celtics ankle socks. Rick Pitino. Luckily I got paired with some retired MDs. I needed to relax and probably wouldn’t be able to if I was paired with an NBA coach.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:29 PM, Lurch said:

Meh. I don’t care. If far off music impacts my game, I’ve got bigger issues.

Shirt collar rule is the dumbest of the dumb.

So long as they don’t wear their baseball cap backwards.  Take that to the tennis court.  

(I’m joking, sort of)

A friend and I took on a single at Memorial Park in Houston sometime in the late 90's.  Nice old guy named Jerry.  We had a good time and were bullshitting with him all day.  Toward the end of the round we started talking football and my buddy said something like, "Jerry, you looked like you probably played some football back in your day."  Jerry chuckled and said yeah, he did.  It was Jerry Kramer from Packers.  We didn't want to wear him out but he was kind enough to regale us with some commentary on the Ice Bowl.  He was super cool to us that day.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That is awesome.

Talking about music on the golf course, my 2 close friends tour with another friend - Grammy winning country music star from the 90s - for several weeks each summer. They play golf during off days and then do a concert at night. One day they’re playing and he has his Bluetooth speaker out and SiriusXM country station playing softly in the background, and he starts singing along to himself on the “radio” which got a chuckle. Then he pretends to do some mental math and announces “well boys, my royalties during this round amount to about eighty seven cents”

late 90’s or so, picked up a single at cedar creek in sa. a walker and that’s a tough front nine to walk. guy had very small walking bag. as he’s walking down #1, he pulls a bud from his bag. he kills a 12 pack on the front 9, buys 10 more at the turn. it was a very hot summer day. 

start talking and such, turns he was pilot flying out of sa later that night 😳😳😳😳

• Like 3

Got paired up with Chris Klein of American Pie fame about a decade ago at Grey Rock.  I immediately recognized him.  He was just getting into golf and got paired up with our threesome.  Super nice guy.  Didn't talk a word about Hollywood or the movies during the entire round and we didn't ask.  We traded cell numbers afterwards.  I ended up playing with him a few more times that winter but schedules rarely jived.  

This perfectly exemplifies how golf is ALL between the ears, even for tour pros.

TLDW: Sahith has always hated the 7 iron. He chunked it 6 times in two weekends. Solution? Shave off the 7 on the 7 iron and draw an 8 on there. Now everything is resolved. No more "7" iron.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I walked in with ‘sucker’ on my forehead …..

IMG_1837.thumb.jpeg.7c53928933c792c1e4b55343471b070b.jpeg

5 to pw, aw. 2 degree strong. kbs max graphite shafts 

i’ll get mcc+4 grips after i get them 

P790’s, like butter 

The lofts on the P790s are already strong (7i 30.5 degrees). Wondering why they made them even stronger. That's super improvement category.

That begs the question how many wedges you'll be getting to complete your gapping. Your PW is now 43 degrees, your AW will need to be 47-48 degree, you'll need a 52 and a sand wedge at 56. If you play a lob wedge (60 degree), you'll have 5 wedges.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

The lofts on the P790s are already strong (7i 30.5 degrees). Wondering why they made them even stronger. That's super improvement category.

That begs the question how many wedges you'll be getting to complete your gapping. Your PW is now 43 degrees, your AW will need to be 47-48 degree, you'll need a 52 and a sand wedge at 56. If you play a lob wedge (60 degree), you'll have 5 wedges.

the new lofts match up to my current set, one degree stronger. i have zero issues getting it up

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

i’ll play aw and a 54 vokey. no lob 

• Hook 'Em 1

Serious question - does it really matter what the club is called (is it a 9 or a PW?). It’s really just about distance , right?

Speaking from a mid handicap. I know pros and good players can use wedges in ways I don’t comprehend.

4 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Serious question - does it really matter what the club is called (is it a 9 or a PW?). It’s really just about distance , right?

Speaking from a mid handicap. I know pros and good players can use wedges in ways I don’t comprehend.

It doesn't matter what the number is but gapping matters. There's usually a 4 degree separation between clubs. People average 3 yards per degree of loft, also 1 mph swing speed also usually is 3 yards. So there's an average 12 yards difference between clubs. Some people are 10 yards, some are 15 yards. Depends on ball striking and club head speed. A 45 degree PW for me goes 138ish yards. My 49 degree gap wedge goes 126ish yards. If my PW is now 43 degree, it now goes 144 yards, there's now a 18 yard difference between my PW and GW. If a PW is now 41 degrees, the club is now 150 yards long and now I'm 24 yards between my PW and GW. I need another GW between the 2. 

Also one of the big issues with the hollow body irons is the 5-7 irons go so much further than expected from the 8-PW. The step function is longer than 12 yards. There are gapping issues within the irons.

• Hook 'Em 1

club lofts are a huge topic. hit what feels good and gives you the best ball flight 

Ive always hit the ball high. my 10 year old set had strong lofts (for the time). i went off those lofts for the new set. my last set wasn’t very adjustable, this set is. low launch shafts have never felt good to me

100%, do not buy any club with some type of fitting. a buddy of mine was always a low handicap player. he’s older and went and got fitted for a new bag, he’s hitting his driver 275ish. soft regular shaft, with the right kick point and he’s found his game again. find the right shaft for your swing

a new driver is next. i went for a taylor made driver fitting event, picked up 20 yards carry with the right shaft and loft. i want to hit the new ping driver before pulling the trigger 

any houston people, i can recommend a guy for lessons 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good stuff Crash and 3 Putt. One of my golfing buds gives me shit for carrying 5 wedges (PW, AW, 52, 56, 60). But if my PW is really an old school 9, does it really matter if it's called a wedge or not? No, I say. I'm going to call my AW my Shirley club, so now I'm only carrying 4 wedges! It'll fuck with my buddy.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Good stuff Crash and 3 Putt. One of my golfing buds gives me shit for carrying 5 wedges (PW, AW, 52, 56, 60). But if my PW is really an old school 9, does it really matter if it's called a wedge or not? No, I say. I'm going to call my AW my Shirley club, so now I'm only carrying 4 wedges! It'll fuck with my buddy.

back in the day, ping eye 2 .... pw 50.5, 9 45, 8 40, 7 36, 6 32, 5 28.5 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, crash_davis said:

This perfectly exemplifies how golf is ALL between the ears, even for tour pros.

TLDW: Sahith has always hated the 7 iron. He chunked it 6 times in two weekends. Solution? Shave off the 7 on the 7 iron and draw an 8 on there. Now everything is resolved. No more "7" iron.

not just in golf

extreme username to discussion correlation 

@DDD Dad Know it's your favorite.

Just took a Bandon trip and if you haven’t, book one.  Played 18, 36, 36.  Rank would be Bandon, Trails, Pac Dunes, Sheep, Old Mac.  Pretty good deal, considering.  On 36 hole days your first 18 is full cost and 2nd is half price.  Rooms were a deal when sharing with a buddy.  Food was good and booze is free flowing.  Caddies were all great. Travel was easy compared to what I expected.  From Dallas, United through Denver or SF gets you there in time for a round or you can fly direct to Eugene and then have a pretty drive (about 2.5 hours).  10/10. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 9/13/2024 at 9:36 PM, Steel Shank said:

Guy I golf with most tries to give me shit about that. I run PW (43), 48, 52, 56, 60. I give him shit back by throwing darts at flags. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Rank would be Bandon, Trails, Pac Dunes, Sheep, Old Mac. 

rare to see anyone with Trails above Pac Dunes.  I'd go Bandon, Pac Dunes, Old Mac, Sheep, Trails.  Playing in the trees doesn't feel right there to me.  But all the courses are great fun really.  

Love Bandon.  Such a fun experience with a good crew.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

@DDD Dad Know it's your favorite.

Rank would be Bandon, Trails, Pac Dunes, Sheep, Old Mac.  

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Bandon is by far my overall favorite of the courses. Absolutely perfect for match play. Pac and Sheep Ranch offer the most stunning views. Trails might be the “best” of all of them but for 14 and the green on the first par 3. While I’ve never had the good fortune to visit either Pine Valley or Augusta National, the stretch of holes from about 8 to 13 seems to be a solid facsimile of both.  Sheep Ranch is probably the most enjoyable walk you could ever have on a golf course. 

I respect what Doak and Urbina did with the challenging piece of property they had for Old Mac. But, in my mind it fails as what it purports to be (an homage to C.B. MacDonald’s template holes). The versions of Biarritz and Redan are just terrible in my view. As I’ve said many times before, the Redan isn’t even the best Redan on the property. (17 on Pac is by far a better example). 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Shit my pants at pac but it was gorgeous.

What were you dealing with for weather?  I've played Pac in still conditions and steady 20mph with gusts above 35.  It's an absolute bear in windy conditions, and very playable when its still.  Granted I'm not skilled enough to go play 40 plus punch shots to try and nullify the wind, although it's fun playing down wind and getting a hold of one then having some lofted club in on a Par 5.