2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

22 hours ago, heso said:

Guy I golf with most tries to give me shit about that. I run PW (43), 48, 52, 56, 60. I give him shit back by throwing darts at flags. 

IMG_1834.jpeg

my old irons were titleist ap1 714’s 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_1834.jpeg

Mine are 718 AP1s 5-48 (lofts match the t200s without the half degrees), vokey 52-56-60. Driver, 3w, 3h. I’ve been entertaining the idea of 60, 54, 48 so that I can fill the hole between 3h & 5i but for now I’m pretty content with where I’m at. Next club purchases will be driver & 3w.

8 minutes ago, heso said:

Mine are 718 AP1s 5-48 (lofts match the t200s without the half degrees), vokey 52-56-60. Driver, 3w, 3h. I’ve been entertaining the idea of 60, 54, 48 so that I can fill the hole between 3h & 5i but for now I’m pretty content with where I’m at. Next club purchases will be driver & 3w.

the new tm 3 wood is hugely popular. i’m still nailing my m6 3 wood stock shaft, might swap shafts to get a better / more consistent flight

im getting a driver: already did a TM fitting, picked up 20 yards carry. i want to hit the ping and get fitted. itll be on those two

i did buy a ping 7 wood and that club is just stupid easy to hit. don’t want to try the. 3 wood because that’s another $300 out the window 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the new tm 3 wood is hugely popular. i’m still nailing my m6 3 wood stock shaft, might swap shafts to get a better / more consistent flight

im getting a driver: already did a TM fitting, picked up 20 yards carry. i want to hit the ping and get fitted. itll be on those two

i did buy a ping 7 wood and that club is just stupid easy to hit. don’t want to try the. 3 wood because that’s another $300 out the window 

I need to go to a tm demo day or club champion and get a long game fitting. My 3w is a tm burner that I bought in 2009 that I still absolutely love. By far the oldest club in my bag, but I’m so damn consistent with it. I’d love to find a 3w that I could get 20 more yards out of without giving up much consistency. My driver is an M4 with a ust recoil shaft in it, but I don’t think the shaft fits my swing anymore. Last couple years I’ve gained some distance but am wildly inconsistent with it. With how well I hit my 3w, I only pull driver 4-5 times a round, if that.

11 minutes ago, heso said:

I need to go to a tm demo day or club champion and get a long game fitting. My 3w is a tm burner that I bought in 2009 that I still absolutely love. By far the oldest club in my bag, but I’m so damn consistent with it. I’d love to find a 3w that I could get 20 more yards out of without giving up much consistency. My driver is an M4 with a ust recoil shaft in it, but I don’t think the shaft fits my swing anymore. Last couple years I’ve gained some distance but am wildly inconsistent with it. With how well I hit my 3w, I only pull driver 4-5 times a round, if that.

not sure where youre located, but i highly recommend edwin watts on westhimer 

they have a mizuno demo day coming up, free iron fitting. i was signed up by taylor made hooked me 

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What were you dealing with for weather?  I've played Pac in still conditions and steady 20mph with gusts above 35.  It's an absolute bear in windy conditions, and very playable when its still.  Granted I'm not skilled enough to go play 40 plus punch shots to try and nullify the wind, although it's fun playing down wind and getting a hold of one then having some lofted club in on a Par 5.

Weather and about 25 cocktails etc from the night prior.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is the tm driver the Qi10?

I haven't bought clubs in over a decade and feel like it's time for some new ones. I'm a shit golfer, so I need the game improvement stuff. My last set was TM Rocketballz. I'm not stuck on nor against any particular brand, but I do like TM and Ping FWIW. Not looking to spend an arm & a leg. Don't mind the thought of buying used, either. What's the new hotness these days?

18 hours ago, Sandman said:

I haven't bought clubs in over a decade and feel like it's time for some new ones. I'm a shit golfer, so I need the game improvement stuff. My last set was TM Rocketballz. I'm not stuck on nor against any particular brand, but I do like TM and Ping FWIW. Not looking to spend an arm & a leg. Don't mind the thought of buying used, either. What's the new hotness these days?

ping G730 irons 

find your local ping rep and they’ll throw a free fitting at you 

i highly recommend their woods too 

Try to find a used set of Ping G400 irons.  They are good game improvement irons that even pretty good golfers can benefit from.  They are a little hard to fade and draw, but for most players and most shots that doesn’t matter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2024 at 1:46 PM, tx 3 putt said:

not sure where youre located, but i highly recommend edwin watts on westhimer 

they have a mizuno demo day coming up, free iron fitting. i was signed up by taylor made hooked me 

Still miss Golfsmith All Vendors Day the weekend before the Masters. As a leftie I got to try out all sorts of clubs from all the big vendors. Bought multiple clubs and sets from Golfsmith because of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2024 at 1:10 PM, babysdaddy said:

about 25 cocktails etc from the night prior.

8db1d021-1988-4762-9f61-5601f62300c4_tex

especially at Bandon.  Played there once just dripping sweat on a 60 degree day after a LOOOOOOONG night.   That trip shook me a bit straighter on drinking as I get older.  bad ideas.

On 9/24/2024 at 4:50 PM, Sandman said:

Don’t throw out those Rocketballz fairway metals. Those things are still hotter than a lot of stuff in the market today. Right, @chitwood?

On 9/25/2024 at 3:37 PM, tx 3 putt said:

global golf has been good to me in the past for used clubs 

I have gotten some absolute steals from there over the years. My AP1s were sold there used in “like new” condition. They had never been hit. All but 1 were still in the plastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

This goddamn game, I swear. Have been chipping/pitching really well recently, I'm an 18.5 and I compare myself to a 15 index in my Arccos and have been consistently +SG in short game vs a 15, including multiple rounds where I was close to or even better than scratch. 

Have a round where I hit 9/13 fairways with all four misses being just in light rough with realistic shots at the green; was on the green or greenside on all 5 par 3s, including a 5w to 9 feet on one; had zero lost balls/penalty strokes AND gained strokes putting! Must have been a great round right?? OPE, lost 10.9 strokes short game, whammy!! FIVE times down in 5 from greenside and four more down in 4. 

Hate golf, can't wait to play more golf. 

• Like 2