2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

On 7/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Last few rounds, I really felt like I'd lost my driver.  I had been really focused on shortening my backswing and finishing through the ball.  I was hitting fairways pretty consistently with decent distance for me (250-270).  The last several rounds, I'd noticed probably 10-20 yds less distance on damn near every drive and my shot dispersion was all over the place.  Well, this time, it was probably the arrow and not the Indian.

Last Thursday evening, about mid-way through the round, I teed off.  Decent drive.  Nice little draw.  Good trajectory.  The ball went 180 yds.  I was perplexed.  Two holes later, pulled out the driver again.  The club head felt like it twisted when it made contact and the ball shot left.  Not a push or a slice.  Just shot dead left OB.  I hit the ground of the tee box in frustration (more than a tap but much less than a slam), and the shaft busted.  Head went bouncing up in the air.  We were all in disbelief.  Best I can figure, the shaft had some damage to it the last several rounds and finally broke.  Anyone have that happen before?

Now, the real question is which new driver (and maybe a 3W) do I put in the bag?  Got a fitting set up for early next week.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9779e9c82f319b529bdac770ab7d3f3b.jpeg

Sounds like driver was working just fine so why change the head? Go get fitted for the appropriate shaft using that head and end up with a better setup for half the price of a new driver (and that's for a solid mid to upper level shaft). 

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Sounds like driver was working just fine so why change the head? Go get fitted for the appropriate shaft using that head and end up with a better setup for half the price of a new driver (and that's for a solid mid to upper level shaft). 

Half thinking of doing that.  Have never done a fitting, so going to give it a try, but bringing the head and may just go with a new shaft.  Stay tuned...

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Half thinking of doing that.  Have never done a fitting, so going to give it a try, but bringing the head and may just go with a new shaft.  Stay tuned...

Been said a few times on these annual threads... Shaft is the engine, head is just a hood ornament. 

It makes a massive difference, get ready!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

4196a64f0c31ac1e74437b4a6f9629d8.jpg
9a663b4a0849385259b23a0bc2e8ab68.jpg
9 handicap, standing in the 18th tee box even par … then golf happened

damn good round !

30 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I was on the opposite side of that coin on Friday. Hit 5 greens all day, converted two for birds. Scrambled my dick off. Shot a PR (for my home course) of 75. Stoked.

PXL_20240726_215610820_MP.thumb.jpg.1ee9f9628500790a8ee4908da70a4920.jpg

That’s some golfing there 

Golf?  What’s that?  No golf in Houston for a while.  This fucking rain just will not end.  It’s been crazy all summer.  Hope it rains in the Hill Country but we need about 8 weeks of no rain in Houston.   

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 7:07 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

do a fitting with an equipment rep. trying all the shafts is eye opening 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)

I've heard those guys are great. Looking at their brands, they have all the heavy hitters that are available only to a custom fitter plus all the mainstream brands as well. For example, a Titleist rep won't have Accra shafts and a limited selection of Graphite Design and Oban.

Edit: "Those guys" being the Barton Creek crew. CC is also solid.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, HouTex said:

I still love my R7’s. They are part of my second set I keep in Colorado.  My new TM 790’s are nice though.  

Get paired with a guy yesterday playing a R7 driver. It was his most consistent club in the bag. Middle of the fairway every drive. Copy, paste every drive.

It's all between the ears. If you are confident with the club and hit it well, why spend the extra money? 

My most trusted club in my bag is a 2014 Adams Idea 4 hybrid. I upgraded the shaft to a Tensei AV Blue. It's my 220 yard fairway finder club for short par 4s with tight fairways and it's extremely easy to hit off the deck.

• Hook 'Em 2

Had a fun fitting session at Club Champion

Switching to 70g reg graphite iron shafts (from 105g reg steel) and going with Vice (!) VGI02 6i - AW. Feel and distance were significantly better. I had no idea what I was hitting throughout the session until we looked at results. I didn’t even know they carried Vice!

We weren’t able to improve vs my TSR4 driver stats (using same shaft they put me on back in 2018!) and it looks like speed training is my only option there.

We think we can improve my 3w quite a bit but I was getting gassed and decided to put that off for now as the variance was starting to get pretty wide.

Also confirmed what I feared with my putter. I had switched to a flatso without counter weights and the only way I could find stability was to grip down, fucking up my posture. Reverting back now to what was working in the past. I was pretty sure that’s what he’d see, but it was cool to see it prove out on their monitor.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Switching to 70g reg graphite iron shafts (from 105g reg steel) and going with Vice (!) VGI02 6i - AW. Feel and distance were significantly better. I had no idea what I was hitting throughout the session until we looked at results. I didn’t even know they carried Vice!

We weren’t able to improve vs my TSR4 driver stats (using same shaft they put me on back in 2018!) and it looks like speed training is my only option there.

We think we can improve my 3w quite a bit but I was getting gassed and decided to put that off for now as the variance was starting to get pretty wide.

Also confirmed what I feared with my putter. I had switched to a flatso without counter weights and the only way I could find stability was to grip down, fucking up my posture. Reverting back now to what was working in the past. I was pretty sure that’s what he’d see, but it was cool to see it prove out on their monitor.

what irons are you playing ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

what irons are you playing ?

Srixon Z765/565 mix. When I got into them in 2018 they were the only clubs that felt buttery. Interestingly the current Srixons didn’t feel that way, but these Vice clubs did
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Srixon Z765/565 mix. When I got into them in 2018 they were the only clubs that felt buttery. Interestingly the current Srixons didn’t feel that way, but these Vice clubs did

My old set is exactly the same combo Z565 5-7, Z765 8-PW. My gamers are now 1st Gen ZX5. I can't say that the ZX5 are an improvement over my Z5/765s. I just play the ZX5 because I paid for them and they are newer. I could switch between the two and not really notice a difference.

Which goes back to my belief. Most cavity back irons are all the same. It comes down to personal preference. I'm not trying to hit my 7 iron 200 yards which then entirely fucks my gapping for all clubs.

Anyone have any opinions about Denver area courses?

Staying in Centennial next week and have been recommended:

Arrowhead
Fossil Ridge
South Suburban (likely due to proximity)

Will be playing Wednesday morning.

Hit me with some local knowledge someone plz

Played Green Valley right near the airport and Fossil Trace in Golden - loved both. Green Valley was not mountain golf per say but it was a great "get off the plane and play golf" kind of place. Loved the layout though a lot more linksy than you'd think.

Fossil Trace was epic. Just fun. And beautiful. Except for that one snake I saw. Fuck that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, huge said:

Arrowhead
Fossil Ridge

highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Arrowhead. Big rocks, big views, cool history.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I asked the same and got responses up thread. 

Was there for a month in the mountains in between Golden and Boulder. I played...

- Fossil Trace (twice) - Must Play

- Bear Dance - Must Play

- Arrowhead - Must Play

- Indian Peaks - Decent course if you are in the area and can't get onto the top 3. Walkable.

- Westwood - Avoid. Most par 4 tee shots are 200-220 yards. Very short course. Walkable.

- Flatirons - Avoid unless you need a cheap quick round. Walkable.

Most everyone I played with suggested Colorado National as a must play. I couldn't make it work but will play there the next time I'm in Denver. I really liked Fossil Trace, Bear Dance and Arrowhead. Those 3 will be on everyone's recommended Must Play list.

Edited by crash_davis

16 hours ago, huge said:

Arrowhead
Fossil Ridge

Castle Pines.  Cherry Creek CC.

Pinehurst trip for next summer officially on the books! 2, 3, 4, & 8. Trying to talk at least some of the boys into going down a day early and doing Tobacco Road and mid pines. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/8/2024 at 4:55 PM, heso said:

Pinehurst trip for next summer officially on the books! 2, 3, 4, & 8. Trying to talk at least some of the boys into going down a day early and doing Tobacco Road and mid pines. 

Pine needles & mid pines make a great 36 for one day. Great bar at the hotel at Mid Pines 

19 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Pine needles & mid pines make a great 36 for one day. Great bar at the hotel at Mid Pines 

Been pushing hard to lead into the trip with mid pines or pine needles (or both) plus Tobacco Road, but I’m meeting surprising resistance to playing 36 three days in a row. 

Leave for Bandon Saturday with my old college teammates. Playing Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old Mac, Sheep Ranch, Bandon Preserve, and Shortys. Played Trails last time and will miss it. Sheep Ranch opened the day after we left last time, so I’m excited to see it. 65 and light winds will feel amazing.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

On 8/1/2024 at 6:19 PM, Lurch said:

I'd love to do this one of these days. I've been playing golf for 35+ years and have always played hand me downs or off the shelf clubs. I don't get to play that much these days with 3 kids and all the associated activities, but I've been stuck around 9-10 index for years now. I think changing to more forgiving irons from my 15 year old AP2s might help moderate my missed shots, which tend to be horrendous right now (usually a 30+ yard left pull/hook).

Edited by The Royal We

I'd love to do this one of these days. I've been playing golf for 35+ years and have always played hand me downs or off the shelf clubs. I don't get to play that much these days with 3 kids and all the associated activities, but I've been stuck around 9-10 index for years now. I think changing to more forgiving irons from my 15 year old AP2s might help moderate my missed shots, which tend to be horrendous right now (usually a 30+ yard left pull/hook).

I’d say just go do an iron fitting for the experience. Even if you don’t end up buying anything and eat the fitting fee, I think it’s worth it in entertainment value alone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/8/2024 at 3:55 PM, heso said:

On 8/10/2024 at 4:39 PM, Lurch said:

Pro tip: sleep in on the day they play #2

Funny story about #2. At my club we have a member (and friend of mine) who went on a group trip to Pinehurst years ago. His last name is Regan (pronounced like Ronnie). At the time he was a sub-5 handicap. Played number 2 and didn’t make a single par. The feat sealed his name forever at Lakewood. Now if you are playing and haven’t made a par you’re “on the Regan” (watch). Last week I had a back 9 Regan. It was not a good day. 

ETA if someone is off to a bad start and finally makes a par we often congratulate them for getting “off the “Regan”.  Right, @capnamerca?

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, huge said:

It was great.  Wish I had played better.

For a good six to eight year stretch they were maintaining it like crap. Think ownership may have changed, so good to hear it’s back up to snuff. 

On 8/16/2024 at 6:10 AM, ocugolf said:

Anyone ever eaten off resort in Bandon? If so, any suggestions? We booked dinner reservations late and have one free night where we may go into town

Tony’s crab shack.  Then wander over to Arcade Tavern and play pool with the caddies.  Buy them a round and you will be solid.

If you’re a pretentious douche ignore that advice, there would be a non zero chance of trouble.

• Like 1

Been pushing hard to lead into the trip with mid pines or pine needles (or both) plus Tobacco Road, but I’m meeting surprising resistance to playing 36 three days in a row. 

At PH now, had a nice round on #3 and then drinks at the deuce.

468bdd82121a5a5228b74f94ac62653d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 8/16/2024 at 8:10 AM, ocugolf said:

Anyone ever eaten off resort in Bandon? If so, any suggestions? We booked dinner reservations late and have one free night where we may go into town

Yes many times. Alloro (I think that’s what it’s called) is probably the best restaurant in town after Edgewater closed. My group regularly goes to the Wheelhouse for one dinner each year. It’s fine but I wouldn’t consider it outstanding. 

The Irish pub in town has good pub food and a great vibe but it closes pretty early at night (like just about everything in town). 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 12:56 PM, crash_davis said:

My old set is exactly the same combo Z565 5-7, Z765 8-PW. My gamers are now 1st Gen ZX5. I can't say that the ZX5 are an improvement over my Z5/765s. I just play the ZX5 because I paid for them and they are newer. I could switch between the two and not really notice a difference.

Which goes back to my belief. Most cavity back irons are all the same. It comes down to personal preference. I'm not trying to hit my 7 iron 200 yards which then entirely fucks my gapping for all clubs.

We golfers are like fishermen when it comes to equipment. The manufacturers tease you with new gear because that is what they do.

I still play a set of Ping Beryllium copper eye two irons I bought in the 80’s. Ancient tech for sure, not to mention head heavy. I just changed the shafts as I have aged, and my swing speed has turned glacial. They handle a modern golf ball well, considering they were more aligned to hitting balata.

I’m as guilty as everyone else as I own other club sets, but I like feel of copper. Plus they look pretty sharp when you polish them. but yeah, I still buy shit.

• Like 1

After my second trip to Bandon, I think I can officially confirm my rankings of the property.

1. Pacific Dunes. Probably the hardest. Great variation of holes. So enjoyable.

2. Bandon Dunes. Some amazing holes like 4-6, 12, 14-16. Some filler holes, but a great walk.

3. Old Mac. Hated it the first time. So vast and the greens are infuriatingly bad and undulating. Went into it with a better attitude and it’s fun and you get to hit a lot of really cool shots.

4. Trails. So different than any of the other courses. Love the tree lined fairways. Bitch to walk though.

5. Sheep Ranch. Greens are awful right now. Fun layout that is an easy walk. Probably would have a better opinion if it the greens were better.

Shortys and Preserve are both awesome. Shortys in particular can be diabolical with some of the green complexes.

We had an OUTSTANDING meal at the steakhouse at Old Mac. Went into town to the Arcade bar and hung with the caddies. That was fun. Walked a smooth 54.2 miles in the 4 days there. I’m a tired SOB. Can’t wait to go back 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Took the family vacay to Ireland and Scotland this year.  Stayed at the Old Course Hotel in St. Andrews toward the end of the trip.  Our room looked out over the Road Hole...

IMG_5267.thumb.jpg.691843accca46d71afa8165c23caa7bc.jpg

My youngest and I are the only golfers in the family so we didn't plan to play but we stayed on Saturday night so we could walk the course on Sunday morning. Finished by playing the Himalayas putting course.  Overall very fun and spent way too much $$$ at the pro shop.  Definitely want to go back to play a round at some point.

IMG_5274.thumb.jpg.ff3a57e0f5950e708e598e0e7a557551.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_5683.thumb.jpg.fe116257984913692ea1d1d743fd6db7.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

Edited by orange dream
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1