2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This makes the Nico deal look even better. Waddle is nowhere near as valuable as Nico, imo:

I actually did a side by side comparison because I had the same initial thought. Waddle has better career numbers and his year 2 is comparable to Nico’s year 3. But Waddle is a WR2 and probably always will be. 

IMG_1572.png

IMG_1571.png

• Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nico had two disappointing seasons then one good season, after getting CJ and with most of his stats coming after Tank went down. Waddle plays with Tua and is the second option behind Tyreek and put up 3 good seasons. I wouldn’t use Nico’s great second half of 2023 to say paying him $24m/yr is a much better deal than paying Waddle $28/yr. I’m still skeptical about Nico (or any player handed a big contract after a statistical outlier performance during a contract year (yes, I know Nico had a 4th year on his rookie deal)) that they may get content with their bag and not play up to their maximum. At least he’s young enough to still be motivated to play for his next bag in 2028, hopefully.

On 5/30/2024 at 9:52 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Nico had two disappointing seasons then one good season, after getting CJ and with most of his stats coming after Tank went down. Waddle plays with Tua and is the second option behind Tyreek and put up 3 good seasons. I wouldn’t use Nico’s great second half of 2023 to say paying him $24m/yr is a much better deal than paying Waddle $28/yr. I’m still skeptical about Nico (or any player handed a big contract after a statistical outlier performance during a contract year (yes, I know Nico had a 4th year on his rookie deal)) that they may get content with their bag and not play up to their maximum. At least he’s young enough to still be motivated to play for his next bag in 2028, hopefully.

Nico was the same receiver before and after Dell got hurt.

50-800-5 10.96 YPT with Dell in 10 games.

30-497-3 13.81 YPT after Dell got hurt in 5 games.

He missed one game during both pre/post Dell injury.

I agree that is a lot of money on a WR that has had 1 really good season, compared to Waddle who has had 3 really good seasons, but you need a QB and Miami has had one for all 3 years of Waddle's career, the Texans found one in year 3 for Nico. Plus, Nico came from Michigan and their run-centric offense, while Waddle came from Sarkisian's pro-spread offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:52 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

I get what you're saying but, respectfully, this is a lazy take. 

Let's remember that after Tank went down, we had other injuries at WR. Late in the year Nico was the only real WR threat and he still delivered. In the win against Denver he had 9-191 with a TD and the next highest WR total was Metchie with one catch for 9 yards. In the win vs. Indy to make the playoffs, he had 9-195 with a TD, the next highest WR was Xavier Hutchinson, 1 catch for 6 yards. To be the sole WR focus and defenses still not stopping him is a great sign. 

Clearly this extension had the blessings of Demeco and CJ, who are two people right now we should put a lot of trust in for this team. 

Some nice quotes in this recent article. https://www.bigsargemedia.com/2024/06/exclusive-texans-nico-collins-desire-to.html  The dude loves to play football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Didn’t know where to put this since we don’t have a Houston sports talk thread in the Daily Texan.

Huge loss. My morning and midday is locked in on 610 listening to Payne & Pendergast and In the Loop. He had great chemistry with the OG. Hate the change to my morning routine. Hope they don’t replace Landry with someone boring like Shaun Bijani.

Edited by Macklemore

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Didn’t know where to put this since we don’t have a Houston sports talk thread in the Daily Texan.

Huge loss. My morning and midday is locked in on 610 listening to Payne & Pendergast and In the Loop. He had great chemistry with the OG. Hate the change to my morning routine. Hope they don’t replace Landry with someone boring like Shaun Bijani.

I like the guy on 790 after the morning show. Though nothing beats XM 84 during college football season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I like the guy on 790 after the morning show. Though nothing beats XM 84 during college football season.

Used to listen 790 regularly, stopped a while ago. Don’t like Salisbury and Matt Thomas can’t carry a show by himself. Wexler and Clanton are hometown guys and like both of them. This just sucks. 610 had the best lineup in Houston sports talk history with the past 5 years.

Edited by Macklemore

The Nico production argument is stupid and simple.  He didn’t have anyone to get him the ball, now he has the dude and it showed last year.  He’s a legit WR that was on a shitty team (think Andre).  You could have trotted out Moss and TO in their prime for the 2 years pre-CJ and they would have done fuck all.

PS, CJ is awesome:

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...