2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

I never bothered to learn about the new kickoff rules. It’s weird but I think I like it. It beats watching the ref set the ball down on the 25. Some creative coordinator is going to teach a LB or safety how to kick the ball 35 yards consistently thus having  an extra defender. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I never bothered to learn about the new kickoff rules. It’s weird but I think I like it. It beats watching the ref set the ball down on the 25. Some creative coordinator is going to teach a LB or safety how to kick the ball 35 yards consistently thus having  an extra defender. 

Special teams coordinators don’t teach how to kick. They just cross their fingers on that. 

I kind of like it. 

and goddamn, I love DeMeco!! He’s the perfect coach for this organization and I think he is going to be here for as long as he wants to. I’m so excited for this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like your takes ctj. How about some constructive criticism here instead of some dismissive smart ass comment. 

Looks like it encourages returns vs touchbacks/fair catches and discourages full speed head on collisions.

Overly complex like every NFL rule, but a good outcome.

How about that?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Texans should have been all over that deal. Maybe they are saving their bullets for Simmons. 

At this point they might just be keeping space available to maintain flexibility so they can address potential injury clusters  

5 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

790 this am said he walked to the tent with swelling, then they carted him off as a precaution. Cart didn’t have to come out to the field to get him so that sounds worse than it was….I hope.

• Hook 'Em 1

Between Howard and Tunsil there’s a lot of $$ tied up in a couple of dude who seem to increasingly have injury issues. Think using that 2nd rounder on a OT last year might end up being a great decision. Hopefully they’re both good to go in the regular season, but good to have a backup plan beyond Charlie Heck…

Random note: I'm happy to admit that I was wrong for being a bit down on the Lassiter pick. Apparently he's going to be a good outside corner sooner rather than later/never

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:35 PM, HtownHorn said:

We really need the ND OT to be the future, because just can't rely on Tunsil/Howard being healthy for a full season.

They really haven’t been as injury prone as I thought. Each have had one season where a majority of games were missed. Other than that, they have only missed a couple of games per season due to injury. 

Hunter looked awesome

Diggs is in over Dell on 12 personnel 

Pitre playing nickel allows the run defense to be more solid when they're sitting back in two safety shell, and also allows him to blitz (his best skill) with less of a telegraph than when he was playing safety. You don't want him covering someone on a slot fade, but they'll probably have him passing off deep routes 

Texans vs Packers Super Bowl, imo 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I think Dameon Pierce is done. Akers and the rookie Jawahr Jordan looked a lot better than him. His not reading his blocks or hitting the hole with speed and determination.

He's a good power scheme runner, and a terrible zone runner. If Mixon is healthy, they should trade Pierce 

• Hook 'Em 1