Chendall Weaver

shadow_operative

Avoiding all the negativity going on right now with the program, its coaches and its players, wanted to take a moment to sing more praise for this kid.

At season's start, he was all energy and athleticism but also often out of control. The more PT he got, however, the more improvement he demonstrated. It's no understatement to say Chendall was the Longhorns' most impactful player during the postseason.

Still needs to work on his shot and handle, but I'm confident he will given his in-season growth. Looking forward to it and also looking forward to him making millions in the NBA.

Keep working!

• Hook 'Em 3

• 4 months later...

Totally not worried about Chendall's strength, explosiveness or athleticism in general. Dude is gifted in that sense.

If I were his coach, I'd be saying, "Just shoot and dribble, man. All day, all night. Don't let that ball leave your hands unless you're passing or shooting."

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Totally not worried about Chendall's strength, explosiveness or athleticism in general. Dude is gifted in that sense.

If I were his coach, I'd be saying, "Just shoot and dribble, man. All day, all night. Don't let that ball leave your hands unless you're passing or shooting."

Read or heard about an NBA scout saying that Chendall might end up with a shot to make an NBA roster.  

Definitely pulling for CW 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

he’s already got pretty much everything needed except the shot, and his FT form and FT% suggests that he could develop a reliable shot at some point in his career. i wouldn’t be projecting him to the nba just yet, but it’s definitely feasible.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Derka said:

he’s already got pretty much everything needed except the shot, and his FT form and FT% suggests that he could develop a reliable shot at some point in his career. i wouldn’t be projecting him to the nba just yet, but it’s definitely feasible.

And he actually shot 40%  from beyond the arc his first season at UTA on twice the volume. As hard as this dude works, I wouldn't bet against him developing a package of skills that warrant a look in the league. His athleticism would probably rank top 10% in the NBA right now. He's a freak. 

image.thumb.png.c6cd1c9cc614d99eb60416ed184f5c6f.png

16 hours ago, Derka said:

But will RT play him? 

I really like Chendall Weaver. I view him as a poor man's Russell Westbrook. He is a perfect spark plug off the bench and can really attack the rim from the perimeter.  I have no doubt that his 3P% will improve as he gains comfort at this level of competition.

The stats don't really show what an impact player he is.  He by far led the team in offensive rebounds during conference, even over guys like Dillon Mitchell. And he only had 7 turnovers across 18 conference games.

It is criminal that he was losing time to Ithiel Horton. I dare say we would have won 2-3 more games, and moved up to a 5-6 seed if he had gotten more minutes.  These games stand out:

• K-State - Lost by 4. Weaver got 11 min while Horton played 32!
  • Baylor - Lost by 8 (giving up a huge lead). Weaver got 13 min. Horton got 27.
  • UCF - Lost by 6. Weaver got 4 minutes vs. Horton's 35. And they killed us with their energy and on the glass.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:
  • UCF - Lost by 6. Weaver got 4 minutes vs. Horton's 35. And they killed us with their energy and on the glass.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91km5mcl3vee6u6xyp7k

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 hours ago, HookEm said:

I really like Chendall Weaver. I view him as a poor man's Russell Westbrook. He is a perfect spark plug off the bench and can really attack the rim from the perimeter.  I have no doubt that his 3P% will improve as he gains comfort at this level of competition.

The stats don't really show what an impact player he is.  He by far led the team in offensive rebounds during conference, even over guys like Dillon Mitchell. And he only had 7 turnovers across 18 conference games.

It is criminal that he was losing time to Ithiel Horton. I dare say we would have won 2-3 more games, and moved up to a 5-6 seed if he had gotten more minutes.  These games stand out:

RT definitely took longer than I'd ilke to give Weaver the minutes he earned and continued to lean on a dud (Horton) with hopes that his one or two high scoring games were the norm rather than the exception.  Weaver was a major contributor even when he was not scoring points.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, VinyVango said:

RT definitely took longer than I'd ilke to give Weaver the minutes he earned and continued to lean on a dud (Horton) with hopes that his one or two high scoring games were the norm rather than the exception.  Weaver was a major contributor even when he was not scoring points.

RT was still under the impression there was something to unlock in our offense. Took him a while to realize this team wasn’t going to outshoot anyone. 

Horton was the definition of a journeyman. He played for four different schools in his college career and he was inefficient at every stop, averaging only 38% FG over his last two years.  But last year for us he was even worse, and even his free throws dropped off.  When someone goes from 87% FT down to 71%, I attribute a lot of it to conditioning, especially when they are expected to play defense at a higher level.  And Horton looked fat and out of shape, even in the 20 minutes per game.  His defense was generally abysmal. 

Then you have Weaver who is in better shape than 99% of players on the court. Running around tipping balls, getting steals, etc. And even though it SEEMED like he was playing recklessly due to his raw speed, he didn't turn the ball over much.

I like RT and have been a supporter, but managing these two dudes was definitely a red mark on his time as head coach here.

• Hook 'Em 4