2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You're also someone who would be acutely impacted by a Trump administration.  Most independents don't fall into that category... so aren't as motivated to vote for one or the other.  That's a big disconnect in many people's brains here and within the Democratic party.

The Dems need independent voters if they are to win.

Sure, if you don’t know a single woman who may want to have a child one day. 

1 minute ago, linux said:

Nobody knows there are a a significant chunk of democrat voters that are policy wonks, they would say he has not earned it, get angry that they got passed over for promotion and stay home.

If anything I am apocalyptic at the people that think it is this easy. It is a trillion dollar industry and we are monday morning quaterbacking.

Almost like there should have at least been a gameplan in place if Biden's decline accelerated?

• Hook 'Em 4

See the dude that said his friends think Gavin (the closest to an anti biden candidate) is too slimy, this is it folks we are destined to lose because each one of us would rather go high than go low, be right than win.

Quote from what Doggett said,

We have to be honest with ourselves that it wasn’t just a horrible night, but I won’t go beyond that out of my respect and understanding of President Joe Biden, a very proud person who has served us extraordinarily well for 50 years,” he added.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Huh?  

Worst case scenario for Biden is a loss, which equals Trump's best case scenario.

I mean the scenarios after the election. Worst case scenario under a Biden second term is that he dies or goes full catatonic and his competent staff and VP continue the work. Best case scenario under a trump second term is that he golfs all day, does nothing, and we become a bigger laughing stock in the world stage, keeping in mind that it is far more likely that he’ll follow through with the worst of his proposals including appointing the worst people to the cabinet.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

Almost like there should have at least been a gameplan in place if Biden's decline accelerated?

I have only one rule, no time machines build one please and save us. Otherwise what is the point? I only care moving forward if Biden calls it quits and the result is a disaster I will not be wasting a second arguing hey guys should have listened to me!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

I mean the scenarios after the election. Worst case scenario for a Biden second term is that he dies or goes full catatonic and his staff and VP do the work. Best case scenario under a trump second term is that he golfs all day, does nothing, and we become a bigger laughing stock in the world stage, keeping in mind that it is far more likely that he’ll follow through with the worst of his proposals.

Understood.  It's so depressing.  At this stage I'm thinking a junta by Biden's generals if he loses would be to everyone's advantage. 

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Sure, if you don’t know a single woman who may want to have a child one day. 

Lol, ever heard of menopause?  Not all women are of childbearing age, IE care about abortion, and most who care enough to vote primarily on that issue are probably Democrats, not independents.

8 minutes ago, linux said:

See the dude that said his friends think Gavin (the closest to an anti biden candidate) is too slimy, this is it folks we are destined to lose because each one of us would rather go high than go low, be right than win.

869f4915-f391-4981-8398-000a2dc3f4f4_tex

24 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I have more than a few friends who have openly stated they won't vote for either Biden or Trump.  But they've also said they would vote if the Dems nominated someone else... not named Newsome (comes off slimy) or Harris.

Same. That debate performance changed the deal for them. There's no coming back from that now for a whole bunch of people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

It feels, within reason, that most seem to believe we're near 50/50 in this election, maybe 49/51 in favor of whatever mood you are in that day. Regardless, it's tight.

If you substituted Biden with Newsome, Whitmer, Pete, or Kamala (I'm leaving out people with 0 experience in governing even though I'd love to see what Obama could do) - do you believe the election would move even more favorably for Trump? I have a hard time believing that.

• You're making a last second switch of candidate and essentially circumventing the primary process and hitting a reset button - really bad.
  • You take away the primary rallying cry for Trump - great.
  • You swing those undecideds, especially in the youth polling, that can't relate to either - great.
  • You motivate the currently unmotivated on the left to come out and vote - great.
  • You show your party is capable of making a hard ass decision that could backfire greatly because you're doing what's best for the country, you gain the moral high ground - tbd because I'm not totally convinced that's actually worth anything.

It's a scary ass decision but I can definitely see the argument for it.

LBJ quit the race on March 31, 1968. The Democrats that weren't dying were at each others throat the rest of the way to the election. This let Richard Nixon, who had a long reputation as a shameless, opportunistic piece of shit, define himself as the law-and-order candidate and cruise to the win. 

The only way that Biden isn't the Democratic Party nominee is if he's dead.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

869f4915-f391-4981-8398-000a2dc3f4f4_tex

But they've also said they would vote if the Dems nominated someone else... not named Newsome (comes off slimy) or Harris.

You said it, why are you trolling?

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

LBJ quit the race on March 31, 1968. The Democrats that weren't dying were at each others throat the rest of the way to the election. This let Richard Nixon, who had a long reputation as a shameless, opportunistic piece of shit, define himself as the law-and-order candidate and cruise to the win. 

It's the best worst option.

It's also why he should have never been the nominee in 2020. 

Now we're stuck.

On 7/1/2024 at 11:25 AM, YGIFS said:

To all my fellow Hispanics out there.  To all the women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, the recently immigrated from Asia, and to all the marginalized communities who vote for Trump or don't vote at all.....I want you to know---you have agency, you deserve respect and have rights.  And the last thing you'll ever see will be my hand waving at you as you are sent off for re-education or deportation.  I won't even have a moment to say "I told you so" because I'll busied pushing your children onto the bus.  

This is how we've always done it.  Before we head off to make trouble, we liquidate our "lesser" citizens within our own borders, even if they supported the ruling party.  It's a demonstrative loyalty process.  And it works every time.  If you a woman or minority, and don't get out to vote against Trump, know that you a part of a pattern of history.  You really won't like what happens next.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA wut?!?

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Exactly history proves us otherwise, this is exactly what Donald Trump wants, see him being quiet. 

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The King/Queenmaker has spoken.

Here we go again with the Democrat "next in line" fuckery.

And people wonder why a lot of us hate the Democratic party.  They just can't stop stepping on their own dicks.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Lol, ever heard of menopause?  Not all women are of childbearing age, IE care about abortion, and most who care enough to vote primarily on that issue are probably Democrats, not independents.

what's happening here in texas and most other red states has nothing to do with abortion.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The great middle doesn't see the existential threat that Trump is. They want lower taxes, cheap prices on the goods they buy, to go to work and raise their kids. They don't pay attention to this at the same level or passion as people on the left and right. 

38 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is it really hard to fathom that someone doesn't want a brain mush candidate as much as they don't want the orange Cheetoh? 

A lot of people haven't made the connection that this is fascism vs democracy on the ballot because they aren't tuned in. 

Massive failure on the part of the Dems not to have kept the fascism vs democracy angle on the front burner for all of 2024. You obviously can't do it for four years because most people don't want to think about it all the time. But they have to be able to speak persuasively to voters in the next four months. I'm not sure any Democrat can win if they don't.

• Like 1

Now we're stuck.

I’ve heard a lot of bad things about you regarding cloak room stuff, but you seem to be pretty logical regarding this.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, linux said:

You said it, why are you trolling?

I understood you were talking about my post, but then you went on some non-sequitur, non-English language tangent.  I have no idea what your point was.

What the fuck does this mean?

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

this is it folks we are destined to lose because each one of us would rather go high than go low, be right than win.

I quoted from my post, but obviously these were your words.

Edited by DixonHur

Just now, DixonHur said:

Here we go again with the Democrat "next in line" fuckery.

And people wonder why a lot of us hate the Democratic party.  They just can't stop stepping on their own dicks.

James Clyburn is one of the most powerful Democrats in the country. Which aspiring politician is going to cross him?

Hell, the GOP is in thrall to Donald Trump because of power and power alone.

11 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Same. That debate performance changed the deal for them. There's no coming back from that now for a whole bunch of people. 

Same. I’m not even sure I’ve still got family members in the Biden boat. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

James Clyburn is one of the most powerful Democrats in the country. Which aspiring politician is going to cross him?

That's my point.  These folks can't get out of there own way.  He needs to recognize the reality and not just try to promote the next in line.  This was a dangerously stupid tweet.

Just now, DixonHur said:

I understood you were talking about my post, but then you went on some non-sequitur, non-English language tangent.  I have no idea what your point was.

What the fuck does this mean?

Fine let me explain, the absolute gist of it is that we all think there is a better candidate than Biden, hell I think I am better than him and people loathe me online. But at the end of the day we need to have some humility there is no perfect candidate there is no one that can come down and win by 15% as some naively think. I blame Biden for so many damn things, but history is so dire for a switch so late, it is the only path and I mean only path I see for a Nixon style blowout aka 100% guaranteed loss. I still think that Biden can fall asleep every single day and we stand a better shot with that than a brokered convention.

uh oh, your zipper is showing

Ok, I’ve had a pretty good first experience in the cloak room, with everything except you, even those of different views than I. You now have the honor of being first on my ignore list.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is it really hard to fathom that someone doesn't want a brain mush candidate as much as they don't want the orange Cheetoh? 

A lot of people haven't made the connection that this is fascism vs democracy on the ballot because they aren't tuned in. 

Trump is also a brain mushed candidate, he’s just the more dangerous one imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, linux said:

I have only one rule, no time machines build one please and save us. Otherwise what is the point? I only care moving forward if Biden calls it quits and the result is a disaster I will not be wasting a second arguing hey guys should have listened to me!

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Ok, I’ve had a pretty good first experience in the cloak room, with everything except you, even those of different views than I. You now have the honor of being first on my ignore list.

You'll learn soon enough the definition of nemesis. 

Or certainly the plural of nemesis.

Or certainly the plural of nemesis.

I usually don’t venture too far out with hot takes or things I don’t understand.

2 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

It's a righteous infliction of retribution, manifested by an appropriate agent.  Personified in this case by a horrible cunt, me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, linux said:

but history is so dire for a switch so late, it is the only path and I mean only path I see for a Nixon style blowout aka 100% guaranteed loss.

Ok, understood, but this is where we disagree.

It only happened once before, and I'd advise you to see how HH was nominated before comparing the situations.  As a hint, when his nomination was announced, the crowd in attendance at the Democratic National Convention broke out in chants of "No, No, No"

This year would only be similar if the Dems nominated someone equally as unpopular to run in Biden's place.

Edited by DixonHur

It's a righteous infliction of retribution, manifested by an appropriate agent.  Personified in this case by a horrible cunt, me.

Haha, my old man was a lawyer in Central Texas, some of ya’ll probably even knew him.

Just now, DixonHur said:

Ok, understood, but this is where we disagree.

It only happened once before, and I'd advise you to see how HH was nominated before comparing the situations.

This year would only be similar if the Dems nominated someone equally as unpopular to run in Biden's place.

I mean you hated on democrats (correctly) about "its my turn!", and you honestly don't think that the nominee will not be unpopular?

People will hate JUST because they are not his/her candidate, and that is even before we even enter the big tent disaster, the Dem party is a bigger tent than in the 60s

21 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Now we're stuck.

More Dems calling for it.

IMG_6090.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw one from June 30, saying 72 percent of Americans don’t believe Biden had the mental capacity to function as president and 49 percent believe Trump doesn’t, this is where we are at, two candidates with serious doubt of cognitive ability.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well let's hope this goes well.

Hoppefully the interview is between 10am and 4pm.

Also, it's pretty strategic to schedule it on Friday just in case it's a disaster.

This is so goddamn depressing. Is there any path forward to beat Dotard? I don’t see one with Biden. I felt differently before that performance and was hopeful the truly awful nature of Dotard, coupled with the power of the incumbency, would prevail. You don’t have to be a geriatrician to recognize that wasn’t cold symptoms on display and it’s only going to get worse. It should not have been difficult, at all, to expose that lying piece of shit.