2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also to be fair, she's simply not good at politics.

a wet fart would be good at politics compared to trump. let's put out the fire in the room and then we can talk about the causes

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

well, they're going to try at least.  this is the only way forward.

Yep. Keeping his appearances minimal him and trying to run out the clock won't work anymore. If he's the guy, gotta at least try to build momentum. On the plus side, he set his already low bar all the way on the floor. A couple just non-disastrous showings would go a long way towards altering the narrative.

Just not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beat?  I'm not sure.  Stop?  Yes.

Would using Seal Team 6 to give Trump and his allies the Bin Laden treatment at Mar-A-Lago in an effort to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" count as an official act under the guidelines from the recent SCOTUS ruling?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

Would using Seal Team 6 to give Trump and his allies the Bin Laden treatment at Mar-A-Lago in an effort to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" count as an official act under the guidelines from the recent SCOTUS ruling?

It can't get any more official than that. I mean, it's Seal Team 6 from the United States Navy.  It's not like using the Gambino family.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's just like the fucking Dems to destroy their own chances by bringing in doubt about Biden at the 11th hour.  The average American didn't even watch the debate.  Those that watched would've forgotten it by now if they wouldn't keep bring it the fuck up.  They talk about it more than the GQP.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It can't get any more official than that. I mean, it's Seal Team 6 from the United States Navy.  It's not like using the Gambino family.  

I suppose the only fly in the ointment is that 80% of the Seals are probably MAGA.

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It's just like the fucking Dems to destroy their own chances by bringing in doubt about Biden at the 11th hour.  The average American didn't even watch the debate.  Those that watched would've forgotten it by now if they wouldn't keep bring it the fuck up.  They talk about it more than the GQP.

Yup. All republicans back their guy. Today a dem politician calls for their candidate to step down. Pure insanity.

• Hook 'Em 1

Under the scenario where Biden is pressured to step down'

If Kamala is the nominee, she would lose because a large portion of the population are racist and/or misogynist. Wish it wasn't true, but it is. 

Of course the black vote would balk at replacing Kamala with Newsome. 

So fucked either way

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup. All republicans back their guy. Today a dem politician calls for their candidate to step down. Pure insanity.

All Republicans don’t back Trump. Multiple dem politicians have called for Biden to step down. Rightfully so. Regardless, how is this “pure insanity”?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This just isn't reality, man. Anecdotal, I know, but the last 5 days have been the only time in the past 4 years that friends have wanted to talk politics with me. I make it a point to not hang around people who would normally bring up politics in casual settings. The "oh shit, we're fucked" and "are these two really the best we can do" sentiments are in the mainstream consciousness now, and the apathy is palpable.

Yes, few people actually watched the debate, but it was so bad that everyone has heard about it.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

DWKw3sqUQAA3xkQ.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Because if Biden is the nominee he will get crushed. Plain and simple. He won in 2020 on 80,000 votes across four states. Not only will he lose all of those states this time around, but he will lose a lot more. It's just not happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The debate only solidified what many people already thought.  It was the straw that broke the camel's back for some.

Not sure why some people can't understand that the debate debacle didn't happen in a vacuum.  There were already rumblings, and Biden's only job in the debate was to disprove what people felt like they were seeing and hearing... instead he threw gasoline on the fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If Kamala is the nominee, she would lose because a large portion of the population are racist and/or misogynist. Wish it wasn't true, but it is. 

So fucked either way

It's amazing that people can't see this. "Kamala isn't owed anything!" Okay, grasshop her with a white guy and let's see how minority voters feel about it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

All Republicans don’t back Trump. Multiple dem politicians have called for Biden to step down. Rightfully so. Regardless, how is this “pure insanity”?  

Correct.

Multiple dems are calling for him to step down is because they know there is no chance at winning if he stays in.  
None.

Bringing almost anyone in helps their chances.

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So fucked either way

Whitmer/Booker ticket.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Yeah, the first conversation has to be with Kamala to convince her to say "Joe and I are stepping aside because we think that fresh faces" yada yada.  It has to be that she doesn't want to and its voluntary from her.

Frame it as she also hid how bad he was.  Offer her a SC spot or be president at Howard or something.

No one really likes her and she's bad at politics.

Look at this thread as to why Biden stepping aside would be fun for all, but dangerous for Dems/Democracy. A contested convention would be a live action version of a football game thread with the volume turned up to 11 and the stakes for fucking real. No telling how that shit would go. Contested conventions could be be unpredictable in the era when mass media was the evening newspaper, and now the news is old in 15 minutes, with the added bonus that anyone with a phone could be "reporting" news or simply trying to mislead. You might end up with someone way, way, way off the radar swooping in to take the nomination. It could be Stacey Abrams, Sherrod Brown, AOC, John Cena, Al Franken, or Jimmy Smits.

Folks who assume Gavin just strolls in and takes it are delusional.

It might be the best cable news TV week of all time. If this is the year we lose democracy, we might as well be entertained. What do you say, Joe? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's amazing that people can't see this. "Kamala isn't owed anything!" Okay, grasshop her with a white guy and let's see how minority voters feel about it. 

If black people vote for Trump or avoid voting altogether because Kamala is passed over, then that's their decision and they will have to live with the consequences.

White, straight, cis-gender men (and to a lesser extent women) who identify as independents, won't face the same adversity under Trump, so they are the constituency the Dems need to be concerned with brining into the fold.

These are just blunt facts.  It's too late for sugar coating and trying to force your will/ideals on the voting public.  

Whitmer is the best choice because she's not unattractive (shallow but true), popular in her state, and has a good track record of working across the aisle.   Obviously, she's a woman, but I don't think that hurts her as much as some others here seem to think it will.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This fucking sucks.  There is undeniable traction that the sitting POTUS (who is currently in a tight re-election race against a criminal egomaniac) is unfit for office, being amplified by prominent members of his own party.  POTUS is at least tacitly acknowledging it by scheduling an interview on a major network to air in 72 hours.  If Biden doesn’t come across sharp as fuck and flawlessly address why he came off so poorly last week, all fucking hell is going to break loose.  This would be cool if it were a Netflix drama.  But as reality?  This fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3

President at Howard?  littleracist.gif

I want a woman President for my daughters to look up to.  Call me whatever names make you feel better, but Kamala is not going to carry the top of a ticket.  She may assume office in 2026 if Biden dies, and I'm sure she'll continue a competent administration filled with capable problem-solvers.  But the facts remain.  Biden remains vulnerable.  Trump remains malignant.  2032 is the only glimmer of actual, effectual change in this country when lines are redrawn and demography shifts from that census.  2028 is a giant fucking question mark which will actually make this cycle look like a walk in the park.  But all that matters is getting through to November/January and taking back the House and keeping the Oval and Senate (or at least a tie).  SCOTUS ain't going anyway anytime soon.  Do whatever the fuck it takes.  And hopefully Trump dies somewhere in between 2024-2028.  Otherwise, everything goes lights out until 2032.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If it goes to convention, those chucklefucks needs to have the pick already made behind closed doors.  Everybody needs to be on the same page and united. Set that candidate up in their primary debates to shine the best possible light.  

But, they will fuck around and find out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I suppose the only fly in the ointment is that 80% of the Seals are probably MAGA.

I was driving in Liberty Hill this weekend and saw a State Trooper that had pulled someone over.  He went to the trunk of his SUV and inside was a case of some kind with stickers all over it.  One of them said "Try That In A Small Town". 

Yeah, I don't expect the cops to be on the side of democracy.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

President at Howard?  littleracist.gif

I want a woman President for my daughters to look up to.  Call me whatever names make you feel better, but Kamala is not going to carry the top of a ticket.  She may assume office in 2026 if Biden dies, and I'm sure she'll continue a competent administration filled with capable problem-solvers.  But the facts remain.  Biden remains vulnerable.  Trump remains malignant.  2032 is the only glimmer of actual, effectual change in this country when lines are redrawn and demography shifts from that census.  2028 is a giant fucking question mark which will actually make this cycle look like a walk in the park.  But all that matters is getting through to November/January and taking back the House and keeping the Oval and Senate (or at least a tie).  SCOTUS ain't going anyway anytime soon.  Do whatever the fuck it takes.  And hopefully Trump dies somewhere in between 2024-2028.  Otherwise, everything goes lights out until 2032.  

She went to Howard.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
3 hours ago, BrickTop said:

I’ve never posted here, and I’ll probably regret it but I think this is pretty much dead on, I don’t really follow the inner workings of politics all that clearly so I will make a few points, 1. I am really not a fan of Trump, I’d consider myself a moderate. 2. I watched Biden speak in the 2020 debates and he seemed very strong and in control. 3. No way in hell am I voting for Biden after that debate performance, I have seen senility and Alzheimer’s and maybe that’s not what Biden has but to be honest that version of the POTUS shown in that debate is actually somewhat terrifying. As it stands I’m voting for neither, and a lot of people I know feel the same, too much uncertainty with Biden, not voting for Trump, I think a lot of people are missing the amount of people who simply won’t vote for either. Yes, that debate absolutely changed a lot of minds, it was somewhat terrifying and caused a lot of uncertainty with a lot of people. I am not a political expert, just a working class blue collar guy , so forgive my somewhat simple take.

Democracy can survive an old man. There's guardrails for dementia. Democracy cannot survive whatever that baboon will attempt. There's no guardrails for him. Yesterday proved that.

If there are guardrails against dementia, they’re not working.  The dude everyone is talking about as clearly suffering from severe age-related decline IS THE SITTING POTUS. 

(Invite: I voted for Biden in 2020 and will likely vote for him again and fuck Donald Trump with all the fury of the Big Bang.)

48 minutes ago, Texaus said:

This is so goddamn depressing. Is there any path forward to beat Dotard? I don’t see one with Biden. I felt differently before that performance and was hopeful the truly awful nature of Dotard, coupled with the power of the incumbency, would prevail. You don’t have to be a geriatrician to recognize that wasn’t cold symptoms on display and it’s only going to get worse. It should not have been difficult, at all, to expose that lying piece of shit. 

I admit I waffle back and forth daily, if not more often than that on this. Biden definitely has a path. It’s a long time until November. What he kills the ABC interview on Friday and then also has a marked improvement in the next debate? People who hate Trump today will still hate Trump tomorrow, next week, next month, ad infinitum.

45 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

The plane has crashed into the goddamned mountain

No, the solid blue states are not up for grabs — yet. Not a chance. Have all the swing states swung to Trump? Maybe. But again, it’s a long way to the general election.

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yep. Keeping his appearances minimal him and trying to run out the clock won't work anymore. If he's the guy, gotta at least try to build momentum. On the plus side, he set his already low bar all the way on the floor. A couple just non-disastrous showings would go a long way towards altering the narrative.

Just not holding my breath.

Yes, if he shits the bed again on Friday then, yes, maybe some real momentum builds to replacing him on the ticket. I think he’ll probably come off very well Friday. But if he doesn’t, the decision needs to be made quickly.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

who is currently in a tight re-election race against a criminal egomaniac

Perhaps the problem is that too many people think this is actually true because they see a 1-point difference in the national polls.

He is NOT in a tight race.  Biden is losing badly in swing states he carried last time.  The fact that millions of Democrats in California, Texas, and New York support Biden means fuck all to the electoral math.

I don't think there is anyone on this board deluded enough to think Biden loses the popular vote.

• Hook 'Em 2

The message is clear from all sides in the media now and I agree that I don't see how Biden doesn't step aside (get pushed aside) in the next 2 weeks.  It's clear he can't make it until election without another "episode" putting the final nail in his own re-election chances.  The problem now is he's sinking other races and it's not just about losing the White House.  Party members are going to start focusing in on their own self interests and realize he can't continue as candidate.

I don't think anyone is willing to bet the farm on Biden in his current condition making it to election day without some kind of repeat performance (especially with media hyper focused on looking for it).  He could kill it for months and then falter in October destroying every piece of momentum created. Democrats just can't take that risk, they can't.  The talk is now not if, but when.

But we were told not to panic, all would be well, ride the power of the incumbent. Then it became obvious we were misled and Biden is not just old, but in a state of decline so advanced there is no possibility of him winning this election. To my eyes this is just the reality of the situation. It’s going to get worse, not better. It’s depressing. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The United States is dumb at governance.

I think that's also part of the problem.  

I'll admit to moments of "fuck it, burn this mother fucker to the ground".

So far, they've been brief and I come back to my senses, but I highly doubt I'm the only one feeling like that.

57 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

The plane has crashed into the goddamned mountain

If this was true, the race was already over before the debate. 

None of those pre-debate numbers look believable to me, at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If there are guardrails against dementia, they’re not working.  The dude everyone is talking about as clearly suffering from severe age-related decline IS THE SITTING POTUS. 

(Invite: I voted for Biden in 2020 and will likely vote for him again and fuck Donald Trump with all the fury of the Big Bang.)

There hasn’t been a need for guardrails with Biden. He has been running a great administration. Arguably, the best one in the last 50 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1