2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Another stupid hypothetical question. What was Joe supposed to say? That if he didn’t win it would mean the election was rigged? That he’d be in the depths of despair because it meant democracy was dead? That he wasn’t going to lose?

What if this happens? How would you respond?

How many questions took that form? It kind of seemed like George has his mind made up that Joe should drop out of the race and that informed all of his questions.

He's supposed to treat it like what would have happened if the allies would have lost to Hitler. Losing is not an option, and he has to win at any cost.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Something like “I still know I’m the man for the job…. but not enough other people do. And I won’t risk the future of this country blah blah blah…”

if you reflect back in my last four years, you can see how much we’ve accomplished.   I’m confident that I can accomplish even more the next four years.  However, I can see that I may not be the best candidate to win this election.  I will gladly step down if it is in the best interest of the country I love

Posted (edited)

Biden is the only one that can win 120 days until the election. This is quite literally the worst case scenario unfolding before our eyes. Too late to get a real contender who can beat Trump and not late enough that Biden cratered and has deteriorated in front of the electorates eyes 4 months too early.

It’s post July 4th of an election year- It’s no man’s land.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

if you reflect back in my last four years, you can see how much we’ve accomplished.   I’m confident that I can accomplish even more the next four years.  However, I can see that I may not be the best candidate to win this election.  I will gladly step down if it is in the best interest of the country I love

Be goodest.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Biden is the only one that can win 120 days until the election. This is quite literally the worst case scenario unfolding before our eyes. Too late to get a real contender who can beat Trump and not late enough that Biden cratered and has deteriorated in front of the electorates eyes 4 months too early.

It’s post July 4th of an election year- It’s no man’s land.

Yep. Biden gives us the best shot IMO.   

It isn't Kamala who was like 6th or 7th in the 2020 primary and couldn't make it to the first caucus.

It isn't Bernie who was second in the 2020 dem primary.  He is 82 years old and all the ageists have told us what that means.

It isn't Pete, Warren, or Klobuchar.   The Bernie Bros ditched Clinton and gave the white house to Trump because they felt cheated even though Bernie lost the popular vote as well as the electors. Imagine how they will react when the nominee actually lost the primary.   

It is ride or die with Joe.  Maybe we make a switch.  I'll support that person 100%.  But it will be like when Charlie Strong lost to Kansas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

It isn't Kamala who was like 6th or 7th in the 2020 primary and couldn't make it to the first caucus.

It isn't Bernie who was second in the 2020 dem primary.  He is 82 years old and all the ageists have told us what that means.

It isn't Pete, Warren, or Klobuchar.   The Bernie Bros ditched Clinton and gave the white house to Trump because they felt cheated even though Bernie lost the popular vote as well as the electors. Imagine how they will react when the nominee actually lost the primary.   

It is ride or die with Joe.  Maybe we make a switch.  I'll support that person 100%.  But it will be like when Charlie Strong lost to Kansas.  

I think by the end of next week, virtually every prominent democrat in the country (no former presidents) will be calling for Joe to drop out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I think by the end of next week, virtually every prominent democrat in the country (no former presidents) will be calling for Joe to drop out. 

You might be right, but that's exactly what Trump would like to see.  Joe is our best bet to minimize the probability Trump wins. 

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

You might be right, but that's exactly what Trump would like to see.  Joe is our best bet to minimize the probability Trump wins. 

We can't acknowledge the truth, because that's what Biden and the radical left Trump and the radical right wants.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I believed this after the debate.

I don't believe it anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

bs2.gif

Kamala Harris wouldn't be the best choice and I'm not sure she emerges from an open convention or mini-primary, but candidates are fit to moments and she's in the best position. Joe Biden dropped out in disgrace in 88, and didn't make it to the 2nd primary in 08, and his campaign in 2020 was on life support until Clyburn basically demanded that everybody grow the fuck up.  Warren is 8 years too late. Klobuchar isn't running. Pete is maybe viable. The Bernie bros voted for Clinton at a higher clip in 2016 than the Clinton primary voters supported Obama in 08 (that's true). BBs did NOT give the White House to Trump, Clinton did, by clearing the field behind the scenes (including Joe).

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

bs2.gif

Kamala Harris wouldn't be the best choice and I'm not sure she emerges from an open convention or mini-primary, but candidates are fit to moments and she's in the best position. Joe Biden dropped out in disgrace in 88, and didn't make it to the 2nd primary in 08, and his campaign in 2020 was on life support until Clyburn basically demanded that everybody grow the fuck up.  Warren is 8 years too late. Klobuchar isn't running. Pete is maybe viable. The Bernie bros voted for Clinton at a higher clip in 2016 than the Clinton primary voters supported Obama in 08 (that's true). BBs did NOT give the White House to Trump, Clinton did, by clearing the field behind the scenes (including Joe).

I know it would probably suck to hear all of that if you were a Bernie Bro.  

But it doesn't matter what you think about Kamala or Pete or whoever.  Joe is our candidate.  There isn't anything you can do about it.  

There was a process. We held a primary.  The people voted.  Joe won.  Then it was up to Joe whether he stays in.  He has said he is staying in.  That is that.  

Joe is the Democratic candidate to beat Trump.  Get with the program. Get on board.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mentally he is completely exhausted and cognitively we can all see the decline. He’s in his early 80’s and he should be resting comfortably in retirement. Instead he entered the 2020 race to make sure we got the worst president not named Andrew Jackson out of the White House. Mission accomplished there. Now that same psychopath is not only not in prison for trying to overthrow the government, but he is running again. 

Biden should be able to hand the baton off to Harris or another viable candidate, but right now that isn’t the reality of the situation. He does not want to leave and step down. I feel like part of it is he wants to keep TFG from returning, but also being the most powerful political person in the world is probably something he also does not want to relinquish yet. I will give him or his replacement my vote, but boy what a time to be alive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

888.jpg.50d01132ac648bb3c735ba0bf1f19bcb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

Are you serious? I'm a hard core free market capitalist, and about as far as someone who usually votes Democrat can be. But saying that Bernie Bros cost Hillary Clinton the election is nonsense. There are a lot of reasons why she lost, the biggest being the centrality of personal appeal as her campaign strategy plus a bunch of tactical shit. Move on. 

7 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

But it doesn't matter what you think about Kamala or Pete or whoever.  Joe is our candidate.  There isn't anything you can do about it. 

That's true. But I don't have to like it. and most Democrats apparently don't like it either, and they don't have to stay quiet simply because the truth is inconvenient. This isn't just bed wetting. Things are now different. 

10 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

There was a process. We held a primary.  The people voted.  Joe won.  Then it was up to Joe whether he stays in.  He has said he is staying in.  That is that.  

In the words of Donald Rumsfeld, Democracy is messy. 

10 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Joe is the Democratic candidate to beat Trump.  Get with the program. Get on board.

Joe Biden cannot win this election. The iceberg has been hit. It's lifeboat time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This situation was entirely predictable and was precisely my main concern with Biden in 2020… secondary concern was that his administration would do little to nothing to address the Trumpian fascist movement… 

The man only knows one thing and that’s running for reelection, he’s been doing it his entire adult life. Him stepping aside was always a fantasy pipe dream. 

If Trump wins, Joe Biden will easily go down as one of the worst presidents in US history, alongside Trump, that will be his and the Democratic party’s legacy. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Mentally he is completely exhausted and cognitively we can all see the decline. He’s in his early 80’s and he should be resting comfortably in retirement. Instead he entered the 2020 race to make sure we got the worst president not named Andrew Jackson out of the White House. Mission accomplished there. Now that same psychopath is not only not in prison for trying to overthrow the government, but he is running again. 

Biden should be able to hand the baton off to Harris or another viable candidate, but right now that isn’t the reality of the situation. He does not want to leave and step down. I feel like part of it is he wants to keep TFG from returning, but also being the most powerful political person in the world is probably something he also does not want to relinquish yet. I will give him or his replacement my vote, but boy what a time to be alive. 

Yeah. Definitely not the ideal situation.  But it is the one we have in front of us.  Trump is a dangerous mother fucker.  He would dismantle our government and democracy.  That is why every needs to quite the bickering and support the democratic candidate - even if that candidate changes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Yeah. Definitely not the ideal situation.  But it is the one we have in front of us.  Trump is a dangerous mother fucker.  He would dismantle our government and democracy.  That is why every needs to quite the bickering and support the democratic candidate - even if that candidate changes.

Agree with the last part - I have said repeatedly that I would vote for someone in a persistent vegetative state over Donald Trump.  That said, I can't say the same thing for the rest of America.  That's why we need a new nominee. 

BTW - On social media they are starting to call Democrats who insist everyone ignore Biden's obvious decline and shaky fitness for the job "Blue MAGA"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Real "old man from Chernobyl" vibes.

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

And that plays right into her and the Democrats hands because then the Republicans are standing in the way of a constitutionally mandated duty. 

Since when has that mattered?  Certainly not since Scalia kicked the bucket.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Something like “I still know I’m the man for the job…. but not enough other people do. And I won’t risk the future of this country blah blah blah…”

The goodest is if you gave this to him he would actually read out the ‘blah blah blah’ too.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
goodest : best
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

If 2020 was a regular election year where Biden would be seen in public more without COVID, I think he would have probably lost because he would’ve had more opportunities to say things to wreck the campaign. That seems to be happening now. 

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

bs2.gif

We didn’t start the fire.  

11 minutes ago, MrBig said:

If 2020 was a regular election year where Biden would be seen in public more without COVID, I think he would have probably lost because he would’ve had more opportunities to say things to wreck the campaign. That seems to be happening now. 

He was older in 2020, but not elderly. He would have been fine. He's aged about 20 years in the last four. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

If only we had known then what we know now. Do you honestly believe the result would’ve been the same? We were misled.  That should piss you off

Edited by Texaus
Was trying to reply to GW hayduke here

37 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Trump wins, Joe Biden will easily go down as one of the worst presidents in US history, alongside Trump, that will be his and the Democratic party’s legacy. 

He’s doing his goodest to Ginsberg his legacy.

Ya need to go Brandon.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Since when has that mattered?  Certainly not since Scalia kicked the bucket.

Not putting a Supreme Court nominee is one thing. Not allowing the selection of the person next in line to be President is different. People might actually give a shit about that and decide to punish the Republicans at the ballot box. 

12 minutes ago, Texaus said:

If only we had known then what we know now. Do you honestly believe the result would’ve been the same? We were misled.  That should piss you off

Biden's cognition is fine - no matter what a couple statements at a single debate when he had the cold shown over and over on ticktock/twitter tells you.  

His cognition is so fine that he was able to build and manage the best white house administration this country has seen in 50 years.  That is the metric of cognition that matters.  Everything else is just twitter BS.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Biden's cognition is fine - no matter what a couple statements at a single debate when he had the cold shown over and over on ticktock/twitter tells you.  

His cognition is so fine that he was able to build and manage the best white house administration this country has seen in 50 years.  That is the metric of cognition that matters.  Everything else is just twitter BS.

What is gaslighting, Alex. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

IMG_3197.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He's clearly not as sharp as he used to be. Because he's old. That's normal. 

Can he operate as president now? Sure. For the next four and a half years? I'm not sure how anyone can suggest that with a straight face. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Can he operate as president now? Sure. For the next four and a half years? I'm not sure how anyone can suggest that with a straight face. 

Sure- let me show you what the less engaged people who will decide this election are laughing about today

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not putting a Supreme Court nominee is one thing. Not allowing the selection of the person next in line to be President is different.

Optics wise you are right.  Knee capping the proper function of government wise, they are pretty similar.  The GQP paid no price for their fuckery back then and won't pay this time either.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Appoint a strong cabinet and get out of their way.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He just needs to make it past election night.

He has built a huge apparatus that will continue to run no matter what happens to him - no matter if Kamala takes over.  They will continue to appoint judges, help Ukraine, implement policies like drug reform and education, and depending what the legislative branch does - hopefully pass some legislation.   That will all continue if elected. If he loses - we get the dismantling of our government and democracy.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

He just needs to make it past election night.

He has built a huge apparatus that will continue to run no matter what happens to him - no matter if Kamala takes over.  They will continue to appoint judges, help Ukraine, implement policies like drug reform and education, and depending what the legislative branch does - hopefully pass some legislation.   That will all continue if elected. If he loses - we get the dismantling of our government and democracy.

But he has to win the election. That's looking less and less likely every day.

• Hook 'Em 4