2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

31 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Is the prevailing view among the magalitia that DEI is synonymous with a lack of qualifications?

Probably its most benign definition to them is "affirmative action."

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I thought they were just looking for someone not old?  

Old isn't just about chronological age.  

It's also time in the public eye.  I think a lot of independents are looking for someone with that new car smell. 

At least that's what I want and I doubt I'm unique in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Old isn't just about chronological age.  

It's also time in the public eye.  I think a lot of independents are looking for someone with that new car smell. 

At least that's what I want and I doubt I'm unique in that regard.

So what kind of non-political experience qualifies one to be potus?  Or do you want someone new to politics to be at the top?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Is the prevailing view among the magalitia that DEI is synonymous with a lack of qualifications?

They seem to be under the impression that unqualified white people never get accepted to college, hired, or promoted.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what kind of non-political experience qualifies one to be potus?  Or do you want someone new to politics to be at the top?

Not sure how you came to the conclusion I was talking about someone outside of politics.

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn, when Dick Cheney thinks a Republican is too evil to support they must be next level evil.

This is like Jackie Sherrill telling recruits to avoid aggy and choose Texas because aggy is too corrupt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just realized the next one gets to be potus for our 250th

Donald Trump is just the man to lead us through the debate over whether we call it the Semiquincentennial, the Bisesquincentennial, the Sestercentennial or the Quarter Millennial. There's nothing he does better than labels and precisely pronouncing complicated words.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Pancho said:

Just unbelievably and openly racist 

Absolutely racist, but considering the source it’s believable that it would be the Post printing that. They might as well rename themselves the Staten Island Daily.

They remind me of newspapers ran by William Randolph Hearst during WWII. He took a side and it was with Republicans. They would run articles about General MacArthur filled with even less truth than what we are reading now. I guess the point here is the print media didn’t just start with idiotic stuff like this in more modern times. It’s been there for decades and decades.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

"Dems in disarray" is right up there with "Trump lies" or "Trump is a horrible human being" in terms of being played out.  None of the aforementioned things should phase anyone at this point and won't move the needle no matter how many people/bots tweet it into the abyss.

Username checks out. 

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Maybe Dick Cheney can take Trump on a hunting trip.

"How can you shoot a fat, orange man in the face?"

"Easy. You just don't lead him so much."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, F250 said:

So much hand wringing going on here.

My prediction.

200.gif

Every time I see this thread title I hear Morbo yelling Doooooom

• Hook 'Em 1

The think tank behind the democratic party, those who actually make the decisions are, and have always been fucking idiots. The fact we are even in this situation pisses me off to no end. I am on the side of God damned idiots. This is their job, to strategize, for the present and for the future. Yet here we are. For decades their messaging has missed the mark while the republicans know EXACTLY how stupid/fearful the average human being is. The democrats play in LA LA land and now we may/will lose everything because of it. Maybe Ill just start to embrace my male whiteness and think, yea perhaps this is for the best. This is the best the human race can do. People refuse to critically think because thinking critically is scary. They would much rather be told what to do and get lost in their racism/fear of God bullshit. Or do nothing as they get poorer because they have no time to do anything but work. Im getting more and more pissed off by the day from all of it. Whatever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Brookings, far left as they are, has gotten more cooperative and less extreme lately.  Is it Center for America Progress?  Those folks have only come here to do two things, chug absinthe and hand over the election over back to Trump.  And it looks like they're out of Absinthe. 

This morning, I heard some politico mention that if Biden drops out of the race, Republicans would immediately file lawsuits in battleground states to block Democrats from putting anyone other than Biden on the ballot.

Is that even possible? And if so, how likely would it be to succeed? They'd only need to convince one or two swing states and then it's ballgame.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And who would that be?

Forget it Jim he’s rolling.

These are my favorite rants from the former pubs.

Newsflash: one party messages to a solitary race and intelligence level. It ain’t that hard. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get my 4 year old to use "best" instead of "goodest" for a couple of weeks now, and my 2 year old keeps eating the tips off of markers. So this presidential race is really starting to hit close to home.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

This morning, I heard some politico mention that if Biden drops out of the race, Republicans would immediately file lawsuits in battleground states to block Democrats from putting anyone other than Biden on the ballot.

Is that even possible? And if so, how likely would it be to succeed? They'd only need to convince one or two swing states and then it's ballgame.

They'll certainly try.  But there's lots of 'case' precedence.  Most recently when LBJ drops out in effectively April of 1968.  

If the change occurs before the convention, most state party language is pretty clear.  The party just has a placeholder spot on each state's ballot and fills it as they so desire.  There's plenty of instances in both parties, in the last 50+ years where the VP candidate was not revealed until the convention, or shortly before.  But certainly well after the deadline to file for the top candidate to be listed on most state's ballots.  Because it's the only two-person election in the United States federal mechanism, later this month the DNC couldn't just declare the Trump campaign can't be on certain state's ballots because he didn't reveal his VP running-mate until within 90 days of Election Day, or 60 days before registration deadline in most swing states.  So there's some questionable spacing in there, but parties have changed horses late in the race but this one is way more visible---to your point.  

There's three things to remember here:

1.  Doesn't matter what the Democratic ticket ends up being, even if legally valid (and I think that it is).  It is way to fucking late to be playing around.  This should have been sorted out months ago.  

2.  Registration is going to close in most states within just 90 days, some even less.  So it's not really 4 months to the election, it's more like three.  

3.  With likely no legal basis for removing a new candidate off a party ballot that already has "clearance" to appear on a state ballot.  Here's a "glitch in the system."  A few swing states controlled by GOP legislative houses and/or high courts.  They rule between now and registration deadline (Sep/Oct) that mail-in ballots, early voting rolls, absentee ballots should all be sent in early with a broader than ever window of opportunity in the name of Democracy and voter access.  You get a few hundred thousand people to vote via one of those three versions before the tickets are finally set by November (in case Biden resigns in Autumn)...that state turns around and says all those early/absentee/mailed ballots don't count.  tens of thousands in 7 seven crucial states go up in flames.  And Trump beats whoever the D's set as their 2-person ticket.  In a stroke of irony, they actually make voting easier and earlier so they can torch them when and if Biden makes the switch too late.  Perfect judicial and legal cover.  SCOTUS would affirm it, and I almost wouldn't blame 'em.  If only we'd had 3+ years to plan for this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

No. There hasn’t been a convention so there is no official nominee. The convention leaders simply have to change the bylaws stating how the nomination occurs and then nominate their ticket

I'm sure that would get immediately picked up by the Supreme Court, and they would rule within about 20 minutes that Biden has to be on the ballot, even if he dropped out before the convention. Or if he died. 

• Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm sure that would get immediately picked up by the Supreme Court, and they would rule within about 20 minutes that Biden has to be on the ballot, even if he dropped out before the convention. Or if he died. 

Don’t crosshimoffthen.gif