2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Yes. And Dallek. 

I certainly didn't get the impression that Caro was hating on LBJ's genius as a politician. In fact, I thought it was quite the opposite.

I will agree, however, that Caro is much more critical in his assessment of LBJ the man.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I certainly didn't get the impression that Caro was hating on LBJ's genius as a politician. In fact, I thought it was quite the opposite.

I will agree, however, that Caro is much more critical in his assessment of LBJ the man.

You’ll get no defense out of me of LBJ as a human being in daily life.

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They should all be forced to read Caro's biography of LBJ.

Of course he would have. He's in better shape than Donald Trump. 

Good chance he would have broken a hip

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And if you're someone who wasn't going to vote because you have zero faith in Biden but Trump and the right is just too radical? Now, "the left" is just as bad, just as violent, if not more so. The both sides heroes are going to milk the shit out of this.

How does a probably apolitical assassination attempt by an ill young man, who is a registered Republican, make the left violent and radical, or make Trump more tolerable to vote for?

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

How does a probably apolitical assassination attempt by an ill young man, who is a registered Republican, make the left violent and radical, or make Trump more tolerable to vote for?

People are dumb and lack critical thinking skills.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

image.jpeg.e27c4e2937955de9a10933a6984f6c40.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This kid wasn’t a nutjob… he knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.  I think it’s flippant to refer to him a just another crazy.  Something was wrong with him for sure, but insanity wasn’t it. The Trump movement is defined by its cruelty and intolerance. Something like this happening is not surprising given the environment this kid was probably immersed in over the past several years. It’s a sick world and that doesn’t excuse this guys bad behavior but he wasn’t crazy. JMO

Anyone who tries to assasinate a President or commit public gun violence is crazy. Your justifications are nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They’re lying. They love him. They’re embarrassed that they love him, but they love him.

The group he’s describing absolutely do not like him at all. 

I was trying to find information on Ewers apparently being MAGA and came across this:

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/sauce-gardner-epic-photo-donald-trump-shooting/636087

I think so many of these people coming out are cool tweeting this stuff out but registering to vote and finding out where to go on a Tuesday afternoon instead of staying at home to play video games and browse 4chan?  Don't see it.

29 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I was trying to find information on Ewers apparently being MAGA and came across this:

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/sauce-gardner-epic-photo-donald-trump-shooting/636087

I think so many of these people coming out are cool tweeting this stuff out but registering to vote and finding out where to go on a Tuesday afternoon instead of staying at home to play video games and browse 4chan?  Don't see it.

My favorite are the people who post excuses like "i don't like politics" or  "don't judge me just cause of my politics when their political position is that they don't like black people"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Anyone who tries to assasinate a President or commit public gun violence is crazy. Your justifications are nonsense. 

You’re an idiot.  Perfectly sane people commit violence all the time.  Being crazy and being evil are two completely different things.  

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because, and say it with me now, "Propaganda fucking works." 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

You’re an idiot.  Perfectly sane people commit violence all the time.  Being crazy and being evil are two completely different things.  

Perfectly sane people do not attempt to murder Presidents. This kid wasn’t evil. He was crazy. You’re the idiot. 

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

You know Trump's rhetoric and policies really make we worry about the next 4 years but then again Biden is old and Trump got shot at. I'll vote Trump!

If you were swayed by Trump almost dying to vote for him then you were always going to vote for him. 

That said, it's a long time until November. Say you're an independent who is leaning Trump after yesterday and you tune in to the Republican Convention, do you really think you're going to hear policy discussion and speeches that are going to validate your decision to go to Trump? If so, you were always going to vote for him. 

I'm starting to see people really flustered with all the talk of the violence and upset that we're in this moment.  If they bother to pay attention and are really upset about the violence, they will hear one party keep pushing violent rhetoric and one not.  Maybe they'll figure out the right way to vote based on that.  They are more likely to pay attention that the 20-year old was a loner with right-leaning sensibilities who went and bought a gun that the Democrats have asked to outlaw.  There's hope reasonable people will get off the fence.

The ones who are all "BiDEn dID It!?" were voting for Trump anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On CNBC this morning Luntz said the big moments like the debate and the assassination attempt haven’t really changed the polls because there aren’t many undecided voters. But he speculated that Trump could get a 1-2% bump in turnout. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasdago said:

It feels like his own words and whatever the speakers at the RNC say this week may eliminate his uptick in polls.  Gut feeling.  

It’s going to be unhinged and violent. They can’t help themselves 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It feels like his own words and whatever the speakers at the RNC say this week may eliminate his uptick in polls.  Gut feeling.  

False.  His base likes it.  The increase in polling isn't the problem here - it's the increase in turnout and enthusiasm.  He's getting it, and will keep it.

Just now, Js1 said:

True.  Because it is who they are.

And worse, it's what a majority of voters in key states want.  We have a country where a majority of voters - where it matters - WANT VIOLENCE, REVENGE, AND RETRIBUTION.  They want oppression and punishment of any and all who are not like them, do not fully join in their cult, etc.

Remember: it only gets worse, and there is no bottom.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Exactly and right now a lot of people are really fed up with violent talk.  So, that may be his undoing.  At the same time, it may fire up the worst of his base.  We'll see.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

False.  His base likes it.  The increase in polling isn't the problem here - it's the increase in turnout and enthusiasm.  He's getting it, and will keep it.

Yes, his based likes it but I know of someone on my street who has R leanings who now is like, "F it... I don't want to vote for either of them".  It may also drive D turnout.  I don't know.  Who knows anymore!?

Edited by texasdago

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, I knew that racist fuck wouldn't pick anyone but a white man.

Duh, it was Vance or Burgum.  Scott, Vivek, Rubio and Noem were delulu for thinking it was going to be them. 

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Today‘s episode of It Could Happen Here offers some useful perspective on the upcoming election and potential second Trump term. Tldr: don’t panic.

I listened to 10+ minutes then read the transcript. This guy is wrong and this episode was recorded prior to the assassination attempt and the dismissal of the documents case. There is every reason to think that the most heinous and evil shit is going to happen if he's re-elected. It was the same fear of re-election in 2020, imagine if trump had been president for another 4 years how much irreparable damage would have been done to the country or if there would even be a country left. He's a complete lunatic who rampantly abused the office of the presidency. We are well beyond theoretical victories and into tangible, planned and placed victories that are impossible to stop because the judicial branch is bought, paid for and placed by his lackeys. Congress is MAGA AF and obstructionist at best and completely unhinged at worst. The Biden Admin started the unfucking process, but it even looks like with another 4 years, more justices on the supreme court and some reversed decisions the damage for decades to come has already been done. 

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Dude is the luckiest person alive.  How is he not playing the Powerball every week? 

Chump Change. Why do that when you can have a publicly traded stock that skyrockets 60% and nets you billions.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yes, his based likes it but I know of someone on my street who has R leanings who now is like, "F it... I don't want to vote for either of them".  It may also drive D turnout.  I don't know.  Who knows anymore!?

my dad is a navy man, pentagon guy, defense industry all his life sort of figure.  if you asked him his favorite president, my best bet is you'd get something like eisenhower.  he told me he is a "none of the above" this year.  we don't ever talk about who we voted for because he's also very much a believer that that sort of stuff is intensely private.  but he knows how disgusted i am by trump co and so i think he tells me that because he wants to make sure i don't think negatively of him like i do of all other trump voters.  

i can't tell you whether he voted for him in the past.  i can say he definitely wouldn't have voted for hillary.  don't know about 2020.  but the point is, yeah, there are still some peeling off of voters that is happening on the right.  

17 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

my dad is a navy man, pentagon guy, defense industry all his life sort of figure.  if you asked him his favorite president, my best bet is you'd get something like eisenhower.  he told me he is a "none of the above" this year.  we don't ever talk about who we voted for because he's also very much a believer that that sort of stuff is intensely private.  but he knows how disgusted i am by trump co and so i think he tells me that because he wants to make sure i don't think negatively of him like i do of all other trump voters.  

i can't tell you whether he voted for him in the past.  i can say he definitely wouldn't have voted for hillary.  don't know about 2020.  but the point is, yeah, there are still some peeling off of voters that is happening on the right.  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And if you're someone who wasn't going to vote because you have zero faith in Biden but Trump and the right is just too radical? Now, "the left" is just as bad, just as violent, if not more so. The both sides heroes are going to milk the shit out of this.

Any chance at this point Biden doesn't make it to election day?