2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sure, I'm gonna lose sleep about a politician thinking their party is full of rubes and useful idiots, because that's strictly a Republican thing. 

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't then vote for that person. Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

A huge consequence of the shooting is that the conversation and pressure for him to step aside are effectively over (until his next major fuck up). 

It will be back after the Republican convention. 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Usually not from Republicans.

Have some pride that Vance thinks GOP voters are basically rubes, and you're sitting here like, "Oh, that's just politics."

It doesn't matter as long as they convince the rubes to vote Republican. But make no mistake - the Republican Party exists to protect the rich. That's it. Everything else is ancillary. They don't actually believe all that culture war bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It will be back after the Republican convention. 

They missed their perfect chance to do the switch during the Republican convention.  Biden could have resigned effective immediately tonight making Kamala the president.  That would have taken all the press from the Republican Convention.  Then, every night Kamala could have done a press conference about something for the next few nights taking more eyes away from the Republican convention.  The night Trump is speaking she could have announced she is legalizing weed nationally during Trump's speech. It could have been greatness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

I guess I'll read Hillbilly Elegy now, just to see what exactly this guys has in experiences or what informs this Vice President's beliefs. I think it should be more or less an honest fascimile, given it was published before he was famous and/or a politician, right? By all accounts this guy was a reasonable guy (e.g. despised Trump, intelligent by way of Yale/law and not being born into it) but sold out for selfish ambition?

Here's a link to his Atlantic piece I mentioned. If it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll copy/paste the full text.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They missed their perfect chance to do the switch during the Republican convention.  Biden could have resigned effective immediately tonight making Kamala the president.  That would have taken all the press from the Republican Convention.  Then, every night Kamala could have done a press conference about something for the next few nights taking more eyes away from the Republican convention.  The night Trump is speaking she could have announced she is legalizing weed nationally during Trump's speech. It could have been greatness. 

You wouldn’t give the Republicans the platform of the convention to campaign against your new candidate. You’d let them play their hand first then make your move. They’d scream bloody murder but it would be too late. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

If Trump wins, why would there be a peaceful transition of power in ‘29 when there wasn’t one in 21’?

Yes. Because it’s all about him. If Dems win (and i strongly suspect they will), Trump won’t care about result because he’ll be ineligible for further office.  I don’t buy the notion that he’ll institute some sort of takeover until he dies. I feel so strongly about this that I’m utterly unsure. Hope I’m right. 

Vance is dangerous in a unique way, not because he helps in the polls but because he is the distillation of undisciplined populist Trumpism into high-proof American authoritarianism. 

He has literally been groomed by our worst elites for this role; to cover unadulterated elite autocracy with a veneer of angry white American resentment. He reliably and readily sides with all of our nations’ worst enemies and wants to form common cause with them. He is devoid of any moral compass, and his prior criticism of Trump was only at a moment when he and his groomers believed Trump’s indiscipline served as a hindrance rather than a vehicle to further their own crystalline authoritarianism. 

He is young and he is being anointed as the successor to refine and develop DJT’s cult of personality into rigid and systematic juche for the next generations. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 4

55 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What the hell did I do?

Was coming here to post this myself.

So you're saying we're headed to civil war and tyrannical government overreach somewhere down the road but there will be an election in '28 and a peaceful transition of power in Jan '29? I hope you're right but ...

i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif

Well I hope. I think any civil war would be short lived (intra-term) and Trump’s old age gives me comfort it won’t last long. There’s nobody as charismatic AND crazy as he is in his family or his camp. JD Vance isn’t that guy. He’s an opportunist who is gonna blow his political wad on this dalliance with Trump anyway. 

If Crooks had been successful Saturday, I think it would’ve hastened civil war. But it also would’ve brought us together more quickly. SS incompetence almost hastened this whole thing. Unless the rhetoric calms the fuck down, which with Project ‘25 it won’t, we’re heading there. 

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Vance is dangerous in a unique way, not because he helps in the polls but because he is the distillation of undisciplined populist Trumpism into high-proof American authoritarianism. 

He has literally been groomed by our worst elites for this role; to cover unadulterated elite autocracy with a veneer of angry white American resentment. He reliably and readily sides with all of our nations’ worst enemies and wants to form common cause with them. He is devoid of any moral compass, and his prior criticism of Trump was only at a moment when he and his groomers believed Trump’s indiscipline served as a hindrance rather than a vehicle to further their own crystalline authoritarianism. 

He is young and he is being anointed as the successor to refine and develop DJT’s cult of personality into rigid and systematic juche for the next generations. 

...and he's really fucking goofy looking too!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

(Forget the fact the shooter Biden and the "Deep State" chose was booted from his HS rifle team for being such a terrible shot.)

That's actually perfectly on-brand for the DNC/Democratic Party.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Maybe not "peaceful" in the sense that the Republicans immediately acknowledge reality, ala the Conservative part in the UK earlier this month, but also not another January 6th.  I would think in that sense a "peaceful" transition happens in '29.

Trump would have served his two terms, spent that last four years making sure he wouldn't be dragged into court for whatever self enriching shenanigans he pulled, and can then continue grifting his base for as long as he stays alive.  He would quickly call whoever the Republicans nominated a weak loser that couldn't maintain what he built, and wash his hands of it.  He'd also spin that into being a consultant for the Republican party for the foreseeable future at a premium price, and his base would take the bait hook, line, and sinker.

It’s not just about Trump at this point. The Republican Party has been pretty open about their disinterest in accepting elections going forward. 
I also don’t see any reason that Trump gives a shit about the two terms and I imagine scotus can lie their way into any ruling they want at this point. 
If Trump said nah fuck all that, what mechanism is actually going to stop him? He committed a fucking coup last time and he’s running again. Our system doesn’t seem to be willing or able to do anything about someone just ignoring the law. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Vance as president would be a puppet for Peter Thiel. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I guess I'm not as convinced as many are of Trump being killed this past weekend touching off some sustaining civil war.    Would it have touched off stupid people running out and committing violence?  Absolutely yes but at the moment the government apparatus and military is still very much under Biden's control and I think stuff would be snuffed out.  So local violence but the mostly older and smaller demographics of MAGA isn't sustaining any "rebellion".  

What I think is a much more likely touch off of any sustaining conflict is if Trump becomes President and starts putting his boot down hardcore and the much younger, much larger segments of society begin to react....that's when shit gets real.  

• Like 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I guess I'm not as convinced as many are of Trump being killed this past weekend touching off some sustaining civil war.    Would it have touched off stupid people running out and committing violence?  Absolutely yes but at the moment the government apparatus and military is still very much under Biden's control and I think stuff would be snuffed out.  So local violence but the mostly older and smaller demographics of MAGA isn't sustaining any "rebellion".  

What I think is a much more likely touch off of any sustaining conflict is if Trump becomes President and starts putting his boot down hardcore and the much younger, much larger segments of society begin to react....that's when shit gets real.  

It would take 60s level civil unrest at a minimum and we are nowhere close to that. That's not to say it won't happen.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yeah, probably not a great treatment to the shape of our country that I totally agree with you that another Trump presidency brings us closer to civil war than a Trump assassination.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It doesn't matter as long as they convince the rubes to vote Republican. But make no mistake - the Republican Party exists to protect the rich. That's it. Everything else is ancillary. They don't actually believe all that culture war bullshit.

It's very clearly a haves vs have nots thing.  We all like to point out the constant racist bullshit they spew, but it's actually a big tent.  If you vote for us, we really don't give a fuck what you are.  Just tell us how you also hate librulllzzzzz.  Capitalism run amok.  

Also, it's why you see so many latinos in FL etc voting for Trump.  They all know exactly what it's about.  Not a huge secret, but still mind boggling how many they fool into voting against their own interests.  

• Hook 'Em 2

It is a bizarre statement but I'm strongly surprised she laid blame at the feet of the correct party.  She seems like the type that peel off the 20-30% Democrat vote in a place like WV or similar states/counties.  Saying what she needs to say so that she's not ostracized by her friends and family who are assumed predominately MAGA after having lost her husband.

8 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

It is a bizarre statement but I'm strongly surprised she laid blame at the feet of the correct party.  She seems like the type that peel off the 20-30% Democrat vote in a place like WV or similar states/counties.  Saying what she needs to say so that she's not ostracized by her friends and family who are assumed predominately MAGA after having lost her husband.

She laid the blame at the feet of the correct party but seems ok with Trump not even reaching out.  As usual, a lot of WTF with the people that carry rich R's water...

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

It is a bizarre statement but I'm strongly surprised she laid blame at the feet of the correct party.  She seems like the type that peel off the 20-30% Democrat vote in a place like WV or similar states/counties.  

I think you mean the people that Democrats stopped talking to or caring about politically after 2010.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Imagine the president of the United States calling you and you saying nah fuck that. 

In all fairness, I probably would have declined a call from Donald Trump while he was president.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine the president of the United States calling you and you saying nah fuck that. 

Possibly she is terrified of what those around her would say/do if they found out she had spoken to Biden.  Or she's just "standing by her man"

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

In all fairness, I probably would have declined a call from Donald Trump while he was president.

No you wouldn't have. You'd have at least told him to go fuck himself at a minimum. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Elon Musk commits to sending $45M/month to new Pro-Trump Super PAC

https://apple.news/AXhVGJiOUQjeduYv2MlKcgw

Elon Musk has said he plans to commit around $45 million a month to a new super political-action committee backing former President Donald Trump’s presidential run, according to people familiar with the matter.

Other backers of the group, called America PAC, include Palantir Technologies co-founder Joe Lonsdale, the Winklevoss twins, former U.S. ambassador to Canada Kelly Craft and her husband, Joe Craft, who is chief executive of coal producer Alliance Resource Partners. 

Formed in June, America PAC is focused on registering voters and persuading constituents to vote early and request mail-in ballots in swing states, according to one of the people. The coalition assessed that the Democrats have historically had very robust “get out the vote” campaigns and took note of the amounts of money that the Biden camp has dedicated to so-called on-the-ground efforts in swing states. America PAC will try to counter that.

Musk is currently the world’s richest person, with an estimated fortune exceeding $250 billion. The amount that he has said he plans to commit to America PAC is an extraordinary sum. 
While it can be difficult to trace the full scope of some political giving, the largest known donation of the 2024 election so far is $50 million given recently by the great-grandson of banker Thomas Mellon to a super PAC supporting Trump.

America PAC has hired hundreds of employees for its efforts, and has been registering voters, having conversations with constituents in swing states and urging voters to request mail-in ballots, some of the people familiar with the matter said. 

According to a filing made on Monday, America PAC had $8.75 million in contributions for the three-month period ending on June 30. Musk had indicated that he planned to start his donations in July, one of the people said.
In addition to Lonsdale, the Winklevosses and the Crafts, the filing listed a number of other donors to America PAC, including several with close connections to Musk.
Bloomberg News earlier said that Musk has donated to America PAC. The scale of his planned commitment hasn’t been reported.
Musk in March tweeted that he didn’t intend to donate to either Trump or President Biden’s campaigns. But the billionaire Tesla CEO has gotten closer to the former president in recent months. 

On Saturday, Musk formally endorsed Trump for president after a shooter attempted to assassinate the former president at a Pennsylvania rally. “I fully endorse President Trump and hope for his rapid recovery,” Musk said on X. In a subsequent post he said, “Last time America had a candidate this tough was Theodore Roosevelt.”

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's very clearly a haves vs have nots thing.  We all like to point out the constant racist bullshit they spew, but it's actually a big tent.  If you vote for us, we really don't give a fuck what you are.  Just tell us how you also hate librulllzzzzz.  Capitalism run amok.  

Also, it's why you see so many latinos in FL etc voting for Trump.  They all know exactly what it's about.  Not a huge secret, but still mind boggling how many they fool into voting against their own interests.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

Thats what I mean. And all because your husband was a “devout” republican. Imagine describing yourself as religious about a political party. Pretty good glimpse into the brain of the standard maga supporter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, t_eight said:

Has there been - in the last 50 years - a President or Vice President with a beard or facial hair?

Hell there hasn't been beards on Dodger players until recently