2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It doesn't look like there's going to be a replacement, so the party and campaign better pick one or two issues and get to work.

I'm very cynical, but I think it will still happen sometime before the DNC. Conceding the race to Trump by letting Biden stay in could create irreparable damage to the Democratic Party. 

If someone could articulate a real path for Biden, I'm listening. No one has done it yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm very cynical, but I think it will still happen sometime before the DNC. Conceding the race to Trump by letting Biden stay in could create irreparable damage to the Democratic Party. 

You misspelled Democracy

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If someone could articulate a real path for Biden, I'm listening. No one has done it yet. 

Has anyone articulated a real path for anyone else?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It may not matter. Private and public attempts whether halfhearted or not to get Biden to step aside have not worked.

The primary focus should be down ballot races and trying to control Congress. If The DNC has the virtual roll call Biden will be the nominee. 

“Some lawmakers are uneasy about the Democratic National Committee's plans to forge ahead with a virtual roll call vote to nominate Biden weeks before the Democratic convention.

"People are back to being angry at Biden and a push to sign on to this letter is going around ... the 'replace Biden' movement is back," a House Democrat told Axios.”

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I am with you that I am not seeing a path for Biden at this point.  Not all his fault either.  I mean if there are that many people in this country that not only want Trump again but want what the Republicans are pushing as their agenda there just isn't much hope at this point.  The media/right wing has done an amazing job of making half this country think immigrants are killing people all day long and Biden is doing nothing about it and that the economy is terrible when any other presidency would be touting the economic numbers and how good they are.  There are no facts anymore unfortunately. 

I personally would go with a Kamala/Whitmer all female ticket and see if women in this country will pull the lever even though their husbands think they are pulling it for Trump.   

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Dorothy Thompson’s essay “who goes Nazi” has been referenced here a lot.  Hello, JD Vance. 

image.thumb.png.02ed7048985d6bf6c827efd318600c46.png

Never read that before. incredible.

59 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This is the hard part for committed progressives and political junkies to understand:  Biden was never particularily popular, but represented a digestible alternative for low information swing voters to Trump's invective and boobish presidential term.  They could swallow his age then.  Increasingly, they can't now, and by staying the race and showing the candidate energy of a near corpse, he's letting the GOP slowly convince the same low information swing voters that maybe they can live with another Trump term, since they are clearly stating they don't think Biden is capable as either a candidate or a elected official.

good post. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Schiff told a big bunch of donors over the weekend (in the Hamptons) that Dems are turbofucked down ballot if Biden stays in. 

I fully acknowledge Schiff is a Pelosi bro

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Schiff told a big bunch of donors over the weekend (in the Hamptons) that Dems are turbofucked down ballot if Biden stays in. 

I fully acknowledge Schiff is a Pelosi bro

Which is ironic, since Nancy Pelosi is part of the reason we're in this mess in the first place.

Cool. If the fear of a national abortion ban won't do it, what will? A wildly unpopular female candidate? A white dude as her running mate? What will get women to vote for a Democrat at the top of the ticket?

Taylor Swift going hard in the paint. But I get why she won’t and it ain’t the money, it’s the crazies.

And yea I can’t believe as a society we have gotten to the point where something like that is the best option…but it probably is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I guess we need to define "real path".

I've laid out my thoughts on why a certain other candidate has the bona fides to win, but certain people on this board don't like the idea because she's not well known nationally.  Which is my mind is a good thing.  Especially when battling an adversary who has spent a lot of propaganda capital against the current top 3 choices (Biden, Harris, and Newsome).

IMHO, it would be much more difficult to attack a popular, white, midwestern., female governor of a swing state, surrounded by other swing states who sent her National Guard troops to the border under both Trump and Biden, and has worked hard to codify abortion rights in a purple state.

But at the end of the day, it's all a guessing game.

Just now, DixonHur said:

I guess we need to define "real path".

I've laid out my thoughts on why a certain other candidate has the bona fides to win, but certain people on this board don't like the idea because she's not well known nationally.  Which is my mind is a good thing.  Especially when battling an adversary who has spent a lot of propaganda capital against the current top 3 choices (Biden, Harris, and Newsome).

IMHO, it would be much more difficult to attack a popular, white, midwestern., female governor of a swing state, surrounded by other swing states who sent her National Guard troops to the border under both Trump and Biden, and has worked hard to codify abortion rights in a purple state.

But at the end of the day, it's all a guessing game.

Putting aside the technical difficulties of getting her at the top of the ticket, I think Big Gretch is keeping her powder dry from 2028 and hoping we still have elections then. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Cool. If the fear of a national abortion ban won't do it, what will? A wildly unpopular female candidate? A white dude as her running mate? What will get women to vote for a Democrat at the top of the ticket?

I think someone who can put their words together and stay up past 8 pm would be an improvement. 

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

hoping we still have elections then

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ugjoeomg1lm0yy0jgo

I'd rather use all the ammunition this time, and then have that person run again for reelection in 2028

Edited by DixonHur

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Putting aside the technical difficulties of getting her at the top of the ticket, I think Big Gretch is keeping her powder dry from 2028 and hoping we still have elections then. 

Stop. You know as well as anyone we'll have elections. The political industrial complex isn't going to give up that kind of money.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Stop. You know as well as anyone we'll have elections. The political industrial complex isn't going to give up that kind of money.

What is the political industrial complex?  That's a new one.

Isn't this all just wealthy people giving money in exchange for power?  They can have that in a dictatorship... see Russia.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

What is the political industrial complex?  That's a new one.

Isn't this all just wealthy people giving money in exchange for power?  They can have that in a dictatorship... see Russia.

Are you kidding? Do you have any idea how much money is involved in consulting, polling, campaigning, lobbying, legal work, etc.?

• Hook 'Em 1

Taylor Swift going hard in the paint. But I get why she won’t and it ain’t the money, it’s the crazies.

And yea I can’t believe as a society we have gotten to the point where something like that is the best option…but it probably is.

Dad bought her a bullet-proof SUV. She'll be fine.

Also these dumbfuck Dems in DC need to get their shit together and start saying "Promote Kamala" instead of "Joe's got to go" in all their off the record bullshit with the media or public written statements. Provide a SOLUTION - not another question - to the party officials and voters. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I'd be pretty happy with Kamala at the top of the ticket, but Pelosi, Schiff, et al have complete tin ears for politics and I don't put any stock in their beliefs about Biden's electability. But either way, all this loser shit leaking to the press about how doomed they all are with him at the top needs to fucking stop. If they think that's going to get Irish Grandpa Joe to see things their way, they're even dumber than I think they are.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you kidding? Do you have any idea how much money is involved in consulting, polling, campaigning, lobbying, legal work, etc.?

Yeah, and that'll all dry up very quickly if the GOP controls election machinery in enough states to effectively rig the next election. 

24 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The real path is only with Kamala. And saying "anyone else" feels really disingenuous as you know she is the only option with so little time remaining.

Nominating Kamala means: 

1. The Democratic Party is being proactive, instead of depending on reactive fantasies that Trump will bury himself somehow. A sign to all Americans that the party is truly concerned for the future of this country.

2. The age issue completely gets flipped. American voters will have their blinders removed and have the chance to see the age issues and mental decline and overall ridiculousness of Trump due to the stark contrast with Kamala. 

3. Reinvigorates party enthusiasm and fundraising. She can seamlessly run on the Biden administration platform.

4. Easier to convince and remind voters of the threats to women's rights when Kamala is the face of the campaign

5. Kamala getting nominated is the only chance to get Trump into another debate, and she has the ability to perform well. If Trump refused to debate her, it will hurt him with some voters. Frankly, I think he'd have to debate her. The optics would be terrible for him otherwise. 

EDIT: All of the above is also taking into consideration that if Biden dropped out, he would say shit like "This is a decision that I made with my family" blah blah blah. He wasn't forced out, that he realizes this is the best path to victory and best thing for our country. 

This makes a LOT of sense.  Throw in a Taylor Swift endorsement and it's the best path.  Which is why I have no faith this is the route the Democratic Party will take.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am with you that I am not seeing a path for Biden at this point.  Not all his fault either.  I mean if there are that many people in this country that not only want Trump again but want what the Republicans are pushing as their agenda there just isn't much hope at this point.  The media/right wing has done an amazing job of making half this country think immigrants are killing people all day long and Biden is doing nothing about it and that the economy is terrible when any other presidency would be touting the economic numbers and how good they are.  There are no facts anymore unfortunately. 

I personally would go with a Kamala/Whitmer all female ticket and see if women in this country will pull the lever even though their husbands think they are pulling it for Trump.   

It's a shame Biden and his campaign are too feeble to forcefully counter that immigration issue by ensuring everyone knows Trump killed legislation that was finally going to totally overhaul immigration and do a bunch of shit the Rs wanted. And that it's just one more example of Trump putting himself ahead of the country while also playing his voters for fools. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'd be pretty happy with Kamala at the top of the ticket, but Pelosi, Schiff, et al have complete tin ears for politics politics and I don't put any stock in their beliefs about Biden's electability. But either way, all this loser shit leaking to the press about how doomed they all are with him at the top needs to fucking stop. If they think that's going to get Irish Grandpa Joe to see things their way, they're even dumber than I think they are.

The loser shit is a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

She was born in the US.  But yeah, brown skin, funny name...she's an iMMiGRanT!!!

Maybe if Nick was more like Randy and paid closer attention to her bone structure, he'd realize that she's practically a direct descendent of Alexander the Great.

I am down with Biden or Harris at this point.  I think I've convinced myself that Harris doesn't lose voters, and probably gets some voters off the couch, but on both sides - on Dem/Indy/apathetic side because refreshing change, on the other side because racism/sexism.  But they need to unify fast.  

If I am a Dem superpac, I put out the following ad immediately after the republican convention (or hell, during).

Acknowledge the heinousness of the attempted assassination, and Show Biden's words, note him trying to contact the family of deceased (which Trump hasn't yet as far as I am concerned), then drop the hammer...

- Show a picture of Paul Pelosi followed by Trump's words

- Show Jan 6th followed by Trump's and Vance's words

- Show anything else where Trump and Vance have mocked harm or threatened harm coming to opponents

- cut every piece of violent rhetoric from the convention together at the end to note that nothing has changed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

She was born in the US.  But yeah, brown skin, funny name...she's an iMMiGRanT!!!

Immigration status means jackshit to these people.  Replacements are replacements, don'tcha know.  The irony of a guy named Fuentes spewing this shit is  . . .  something.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I may have my details wrong but Project 2025 wants to remove future citizenship to children of immigrants born in the United States. They're xenophobes, pure and simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1