2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I thought They had to nominate him early due to Michigan.

Also - Gen Z, who’s in their 20’s now, does not respond to polls and they are tired of the GOP. They might save our asses yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

It really feels like upside down world but it’s really to advance AI. Which many think will make it upside down world. 

“Driving the news: Venture capital billionaires Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz each will make donations to former President Trump's election effort, Axios has learned.

The "techno-optimists" Andreessen and Horowitz are following hot on the heels of Elon Musk's announcement that he would endorse Trump and form a PAC to aid his campaign.

Between the lines: Andreessen Horowitz, the VC firm the pair co-founded in 2009, said late last year that its partners would begin making donations to political candidates they saw as "advancing technology."

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/17/trump-andreessen-horowitz-tech-billionaires

I think the simulation is just making up its own shit. Sarah Conner warned our asses and we wouldn’t listen. Just waiting on some new start up to be called SkyNetU or some shit. It doesn’t help that the Director of SS is blaming a sloped roof. Further proof the simulation is malfunctioning. 

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Also - Gen Z, who’s in their 20’s now, does not respond to polls and they are tired of the GOP. They might save our asses yet.

Gen Z are the biggest fucking trolls. It's weird cuz they for the most part also can't be bought like boomers and Gen x with propaganda. They've been alive for the entire propaganda apparatus on the Internet thing. 

• Like 1

Ohio

I don't want to pin my hopes on the Tik-Tok generation. I feel black people will have to save our Republic yet again like they did in 2020. Caveat of if that doesn't happen, I really can't be mad. Biden doesn't really inspire the average voter to rush to the polls. The threat of Donald Trump should not be the only reason to motivate people to vote. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Yes it is because of Ohio. So it’s a stupid article bc we’ve known for months that this was the plan because Ohio GOP is being like this on purpose 

Just now, Nicole44 said:

It really feels like upside down world but it’s really to advance AI. Which many think will make it upside down world. 

“Driving the news: Venture capital billionaires Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz each will make donations to former President Trump's election effort, Axios has learned.

The "techno-optimists" Andreessen and Horowitz are following hot on the heels of Elon Musk's announcement that he would endorse Trump and form a PAC to aid his campaign.

Between the lines: Andreessen Horowitz, the VC firm the pair co-founded in 2009, said late last year that its partners would begin making donations to political candidates they saw as "advancing technology."

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/17/trump-andreessen-horowitz-tech-billionaires

I think the simulation is just making up its own shit. Sarah Conner warned our asses and we wouldn’t listen. Just waiting on some new start up to be called SkyNetU or some shit. It doesn’t help that the Director of SS is blaming a sloped roof. Further proof the simulation is malfunctioning. 

A lot of people don't realize that the economy is a sham. It's completely divorced from any and all supporting fundamentals and in order to keep the charade up they have to do all kinds of insane ponzi scheme shit. A lot of these "legendary" VCs have done nothing but find loser zombie companies with the promise of changing the entire economy and the way the world works. 

Uber is just centralized delivery and taxi service with a marketing budget that doesn't allow for hardly any profit and drives the bulk majority of its net revenue from junk and hidden fees. 

For every Uber there is 1000s of trash companies that did nothing but lose money to ultimately be acquired by someones pal at a big tech company to ultimately have a McKinsey alum look at it and decide that it's garbage and to unceremoniously end it as a program and sell off the husk if there was any IP they could package or any customers they could jettison off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Look at it this way. There is no other candidate out there who can genuinely forget that Donald Trump had an assassination attempt this election cycle. 

Biden will treat Donald Trump just like he did in 2020 because he thinks it's still 2020. We liked that result, we will like this result. 

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

JFC, the Dem Convention is going to have such a funereal atmosphere. 

I was the Texas v. TCU game in November 2016, which was Charlie Strong's last as head coach.  It's going to feel like that.

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I was the Texas v. TCU game in November 2016, which was Charlie Strong's last as head coach.  It's going to feel like that.

As much as everyone keeps talking about the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, it's going to look like a different Democratic Convention in Chicago: 1956, when they nominated Adlai Stevenson to get slaughtered by Eisenhower. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

LOL “successful”, “upper”.  No, guy. You’re fucking middle middle.  You ain’t shit and you have FAR more in common with the poors you hate than the people you want making the rules.  But I think I was wrong about you not being lucky.  Being blissfully ignorant is pretty lucky.

Middle middle seems pretty pretty good then. Thanks for clearing that up for me.  You’re too focused on the specifics.  Ive stated many times I’m affected in negligible amounts by either.  Associate with the dregs and can’t get rights if that makes you feel good inside, I’ll go another direction. 

I've become resigned that Trump is going to win unless something major changes, including Biden standing down. 

Trump's campaign has been smart in building coalition(s) while Biden is fighting to show that he isn't senile while more and more Dems are calling for him to step down. Dems may need to quietly prioritize retaining the Senate and fighting to take over the House. 

Trump has the potential to screw it up but I'm thinking that he will do a better job of staying on message than he did in 2020. He should also get a post convention bump plus assassination attempt sympathy which will do nothing but put pressure on the Dems to change something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've become resigned that Trump is going to win unless something major changes, including Biden standing down. 

Trump's campaign has been smart in building coalition(s) while Biden is fighting to show that he isn't senile while more and more Dems are calling for him to step down. Dems may need to quietly prioritize retaining the Senate and fighting to take over the House. 

Trump has the potential to screw it up but I'm thinking that he will do a better job of staying on message than he did in 2020. He should also get a post convention bump plus assassination attempt sympathy which will do nothing but put pressure on the Dems to change something. 

You haven't been paying attention this week have you? The RNC was a fucking disaster and they are being brazen about their extremism. The RFK Jr leak is a disaster. We are still in the early innings.

The only people who give a shit about Biden's mush brains are people who are clutching their pearls, no one is not voting for him because of his decline. The fact that it's identified as a driver for apathy so early in the campaign is also going to play to the campaigns strengths where they can get out the vote regardless of candidate. 

America does need a ton of reform to get out of this extremist doom loop we are currently in, but I don't think doubling down on extremism is the right way to go. Trump was starting to lean into the moderates with the Biden debate flub and that was the huge worry. Now it seems especially post-assassination attempt they are going to full send on the absolute most insane extremist positions which is going to have a fairly drastic negative impact on moderate turnout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Middle middle seems pretty pretty good then. Thanks for clearing that up for me.  You’re too focused on the specifics.  Ive stated many times I’m affected in negligible amounts by either.  Associate with the dregs and can’t get rights if that makes you feel good inside, I’ll go another direction. 

I think the problem is that you have indefensible positions that you consistently show your ass trying to defend because you are factually a stupid person. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Does feel like the GQP is starting to get a little cocky about their chances in November. They probably think they can announce any extreme viewpoint and they won’t lose. Maybe they’re right. But I’m cautiously optimistic the fascists will shoot themselves in the foot here soon 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

90% of Americans have no clue who Wes Moore is. 

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Never even heard of Wes Moore until now. 

And if he becomes the Democratic nominee for POTUS, he'll become a household name overnight.

• Hook 'Em 3

There is four long months until the election. We haven’t made it through disaster season on the east coast / Gulf coast. The 24 hours news cycle has to have news for ads and clicks. Good news does not produce clicks.

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Does feel like the GQP is starting to get a little cocky about their chances in November. They probably think they can announce any extreme viewpoint and they won’t lose. Maybe they’re right. But I’m cautiously optimistic the fascists will shoot themselves in the foot here soon 

I'm confident the Dems will beat them on the draw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As much as everyone keeps talking about the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, it's going to look like a different Democratic Convention in Chicago: 1956, when they nominated Adlai Stevenson to get slaughtered by Eisenhower. 

Yet there is still time to do something about it but let's not hurt the feelings of the Biden family.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Yet there is still time to do something about it but let's not hurt the feelings of the Biden family.

It's fine. Happy to suffer through another Trump Term.  Just as long as Joe, Jill, Hunter, and Ashley don't have to get the feels. 

• Rage+1 1

Doesn't any switch need to be made by Aug 7 in order to not get into issues with having the Democratic POTUS nominee on the ballot in all 50 states?

And there's this: every tested Dem nominee for POTUS is outperforming Biden at this point.

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2024/new-politico-poll-reveals-nearly-every-tested-democrat-performs-better-than-biden/

I'm in favor of graciously replacing Biden at this point. We cannot sit around and hope and pray for an "October surprise" which is the only thing many say would swing this back Biden's direction.

Politico Playbook reported on a new poll conducted by BlueLabs Analytics that spells out bad news for President Joe Biden as the Democratic candidate.

As the push for Biden to leave the race amid questions about his fitness for office continue, the new poll asked 15,000 voters in seven battleground states — Nevada, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Georgia — to cast their imaginary vote in a race between former President Donald Trump and Biden as well as a different Democratic candidate, including Vice President Kamala Harris. The polling took place between July 5 and July 12 and the data was collected during interviews. (It was not specified whether the interviews were over the phone or in person.) The memo from BlueLabs Analytics did not cite a margin of error.

According to the poll results, every other Democratic candidate outperformed Biden against Trump. These were the topline results:

Alternative Democratic candidates run ahead of President Biden by an average of three points across the battleground states. Nearly every tested Democrat performs better than the President. This includes Vice President Harris who runs better than the President (but behind the average alternative).

Some of the gains are coming from winning undecideds and those previously supporting a third party. However, alternative candidates are also pulling votes from Donald Trump. All candidates continue to hold the Democratic base.

Voters are looking for a fresh face. Those more closely tied to the current administration perform relatively worse than other tested candidates.

When it came to that fresh face, the four candidates who performed the strongest were (in alphabetical order, because there were no polling numbers attached to them in the memo): Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ), Maryland Gov. Wes Moore (D), Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro (D), and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D). According to the memo, all four of these candidates outperformed Biden “by roughly 5 points across battleground states.”

The poll comes amid reports that Democrats are still trying to figure out a way to replace Biden on the ticket ahead of November, even while others try to push to accelerate the nomination process before the Democratic National Convention next month.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Doesn't any switch need to be made by Aug 7 in order to not get into issues with having the Democratic POTUS nominee on the ballot in all 50 states?

And there's this: every tested Dem nominee for POTUS is outperforming Biden at this point.

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2024/new-politico-poll-reveals-nearly-every-tested-democrat-performs-better-than-biden/

I'm in favor of graciously replacing Biden at this point. We cannot sit around and hope and pray for an "October surprise" which is the only thing many say would swing this back Biden's direction.

once he's nominated and accepted, the only way to get him off the ballot is for him to resign the Presidency, if you want to avoid the ballot complications. And he'd have to do it around Labor Day, I'd think. 

Short of a full blow rebellion with MoC  boycotting the convention, Cabinet Secretaries openly calling for the 25th, Obama and Clinton publicly calling on him to step aside, Donor's bailing in giant numbers, I just don't see Biden leaving.  They've convinced themselves they are the comeback kids.  They aren't even talking to much of their campaign at this point. 

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Never take for granted any real nor perceived lead in the polls. A lot can happen. Talking about the future of the country and plans for a second term can help more than talking about past accomplishments. It seems like those in charge of Trump’s campaign have already accepted the possibility Biden won’t be the candidate. So they are ready to pivot. The Trump campaign has the luxury of criticizing the last four years to appeal to their base. Whether it’s Biden or not Dems need to pivot towards the plans for the future. Jmo.

there is some disconnect between the voters being polled and Biden’s accomplishments the last four years. Or he wouldn’t have had a 37% approval rating going into the debate. 

so my question is: why do Dem party leaders keep kicking Biden in the dick at every turn? They are destroying their own candidate.

Is the plan to just go ahead and get him nominated so the convention isn’t a mess and then strong arm him to step down in September? Because no attempts to get him to step down have been working. again all this is hypothetical. The last month has been crazy and anything can happen including Repubs getting over confident and imploding plus some crazy October surprise. But I do not understand the Dem strategy right now. You can’t attack Trump effectively while simultaneously attacking Biden giving Repubs more talking points. The repubs who might have gleefully tried to 25th Amendment Biden’s ass now aren’t really interested in helping take him down bc they’d rather face Biden. It’s a fucking mess. It doesn’t have to be that way. 

If they go with anyone besides Kamala there is a money problem right?  

They can't just move the money from Biden campaign to say.....Jamie Dimon or someone like that.  They would have to refund donations and ask them to be sent to the new campaign?

So its Biden or Kamala or total chaos.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

once he's nominated and accepted, the only way to get him off the ballot is for him to resign the Presidency, if you want to avoid the ballot complications. And he'd have to do it around Labor Day, I'd think. 

Short of a full blow rebellion with MoC  boycotting the convention, Cabinet Secretaries openly calling for the 25th, Obama and Clinton publicly calling on him to step aside, Donor's bailing in giant numbers, I just don't see Biden leaving.  They've convinced themselves they are the comeback kids.  They aren't even talking to much of their campaign at this point. 

So I should sell of all the "Biden won't be the nominee" I bought on predictit right after the debate.

3 minutes ago, huge said:

If they go with anyone besides Kamala there is a money problem right?  

They can't just move the money from Biden campaign to say.....Jamie Dimon or someone like that.  They would have to refund donations and ask them to be sent to the new campaign?

So its Biden or Kamala or total chaos.

As I understand it, this is more or less correct. The money issue is much simpler with Harris. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Look, can we all just be honest for like 3 seconds? Most of us have been on the "Please Joe, just make it to the finish line" train for awhile now. It wasn't like we were all confident in his age before the debate. We nervously chuckled when he talked about recent conversations with people who have been dead for months. We dismissed the rapidly increasing senior moments and cringey mannerisms. We rallied around little snippets of politicians claiming he's still "good in the room" (while his cabinet almost completely kept him out of the public eye) 

Well, now the plane has crashed into the god damned mountain. 

You want to call staying the course and continuing the flight as is the uncowardly approach. That's fine. But some of us call it insanity.

It's also bullshit that the party is asking people to suspend their belief in what they see and hear.  It's the most unnecessary coverup I can think of.  Don't piss on heads and talk about the weather.  That's for Trump to handle.

It's like a tractor beam to the bottom of the ocean.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And if he becomes the Democratic nominee for POTUS, he'll become a household name overnight.

LOL there is absolutely zero chance the Dem party nominates a guy 95% of people have never heard of. What are we doing here. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

LOL there is absolutely zero chance the Dem party nominates a guy 95% of people have never heard of. What are we doing here. 

Please, we are well into the "let's hire the best FCS coach/high school coach" territory.

Classic Surly.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's not about that. It's about numbers. Joe Biden hasn't lost the level of support necessary to drop out. If Democrats really want him to step aside, a whole lot more of them need to say so publicly.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I didn't say anything about any likelihood that Moore would be the pick. What I mean is that whoever replaces Biden is going to be a household name overnight. For somebody that doesn't necessarily have as high a profile now as, say, Kamala, the sooner you do this the better. Get that person out in front of every camera you can so they can start campaigning. But the money situation points strongly in Kamala's direction and the other names bandied about probably wind up on the ticket at VP.

• Hook 'Em 2

Had anyone done a deep dive on RFK's support?  I'd like to know specifically why he's generally polling at at least double the vote share of third party candidates in previous elections?  His surname has something to do with it but it's not like he himself has a lot of fame.  Maybe some of it is concern over Biden's age.

My theory is that the delta over previous third party candidate performance is largely protest positioning.  I believe it's not actual support for his platform or otherwise a marker  of low intelligence and information that would lead you to believe that if his vote share dropped to conventional levels that Trump would get a bigger slice of the pie than Biden.

These are the folks that are partly responsible for his terrible approval rating above and beyond which polarization can explain, be it over Gaza or student debt or old or some other issue.  They are also the ones polling senate Dems.  They'll continue to protest while it doesn't count, but will be back in the fold in November.  If they are voting Trump they are polling Trump today.  The veneer of shame people had polling/voting for Trump in 2016 and 2020 has vanished.  They are loud and proud now.

If you look at the polls of the alternative Dem candidates and how they position vs. Biden, I think there is a substantial overlap between RFKs support over historical baseline and the difference between Biden/other D.

Maybe I just made up bullshit and they go vote for Trump.  I also for mental health reasons don't watch any political TV and this thread is more or less it for my election/political news.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Look, can we all just be honest for like 3 seconds? Most of us have been on the "Please Joe, just make it to the finish line" plane for awhile now. It wasn't like we were all confident in his age before the debate. We nervously chuckled when he talked about recent conversations with people who have been dead for months. We dismissed the rapidly increasing senior moments and cringey mannerisms. We rallied around little snippets of politicians claiming he's still "good in the room" (while his cabinet almost completely kept him out of the public eye) and the SOTU.

Well, now the plane has crashed into the god damned mountain. 

You want to call staying the course and continuing the flight as is the uncowardly approach. That's fine. But some of us call it insanity.

I thought Biden was too old in 2020.  I know he's too old now. But it doesn't matter. Obama 2.0 isn't on the sidelines warming up and ready to come in.  None of the possible alternative candidates offer a substantially better chance of winning (all are polling just about even with Biden against Trump, well within the margin of error) and none but Harris would even want to try because starting a campaign from scratch with 3 months to go would be a nightmare. 

Just like in 2020, our candidate is "not Trump." Even if Biden steps aside for Harris or if the party somehow nominated and coalesced behind another ticket entirely, the candidate wouldn't be Obama 2.0, it would still be "not Trump." Biden was the acceptable old white guy in 2020 who couldn't even really get the message across then. Yes he's worse now, but not really even that much worse.  His decline is being magnified and everyone is doomposting because most people wanted to believe for the past 3.5 years that there was no way that Trump could possibly get re-elected and now they're finally confronting reality. But this was always going to be a close election, just like the last one, for numerous structural and social reasons that have nothing to do with who the Democratic candidate is.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

But this was always going to be a close election, just like the last one, for numerous structural and social reasons that have nothing to do with who the Democratic candidate is.  

No, everyone knows any other candidate will clean Trump's clock.  *eye roll* 

It's time to face facts - we are not going to have another 1984-style blowout in America for a long time.  We are literally a 50/50 (maybe 52/48) country in terms of polarization and structurally, the GOP will likely never win the popular vote ever again barring a massive realignment, but the EC will always give them a chance.

American Democracy simply doesn't work anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No, everyone knows any other candidate will clean Trump's clock.  *eye roll* 

It's time to face facts - we are not going to have another 1984-style blowout in America for a long time.  We are literally a 50/50 (maybe 52/48) country in terms of polarization and structurally, the GOP will likely never win the popular vote ever again barring a massive realignment, but the EC will always give them a chance.

American Democracy simply doesn't work anymore. 

Over half the country fucking hates the guy that will probably win the election. It's insane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think y’all need to accept the fact that Joe Biden is going to be the nominee. 

Doom thread title out front should have told you that we mostly have.

i keep getting texts with obvious democratic pollster questions - 'are you still voting for Joe Biden?', 'do you still support Joe Biden as the democratic nominee?', 'would you support another democratic nominee?' stuff like that. 

the thing is...they all have a link to click to respond. and guess what...i will never click a link i receive from an anonymous unknown number. 

assuming those are legit pollsters, they are likely missing a whole lot of educated, tech savvy respondents in these polls.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, mchookem said:

i keep getting texts with obvious democratic pollster questions - 'are you still voting for Joe Biden?', 'do you still support Joe Biden as the democratic nominee?', 'would you support another democratic nominee?' stuff like that. 

the thing is...they all have a link to click to respond. and guess what...i will never click a link i receive from an anonymous unknown number. 

assuming those are legit pollsters, they are likely missing a whole lot of educated, tech savvy respondents in these polls.

Same here. It's insane to think they're evaluating anything based on polls that couldn't look more like scams if they tried.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Same here. It's insane to think they're evaluating anything based on polls that couldn't look more like scams if they tried.

I don’t even answer the phone when HEB calls to tell me my prescription is ready 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Over half the country fucking hates the guy that will probably win the election. It's insane.

And of the other side, a sizable chunk is voting for TFG for the sole reason that.....the opposition side hates him, so when he wins, it will make them mad.  "Lib tears" and all that.  A large percentage of voters is going to set off a suicide vest to blow up the country just because setting off that vest pisses off a bunch of people locked in the room with them.  

Stupidest fucking timeline.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

None of the possible alternative candidates offer a substantially better chance of winning

I obviously can't prove this, but I just fundamentally disagree. Every single Biden lock today would still vote for any Democrat nominee to try to stop Trump. Another nominee at least gives the potential of swaying some of the "anyone but these two chucklefucks" crowd. Call him/her the "anti-Trump and probably will still be alive in 4 years" candidate. Sexy name appeal right there.

And, as others have mentioned, if the nominee IS going to be Biden, the White House has to stop gaslighting (god, I hate that word) us about his condition. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1