2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

As everyone loves to point out, Trump over performed his polling, mostly due to GOP non-response bias. Considering everyone thought he’d lose in 2016 and in 2020, only Dems obeyed stay at home orders and GOP didn’t answer the phone. 

I fail to see why there aren’t as many articles about Dem non-response bias as we were subjected to the last 2 cycles. Oh wait no, it’s bc the media doesn’t care and the pundits like when things confirm their beliefs 

Ain't many Dems happy to answer the phone and texts about Biden right now.  But they'll come home in the end.  This feels a lot like Access Hollywood 2016, but in July.

Edited by Js1

Now being seen at ER. At least I’m not in the waiting triage area. Cool. Getting an IV. 

so we went from Biden saying only the Lord could get him to leave race.

then it was if he was shown he couldn’t win. 

now with BET interview:

If I had some medical condition that emerged, if somebody, if doctors came to me and said, you got this problem and that problem,' Biden said in an interview with BET news.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Now being seen at ER. At least I’m not in the waiting triage area. Cool. Getting an IV. 

now with BET interview:

If I had some medical condition that emerged, if somebody, if doctors came to me and said, you got this problem and that problem,' Biden said in an interview with BET news.

Get off the internet, please.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Definitely not a cult. Also, watch the “Trump Ear Bandages” go on sale too. Only $99.99!

Surprised there hasn't been multiple ones being offered by Lindell, Rudy, etc. to pay off their legal bills. 

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Don't expect to see an AP poll in the media?  They are reporting it.  Its just that the edited graphic in the tweet buries the lede.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2024-07-17/takeaways-from-ap-norc-poll-showing-majority-of-democrats-want-biden-to-drop-out

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/new-ap-norc-poll-finds-nearly-two-thirds-of-democrats-want-biden-to-withdraw

https://apnorc.org/projects/most-say-biden-should-withdraw-from-the-presidential-race/

The full graphic, BTW....

spacer.png

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Get off the internet, please.

NYTimes has an article about the interview. There's actually some significant news in there, like, Biden admitting he really was only going to serve one term.

Biden Says He’d Consider Dropping Out if a ‘Medical Condition’ Emerged
President Biden has said none of his doctors have told him he has a serious medical condition. But his debate performance last month raised questions about his health and acuity.

President Biden said in an interview released on Wednesday that he would re-evaluate whether to stay in the presidential race if a doctor told him directly that he had a medical condition that made that necessary.

Mr. Biden has said repeatedly that none of his doctors have told him he has a serious medical condition. Dr. Kevin O’Connor, the White House physician, wrote after the president’s physical in February that Mr. Biden is “a healthy, active, robust, 81-year-old male who remains fit to successfully execute the duties of the presidency.”

But his disastrous performance at a debate with former President Donald J. Trump last month, which prompted a wave of calls by Democratic allies to step aside, raised questions about his health and acuity.

In an interview with Ed Gordon of BET News, Mr. Biden was asked if there was anything that would make him re-evaluate staying in the race.

“If I had some medical condition that emerged, if somebody, if doctors came to me and said, you got this problem and that problem,” Mr. Biden said, according to a brief excerpt released by the network.

The comment is the latest in a series of shifting explanations by the president about what might cause him to reconsider. In an interview with ABC News this month, Mr. Biden said he would drop out only if the “Lord almighty” told him to. At a news conference in Washington several days later, he said he would stay in the race unless aides came to him with proof that he could never win.

In the BET interview, he conceded that he “made a serious mistake in the whole debate” and would re-evaluate his decision if one of his doctors changed their assessment of him.

Mr. Biden also said for the first time that he had expected to “move on” from the presidency and “pass it on to somebody else” but decided to run again because he believed his “wisdom” and experience would help heal the country’s worsening divisions.

“You may remember Ed, I said I was going to be a transitional candidate, and I thought I would be able to move on from this and pass it on to somebody else,” the president said. “But I didn’t anticipate things getting so, so, so divided. And quite frankly, I think the only thing age brings is a little bit of wisdom.”

It is the most explicit that Mr. Biden has been in suggesting that he considered serving only one term in office when he ran in 2020. At the time, he said he would be a transitional candidate who could serve as a bridge to a new generation of political leaders in the party.

That was widely seen at the time by many Democrats as Mr. Biden — the oldest person elected to the White House — hinting that he would pass the torch to Vice President Kamala Harris to run in the 2024 election.

But the president’s political advisers have said that the bridge was an eight-year span, and that his re-election to a second term would simply be a longer transition to the new generation than some had expected.

Now, with his comments in the BET interview, Mr. Biden indicated that he had initially expected to serve one term but changed his mind.

“I think I’ve demonstrated that I know how to get things done for the country in spite of the fact that we were told we couldn’t get it done,” Mr. Biden told Mr. Gordon. “But there’s more to do, and I’m reluctant to walk away from that.”

The full interview is scheduled to air at 10 p.m. Eastern.

The president said something similar during a news conference in Washington this month, when a reporter asked what changed from the time he promised to be a bridge candidate.

“What changed was the gravity of the situation,” Mr. Biden said. “What I realized was, my long time in the Senate had equipped me to have the wisdom to know how to deal with the Congress to get things done. We got more major legislation passed that no one thought would happen. And I want to finish — to get that finished.”

41 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I believe there is a certain resident board idiot that keeps running his mouth about Project 25 being on the fringe and not the actual policy of Trump. 

So 100,000 Americans will lose their jobs and 50,000 will as well unless they bend the knee and promise total loyalty to Trump. THE CHAMPION OF THE PEOPLE! And if you vote for this guy and shit you normally rely stops being so reliable, that's on your stupid fucking ass for falling for this bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

NYTimes has an article about the interview. There's actually some significant news in there, like, Biden admitting he really was only going to serve one term.

I think he would have if the GOP didn't just bow to Trump, yet again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think he would have if the GOP didn't just bow to Trump, yet again. 

That's generally been my operating assumption. Once it was clear that Trump was running again, Biden decided to do the same.

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t forget people who can’t back the loans they agreed to.  

You mean like EIDL and PPP loans?  As I am sure that is what you are talking about.

"The theft was massive in scale. The U.S. Small Business Administration inspector general estimates $136 billion in fraud from the EIDL and $64 billion in fraud from the PPP. For FPUC, the U.S. Government Accountability Office estimates more than $100 billion in fraud"

https://www.sba.gov/document/report-23-09-covid-19-pandemic-eidl-ppp-loan-fraud-landscape

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So 100,000 Americans will lose their jobs

Here's an important part of that plan: 100,000 people will lose their jobs.  Government activities that people depend on (processing applications, payments, passport renewals, etc.) will get bogged down, lost in the shuffle, or will even completely fall apart.  And then the GQP will jump up again to say "see!  Government can't do anything right!  We need to outsource all of those functions to the private sector!  And what do you know, one of our largest donors has started a business called "Process your Passport for 3X the Price, Inc.," and he's ready to step in and fix things!"

PJ O'Rourke was spot-on: "The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it." 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's an important part of that plan: 100,000 people will lose their jobs.  Government activities that people depend on (processing applications, payments, passport renewals, etc.) will get bogged down, lost in the shuffle, or will even completely fall apart.  And then the GQP will jump up again to say "see!  Government can't do anything right!  We need to outsource all of those functions to the private sector!  And what do you know, one of our largest donors has started a business called "Process your Passport for 3X the Price, Inc.," and he's ready to step in and fix things!"

PJ O'Rourke was spot-on: "The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it." 

All you have to do is look at the fire that the Texas GOP arsonists set to public education and the way they are trying to act like they are the firefighters with bullshit vouchers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You mean like EIDL and PPP loans?  As I am sure that is what you are talking about.

"The theft was massive in scale. The U.S. Small Business Administration inspector general estimates $136 billion in fraud from the EIDL and $64 billion in fraud from the PPP. For FPUC, the U.S. Government Accountability Office estimates more than $100 billion in fraud"

https://www.sba.gov/document/report-23-09-covid-19-pandemic-eidl-ppp-loan-fraud-landscape

Did they just decide that wasn’t worth pursuing? I always wondered why the rampant fraud of PPP was never dealt with. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Did they just decide that wasn’t worth pursuing? I always wondered why the rampant fraud of PPP was never dealt with. 

Probably the same reason Trump has said he won't release the Epstein files because they could hurt a lot of good people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm pretty sure I've heard about some prosecutions, but probably not nearly enough.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At the 2008 Democratic National Convention:

I can’t say for sure if I saw that speech or not but I’ve definitely been aware of Wes Moore since 2010 when he was interviewed on The Colbert Report following the publication of his book The Other Wes Moore. He made quite an impression. 

No Wes, no more.

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Because it was the rich.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

They are slowly going after them:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/2024/04/09/dallas-woman-faces-45-years-in-prison-over-fraudulent-ppp-loans/

https://www.hka.com/cares-act-in-2024-fraud-investigations-are-just-beginning/

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Pelosi keeps going on that she's waiting on Biden to make a decision. He's made a decision but it's obvious that she disagrees so she's going to keep asking for him to decide.

When Trump gets his post convention bump, the Dems will panic and Biden will drop out.

One has to remember that Schiff is a Pelosi protege.  It's impossible to imagine that he would make this move without her express approval.

And if that means that Nancy Pelosi is whipping pressure to get Biden out of the race--and I suspect it does--then Biden is done.  Because there is no person better at whipping Democratic votes than Nancy Pelosi.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

now with BET interview:

late night lol GIF by The Rundown with Robin Thede

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

One has to remember that Schiff is a Pelosi protege.  It's impossible to imagine that he would make this move without her express approval.

And if that means that Nancy Pelosi is whipping pressure to get Biden out of the race--and I suspect it does--then Biden is done.  Because there is no person better at whipping Democratic votes than Nancy Pelosi.

Awesome that some may be counting on one octogenarian to oust another octogenarian to stave off Trump 2.0. We wonder why the Democratic Party keeps f'ing up layup elections against a candidate that should have no business winning. 

"Biden should pass the torch to a new generation" -84 year old who should do the same. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Who is 2 years older than Biden...

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And if Biden just keeps saying no?

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Unless and until you convince Jill and Hunter, it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I obviously can't prove this, but I just fundamentally disagree. Every single Biden lock today would still vote for any Democrat nominee to try to stop Trump. Another nominee at least gives the potential of swaying some of the "anyone but these two chucklefucks" crowd. Call him/her the "anti-Trump and probably will still be alive in 4 years" candidate. Sexy name appeal right there.

And, as others have mentioned, if the nominee IS going to be Biden, the White House has to stop gaslighting (god, I hate that word) us about his condition. 

There is a slight caveat to this - there's a decent amount of polling data that shows Biden's support has held up better with older and whiter voters. I haven't seen enough polling on Harris to say but it stands to reason she could be at a net neutral and maybe giving some ground in the EC because she'd shed support from white and/or seniors while maybe bringing some youths and POC, particularly black voters, back into the fold. PA, MI, and WI are all older/whiter than the broader electorate, hence Harris potentially losing a small slice of current Biden supporters and expanding the structural EC deficit.

I still think I'd give her the shot because she also presumably gets the previously undecided/"double haters" to give Democrats a second look, and a decisive win there actually gives you a competitive chance to get across the finish line.

• Hook 'Em 2

Have you guys forgotten where we live? A black woman is not getting elected. This country is deeply racist and misogynistic. White, male democrats that aren’t a Biden lock will stay home.
OR is my perception skewed because I work in Houston, in a mostly white, male industry?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Goofyboy said:

Have you guys forgotten where we live? A black woman is not getting elected. This country is deeply racist and misogynistic. White, male democrats that aren’t a Biden lock will stay home.
OR is my perception skewed because I work in Houston, in a mostly white, male industry?

This is at the root of my previous post on Harris, really. I'd expect older/whiter voters currently keeping Biden in at least striking distance would see some shifts to not voting or to Trump if a black woman is on the ticket.

The be clear, I don't think the potential of racism influencing a small portion of the electorate is a reason to not go with the higher upside candidate; but it would give me pause when it comes to handicapping her chances at victory.

On the topic of race, Split Ticket just dropped an interesting poll and analysis of black voters in swing states: https://split-ticket.org/2024/07/17/we-polled-black-voters-heres-what-we-found/

• Hook 'Em 1

The other half of Harris running is who would she pick for VP. Too many democrats want Pete as VP. That’s a dead end ticket - again because we aren’t that progressive as a society.
Has a VP been discussed?

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Awesome that some may be counting on one octogenarian to oust another octogenarian to stave off Trump 2.0. We wonder why the Democratic Party keeps f'ing up layup elections against a candidate that should have no business winning. 

"Biden should pass the torch to a new generation" -84 year old who should do the same. 

I don't know what you're talking about.  When Pelosi left, she was still very capable.  But instead of staying on past her expiration date, she had groomed Jeffries as her successor.  And when the time came, she handed the job over to him without any drama or rancor.  

It's time for Biden to do the same.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

The other half of Harris running is who would she pick for VP. Too many democrats want Pete as VP. That’s a dead end ticket - again because we aren’t that progressive as a society.
Has a VP been discussed?

very very interesting question 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Looks at these pathetic losers. I seriously cannot imagine worshiping my preferred political candidate like some star fucker. These people are genuinely sick.

image.thumb.png.ba1ef9e90e61481a6bdd598ab6d9c801.png

Wait, is that not Teller doing a bit?