2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

You got data for that?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/upshot/kamala-harris-biden-poll.html

There's not a lot of data out there but the recent NYT poll of PA and VA does show some senior and white non-college movement toward Trump when Biden is replaced with Harris. No movement among men, but given Harris's gain among minority and younger voters it probably implies at least some defection among white men, particularly older ones and non-educated ones. These are likely the voters being referred to.

That said it's worth noting that this poll does have Harris performing a couple points better overall. Sample size of one poll, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Or he resigns, Harris becomes 47, and then trunp and his team have to order new merch with 48 put on it which they can’t do because they are poor

45M a month can buy a lot of merch. 

• Rage+1 3

Just now, Goofyboy said:

Based on the COVID thread on this site, this round is not exactly easy going. This really might cause him to step down.

If nothing else it gives him cover

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Goofyboy said:

Based on the COVID thread on this site, this round is not exactly easy going. This really might cause him to step down.

Is COVID still a thing that kills people with paxlovid around? 

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is COVID still a thing that kills people with paxlovid around? 

He's had at least 6 shots. Paxlovid efficacy unknown in this setting. Chances are that he will be fine. Only real question is whether a rebound side lines him for the convention, but I think that unlikely given the timeframes involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I mean....if Biden truly is as addled as y'all say he is, couldn't you just say "So, Joe...to follow-up on your commitment yesterday to drop out of the race and let Kamala take your slot"

"Wait?  I committed to drop out yesterday?"

"Well, yes.  Right after lunch.  We were talking, you had just enjoyed your soft sandwich and Ensure, and you said 'I feel it is my patriotic duty to drop out.'  Sir, the whole team has been talking since then about how much we admire your bravery and commitment to America.  I just wanted to follow up on how we should draft the formal statement to release to the press.  What do you think about this version [pushes document across the table to him]."

If he's as out of it as y'all say, he'll say "oh, yes....of course.  Yes, that's my duty.  Let me look over this statement."

Literally ran this play on my mom at one point. Old age is hell.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Literally ran this play on my mom at one point. Old age is hell.

I liked how this board is mostly Gen Xers and can see our old, deranged parents in both of these candidates.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Biden Called ‘More Receptive’ to Hearing Pleas to Step Aside

President Biden has become more receptive in the last several days to hearing arguments about why he should drop his re-election bid, Democrats briefed on his conversations said on Wednesday, after his party’s two top leaders in Congress privately told him they were deeply concerned about his prospects.

Mr. Biden has not given any indication that he is changing his mind about staying in the race, the Democrats said, but has been willing to listen to rundowns of new and worrying polling data and has asked questions about how Vice President Kamala Harris could win.

The accounts suggest that Mr. Biden, privately at least, is striking a more open-minded posture than he did last week when he lashed out at a number of House Democrats who pressed him to step aside.

One person close to the president said that it would be wrong to call him receptive to the idea of dropping out but that he “is willing to listen.” But this person emphasized there was no sign that Mr. Biden was changing course at this point.

The descriptions emerged after Senator Chuck Schumer and Representative Hakeem Jeffries, the two top Democrats in Congress, each told Mr. Biden privately over the past week that their members were deeply concerned about his chances in November and the fates of House and Senate candidates should he remain at the top of the ticket, according to two people briefed on the conversations.

The White House suggested that Mr. Biden was unmoved by their discussions.

“The president told both leaders he is the nominee of the party, he plans to win and looks forward to working with both of them to pass his 100 days agenda to help working families,” said Andrew Bates, a White House spokesman.

The separate exchanges between Mr. Biden and the congressional leaders, described on the condition of anonymity because they were confidential discussions on an exceedingly sensitive topic, came to light as Democrats’ rebellion against Mr. Biden intensified on Wednesday.

Mr. Schumer and Mr. Jeffries, both of New York, privately prevailed upon party officials to delay the start of Mr. Biden’s nomination by a week, prolonging the debate over the viability of his candidacy.

Representative Adam B. Schiff of California became the highest-profile Democratic lawmaker to call on Mr. Biden to end his run. And Jeffrey Katzenberg, a co-chairman of the Biden campaign, told the president that donors had stopped giving to his campaign, according to a person with knowledge of the exchange.

image.png.bc328d581787d31c8e7a19b74bfab081.png

https://www.threads.net/@semafor/post/C9i6Xq_M807

That's basically Democratic leadership outside Biden and Harris:

• Senate Majority Leader Schumer
  • House Minority Leader Jeffries
  • Fmr House Majority Leader Pelosi

Others asking Biden to step down:

• Adam Schiff-CA
  • Brittany Pettersen-CO
  • Mike Levin-CA
  • Jim Himes-CT
  • Scott Peters-CA
  • Eric Sorensen-IL
  • Greg Stanton-AZ
  • Adam Smith-WA
  • Ed Case-HI
  • Brad Schneider-IL
  • Hillary Scholton-MI
  • Earl Blumenauer-OR
  • Pat Ryan-NY
  • Mikie Sherrill-NJ
  • Peter Welch-VT
  • Angie Craig-MN
  • Mike Quigley-IL
  • Seth Moulton-MA
  • Raul Grijalva-AZ
  • Lloyd Doggett-TX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Figure it's going to happen at this point.  I'm still not sure it's good or bad election-wise assuming it's Harris.  If I had to pick my candidate, given the importance of Pennsylvania and the relative good standing the state has for Shapiro, I'd just run him and VP Harris but I don't think she'd go for it.  4 months is enough time for Shapiro to become known and he's a pretty good public speaker and policy-wise he's pretty centrist and would be palatable to undecideds and double haters.

But it'll be Harris.  She brings some good things and some bad.  What is the net effect in the few states that matter we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

man..he should be defensive. he's done a damn good job, likely one of the best in my lifetime, he literally saved this country by prying it from the dirty grasp of a destructive evil chaos agent and his cartoon character minions, he restored/repaired America's reputation around the world, not to mention helped get us through the pandemic and the aftermath.

i'm not saying he shouldn't step down, im certainly not advocating he's our only chance to win this time and save our democracy. stepping down very well may be the right move, wtf do i know...i'm just reacting to the characterization of him, it makes me feel bad given he is the only one that could have saved us in 2020, and he did, and he's done it very, very well. i would be defensive too.

man just fuck this gotdamn timeline. Joe's a good man and he's been a damn good president. hmpf.

My sentiments are similar, and I'm quite conflicted about the whole situation. On the one hand, "You dance with the one who brung you." On the other, this isn't just about Joe or his feelings. This is about the state of democracy, the future of this country, and the well-being of the West and the entire planet. I know it sounds hyperbolic to a lot of ears, but them's the stakes. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Is it just me or does Trump seem weird since the shooting? I know it would scare any normal person. He has his normal act that he does and looking at his face it seems like he can't do the act right now.

It’s his new act. He’s acting humble and then will rise like a fat phoenix tomorrow then do the jerk off dance. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

If I had to pick my candidate, given the importance of Pennsylvania and the relative good standing the state has for Shapiro, I'd just run him and VP Harris but I don't think she'd go for it.

Why not VP Shapiro to back Harris? Why should Harris play 2nd fiddle to a relatively unknown governor?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Figure it's going to happen at this point.  I'm still not sure it's good or bad election-wise assuming it's Harris.  If I had to pick my candidate, given the importance of Pennsylvania and the relative good standing the state has for Shapiro, I'd just run him and VP Harris but I don't think she'd go for it.  4 months is enough time for Shapiro to become known and he's a pretty good public speaker and policy-wise he's pretty centrist and would be palatable to undecideds and double haters.

But it'll be Harris.  She brings some good things and some bad.  What is the net effect in the few states that matter we'll see.

Harris/Shapiro is getting really popular on the socials

• Hook 'Em 1