2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, "things have changed since then."  I think that in the aggregate, they've gotten worse, not better.  Women are not coming to save us.  The Karens from the burbs are going to show up in force to support the candidate who hates minorities as much as they do.  And a lot of other women "just can't trust a woman to make such big decisions," because believe it or not, plenty of women are as misogynist as men.

Nobody is coming to save us. And we are incapable of saving ourselves.  Self-immolation is our destiny

I don’t disagree with this, but it’s not that things have changed, it’s that styles make fights. We don’t have the choice of depolarizing the electorate or wedging the Trump coalition. So, like @jimmyjazz said, we make the agency of women the thematic center of the campaign and polarize that. Not gender identity or squishy white feminism. Abortion. D&C. The ability to remove a miscarriage from your body before you go into sepsis. The ability to “take care of it” before your high school age daughter has to walk into Westwood County Club or show up at Highland Park High School with a baby bump. 

I give a Harris/Whitmer ticket a punchers chance to beat Trump. Biden has lost his hook and he ain’t no dancer.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

She gained a ton of momentum, until the media assassinated her

2020 wasn’t her year, 2016 was. She missed her window. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Personally, I'd like to see how Ben Shapiro would deal with Josh Shapiro on the ticket.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

She gained a ton of momentum, until the media assassinated her

She was a democrat and not perfect, that’s what democrats do, tear each other down if not perfect.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Great analysis.  Except it misses one key thing: perhaps the most devastating, crippling misogynists in the world are....other women.  Men are a lost cause, but nominating a minority female will boost the turnout of shitty men.  And if you think we'll make up the gap because women will be enthusiastic and support Kamala...you haven't been paying attention to how shitty women, particularly white women, are.  See the breakdown from 2016:

_92349609_us_elections_2016_exit_polls_g

Yes, "things have changed since then."  I think that in the aggregate, they've gotten worse, not better.  Women are not coming to save us.  The Karens from the burbs are going to show up in force to support the candidate who hates minorities as much as they do.  And a lot of other women "just can't trust a woman to make such big decisions," because believe it or not, plenty of women are as misogynist as men.

Nobody is coming to save us. And we are incapable of saving ourselves.  Self-immolation is our destiny.

Your graph suggests women are significantly better than men. It doesn't really support your point. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is almost like a coaching search thread lol. 

Do we need to have someone at Horseshoe Bay on the lookout for Kamala?  Nicole might be willing to take a break from her Rainey Street gig to serve in that capacity.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Charlie Kirk.

A man who last touched a vagina when he plopped out of his mom's.

Goddamn can you imagine passing that watermelon? That woman must have had a pelvis like the Lincoln Tunnel. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Yea, Warren was my favorite candidate last cycle. Didn't really understand why she couldn't gain any momentum.

Dems didn't want some young whippersnapper.*

*Warren was 71.  But Biden was 77 and Bernie was 78.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's a very real phenomenon in American politics that a politician's best speech is his last one.  It's both the best speech and it's the best received speech.  See generally the farewell speeches by Obama and Reagan.  Biden would get the opportunity to have a five-month farewell speech.  And it could really move the needle.

I'm stepping down, I'm not running for President.

One last time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wish I could watch all this as a disinterested witness. Because this is going to be the craziest shit ever..... Replacing your nominee a month before the convention.

Biden down to 26c on predictit. Michelle Obama and Newsom are going to catch him soon at this rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wish I could watch all this as a disinterested witness. Because this is going to be the craziest shit ever..... Replacing your nominee a month before the convention.

Biden down to 26c on predictit. Michelle Obama and Newsom are going to catch him soon at this rate.

Is this just pure speculation that he's gonna step down because he realizes that COVID is enough to sideline his ass for an extended period of time or is there more going on. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is this just pure speculation that he's gonna step down because he realizes that COVID is enough to sideline his ass for an extended period of time or is there more going on. 

That plus Schiff, Pelosi, and Schumer telling him he needs to drop out.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Given the timeline of events (meeting last weekend with Dem leaders and the sudden outpouring of "he needs to step down" comments from congressional leaders yesterday), many are speculating that Biden was given a few days to make the call on his own and now the Party is going all-in to get him out.  The COVID diagnosis and resulting campaign fallout is just another datapoint that folks can use against him.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Yea, Warren was my favorite candidate last cycle. Didn't really understand why she couldn't gain any momentum.

Didnt appeal to blacks, not moderate enough for never-Trumpers, not male enough for sexists.

Just now, Pancho said:

His BET interview last night wasn’t…..well, it wasn’t good

At this point, I don't get him trying to stay in.  He has to know -- or the sycophants around him have to know -- that he can't make a public appearance.  He's getting D- at best at every one now.  How are you going to have a campaign and you can't do anything in public without embarrassing yourself?  He can't make it through the weekend even, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

At this point, I don't get him trying to stay in.  He has to know -- or the sycophants around him have to know -- that he can't make a public appearance.  He's getting D- at best at every one now.  How are you going to have a campaign and you can't do anything in public without embarrassing yourself?  He can't make it through the weekend even, in my opinion.

I think there are valid strategic reasons to not drop out today and let the Republicans focus on the new candidate at the RNC where they have the mic and the country's attention.

Which means the Dems are likely just stupidly counting their belly button hairs before making a decision here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't avoid the fact that these slip-ups exist (*cough*like R's*cough*), but I can't watch them. It's like watching Michael Scott's cringiest moments. And if I solid D voter like me can't handle watching him speak, I don't know how you keep throwing him out there and expect him to gain any ground.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think there are valid strategic reasons to not drop out today and let the Republicans focus on the new candidate at the RNC where they have the mic and the country's attention.

Yeah, I was thinking on it this morning and waiting until the RNC is over and then basically a month of press until the DNC is not a bad idea. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He was talking about Austin and Brown consecutively. And he said he appointed "a Black man" not "the Black man," but his speech pattern is still slow and mumbled. If he's going to be replaced, just fucking do it already, but stop focusing on every goddamned syllable and using misleading transcripts.

• Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Didnt appeal to blacks, not moderate enough for never-Trumpers, not male enough for sexists.

This-all her support came from highly educated middle aged white people who default into “if the other side just gets hits in the face with logic and facts they’ll compromise.”  Unfortunately that’s not what the greater electorate was seeking.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He was talking about Austin and Brown consecutively. And he said he appointed "a Black man" not "the Black man," but his speech pattern is still slow and mumbled. If he's going to be replaced, just fucking do it already, but stop focusing on every goddamned syllable and using misleading transcripts.

Yeah, that was old and stutter coming into play, not any memory confusion. 

11 hours ago, 6th Street said:

IMG_4995.thumb.png.66bd4781361a2b1a29ecb2f01cf23289.png

I mean this is basically dollars on sale for 86 cents. With the existing timetable there is zero chance of a replacement outside of Harris.