2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

There's enough people out there that still think the guardrails are up and another 4 years of trump will be stupid but not ruinous. It's certainly one way to look at it, but I think it's quite obvious that the supreme courts recent behavior and serious ethical concerns are what make that an invalid way of thinking.

I had a really good conversation with a person yesterday who thinks the Chevron decision was actually good in a long run type way because it will put the burden of defining things on the legislature. The flaw in that logic is the legislature is completely broken and non functional so it will effectively be legislated from the bench. 

Yes what we need is Marge and Boobert and SJL using all their technical knowledge and expertise to define things. Great. Awesome. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh you know it’s coming. The inevitable “Biden is still pulling the strings of Kamala” even though he was supposedly too senile to be President for 4 years 

I think it's exactly the opposite.  They'll shift to, "she's been pulling the strings all along".

Just now, Js1 said:

Yes what we need is Marge and Boobert and SJL using all their technical knowledge and expertise to define things. Great. Awesome. 

They weren't wrong, they were just altruistic. That actually is a good outcome and what the legislature should be doing. 

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The ticket needs Pennsyltucky. It’s not a given Dems win the state. Shapiro is a very popular governor. Also, I think he can articulate polices a bit better than Beshear. It’s not clear what Beshear would bring either other than age. Dems aren’t winning Kentucky. They need Pennsylvania.

The rumors are donors love them some Shapiro too. I think Harris/Shapiro gives the Dem ticket—and this entire presidential campaign—a much needed energy boost similar to a frat boy doing a line of coke right before kickoff. 

1.) Harris/Shapiro

2A.) Harris/Coop

2B.) Harris/Beshear

Shapiro does not have to be VP to help win PA, he can stump for Harris as Governor; same thing for Kelly in AZ.  I think Cooper is the right pick.  Cooper will help with religious moderates and possibly put NC in play.  If they’re not gonna have Whitmer or Shapiro at the top of the ticket it’s gonna be white knuckle time in MI, WI, and PA anyway.

I do think Kamala will get a bump over Biden in GA.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Shapiro does not have to be VP to help win PA, he can stump for Harris as Governor; same thing for Kelly in AZ.  I think Cooper is the right pick.  Cooper will help with religious moderates and possibly put NC in play.  If they’re not gonna have Whitmer or Shapiro at the top of the ticket it’s gonna be white knuckle time in MI, WI, and PA anyway.

I do think Kamala will get a bump over Biden in GA.

Cooper might be the underrated pick here.  Trump only one NC 49.93/48.59.  Cooper might help push them over and don't discount Harris getting a bump in NC as well.  It also helps that the Republican candidate for governor is fucking insane.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Cooper might be the underrated pick here.  Trump only one NC 49.93/48.59.  Cooper might help push them over and don't discount Harris getting a bump in NC as well.

Harris is out campaigning with Cooper today. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Cooper might be the underrated pick here.  Trump only one NC 49.93/48.59.  Cooper might help push them over and don't discount Harris getting a bump in NC as well.  It also helps that the Republican candidate for governor is fucking insane.

The polls do already show that NC looks very likely to do the same thing they did in 2016 and 2020 and split their ticket between Stein and Trump. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah but back in the day, we elected lawyers and doctors and people will intelligence to read up and study. Now we elect high school dropouts and three toed Neanderthals who can’t read, but SCOTUS “expects them” to do that. 

Right, if we had a functioning government these cases aren't actually all that bad. In effect the roe v Wade case was turned over to codify it in legislature and pass it. 

They can't legislate fucking anything though which is why it wasn't the time or place for that decision to take place. The problem with this court isn't necessarily the legal precedent or basis being catastrophic it's that the basis and assumption for rational functional government is obviously not viable and so they should punt or include that explicitly in their opinions to hold the legislative branch accountable in a more pointed and public way. That's not really political and an appropriate way for branches to interact. 

I watched Powell speak recently and I really like how he gives direct feedback to the government on their responsibility, but not advice on how they should do things or what policy they need to pass. The judiciary should be doing the same thing, but they don't because they actually want things to go sideways. 

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Cooper might be the underrated pick here.

True.  He's 67 and term-limited, so probably not looking forward to a potential 2028 run for President, and he could help push Stein past Robinson... win-win

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Wut?  I'd never heard of him until a few pages ago, and I doubt I'm in the minority.

Also, for those saying Beshear couldn't carry KY, he has a 65% approval rating.

Poll: Beshear most popular Democrat governor again - Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News

you spend hours a week on a political message board and haven’t heard of the governor of Pennsylvania that won his election by 10 points?

If Kamala is the nominee I think they have to go all in on her blackness.  Black turnout in Atlanta, Detroit, and Philly could be the difference in the election.  Trump has no path to victory without at least one of PA, MI, or GA.

Biden steps down with grace, heads to PA to stump for Harris.  Harris spends a shitload of time in ATL and Detroit.  Cooper stays mostly in NC.  The momentum carries over to NV and AZ.  Harris/Cooper win with 319 EV.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Also, for those saying Beshear couldn't carry KY, he has a 65% approval rating.

He still won’t. People need to understand state vs federal races have different feels. Go look at all those former governors who couldn’t get elected to Senate - Linda Lingle, Phil Bredesen, the popular Montana governor in 2020  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

you spend hours a week on a political message board and haven’t heard of the governor of Pennsylvania that won his election by 10 points?

Correct. 

I don't follow state level elections, and he's only been Gov for like 19 months.

fwiw, my knowledge of Beshear is mostly from living in Kentucky when he ran for his first term.

Edited by DixonHur

A perfect political move would be for Biden to announce today that he's stepping down to pull attention away from Trump's speech tonight. But there may be honor among thieves to somewhat keep quiet during the other convention.  

And you don't want a big announcement tomorrow on a Friday. Instead I'm calling that he steps down from the race and potentially resigns on Sunday night.

Harris needs to run from the Oval Office and not the VP office. Not to mention that she would get huge press by having the Senate confirm her VP, which would also be her VP candidate. That would be priceless free press.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, troph said:

I fucking ragey right now.

Everything I think is wrong with the world is on display right now.

1. FUCK THE MEDIA. Biden is old, okay. So is Trump. The fucking media is all over Biden. Until that Guardian clip above you had to rely on viral media to find Trump gaffs which are more plenty than Biden's and have been going on longer than Biden.

2. FUCK THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Stop eating your own. The drumbeat by purists inside the party created this. Republicans are rallied around a rapist, convicted felon, pathological liar, insurrectionist, senile old man and NO ONE is beating that drum loud enough. Biden has a near undefeated record in politics, his instincts and that of his team are the best in the business. He hasn't even really started campaigning and the party trashes him, for what? See point 5 below.

3. FUCK THE DEMOCRATS AND MEDIA FOR LEGITIMIZING TRUMP. He's a sham candidate, a farce, a fucking convicted felon. Why on EARTH did you agree to debate that piece of shit? Every time Trump gets coverage, he gains legitimacy. Every time folks play by the old rules and he breaks them, he gets legitimacy because he's associated by proximity to the institution - in this case the institution of a presidential debate. He gets on stage and vomits lies and yet we play by the standard debate rules with "impartiality" - fuck that nonsense. He needs to be sidelined.

4. BIDEN STEPS DOWN WITH THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ADMINISTRATION IN MY LIFETIME. Holy shit. If he can only operate 9am - 4pm, so fucking what? His administration is light years better than any POTUS Administration in my life time and second isn't even close. Yet here we are, he's being forced to step down. NO ONE is beating the drum about his record, it's PHENOMENAL. It's EXACTLY what we need for 4 more years.

5. LOVE HARRIS, BUT ... Kamala is a fan favorite at our house, no doubt. My wife has a crush on her bigly and we would be thrilled to see her as POTUS. This is not personal. But we both have grave concerns that this country will not elect a woman and certainly not a Black woman, and women will likely be her downfall. Women, minority groups, we all eat our own, it's not even a secret. I also think she is a wildcard as a candidate generally and I think there is no way she can be as effective as Joe Biden in the white house. Even if elected, her Admin will be stymied. We are taking a risk on electability but we are guaranteeing a downgrade in leadership at this point and that's not a knock on her leadership potential, it's a recognition that Biden is THAT GOOD. I only hope and pray she keeps the entire administration and they all agree to stay. I'm quite concerned about Ukraine.

6. PREEMPTIVELY, I STILL HATE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE MEDIA. Kamala isn't going to have a cake walk. I predict the media will come at her and I fully expect the Democrats to be mealy mouthed shit for brains competitors and still refuse to hammer the fuck out of Trump. TAKE THE FUCKING GLOVES OFF and tell the American electorate - the choice is democracy or a child rapist, convicted felon, insurrectionist, Project 2025 dehumanize all non-Christians, women, LBGTQ folks, etc. thug - Americans it's time to save your country from the Handmaid's Tale.

I fucking hate this shit. HATE IT.

yes-girl-new-york.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, troph said:

1. FUCK THE MEDIA. Biden is old, okay. So is Trump. The fucking media is all over Biden. Until that Guardian clip above you had to rely on viral media to find Trump gaffs which are more plenty than Biden's and have been going on longer than Biden.

2. FUCK THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Stop eating your own. The drumbeat by purists inside the party created this. Republicans are rallied around a rapist, convicted felon, pathological liar, insurrectionist, senile old man and NO ONE is beating that drum loud enough. Biden has a near undefeated record in politics, his instincts and that of his team are the best in the business. He hasn't even really started campaigning and the party trashes him, for what? See point 5 below.

3. FUCK THE DEMOCRATS AND MEDIA FOR LEGITIMIZING TRUMP. He's a sham candidate, a farce, a fucking convicted felon. Why on EARTH did you agree to debate that piece of shit? Every time Trump gets coverage, he gains legitimacy. Every time folks play by the old rules and he breaks them, he gets legitimacy because he's associated by proximity to the institution - in this case the institution of a presidential debate. He gets on stage and vomits lies and yet we play by the standard debate rules with "impartiality" - fuck that nonsense. He needs to be sidelined.

4. BIDEN STEPS DOWN WITH THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ADMINISTRATION IN MY LIFETIME. Holy shit. If he can only operate 9am - 4pm, so fucking what? His administration is light years better than any POTUS Administration in my life time and second isn't even close. Yet here we are, he's being forced to step down. NO ONE is beating the drum about his record, it's PHENOMENAL. It's EXACTLY what we need for 4 more years.

5. LOVE HARRIS, BUT ... Kamala is a fan favorite at our house, no doubt. My wife has a crush on her bigly and we would be thrilled to see her as POTUS. This is not personal. But we both have grave concerns that this country will not elect a woman and certainly not a Black woman, and women will likely be her downfall. Women, minority groups, we all eat our own, it's not even a secret. I also think she is a wildcard as a candidate generally and I think there is no way she can be as effective as Joe Biden in the white house. Even if elected, her Admin will be stymied. We are taking a risk on electability but we are guaranteeing a downgrade in leadership at this point and that's not a knock on her leadership potential, it's a recognition that Biden is THAT GOOD. I only hope and pray she keeps the entire administration and they all agree to stay. I'm quite concerned about Ukraine.

6. PREEMPTIVELY, I STILL HATE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE MEDIA. Kamala isn't going to have a cake walk. I predict the media will come at her and I fully expect the Democrats to be mealy mouthed shit for brains competitors and still refuse to hammer the fuck out of Trump. TAKE THE FUCKING GLOVES OFF and tell the American electorate - the choice is democracy or a child rapist, convicted felon, insurrectionist, Project 2025 dehumanize all non-Christians, women, LBGTQ folks, etc. thug - Americans it's time to save your country from the Handmaid's Tale.

This should all just be put on repeat.  Over and over.

Imagine Harris replaces Biden and then does poorly in the spotlight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I really like Shapiro, BTW. Kamala+Shapiro is a ticket I could get pretty excited about.

Screenshot2024-07-18at11_22_07AM.thumb.png.72ae4f74fb48d0a9a3abcede73b96a25.png

I know it's 30 years later, but somehow the Drudge Report gets inside information and leaks it first, so maybe this is something!

I'm thinking, as memory serves, they were the ones that leaked the Monica Lewinsky back before "leaking online" was a thing.

Edited by Vegas64

6 minutes ago, swraith said:

That’s the risk that has to be taken. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Kamala is the nominee I think they have to go all in on her blackness.  Black turnout in Atlanta, Detroit, and Philly could be the difference in the election.  Trump has no path to victory without at least one of PA, MI, or GA.

Biden steps down with grace, heads to PA to stump for Harris.  Harris spends a shitload of time in ATL and Detroit.  Cooper stays mostly in NC.  The momentum carries over to NV and AZ.  Harris/Cooper win with 319 EV.

I'll caveat by saying 1) I agree with you competely just playign devil's advocate and b) I think our best bet is Biden/Harris still.

But the question from your post is-- is she ATL / Detroit / Philly type black? To take from the recent reports from the other VP, she seems more likely to have a kid named Vivek than Darrel, and she was a former cop which the GQP memes as a horrible thing while also purporting to be the party of "Back the Blue" so the irony is THICK

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A perfect political move would be for Biden to announce today that he's stepping down to pull attention away from Trump's speech tonight. But there may be honor among thieves to somewhat keep quiet during the other convention.  

i think Biden announcing today would put more attention on Trump's speech tonight. i have zero interest in Trump's speech, but if Joe announces today that's he's dropping out, i think i'd tune in to see what Trump says about it. because that's all he'll talk about. 

"I beat Sleepy Joe so bad in that debate that he had to drop out. He couldn't take it.  They even tried to assassinate me but it didn't help Sleepy Joe's number, so he's putting his tail between his legs and dropping out like a dog.  He's a coward."  

it'll be brutal.  and i'd probably (unfortunately) tune in for it.  i think a lot of people would.

so if Biden steps aside, i hope they don't give Trump the ability to gloat about it tonight.  he'll gloat when it happens, but not at their fucking convention.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I know, can you imagine? She might even confuse the Secretary of Defense with a Supreme Court Justice or tell a crowd that she’s capped rent increases at $55.
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s the risk that has to be taken. 

now it is. but it didn't have to be fait accompli.

and I get the age issue, but if the party rallied around Joe and his accomplishments instead of doing what they did, we'd already be much better off. the complicity of the party and the media and most specifically left leaning media did this.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

and I get the age issue, but if the party rallied around Joe and his accomplishments instead of doing what they did, we'd already be much better off. the complicity of the party and the media and most specifically left leaning media did this.

Biden and his inner circle did this. He has lost his fastball and they kept it under wraps for over a year. The first 30 seconds of the debate were shocking. He looked like a corpse, moved like a corpse, and spoke with a whisper. 

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, troph said:

And if Biden hadn't completely sucked ass in the debate we wouldn't be here. Everyone wants to blame the media for something we all saw with our own eyes. Yeah, he's still better than Trump. But not to people other than diehard Democrats. You can't win an election in swing states with just those people. Biden's performance in that debate put a magnifying glass on his age and made it the single greatest negative in his ledger. He steps down, you remove that negative. You put the negative then on Trump for his old age since being himself doesn't really seem to be an issue any longer. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I'm ready for this face to come out before she eviscerates him for being a felon at their first debate

giphy.gif

Trump won't debate anyone not named Biden. The GOP and Trump's opinion will be that any replacement is invalid. This would be their position that they would take the SCOTUS if they lost in Nov.

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

Biden and his inner circle did this. He has lost his fastball and they kept it under wraps for over a year. The first 30 seconds of the debate were shocking. He looked like a corpse, moved like a corpse, and spoke with a whisper. 

no they didn't "do this" because on the other side you have all of that (old senile man) PLUS convicted felon, rapist, child rapist, insurrectionist, etc. etc. and not a peep about him being unfit for office.

If you rank ordered the two candidates in who should objectively step down from the campaign it's Trump first and Biden second and NO ONE is clamoring for Trump to step down. and the back drop is Biden has objectively had the best 4 year run of any president in our lifetimes with a scandal free Administration that has knocked it out of the park.

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump won't debate anyone not named Biden. The GOP and Trump's opinion will be that any replacement is invalid. This would be their position that they would take the SCOTUS if they lost in Nov.

They can argue that but the candidate for president is the one selected by the party at the nomination during the convention. That's what the law recognizes. And if he doesn't agree to the debate, there is nothing stopping Kamala from asking for a full 2 hours on primetime TV when the debate would've been to argue her case uncontested. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, troph said:

no they didn't "do this" because on the other side you have all of that (old senile man) PLUS convicted felon, rapist, child rapist, insurrectionist, etc. etc. and not a peep about him being unfit for office.

If you rank ordered the two candidates in who should objectively step down from the campaign it's Trump first and Biden second and NO ONE is clamoring for Trump to step down. and the back drop is Biden has objectively had the best 4 year run of any president in our lifetimes with a scandal free Administration that has knocked it out of the park.

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

You're living in a world where things should be a certain way. But it's not that way like the gif above says. For some reason, Trump's crimes and personality are not held against him. You just have to make peace with that reality. No one is clamoring for Trump to step down because he IS the Republican Party now. They should just rename it The Trump Party. 

And I will argue that a lot of people in here need to step out of their bubbles and see what's happening in the real world. The economy is not as great as you may think. Yes, inflation has come down but shit is still expensive. That is not Biden's fault but he'll get the blame just like any president does when people feel the economy is not good for them. Housing is out of control. Grocery prices are high. Homelessness is rampant in big cities. All of that has an effect on the middle to lower class. That's where Biden is failing. Why if things are so great are people not behind Biden? It's not just the media's fault. It's the entire messaging that Biden puts out.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

he’s had terrible polling related to age/mental ability for 2+ years and went on stage and confirmed everyone’s worst fears. 

he’s done an awesome job legislatively and done an atrocious job getting on tv/tiktok and telling everyone. You don’t win re-election by hiding away in Delaware for the last 2 years of your presidency. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I really like Shapiro, BTW. Kamala+Shapiro is a ticket I could get pretty excited about.

Screenshot2024-07-18at11_22_07AM.thumb.png.72ae4f74fb48d0a9a3abcede73b96a25.png

And come out blasting w both barrels

too soon?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

he’s had terrible polling related to age/mental ability for 2+ years and went on stage and confirmed everyone’s worst fears. 

he’s done an awesome job legislatively and done an atrocious job getting on tv/tiktok and telling everyone. You don’t win re-election by hiding away in Delaware for the last 2 years of your presidency. 

waynes world party GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

he's not the only one with terrible polling, he's just the only one with allies eating him alive. FUCK man, even Nikki Haley slobbered all over Trump. Dems SUCK at campaigns, absolutely suck. There *was* a path to help Biden and get the polls up and secure victory, but the Dems pissed that away attacking their own. Now we have a brokered convention and total wildcard election coming for the most important election of our lifetimes. Good job Dems. FUCK.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biden has been a great President but a horrible candidate. And it's not like he was a good candidate in 2020. He just wasn't Trump.

when was the last time Biden lost an election?

46 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Tbf there’s a porn forum and stupid shit from Facebook thread. Hard to maintain focusness

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Stop arguing that Biden is doing well.

Policy wise I thinks he's done very well. Current health and optics are shit. I still think he has the capacity to do the job, but I also think he's unelectable at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

you aren't wrong about the differences in the party participants. it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

when trump incites an insurrection and breaks numerous criminal laws stemming from stealing classified docs, paying off a porn star he fucked around on his pregnant wife with, and trying to intimidate a state secretary of state into falsifying an election outcome, the supreme court says he's immune, a federal judge dismisses a case, a state party gets the d.a. put on trial for an affair, and the party rallies around him being a criminal piece of shit and wears it like a badge.

when biden has a bad night at a debate, we get everything from competing 100 page wannabe thinkpieces crawling all over each other from every national media outlet down to surly cr folks losing their minds on message boards. no attempt at spin and rallying to the cause whatsoever.

strong argument for dems to say "hey, we are better than them and we are not subject to a cult of personality like them." that would generally be my position. and fwiw, i think it is obvious that if there was a clear torch bearer to take over for biden, it is the likely outcome.

but in the world of presidential electoral politics, i am somewhat curious to see how this one plays out because gotv matters a lot in this one and if all the marginal folks become ambivalent after witnessing their zealous left leaning friends become despondent while their culty weirdo friends that want to suck donald trump's dick are fully on board, then the ability to mobilize the (minority, but unwavering core) cult may be enough.

the narrative is now all about biden being old and trump being shot at when the narrative should be women being hunted on inter-state roads for seeking medical care and republicans crowing about mental health needs leading to people being needlessly murdered by mass shooters on the reg while making absolutely no effort to actually create resources to actually confront it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, troph said:

he's not the only one with terrible polling, he's just the only one with allies eating him alive. FUCK man, even Nikki Haley slobbered all over Trump. Dems SUCK at campaigns, absolutely suck. There *was* a path to help Biden and get the polls up and secure victory, but the Dems pissed that away attacking their own. Now we have a total wildcard election coming.

Correct. Dems will have to unite behind Harris now and actually focus on Trump. I have doubts that they can do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1