2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Claire McCaskill and Jen Psaki are on msnbc and both are saying everyone they are talking with say it's Kamala, even though nobody has said that publicly. 

I have a strong preference for the mini-primary idea. I think it will produce a stronger candidate in the end, even if it's Kamala prevailing in that contest. Everyone tries out their best Trump attack. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m not sitting here imagining all the Moms 4 Liberty suburban white women voting Dem. But there are a lot of very normal ones who will. Because of Dobbs. Because Project 2025. Etc. 

not to go backward but this election for the Dems is two things (with the candidate third):

1. anti-trump

2. Dobbs/Project 2025

3. the candidate

I didn't like the wildcard aspect of replacing Biden but hell, this thing will be won or lost on points 1 and 2 and I agree I think Harris will clean house with the women vote this time.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

I have a strong preference for the mini-primary idea. I think it will produce a stronger candidate in the end, even if it's Kamala prevailing in that contest. Everyone tries out their best Trump attack. 

Agree. She’s much stronger emerging from a contested convention, even if Kayfabe

Posted (edited)

For those who don't think a lot of the Hillary hatred was based on misogyny, you probably never browsed CR on the old board. Some of their favorite memes were based on her riding a broomstick, wearing a witch's hat, etc. It was full-bore brain-dead he-man women-hater shit like this:

image.png.3fe0ccd7166d82e288776fa5674dfa28.png

image.thumb.png.12add926a1c22fdb34365db23b3eed8c.png

image.thumb.png.bc1904c27b2589330977445024903892.png

image.png.e86c1d36c4a3a2a597f63e7806652d23.png

image.thumb.png.0caf381473709af9dac09fb13f50c553.png

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

This is the worst idea and your preference is wrong. So there 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Agree. She’s much stronger emerging from a contested convention, even if Kayfabe

No one comes out stronger from a contested convention. It makes the party look like a bunch of morons 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one comes out stronger from a contested convention. It makes the party look like a bunch of morons 

You’re going to, what, break up the Biden campaign infrastructure amongst candidates or make them sit around and wait a month to see who wins and if the candidate wants them and what they’ve been doing/building for 4 years? And what about all the money and booked TV time if Harris doesn’t win it?

• Hook 'Em 6

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nah. His sycophants are just going to press the “he’s a changed man, touched by god” angle. 

After 9 years the media still cannot help themselves.

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m not sitting here imagining all the Moms 4 Liberty suburban white women voting Dem. But there are a lot of very normal ones who will. Because of Dobbs. Because Project 2025. Etc. 

Lou Dobbs is dead.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

not to go backward but this election for the Dems is two things (with the candidate third):

1. anti-trump

2. Dobbs/Project 2025

3. the candidate

I didn't like the wildcard aspect of replacing Biden but hell, this thing will be won or lost on points 1 and 2 and I agree I think Harris will clean house with the women vote this time.

The issue I have with this logic is you're relying 100% on Dems to win the election.

I think anti-Trump is last for many independents.  My ranking would be:

1. the candidate

2. Dobbs - 

3. Project 2025 

4. Trump

Separated Dobbs and Project 2025 because I think they influence different people different ways (aside from the obvious national abortion ban in P2025).

Trump is last because I think a lot of us see him as nothing more than a puppet at this point.  We're not worried about him as much as the people surrounding him...IE Project 2025.

Trump, if he actually followed his beliefs, wouldn't be that bad.  He doesn't care about abortion, and when he gets off message on immigration, he has a few decent ideas, like automatic Green Cards for immigrants who earn a degree in the US.  Then his handlers scold him and the next day he changes course to propose an immigrant fighting league.

Just now, DixonHur said:

The issue I have with this logic is you're relying 100% on Dems to win the election.

1. the candidate

2. Dobbs - 

3. Project 2025 

4. Trump

Separated Dobbs and Project 2025 because I think they influence different people different ways (aside from the obvious national abortion ban in P2025).

Trump is last because I think a lot of us see him as nothing more than a puppet at this point.  We're not worried about him as much as the people surrounding him...IE Project 2025.

Trump, if he actually followed his beliefs, wouldn't be that bad.  He doesn't care about abortion, and when he gets off message on immigration, he has a few decent ideas, like automatic Green Cards for immigrants who earn a degree in the US.  Then his handlers scold him and the next day he changes course to propose an immigrant fighting league.

I don't believe those promises for one second

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Trump is on oxy, and the person that wrote this is smoking crack

that's a bunch of horseshit. Trump's number one negative is he is a total piece of shit. His campaign is smart to try and soften his image. It's bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Maybe somewhere in that narcissistic brain of his the ear shot made Trump realize what a dupe and a patsy he really is. 

I’ve never believed for a moment that Trump has any strong convictions behind the shit he says. Trump is it for one thing…Trump. He’s just a useful narcissist and he got fed a bunch of shit to say that fed that insatiable fire. 

Now maybe he realizes what he’s stepped in. 

naaaaah

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Just watched the Biden/Trump episode of Kill Tony. 

omfg. Tears of laughter. Do yourself a favor and go watch it. /csb

It would be helpful if a link were provided for those of us who are unfamiliar with Kill Tony.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

1. the candidate

2. Dobbs - 

3. Project 2025 

4. Trump

I think you underestimate the anti-trump sentiment. we have soft Dems now who are Dems for anti-trump only. Think the former RNC chair, think the Lincoln Project. Anti-trump is the number one issue for men who will vote for the Dem nominee, regardless of their enthusiasm. 

For women it's no worse than second.

Anti-trump is number 1, I'm 100% convinced of that.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Maybe somewhere in that narcissistic brain of his the ear shot made Trump realize what a dupe and a patsy he really is. 

I’ve never believed for a moment that Trump has any strong convictions behind the shit he says. Trump is it for one thing…Trump. He’s just a useful narcissist and he got fed a bunch of shit to say that fed that insatiable fire. 

Now maybe he realizes what he’s stepped in. 

naaaaah

I believe Trump is an opportunist who doesn't let his personal beliefs get in the way of his ambition... or his wallet. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

I think you underestimate the anti-trump sentiment.

Fair, but I think you overestimate it.  

I know too many people in my circle of friends who hate Trump but would rather sit the election out than vote for Biden. 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Not resigning and not endorsing isn’t ideal imo.  Have to look like a well oiled machine. This already looks like chaos.  An open convention will further that. 

I didn’t figure he would resign. But he still has to run the country. If he’s not going to endorse Kamala THOUGH thats  an ugly way to end it for him and the party.

Especially after going to BET and NAACP in the last few days and asking for their support telling them what all he has done for them. 

he will be around the WH as a bitter reminder. Hey I would be bitter too. But goddamn it, Joe, you shouldn’t have run again.

He really is living up to Obama’s alleged statement.

Speaking to a fellow Democrat about Joe Biden being the party’s nominee in 2020, Obama famously warned, “Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f–k things up.” 

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

I know too many people in my circle of friends who hate Trump but would rather sit the election out than vote for Biden. 

And how many of them would vote for Kamala Harris?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DixonHur said:

to be fair, more than half the country won't vote no matter what. they are allowed to have opinions too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Especially after going to BET and NAACP in the last few days and asking for their support telling them what all he has done for them. 

His big quote from the NAACP was that President and vice president of the United States IS a black job. Not endorsing Kamala would be stabbing them in the back, because he’s saying she’s qualified but then not endorsing for her the job she’s in actually in line for 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It would be helpful if a link were provided for those of us who are unfamiliar with Kill Tony.

I didn't have one when I posted. My kid watches it all the time and I was watching with him. A very quick google search led me here ...

ETA: btw iirc there is no Kill Tony thread on the surl, which absolutely blows my mind. It might be the most surly-esque show/podcast ever.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

For those who don't think a lot of the Hillary hatred was based on misogyny, you probably never browsed CR on the old board. Some of their favorite memes were based on her riding a broomstick, wearing a witch's hat, etc. It was full-bore brain-dead he-man women-hater shit like this:

image.png.3fe0ccd7166d82e288776fa5674dfa28.png

image.thumb.png.12add926a1c22fdb34365db23b3eed8c.png

image.thumb.png.bc1904c27b2589330977445024903892.png

image.png.e86c1d36c4a3a2a597f63e7806652d23.png

image.thumb.png.0caf381473709af9dac09fb13f50c553.png

And some people who were exposed to that garbage over the years came away thinking that she’s just got so much “baggage.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And how many of them would vote for Kamala Harris?

all of them will say it.

Just now, DixonHur said:

I think all of them.

will all of them actually vote?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

And some people who were exposed to that garbage over the years came away thinking that she’s just got so much “baggage.”

Yup, that's how propaganda works.  Say something enough times and it becomes true.

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And what is the basis for that?  But you're saying they'd vote for Harris or someone else?  That's just regarded.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Claire McCaskill and Jen Psaki are on msnbc and both are saying everyone they are talking with say it's Kamala, even though nobody has said that publicly. 

This would be the best outcome.  Let all the rumored candidates come out forcefully behind Harris and let's fucking win this election on that momentum.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

And what is the basis for that?  But you're saying they'd vote for Harris or someone else?  That's just regarded.

Never underestimate the average voter. They actively find reasons NOT to vote. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not arguing the validity of the position.  Basically, most of them thought Biden was too old... then the debate happened, and they noped out.

The only other person I've heard them say they don't like is Newsome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

His big quote from the NAACP was that President and vice president of the United States IS a black job. Not endorsing Kamala would be stabbing them in the back, because he’s saying she’s qualified but then not endorsing for her the job she’s in actually in line for 

Yes. I would feel hugely betrayed. 

they basically put Kamala in witsec the last 4 years. And when it’s time to run again and have a primary Biden did not pass the torch as he said he would do. And not only that was largely absent from public eye not using the WH as the best home court advantage to campaign from. 

then when 3 weeks (a fucking lifetime in politics if a story doesn’t die in 10 days) have rolled by with everyone pretty much encouraging him to drop out he rolls to Delaware with Covid becoming more insulated and it is alleged he won’t endorse her after pandering to the black base in desperation after the wheels came off the campaign. That will be his legacy. And that’s ugly. 

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

Is the only place the story that Biden won't endorse Harris an unsourced tweet from a Newsmax reporter?  

So far, yeah. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

1) we haven’t had a real contested convention in 72 years

2) the closest we’ve come in the last 40 was 2008, when there was a credentials fight that would have led to a contested convention. That turned out fine.

3) Are you kidding? Americans are messy bitches who live for drama.  A contested convention in this environment would be must-see TV and imbue the winner with momentum and an aura of victory. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What in the actual fuck? Who are these morons? They need a foot in their ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The problem right now is there are two candidates who voters are sitting around having to ask themselves "well how bad can it really be?"

That's the problem in a nutshell and as of tonight only one party can fix that.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1