2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

It’s just confusing because your friends HATE Trump, but will willingly help out him back in the WH. Assuming they aren’t dim AF, they understand what a disaster that proposition is for us and future generations. Like a 6-3 or 7-2 SCOTUS packed with Justices like Alito and Thomas are currently, but just don’t care? But they DO care enough if it’s Kamala Harris on the ballot?

I would vote for Stoops/Switzer over Trump if they were Dems.

Yeah I'd vote for Kamala, and I can't stand her, fwiw. People can vote for whomever they want, but they need to stop being pussies and get out and do it. Now, possibly more than ever.

Edited by wood

6 minutes ago, wood said:

What in the actual fuck? Who are these morons? They need a foot in their ass.

Why?  Because they have a different opinion than you?  Voting isn't an obligation (although I think it should be), and believe it or not, not everyone is running around like a chicken with their head cut off.  

I don't share their opinion either, but they are all highly educated adults who can make up their own minds about whether or not they want to vote.  

Not sure why that's so hard to understand.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Why?  Because they have a different opinion than you?  Voting isn't an obligation (although I think it should be), and believe it or not, not everyone is running around like a chicken with their head cut off.  

I don't share their opinion either, but they are all highly educated adults who can make up their own minds about whether or not they want to vote.  

Nobody's questioning their right to not vote. It's just fucking stupid. It's not that hard to understand. 

It's also a copout. "Hey, I didn't vote for ______. Don't blame me for this shitshow" ... no matter who wins.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, scottsins said:

It’s just confusing because your friends HATE Trump, but will willingly help out him back in the WH. Assuming they aren’t dim AF, they understand what a disaster that proposition is for us and future generations. Like a 6-3 or 7-2 SCOTUS packed with Justices like Alito and Thomas are currently, but just don’t care? But they DO care enough if it’s Kamala Harris on the ballot?

I would vote for Stoops/Switzer over Trump if they were Dems.

Most aren't political or overly informed. Most don't like Trump, but also don't find an 81 year old with age related mental issues particularly appealing.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If they're highly educated they should understand that not voting for Joe Biden helps Donald Trump.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

It’s just confusing because your friends HATE Trump

They hate Trump, the person, but they've never really been Biden fans either, so while most of them voted Biden in 2020 even though they thought he was too old then, the debate put them over the edge.  

Most of these people also lean (~55/45) conservative so they'd be minimally impacted by a 2nd Trump Presidency.

I'm just relaying anecdotal information, not trying to defend them or their stances.

• Hook 'Em 2

The issue I have with this logic is you're relying 100% on Dems to win the election.
I think anti-Trump is last for many independents.  My ranking would be:
1. the candidate
2. Dobbs - 
3. Project 2025 
4. Trump
Separated Dobbs and Project 2025 because I think they influence different people different ways (aside from the obvious national abortion ban in P2025).
Trump is last because I think a lot of us see him as nothing more than a puppet at this point.  We're not worried about him as much as the people surrounding him...IE Project 2025.
Trump, if he actually followed his beliefs, wouldn't be that bad.  He doesn't care about abortion, and when he gets off message on immigration, he has a few decent ideas, like automatic Green Cards for immigrants who earn a degree in the US.  Then his handlers scold him and the next day he changes course to propose an immigrant fighting league.

Ummm….Trump doesn’t have any beliefs, other than scorn for all other humans (with some hierarchy based on race and class), and complete and total love of himself. See below:

I’ve never believed for a moment that Trump has any strong convictions behind the shit he says. Trump is it for one thing…Trump. He’s just a useful narcissist and he got fed a bunch of shit to say that fed that insatiable fire. 

This.
I believe Trump is an opportunist who doesn't let his personal beliefs get in the way of his ambition... or his wallet. 

And all of this.

Trump is pure id. That’s it. There’s nothing else, no deep or complex thought.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, DixonHur said:

They hate Trump, the person, but they've never really been Biden fans either, so while most of them voted Biden in 2020 even though they thought he was too old then, the debate put them over the edge.  

Most of these people also lean (~55/45) conservative so they'd be minimally impacted by a 2nd Trump Presidency.

I'm just relaying anecdotal information, not trying to defend them or their stances.

Ohhhhhh, I get it . . . they're Republicans.

That clears things up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

If they're highly educated they should understand that not voting for Joe Biden helps Donald Trump.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.  Whether right or wrong, not everyone is as worried about Trump as most of us are.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lou Dobbs is dead.

A) thank god. He was a terrible American.

b) in light of the post above regarding the recent kind media treatment/descriptions of trump, any psych experts here? I’m curious if a narcissist psyche can be broken. It’s one thing to spew hate and vitriol with no repercussions for an entire lifetime but this bully literally just got punched/hit in the head. I think the recent media descriptions of a subdued trump might be true; his own party member shot at him, what does that say about regular folk who hate him?! I have to think that messes up a narcissist but I’m as far from an expert as one can be. 

Just now, achooloco said:

A) thank god. He was a terrible American.

b) in light of the post above regarding the recent kind media treatment/descriptions of trump, any psych experts here? I’m curious if a narcissist psyche can be broken. It’s one thing to spew hate and vitriol with no repercussions for an entire lifetime but this bully literally just got punched/hit in the head. I think the recent media descriptions of a subdued trump might be true; his own party member shot at him, what does that say about regular folk who hate him?! I have to think that messes up a narcissist but I’m as far from an expert as one can be. 

It’s impossible to “mess up a narcissist.” They’re a narcissist because of their unflappable certainty and single-minded certainty they’re special and infallible. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s impossible to “mess up a narcissist.” They’re a narcissist because of their unflappable certainty and single-minded certainty they’re special and infallible. 

Fair. I guess I always pictured narcissists more like bullies, where when they get popped in the mouth they cave. But yeah I hear what you are saying. 

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Minimally impacted until he does some insane shit like impose massive tariffs on all goods. To assume that a Trump presidency isn’t going to be anything other than a giant disaster is foolish.

It's not like he doesn't have a track record.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Ohhhhhh, I get it . . . they're Republicans.

That clears things up.

Most of them were, but disavowed the GOP and now have no party affiliation.

Much like me, but my pendulum stayed more on the liberal side.

I grew up in a very conservative household (like William F. Buckley Jr. conservative), but I was kinda the black sheep in the family.  I was big into new wave, skating and the Dallas club scene. 

But when I got to UT, I was looking for a group to belong to, so I joined the Young Conservatives.  Then I failed out and joined the military.

When I got back to UT I roomed with 2 HS buddies who were extremely liberal, and I worked at the very liberal Chuy's on Barton Springs.  That experience made me realize that while I still had some conservative carryover from my childhood, I was a liberal at heart, so I swung back to the freak flag crowd of my HS days.

In then, I got my MBA and the fiscal conservative side came out a little more... then Hollywood brought out the liberal side again, and back and forth it went.  Today, I'm probably 70/30 liberal.

5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Fair. I guess I always pictured narcissists more like bullies, where when they get popped in the mouth they cave. But yeah I hear what you are saying. 

A lot of us know a narcissist. 
this is the best way I’ve seen it put if you know one

IMG_9845.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Which is why other posters called them idiots. 

They're not, they just have a different value system than you or me.

The problem with American politics today is black and white thinking.  Most of us fall in the gray area.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) we haven’t had a real contested convention in 72 years

2) the closest we’ve come in the last 40 was 2008, when there was a credentials fight that would have led to a contested convention. That turned out fine.

3) Are you kidding? Americans are messy bitches who live for drama.  A contested convention in this environment would be must-see TV and imbue the winner with momentum and an aura of victory. 

Cool. None of that gets voters to the polls. In fact, it does the opposite. It creates factions within the party that hurts GOTV efforts and makes it harder to win.

It’s a horrible idea.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A lot of us know a narcissist. 
this is the best way I’ve seen it put if you know one

IMG_9845.jpeg

the perfect embodiment of the party of personal responsibility

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That “different value system” is often “fuck everyone but me, nobody else has any value.”
That’s our core problem. We’re fucking broken. The concept of the common good/the commonwealth isn’t just out of favor, it’s seen as evil.

Agreed.  I'd expand that to human nature is 60% "fuck everyone but me."

Self-preservation is lizard brain stuff.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Good lord to all of you completely perplexed by the "morons" who may stay home rather than vote for a President...who won't be the President. Get out of your bubbles.

There’s nothing perplexing about it. It doesn’t change that they are morons or assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Goddammit, focus. Assume goal is defeat dotard in November. Assume Biden demurs this weekend. Assume he remains president for remainder of his term. What is way to defeat dotard in November? 

Agreed.  I'd expand that to human nature is 60% "fuck everyone but me."
Self-preservation is lizard brain stuff.

The dumbest part about it is that it’s a fail of base-level game theory. Looking out only for yourself…at the expense of the society and social fabric that laid the foundation for the very prosperity and security you’re trying to protect and sustain…fucking smooth-brained idiocy. Tragedy of the commons shit.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Cool. None of that gets voters to the polls. In fact, it does the opposite. It creates factions within the party that hurts GOTV efforts and makes it harder to win.

It’s a horrible idea.

Number 3 gets people to the polls and there is literally no evidence in the last 100 years that a contested convention hurt anything other than feelings. How would it hurt GOTV vs annointment? It creates factions? We already have them. Parties exist to consolidate factions. They do that through trial by combat. Welcome to a world called right now. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

There’s nothing perplexing about it. It doesn’t change that they are morons or assholes. 

Most people barely follow politics (lucky them). And most of this shit doesn't effect their dad-to-day (until it does). Should they be more engaged and forward-thinking? Sure...I guess. Hard to get mad at them for living a life of blissful ignorance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

They're not, they just have a different value system than you or me.

The problem with American politics today is black and white thinking.  Most of us fall in the gray area.

I’m in the gray area. I also realize that “dismantling democracy” is a one-issue vote if there ever was one, and I’m behaving accordingly. Anyone who doesn’t is an idiot or a fascist. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The dumbest part about it is that it’s a fail of base-level game theory. Looking out only for yourself…at the expense of the society and social fabric that laid the foundation for the very prosperity and security you’re trying to protect and sustain…fucking smooth-brained idiocy. Tragedy of the commons shit.

What's especially interesting is that I just read an article yesterday theorizing that human consciousness developed as a way to build social cohesion.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Most people barely follow politics (lucky them). And most of this shit doesn't effect their dad-to-day (until it does). Should they be more engaged and forward-thinking? Sure...I guess. Hard to get mad at them for living a life of blissful ignorance. 

Calm as Hindu cows? 

ignorance should never be envied. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m in the gray area. I also realize that “dismantling democracy” is a one-issue vote if there ever was one, and I’m behaving accordingly. Anyone who doesn’t is an idiot or a fascist. 

You're operating under the assumption that everyone (aside from fascists and idiots) are in favor of democracy.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Most people barely follow politics (lucky them). And most of this shit doesn't affect their dad-to-day (until it does). Should they be more engaged and forward-thinking? Sure...I guess. Hard to get mad at them for living a life of blissful ignorance. 

I don’t think that really applies to the people Dixon is talking about. They clearly are engaged in some way but they can’t get themselves to vote for Biden because a Trump presidency likely doesn’t affect them that much. Basically they don’t care about the people it does affect. That makes them assholes 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Is that what I said?

kind seems like it? 

Hard to get mad at them for living a life of blissful ignorance. 

Don’t get mad vs. envy seems like quibbling but if you like I’ll amend it to “hard to blame their blissful ignorance?”