2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If democracy is on the ballot in every election, is it really a democracy? 

Cake or death challenge every four years isn’t much of a participatory system of government. 

Yet we have folks on the board who will give us pedantic takes on the vagaries of communism, but still consider the US a democracy despite the electoral college and citizens united.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Katzneberg allegedly met with Biden in Nevada yesterday before the Covid and told him the money is drying up. And it was bad. K is his buddy. He wasn’t telling him like the politicians to drop out bc they worry about their own ticket. He wasn’t pointing to polls. That don’t mean shit this far out. He was saying we are fucked because there is no more money. 

Don is up five points. Not insurmountable but unprecedented for him

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yet we have folks on the board who will give us pedantic takes on the vagaries of communism, but still consider the US a democracy despite the electoral college and citizens united.

I'm sorry I tried to educate you. My bad. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Is this a fucking joke? Why the fuck would zelensky talk to trump? 

He sees the same polls as the rest of us. He has his country to think about. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is this a fucking joke? Why the fuck would zelensky talk to trump? 

You wouldn’t plead your case if you were Zelensky on the off chance that Trump Is elected? You wouldn’t try to talk to him? Open a dialogue?

We can hate Trump all we want but if he is elected it doesn’t help Zelensky to not have some kind of dialogue with Trump just in case. other leaders around the world are watching all this and thinking the same. Many I’m sure are talking to or have talked to Kamala too. Or will be talking to whomever comes out of the convention as nominee for President. You have to open a dialogue and plead your case. I don’t see that as Zelensky doing something wrong. Other world leaders already have a dialogue with Trump bc he was President or bc he was shot. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

It would be malpractice for him not to try to be prepared for a Trump administration.

Hes fucked if Trump gets elected. Does he just want to confirm ahead of time how fucked he is? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

It would be malpractice for him not to try to be prepared for a Trump administration.

Can't we just send him some lube? Should prepare him well enough.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Can't we just send him some lube? Should prepare him well enough.

The republicans in the House would block any aid package, particularly lube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

It’s Trumpian or Dotardian party and most of them will do what he tells them to do. Pretty much. Thats my understanding of where Republican Party is, it is his party. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

All anal sex should be dry, just how our nations founders intended!

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hes fucked if Trump gets elected. Does he just want to confirm ahead of time how fucked he is? 

He probably wants to get a commitment of some kind on record. Then he'll know where he stands and which actual allies he can rely on. It will probably be most of NATO outside of our dipshit country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm sorry I tried to educate you. My bad. 

You're missing the point.  

What you're doing is exactly what's wrong with the messaging of Democratic party. 

You can't appeal to people using pedantic, and academic arguments.  What people FEEL is more important than trying to make them understand minute details.

The Czech people who lived under "communism", don't care about the dictionary definition.  They care about their experience.  And for many of the older working class, they felt more secure before the wall fell.  The younger generation is different, but all they've known is capitalism and democracy.

Here, a lot of working class people feel like things are going in the wrong direction... Immigration, higher prices, etc  They're not interested in a Harvard economist explaining that the inflation is not Biden's fault, or that immigration is a net positive to the economy, or that they live in the richest country on earth.  

That's not their experience, so they gravitate to the party speaking to them on their level.

You might not like that, but the sooner you and the Democratic party realize that, the better.

Obama and Bill Clinton got that, so not sure why the Dems went back to their old tricks in 2016.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What you're doing is exactly what's wrong with the messaging of Democratic party. 

You can't appeal to people using pedantic, and academic arguments.  What people FEEL is more important than trying to make them understand minute details.

The Czech people who lived under "communism", don't care about the dictionary definition.  They care about their experience.  And for many of the older working class, they felt more secure before the wall fell.  The younger generation is different, but all they've known is capitalism and democracy.

Here, a lot of working class people feel like things are going in the wrong direction... Immigration, higher prices, etc  They're not interested in a Harvard economist explaining that the inflation is not Biden's fault, or that immigration is a net positive to the economy, or that they live in the richest country on earth.  

That's not their experience, so they gravitate to the party speaking to them on their level.

You might not like that, but the sooner you and the Democratic party realize that, the better.

Obama and Bill Clinton got that, so not sure why the Dems went back to their old tricks in 2016.

1) I wasn't talking to the old Czech couple, I was talking to you. 

2) you've said independents like yourself don't vote based on emotion. Your story isnt consistent. 

3) I'm not a democrat. 

But, yes. I get propaganda works. People like that Czech couple will believe things that aren't true. They will long for a past that didn't really exist (e.g., the better 50s that conservatives always yearn for). 

As to appealing to emotion, I tried to point out that is exactly why the Democrats should rally around Biden. Your belief that some other candidate will somehow grab the mythical rational independents is nonsense. The democrats just need to find one person and rally around them. It literally doesn't matter who that person is so far as they all tell the same story, over and over and over. My belief is that Biden was the best chance for them to do that. They fucked that. Maybe they can rally around Harris, but I doubt it. 

WTF does this mean? I’ve heard rumors about Biden’s depo audio that (1) the audio is debate sounding awful and (2) that the audio doesn’t match the transcripts which were published back in March by WaPo. I chalked all that up to conspiracy theory bullshit and just rumors. This doesn’t sound very good. Not at all. I don’t know how credible people here find Politico or the person Kyle that tweeted this. Just sharing it. 

46 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Wife grew up in communism (pics here somewhere).  Totally agree.  ‘Freedom!!!’ only resonates w certain people. 

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

1) I wasn't talking to the old Czech couple, I was talking to you. 

2) you've said independents like yourself don't vote based on emotion. Your story isnt consistent. 

3) I'm not a democrat. 

But, yes. I get propaganda works. People like that Czech couple will believe things that aren't true. They will long for a past that didn't really exist (e.g., the better 50s that conservatives always yearn for). 

As to appealing to emotion, I tried to point out that is exactly why the Democrats should rally around Biden. Your belief that some other candidate will somehow grab the mythical rational independents is nonsense. The democrats just need to find one person and rally around them. It literally doesn't matter who that person is so far as they all tell the same story, over and over and over. My belief is that Biden was the best chance for them to do that. They fucked that. Maybe they can rally around Harris, but I doubt it. 

‘Long for a past that didn’t exist’ is total bullshit.  A lot of communists had it better then vs now.  GTFO

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

‘Long for a past that didn’t exist’ is total bullshit.  A lot of communists had it better then vs now.  GTFO

No it isnt. Certain individuals may have had it better. But Czechs as a whole are in a much better position now. I'm not addressing other nations as some of them were legitimately better off (economically at least) in a stable Soviet Union. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Your friends are liars. They are also assholes, morons, fascists, or a combination of the three. You have shitty people for friends. Deal with it. 

All of Dahobbs’s friends and family are ideologically aligned with him. Hahahah. Give me a fucking break and grow up. Normal people avoid talking about politics in a social setting. Your neighbor might be a closet fascist and you wouldn’t know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No it isnt. Certain individuals may have had it better. But Czechs as a whole are in a much better position now. I'm not addressing other nations as some of them were legitimately better off (economically at least) in a stable Soviet Union. 

Cool.  Czechs are far ahead of Slovaks and Russians as far as then vs now.  Have a few hundred family members who would agree.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

All of Dahobbs’s friends and family are ideologically aligned with him. Hahahah. Give me a fucking break and grow up. Normal people avoid talking about politics in a social setting. Your neighbor might be a closet fascist and you wouldn’t know.

I didn't say I didn't also have some ignorant people for friends. But I know that is what they are. I'm not going to pretend they are anything else. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Cool.  Czechs are far ahead of Slovaks and Russians as far as then vs now.  Have a few hundred family members who would agree.  

Yeah, other nations are in a totally different situation. Being part of a super power has its benefits. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Don't you get it @ChiTownDoc, @Dahobbs knows better than those who lived it.  Those poor bastards just don't know how bad they had it.

You and I just don't understand despite having friends and family in former communist countries.

Sit sit back and let him America-splain everything to you.

• Haha 1

Don't you get it [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention], [mention=803]Dahobbs[/mention] knows better than those who lived it.  Those poor bastards just don't know how bad they had it.
You and I just don't understand despite having friends and family in former communist countries.

The stories do cut both ways. One of my daughter’s friends from college is Romanian. Her grandmother’s hatred for communism and the communists is apparently rather epic to hear.
Every system will create some winners and losers. When that system goes away, the former winners will lament it, the former losers will happily spit on its grave.
  • Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Might want to reread.  I said "I" don't vote based on emotion, or at least try not too.  I'm not an android.

But, never once have I claimed to speak for, or represent all independents.  Being an independent simply means not belonging to one of the political parties.  It's not a monolithic group.  

I'm sure many try to base decisions on facts, but it wouldn't surprise me if most based their decisions on emotions.

To one degree or another we all are, which is why marketing, or in political terms, propaganda works.

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Don't you get it @ChiTownDoc, @Dahobbs knows better than those who lived it.  Those poor bastards just don't know how bad they had it.

I haven't said anything of the sort. I have said that the Czechs specifically are better off. And I'm quite confident as a population they agree. There is a reason they and Poland are the most eager to engage Russia in Ukraine. And I have said that people tend to romanticize the past. Here in the US, the best analogy is the way people view the 50s, which were objectively terrible for large segments of population (e.g., women and minorities). 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The stories do cut both ways. One of my daughter’s friends from college is Romanian. Her grandmother’s hatred for communism and the communists is apparently rather epic to hear.
Every system will create some winners and losers. When that system goes away, the former winners will lament it, the former losers will happily spit on its grave.

No doubt.  

I'd also add that Romania also had other issues at work.  There are reasons beyond communism that led to Nicolae Ceaușescu's execution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Well, you're more than welcome to explain the finer points to them, but they felt like they were taken care of by the state and once "communism" ended many of the working class felt they were worse off.

Remember Brooks from Shawshank? Being incarcerated was basically all he ever knew. He got out and experienced freedom for the first time in decades and decades and couldn’t handle it. He wanted to be institutionalized again.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

. I have said that the Czechs specifically are better off

The youth yes, but the collapse of communism was bad for the majority of those in the working class at the time.  Not surprisingly most of the spoils went to those who'd been in the higher classes during communism. 

We'll see how it plays out, but the one thing they have going for them in the Czech Republic, and one of the reasons I liked it there, is that they have one of the highest rates of atheism in the world.

But they are starting to veer to the hard right, mostly due to immigration.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Remember Brooks from Shawshank? Being incarcerated was basically all he ever knew. He got out and experienced freedom for the first time in decades and decades and couldn’t handle it. He wanted to be institutionalized again.

Yep.  Raises an interesting question for all of us.  

It's like the book I mentioned before.  The French thought the native tribes had it bad because they lacked the material wealth of Europe, while the native tribes felt bad for the French because they lacked true freedom.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The youth yes, but the collapse of communism was bad for the majority of those in the working class at the time.  Not surprisingly most of the spoils went to those who'd been in the higher classes during communism. 

We'll see how it plays out, but the one thing they have going for them in the Czech Republic, and one of the reasons I liked it there, is that they have one of the highest rates of atheism in the world.

But they are starting to veer to the hard right, mostly due to immigration.

There is no doubt that the initial period after the collapse of the Soviet Union would have been particularly hard. Ultimately, it was a destructive process. While it may have paved the way for overall improvements, it definitely negatively impacted many people. I think you took my comment for something more than was intended. I'm sure that misunderstanding was my fault. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

There is no doubt that the initial period after the collapse of the Soviet Union would have been particularly hard. Ultimately, it was a destructive process. While it may have paved the way for overall improvements, it definitely negatively impacted many people. I think you took my comment for something more than was intended. I'm sure that misunderstanding was my fault. 

Probably a bit of a miscommunication on both sides.

• Hook 'Em 1

the RNC featured Dana White who slapped his wife,

Hulk Hogan whose wife says he abused her,

rapist Trump

+ they just nominated Vance who says women need to stay w/ abusive men.

Democrats are missing the opportunity to get this messaging across.

• Hook 'Em 1

John King’s electoral map analysis was pretty fucking frightening. The only talking heads who are hammering Trump and touting the Dems record are on MSNBC. 

One guy said you gotta go after Trump with the same fervor you’re going after Biden…

he then said… Trump is a convicted felon rapist and liar. Under Biden’s watch real wages up, inflation coming down (troph note - reality is it’s near target not just coming down), retirement accounts at all time highs, everyone is working, access to healthcare is better than it’s ever been, etc.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the RNC featured Dana White who slapped his wife,

Hulk Hogan whose wife says he abused her,

rapist Trump

+ they just nominated Vance who says women need to stay w/ abusive men.

Democrats are missing the opportunity to get this messaging across.

But because the RNC is now over, tomorrow the press is going to go back to full scale “Pass the Torch Joe” stuff. Also most people did not watch his full speech and 1/3 of those who watched the debate watched the speech. And I can’t even know the drop off rate of those that tuned in. 

Thats the issue. The media will spend 5/10 mins on Trump and Vance and will go right back to Joe needs to go. Most of the media.

Normally, either party would love to have a lot of media coverage. For the Dems, they would love if the 24/7 News would break apart Trump’s movie long speech and other stuff. But the media isn’t going to spend much time on it. Tomorrow they will spend a few snippets on it. Heavily edited snippets and it’s back to Joe must pass the torch. Maybe say he’s the same Trump and lies and same rhetoric. Long speech. And it’s right back to pass the torch Joe.

with the Olympics coming up, pass the torch is an easy lazy segue for the media. 

• Rage+1 2