2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Latinos of all stripes really think they  are immune from the “mass deportation” signs at the RNC

You’re not the good ones. You brown, you deported 

Which will come as a shock to a lot of people when Steven Miller has them dumped in the Chihuahua desert, born here or 2nd or 3rd generation, or whatever.  Good luck getting back into the U.S.!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTGrad98 said:

I read this as " young people are going to vote this time, really."

I think its notable, because these were the same folks that were expecting to lose Florida in 20 and 22.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Don’t forget Jason aldean

whatever happened to conservatives getting mad about celebrities giving political opinions?

(rhetorical question. I know they only meant that they don't want to hear liberal opinions.)

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

To be fair - one or both could die before November. A bad case of COVID could easily take Trump out. These guys are OLD. 4 months is a loooong time and a ton of stress.

95% of voters have decided

Itll come down moms in the burbs, getting out the young female vote and immigrants  imo

Any immigrant that doesn’t vote D or Stays at home is one dumb mother fucker. Stephen miller would rather see your entire family  dead than in the us 

Surprising (and or throwing votes)  in Miami, Philadelphia, phoenix, Milwaukee, and Atlanta will also be very huge for the R’s 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gen Z seems to give a shit. They are the generation that got to live through being shot at in schools and lock down drills and it’s only gotten worse. A lot of them are or have been voting age for a bit and should show up this time. Maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Gen Z seems to give a shit. They are the generation that got to live through being shot at in schools and lock down drills and it’s only gotten worse. A lot of them are or have been voting age for a bit and should show up this time. Maybe.

Counting on the youth vote remains lucy charlie brown football shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

95% of voters have decided

Itll come down moms in the burbs, getting out the young female vote and immigrants  imo

Any immigrant that doesn’t vote D or Stays at home is one dumb mother fucker. Stephen miller would rather see your entire family  dead than in the us 

Surprising (and or throwing votes)  in Miami, Philadelphia, phoenix, Milwaukee, and Atlanta will also be very huge for the R’s 

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

the Biden flaw is that he can't easily speak on his platform to protect women's rights and other issues that matter to many. I believe his surrogates can do so but people tune in to hear the candidate not their cabinet officials or senators. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counting on the youth vote remains lucy charlie brown football shit.

Hoping for the youth vote is like hoping demographic shifts will turn Texas blue. No, that shit actually takes work. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the Biden flaw is that he can't easily speak on his platform to protect women's rights and other issues that matter to many. I believe his surrogates can do so but people tune in to hear the candidate not their cabinet officials or senators. 

Gotta deploy Kamala everywhere.  

Her DNC speech has got to be 110% 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Joe Biden is the nominee and staying in the race. Can we focus on Trump?

image.png

and head coaches have the full confidence of the athletic director/owner, until they don't. Or the CEO has the entire board supporting them 100%, until they don't.

A named senior advisor or campaign official will not be the one to announce that Biden is or should consider dropping out.

1 minute ago, Zonahorn said:

Again, just what I’ve heard from the camps working in Florida. I’ll believe it when I see it, but it isn’t impossible.

Florida seems like a black box in this election to me.

Abortion? 

78 and 81 isn’t really that old to them. 

Cognitive decline? They can’t remember what Joe was like anyway.

A felon is running? I mean this is Florida. Who doesn’t have at least a couple felonies.

The handicap shit talk we all grimaced at during the debate, however, might be the deciding factor.

Man. I really feel like the people who assume that Biden is going to step aside this weekend are way ahead of themselves. 

I think most of the articles are bullshit, but plenty of articles already being written and shared feverishly about how biden can't drop it, and legally it's the end for democrats if he does, supreme court will throw shit out, state courts will throw shit out, yada yada yada. The space is flooded with trash, and stubborn old man just might not do it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I love your optimism, and I hope you're right. But historically voters don't turn out to vote against someone, they turn out to vote for someone they're excited to vote for. 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Uh, 2016 and 2020 called. A lot of people turned out to vote against HRC and then Trump

Yeah, in 2016, they made the election about Clinton. In 2020, it was about Trump. For the last three weeks, this election has been about Biden's age. 

What's the best way to turn the election around to being back about the threat of Trump and not Biden's age? I think we all know the answer.

• Hook 'Em 3

MSNBC:

I’ve seen a great many convention speeches from presidential nominees, and I think it’s fair to say Trump’s was the worst. At times, it seemed as if he were trying to make himself even less popular with an American electorate that already holds him in low regard, reminding voters of all the things they don't like about him.
By some measures, this was the best news Democrats have received in weeks. If the former president had demonstrated real leadership on the Republicans’ convention stage, his opponents would have new reason to worry. Instead, in a rather literal sense, Trump simply couldn’t help himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've always thought when people said we are in a simulation, that they were just being funny. Seemed too far fetched. Now I believe there is a non zero chance we are a must see tv show for a highly advanced alien race who has had us in some type of matrix/Truman show since the 50s. Ratings were down in 2019 so here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man. I really feel like the people who assume that Biden is going to step aside this weekend are way ahead of themselves. 

I think most of the articles are bullshit, but plenty of articles already being written and shared feverishly about how biden can't drop it, and legally it's the end for democrats if he does, supreme court will throw shit out, state courts will throw shit out, yada yada yada. The space is flooded with trash, and stubborn old man just might not do it.  

I understand we're dealing with SCOTUS, but can someone explain how they can legally intervene in how a private organization chooses its preferred candidate -- especially if that candidate drops out of the race?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I understand we're dealing with SCOTUS, but can someone explain how they can legally intervene in how a private organization chooses its preferred candidate -- especially if that candidate drops out of the race?

It makes no sense to me either. But Ive seen this shit spread in several spots already. 

https://ncnewsline.com/2024/07/18/if-a-presidential-nominee-drops-out-what-happens-to-states-ballots/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2jnyeASjleOzbG_CRa5mTfN1BSN6oqHxRdCdvQL7f5f26GVKYdbaw5B4U_aem_yRbvChBaBMPtDbKCH7dsFw

how can you fence someone to run? What if  Biden literally died?

At that point, if SCOTUS tries to throw out the entire Dem ticket, Biden has to cancel the election.  Official act, he can do that. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

No, but that hasn't stopped them from fucking with elections with no legal basis in the past. Bush v Gore was complete bullshit, legally speaking, as was the recent decision to keep him on the Colorado ballot.  

Party primaries aren't really solely-private affairs anymore. Primary elections are held on state recognized election days, under applicable state election laws. And I guarantee you there will be some bullshit constitutional claim (maybe that replacing Biden deprives his primary voters of a property right or some shit).  And what is an obviously bullshit legal challenge will transform in no time at all to the new actual law of the land, so long as enough GOP judges and justices think it will benefit Trump.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If any female thinks trump is best for the future of women, they get what’s coming to them 

IMG_1148.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I've always thought when people said we are in a simulation, that they were just being funny. Seemed too far fetched. Now I believe there is a non zero chance we are a must see tv show for a highly advanced alien race who has had us in some type of matrix/Truman show since the 50s. Ratings were down in 2019 so here we are. 

giphy (45).gif

• Like 1

We have way surpassed House of Cards. Veep is less absurd than our current situation. Idiocracy is one choice, but we are reaching South Park levels of nonsensical.

Edited by hookem2010

33 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I seriously doubt it.  They have problems with Biden/Israel among other things.  My only hope is to relentlessly hammer Roe V Wade and the likelihood of a national abortion ban.  THAT might generate some voting interest.

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

every R state, let by Texas / Paxton will go to a right wing Supreme Court asking to remove him from the ballot, with no replacement 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

Biden still has a lot of bullets in the gun before election that can give him tailwind: There WILL be a rate cut, which he can tout for fighting against inflation, the stock market will continue to do numbers, so he can keep talking about the best economy while inflation drops, the USA will dominate in the Olympics which always boosts patriotism and morale that Biden can ride, and the general incumbancy strength will be a buttress-- don't change horses in midstream.

Bro the #merica crowd is very Republican

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I’ll guess state deadlines for one 

This democratic group bough a lot of air time to put out a commercial on MSNBC so Joe could see it. I don’t fucking understand what’s going on. I thought I was watching an SNL bit and it’s a real commercial. Airing mostly in DE and DC to tell Joe to pass the torch. This has to be the simulation and somehow with the Microsoft glitch this is what happened? I don’t have any more words. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/07/19/us/biden-election-news#a-group-urging-biden-to-end-his-candidacy-is-targeting-ads-on-morning-joe

I really thought it was fake until they played it on CNN. What the fuck??????

The [Dem candidate's name here] campaign should buy whole ad blocks and simply run 2-3 minutes of Trump's greatest rambling hits.

That, plus ads highlighting 5-7 of Project 2025's most unpopular planks will give [Dem candidate's name here] a several point boost. And don't be afraid to just say what P2025 is really getting at: ending Social Security, ending Medicare, ENDING public education, criminalizing birth control and IVF, state overlordship of every womb, and ethnic cleansing. Take the fucking gloves off.

I've become disinterested in the Biden will he/won't he melodrama. This election has to be a referrendum on Trump and quelling fascism. Make it about that, and we could put South Austin's mom in the WH. Tie every downballot Pub to Trump in the process, and maybe the Dems with stones can fix the damn system.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Turnout in 2020 was much higher than in 2016, when we estimate (using the same methodology) that 39% of young people cast a ballot. This sizable, 11-point increase builds on young people’s momentum from 2018, when youth turnout was record-setting for a midterm year.

https://circle.tufts.edu/latest-research/half-youth-voted-2020-11-point-increase-2016

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Re: youth vote.  They actually did come out in 2020. Likely the difference maker. 

Black voters.

Black women in particular.

Native Americans in AZ.

They all saved our ass in 2020.  After fucking them over for centuries, America owes its ass to them.  Will they make the effort to save us again?  Why should they, we obviously don't deserve their help.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Black voters.

Native Americans in AZ.

They all saved our ass in 2020.  After fucking them over for centuries, America owes its ass to them.  Will they make the effort to save us again?  Why should they, we obviously don't deserve their help.

Self defense 

13 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Tie every downballot Pub to Trump in the process, and maybe the Dems with stones can fix the damn system.

By all accounts, the issues are mostly at the top of the ticket.  In the polling, Senate Dems and the generic ballot are very favorable for Dems.  I've said before - either Senate Dems will drag Biden across in WI, MI, AZ, PA as Dem-friendly voters come home by November or his issues will torpedo them. 

But I am still very skeptical that the most polarized electorate in American history is going to split their tickets for Senate/House Dems and Trump. 

The occasional state might (like Susan Collins in 2020), but expecting every swing state to do the same? Nah. 

Edited by Js1

Damn, AOC’s video from this morning is very sobering. She confirms the legal challenges in swing states if Biden withdraws. She highlighted that the coup group of Democrats are not united with a plan. She’s basically saying it will be a clusterfuck if he withdraws. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh.  They've been buttfucked by this country, systematically and continuously, for centuries.  They know the drill, they can weather it.

One could credibly argue that an agreement by various groups to defend against an assault on each other's basic civil rights is what holds the Democratic Party together.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Damn, AOC’s video from this morning is very sobering. She confirms the legal challenges in swing states if Biden withdraws. She highlighted that the coup group of Democrats are not united with a plan. She’s basically saying it will be a clusterfuck if he withdraws. 

Re: legal issues. Is it bc of getting the correct name on the ballot? Of the nominee? Bc of when the ballots go out? Is that what she is saying? 

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Black voters.

Native Americans in AZ.

R’s have to have a plan to take away Native American voting rights ?

no polling stations on fed property ?

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Re: legal issues. Is it bc of getting the correct name on the ballot? Of the nominee? Bc of when the ballots go out? Is that what she is saying? 

There's also a deadline in each state for the parties to submit their formal nominees. Ohio was trying to keep Biden off their ballot because the DNC is happening after their date for submitting the names. They could use the same logic in several states to try to prevent Harris or whoever from even appearing on the ballot, which would hurt their chances in those states, and swing the popular vote to Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Could the Democrats have mismanaged the Trump era any worse?  I mean, they will never have a more easily beatable schmuck to run against. They could have gone hard AF and done so much more but they decided to run/crown Hillary Clinton, and Joe Biden twice.  The missed opportunity against this clown movement of racist imbeciles is incomprehensible. Sad!

/Doomer post

• Hook 'Em 2