2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I trust that there is absolutely no way in hell prominent Democrats like Adam Schiff and Jamie Raskin make their statements without the blessing of leadership.  

Pelosi and Schumer have always granted congressional and senatorial Democrats the ability to campaign as they see fit in order to win. Something Jefferies has continued. Congressional Democrats have their blessing to do whatever they think it takes to win their election. As for former speaker Pelosi herself: 

https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/nancy-pelosi-slams-new-york-times-they-make-up-news/57034/

Senator Schumer:

I thought I saw something about the former speaker saying representative Schiff’s announcement was news to her, but I can’t find it right. I’ll add it later if I do

Update from the Teamsters:

I’m grateful for the UPS contract we got, but playing footsie with fascists isn’t something I can support. Will be voting against SOB in the next round of union elections.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The only poll that really matters is this:

you are in a car going 30 mph without brakes. You cannot do anything to stop the car. It’s headed for a cliff (300 foot drop) you have two choices: jump out of the car or stay in it and go off cliff.

Just you know start trying to attract voters that picked jump out of the car, i guess? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

you are in a car going 30 mph without brakes. You cannot do anything to stop the car. It’s headed for a cliff (300 foot drop) you have two choices: jump out of the car or stay in it and go off cliff.

Just you know start trying to attract voters that picked jump out of the car, i guess? 

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The floated alternative by the Anti-Biden crowd are a mini-primary blitz followed by a committee choosing a candidate at the convention to be chaired by Oprah, Taylor Swift, Obama, or Hilary (SERIOUSLY, STOP LAUGHING) or a contested convention where the donors and party elite get to pick (FUCK OUR VOTERS EL-OH-EL). So, no, it isn't jumping out of a car or falling off a cliff. It's jumping out of a car into a spike pit because your passengers are screaming there might be a cliff ahead.

Edited by Zonahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

We are at 35 Democratic members of Congress now. This one is very painful. The ones who don’t want to wait until Monday are doing it now. But this weekend will be a shitshow. Glad I still have 2/3 of a caramel. 

IMG_1567.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

The floated alternative by the Anti-Biden crowd are a mini-primary blitz followed by a committee choosing a candidate at the convention to be chaired by Oprah, Taylor Swift, Obama, or Hilary (SERIOUSLY, STOP LAUGHING) or a contested convention where the donors and party elite get to pick (TO SAVE DEMOCRACY). So, no, it isn't jumping out of a car or falling off a cliff. It's jumping out of a car into a spike pit because your passengers are screaming there might be a cliff ahead.

Team “Biden should quit” don’t seem to realize the risks. It’s not even remotely all upside.

Remember 2016, when the perception that the party had rigged the primaries to favor Hillary over Bernie led to lackluster November turnout? Trump beat that drum repeatedly and it was fucking effective. And in that case, Hillary actually won more delegates in the primaries. 

The “rigged convention” spin will be much easier here. No matter who gets the nod, there will be some sizable faction of Dem voters who won’t be happy. And Trump and the media will tell them over and over and over again that the Dems rigged it and appointed a hand-picked puppet through a secret, undemocratic, backroom deal. 

I get the concerns about Biden. But if he steps down, it’s going to be a PR nightmare to maintain enthusiasm and turnout.

This is a real clusterfuck and there’s no magic wand that will fix it.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We are at 35 Democratic members of Congress now. This one is very painful. The ones who don’t want to wait until Monday are doing it now. But this weekend will be a shitshow. Glad I still have 2/3 of a caramel. 

IMG_1567.jpeg

image.gif.4788444f94cbe9c07d8e44b9a1c47190.gif

Guys, the fascists. They are standing RIGHT THERE.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Team “Biden should quit” don’t seem to realize the risks. It’s not even remotely all upside.

Remember 2016, when the perception that the party had rigged the primaries to favor Hillary over Bernie led to lackluster November turnout? Trump beat that drum repeatedly and it was fucking effective. And in that case, Hillary actually won more delegates in the primaries. 

The “rigged convention” spin will be much easier here. No matter who gets the nod, there will be some sizable faction of Dem voters who won’t be happy. And Trump and the media will tell them over and over and over again that the Dems rigged it and appointed a hand-picked puppet through a secret, undemocratic, backroom deal. 

I get the concerns about Biden. But if he steps down, it’s going to be a PR nightmare to maintain enthusiasm and turnout.

Also fucking black voters over and telling them to get over it by skipping Harris. The Democratic party dies as a national party if it happens. Thankfully, it won’t:

Biden saving Democrats from themselves.

Edited by Zonahorn

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

the only magic wand is to rewind and not douse your guy with gasoline and set him on fire when he does what you think are "unelectable" things. Republicans may be idoits but they are terribly effective competitors.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, troph said:

the only magic wand is to rewind and not douse your guy with gasoline and set him on fire when he does what you think are "unelectable" things. Republicans may be idoits but they are terribly effective competitors.

With love and respect- woman, do not gaslight me.
The White House kept the president out of the public eye for months prior to the debate, and while we can only speculate about the reason why, the plain truth is that he is now doddering to the extent that we can be sure he cannot fulfill the requirements of the office for much longer or at all. 
Of course he is better than Trump. But we are not circling the wagons or denying the inconvenient truth if we can find a better option. If you want denial and cynicism, you can go back to the GOP from whence ye came. 

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

With love and respect- woman, do not gaslight me.
The White House kept the president out of the public eye for months prior to the debate, and while we can only speculate about the reason why, the plain truth is that he is now doddering to the extent that we can be sure he cannot fulfill the requirements of the office for much longer or at all. 
Of course he is better than Trump. But we are not circling the wagons or denying the inconvenient truth if we can find a better option. If you want denial and cynicism, you can go back to the GOP from whence ye came. 

That’s another magic wand.  Decline last year before the primaries. 

I only mention the magic wand the least far back in time. And my use of the world “only” was inaccurate. 

another magic wand is decline to run a second term from the get go.

What do all three magic wands have in common?

it’s too late.

We can rank those in reverse order with the farthest back in time the best and the nearest in time the worst but all of these magic wands imo would be better than what could happen here. And maybe it works out but I’m really, really worried the turbo fucking is just getting started. Not because Harris can’t do it but because the Dems are expert turbo fuckers.

we have only one option now though, Harris. 

and yeah I do believe the dems need to learn to be more cut throat and the pubs have that down pat. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Man this situation is getting brutal. The Democrats are spontaneously combusting. They’ve got about three days to get control of their scene. 

Expert turbo fuckers. most consequential election in our gen x lifetime and the fucking boomer dems don’t even know what to do with their dicks in their hands. It’s a colossal disaster right now. 

Edited by troph
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Expert turbo fuckers. most consequential election in our gen x lifetime and the fucking boomer dems don’t even know what to do with their dicks in their hands. It’s a colossal disaster right now. 

What did you expect?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trump needs to be asked if he’ll sign a nationwide abortion ban, by passing state rights ….

The one thing about MAGA that has an iota  of validity is that the people in power don’t give a shit about normal people.

What I can’t understand is how they think the left controls things and the cabal at the top is a bunch of monied Jew leftists.

I know rich people. I’ve met wealthy folks. They’re mostly (I say mostly bc my circle has mostly been in Texas) right wing people who want taxes low and could give a shit about anything else. The 2 billionaire Christian nationalists in west Texas aren’t the norm in my experience.

What I can’t understand is guys like this who are so out of touch and yet so basic in the eyes of the true power brokers of their party that somehow feel emboldened or ‘in the know’

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, troph said:

What the Dem leaders are doing right now to Biden. You cannot expect to win if you continue to destroy your own candidate. The other side doesn’t need to lift a finger and they won’t because they would rather face Biden than an unknown ticket. They don’t even need to buy ads right now. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Prosecutor vs Felon

east vs west

White vs black

Women vs Man

Immigrant parents vs Rich slumlord parents

Reality TV vs Government worker

Lots of contrasts.

Roe vs. Wade

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

What the Dem leaders are doing right now to Biden. You cannot expect to win if you continue to destroy your own candidate. The other side doesn’t need to lift a finger and they won’t because they would rather face Biden than an unknown ticket. They don’t even need to buy ads right now. 

It’s too late. And yeah Biden shoulda stepped down a while ago and the admin lied to selfishly attempt to retain staffer power but shit it doesn’t matter now it all happened and it’s too late. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s too late. And yeah Biden shoulda stepped down a while ago and the admin lied to selfishly attempt to retain staffer power but shit it doesn’t matter now it anll happened and it’s too late. 

All that's left for the Democratic Party to do is loudly play a game of Stop Hitting Yourself with itself for the next three-or-so months.

stop-hitting-yourself-nelson-muntz.gif

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So we have open revolt from top Democrats and a president who's dug in and pissed off at the lot of them and everyone knows it?

That convention is gonna be lit.

Republicans:

inglorious basterds coffee GIF

and dems need to be like: *

Brad Pitt Tarantino GIF

* I’m not advocating political violence just big boy politics to stomp down the fascist fucks from winning.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

There’s no enthusiasm currently. The campaign needs enthusiasm right now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Pancho said:

Fine, agreed. He needs to go. I have ZERO confidence the Dems will make this better anytime soon. A month will be wasted before there’s any momentum. It’s possibly the biggest cluster fuck I’ve ever seen. And I’ll gladly blame Biden now too. It’s a fucking embarrassment.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Fine, agreed. He needs to go. I have ZERO confidence the Dems will make this better anytime soon. A month will be wasted before there’s any momentum. It’s possibly the biggest cluster fuck I’ve ever seen. And I’ll gladly blame Biden now too. It’s a fucking embarrassment.

It's like the scene from Stepbrothers where they're fighting in the front yard and the mom is spraying them with the hose and everyone from the neighborhood is watching.

/whatthefuckingfuck

edit to add: The fact that they're wearing red and blue t-shirts, while interesting doesn't track because everyone involved is in the Democratic party.  Also, note that it starts behind closed doors but quickly takes the show on the road.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

@Zonahorn SOB is a PE ringer, just like Tome. He's going nowhere, but good luck. Job must be brutal in Arizona. I went to mdst at the Phoenix hub once upon a time

We'll see who the locals endorse, my hunch is that he is cooked. Its hot and big brown is big brown, you know how it goes.  I'm down in Tucson, would never consider Phoenix.

• Like 1

This is a wild quote coming on a sports message board.
The absolute peak enthusiasm for a floundering sports team is immediately after they fire their head coach. There’s no easier move that the Dems can pull to generate enthusiasm than getting Biden to step down.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Does trying to force out the incumbent president help that?

Edited by Zonahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I know rich people. I’ve met wealthy folks. They’re mostly (I say mostly bc my circle has mostly been in Texas) right wing people who want taxes low and could give a shit about anything else.

I know one of the richest guys in Austin.  You know who he is.  I've never discussed politics with him, it's not my place, but I don't get the feeling he's anywhere close to MAGA.  I'm sure he wants to keep his taxes low, but I doubt that defines his perspective.  Good dude.

1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

The floated alternative by the Anti-Biden crowd are a mini-primary blitz followed by a committee choosing a candidate at the convention to be chaired by Oprah, Taylor Swift, Obama, or Hilary (SERIOUSLY, STOP LAUGHING) or a contested convention where the donors and party elite get to pick (FUCK OUR VOTERS EL-OH-EL). So, no, it isn't jumping out of a car or falling off a cliff. It's jumping out of a car into a spike pit because your passengers are screaming there might be a cliff ahead.

I think I'd proceed with Harris if I was crowned king for a day at this point, but the whole contested convention, mini primary thing has always been dumb and just sticking with Biden has always been a better option than that.

A quick transition to Harris is the only viable alternative that does not involve the Democratic Party smearing considerably more shit all over itself than it already has and dooming its electoral prospects in the prospects.

• Hook 'Em 6