2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think I'd proceed with Harris if I was crowned king for a day at this point, but the whole contested convention, mini primary thing has always been dumb and just sticking with Biden has always been a better option than that.

A quick transition to Harris is the only viable alternative that does not involve the Democratic Party smearing considerably more shit all over itself than it already has and dooming its electoral prospects in the prospects.

Maybe this means there are prominent voices or donors who don't like the idea of Kamala taking the wheel.

Bernstein on Anderson Cooper. Bernstein has spoken to Biden. Biden feels betrayed. He has helped many people in their careers and where is the loyalty from everyone. His family is also angry. His record is being disrespected he feels. He is especially angry at Pelosi and Schumer. Biden realizes that the current state of candidacy is unlikely. He wants recognition for his record. He sees this as an attack on him. 

The money is drying up. Many big party leaders don’t want a process where Kamala is “anointed” and it looks like Monday may be a possible announcement for Biden to potentially drop out. That’s all Carl’s reporting. 

If Harris can win Georgia or Michigan or Pennsylvania by getting blacks or women to turn out, then she should be on the ticket.  

If a swing state governor or senator can win their state for certain, they should be on the ticket.  

This election is not about policy or governance, it is about winning the election.

At this point I don’t see how Biden can win a single swing state outside of maybe PA.

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know one of the richest guys in Austin.  You know who he is.  I've never discussed politics with him, it's not my place, but I don't get the feeling he's anywhere close to MAGA.  I'm sure he wants to keep his taxes low, but I doubt that defines his perspective.  Good dude.

Trump wins 70% out at ACC. 

36 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is a wild quote coming on a sports message board.
The absolute peak enthusiasm for a floundering sports team is immediately after they fire their head coach. There’s no easier move that the Dems can pull to generate enthusiasm than getting Biden to step down.

Politics is not college football. I mean the dynamics are not even remotely comparable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know one of the richest guys in Austin.  You know who he is.  I've never discussed politics with him, it's not my place, but I don't get the feeling he's anywhere close to MAGA.  I'm sure he wants to keep his taxes low, but I doubt that defines his perspective.  Good dude.

Have you informed him about our lord and savior Texas One Fund?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Politics is not college football. I mean the dynamics are not even remotely comparable. 

They absolutely are comparable, but they shouldn’t be. For instance, do most fans give a shit if a five star QB cheats on his tests, does drugs on the reg, or beats his gf?  Nah, can he win a National Championship? That’s all that matters in today’s fucked world of team oriented politics.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Bernstein on Anderson Cooper. Bernstein has spoken to Biden. Biden feels betrayed. He has helped many people in their careers and where is the loyalty from everyone. His family is also angry. His record is being disrespected he feels. He is especially angry at Pelosi and Schumer. Biden realizes that the current state of candidacy is unlikely. He wants recognition for his record. He sees this as an attack on him. 

The money is drying up. Many big party leaders don’t want a process where Kamala is “anointed” and it looks like Monday may be a possible announcement for Biden to potentially drop out. That’s all Carl’s reporting. 

Well, then, maybe he should have more transparent about his health.  He hasn't even had a cabinet meeting since October.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Harris can win Georgia or Michigan or Pennsylvania by getting blacks or women to turn out, then she should be on the ticket.  

If a swing state governor or senator can win their state for certain, they should be on the ticket.  

This election is not about policy or governance, it is about winning the election.

At this point I don’t see how Biden can win a single swing state outside of maybe PA.

She is on the ticket. 

State elections and Federal elections are not the same thing.

All elections are about winning the election.

Biden is going to win every swing state

38 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Joe Biden stays in the race, I think Trump will win the the popular vote. 

3 more months of funeral bells will create so much apathy that a significant amount of people will not vote for President. 

No, polarization guarantees Biden will win the popular vote. It also means people will get fired up for voting against Donald Trump.  I would recommend everybody tune out the news until the election. The media has a vested interest in Donald Trump getting elected, and are not coming to help.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds like someone that might vote for Trump if the other option is a lame duck. 

That was her exact face when asked how she would feel if Kamala was passed over in favor of some kind of open primary/blitz/ballroom dance/speed dating type of deal with multiple town halls leading into the convention. I actually got her exact face. Delta 9 makes me sharper. I’m invincible. 

IMG_1574.jpeg

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Zonahorn said:

No, polarization guarantees Biden will win the popular vote. It also means people will get fired up for voting against Donald Trump.  I would recommend everybody tune out the news until the election. The media has a vested interest in Donald Trump getting elected, and are not coming to help.

Betting on people being "fired up" yet again to vote against Donald Trump right now is extremely foolish. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Well, then, maybe he should have more transparent about his health.  He hasn't even had a cabinet meeting since October.

I am on the same page with you and have expressed this sentiment many times. The problem is depending on what is wrong with him (cognitive decline—they sometimes get really angry—but I mean he also would be angry without the decline.) never should have run again. Had he not done that his legacy is secured. The candidate gets amazing platform and WH support. Tons of free press. 

Bernstein said while Biden is angry and understands it’s shitty right now neither he (nor his family) is stepping down. He sees the attacks as personal and out of malice and he is very pissed. 

27 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He has publicly released his yearly check-ups and released daily updates about his COVID case. What else do you want to see?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Betting on people being "fired up" yet again to vote against Donald Trump right now is extremely foolish. 

Polarization isn't some buzzword, it is political law. Vote blue no matter who, or could shoot somebody on 5th ave aren't just slogans.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They absolutely are comparable, but they shouldn’t be. For instance, do most fans give a shit if a five star QB cheats on his tests, does drugs on the reg, or beats his gf?  Nah, can he win a National Championship? That’s all that matters in today’s fucked world of team oriented politics.  

Thats not all that matters at all. If it was, the GOP would have dropped Trump in 2020 and the Dems would have pushed for someone other than Hillary. Politics is far more multidimensional, involving various overlapping constituencies with different and often opposing priorities. The timeline for and the process by which leaders are chosen are completely different in politics compared to sports. And politics involves a deep feeling of having a say in the outcomes, and an expectation of transparency and fairness. 

This “politics is just sports fandom” analogy is really half-assed. It’s lazy thinking. Democratic voters aren’t all going to get jazzed to vote because the party jams some new candidate down their throats. No matter who it is, there is some bloc that won’t approve and others will feel like the primaries and whole process were a sham. 

This isn’t fucking football. But go on with your fantasies of the magic candidate swap bullet. For the sake of our country, I hope it doesn’t backfire like I fear it will.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This isn’t fucking football. But go on with your fantasies of the magic candidate swap bullet. For the sake of our country, I hope it doesn’t backfire like I fear it will.

Voters are very stupid and easily manipulated.  I honestly don’t know if Kamala would win but I think the odds are better than white knuckling an inarticulate Joe Biden.  

Hulk fucking Hogan out front was speaking at the RNC for the guy leading in the polls for Christ sake. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Voters are very stupid and easily manipulated.  I honestly don’t know if Kamala would win but I think the odds are better than white knuckling an inarticulate Joe Biden.  

Hulk fucking Hogan out front was speaking at the RNC for the guy leading in the polls for Christ sake. 

Why do you assume Democratic voters approach politics like Republicans? The two parties have sorted on IQ / sanity lines at this point. The dynamics are totally different between the two now. Booed Mitch McConnell and banished John McCain out front shoulda told ya.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sounds like both of my grandmothers' when they got told they couldn't live alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Why do you assume Democratic voters approach politics like Republicans? The two parties have sorted on IQ / sanity lines at this point. The dynamics are totally different between the two now. Booed Mitch McConnell and banished John McCain out front shoulda told ya.

I don’t think Dems should approach politics like Republicans but with literal fascism coming at light speed, I’d prefer they’d run a screen or trick play since it’s getting late in the 3rd quarter, down by two scores.  Running it up the middle with a concussed Joey B. isn’t going to put more points on the board.

There’s time to right this ship but it’s going to be hard. I don’t think we recover from the Trump movement in my lifetime anyway but what got us here was voters treating politics like it was a spectator sport without real world consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s time to right this ship but it’s going to be hard

I fear it’s too late. Biden should have stepped down before the primaries, and spent the last 3 years promoting potential replacements. Were four months out from the election, the primaries are done, no one can settle on who the replacement even should be. It’s just way too fucking late to pull this off. 

The last thing any of us should want is Biden stepping down. WE are not the ones that will have any influence over who would be picked to be the candidate and we all know the $$$$$ will fuck this up. If Harris isn’t anointed, we lose a massive amount of the black vote and that is a damn big risk to take.

Couple that with the guaranteed litigation from the GOP, along with the bought courts and that’s it - Dictator Trump is in.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

No fucking shit.

And if anyone should feel betrayed, it’s the Democrats who stood up for Biden against a year of Republican attacks on Biden’s mental state, only to find out those attacks were legitimate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Sounds like both of my grandmothers' when they got told they couldn't live alone. 

It’s the shittiest conversation to have with a loved one and I have had to have that twice. Dementia/Alzheimers are hideous fucking diseases. They rob you of everything. I am not saying Biden has that. I’m just saying it’s a shit conversation. You know you are doing the right thing for them but they don’t see it that way, think you are betraying them, don’t understand what’s going on and the worst they feel abandoned, hopeless and helpless and it’s like they earned all this stuff their whole fucking lives and people are telling them they can’t make choices anymore. Uggghhhhh. It sucks. 

This is whole shit has been handled poorly. Add the cherry to the top of the shit sundae is not turning to Kamala and risking offending the backbone of the party—black women. We cannot rewind what’s been done but the only way I see forward is going with Kamala and hoping she picks a Shapiro or someone from  a rust belt state and get them to hit the ground running. The damage has been done to Biden and worse he no longer trusts many people around him. It’s the only path forward and I think the pressure coming to bear on Biden will be excruciating this weekend. Period. It will continue until he steps aside. If he doesn’t then fine we all ride but I have said numerous times before that THEY will not let him continue to run. Whoever THEY is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Michelle Obama gets the nomination, she selects Barack as VP, she wins the election in a landslide, decides to step down, and Barak is President for a third term. 

I'm pretty sure this part of the 12th Amendment might be difficult to circumvent.  It would definitely get thrown to the courts . . . and well, we know how that's gone recently.

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

• Hook 'Em 2

The only argument people could use not to have Kamala as next batter up is that Biden has a super low approval rating and she is part of that. 

With that said I just can’t see how you do a bake off here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

From my personal experience, some people that were probably "secret" Trump voters in 2016 and 2020 are talking much more openly about voting for Trump now. Since Biden is widely considered a lame duck at this point, they don't feel as ashamed to speak up. I'd go as far to say they feel some excitement that they can discuss the Presidential race without getting immediately shamed. This trend is only going to tick up with Joe on the ticket. 

I feel like a lot of rah rah Dems don't understand what is happening. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

That was her exact face when asked how she would feel if Kamala was passed over in favor of some kind of open primary/blitz/ballroom dance/speed dating type of deal with multiple town halls leading into the convention. I actually got her exact face. Delta 9 makes me sharper. I’m invincible. 

IMG_1574.jpeg

30itspd3xv6b1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

From my personal experience, some people that were probably "secret" Trump voters in 2016 and 2020 are talking much more openly about voting for Trump now. Since Biden is widely considered a lame duck at this point, they don't feel as ashamed to speak up. I'd go as far to say they feel some excitement that they can finally talk about the Presidential race without getting immediately shamed. This trend is only going to tick up with Joe on the ticket. 

I feel like a lot of rah rah Dems don't understand what is happening. 

I’ve never met a Trump supporter that wasn’t shy about talking about it. In fact it’s the complete opposite. No one ever had Biden flags or hats, but they still voted for him. The “silent majority” thing was always bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I am only here to call everyone asking for a replacement, a needle dick.

If you suppress my vote, I will not vote.

This is a very online take.  About 2/3 of white and Hispanic Democrats think he should drop out. ONLY half of black democrats think he should stay in, and by and large the younger a voter is, the more they think Biden should drop out. 

• Hook 'Em 1