2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, immamac said:

If SOTU Biden came bursting through the doors I'd be all on board. We haven't even gotten 50% of SOTU Biden.

I honestly never bothered to watch it, I don't buy the accelerated decline, the decline is real but has been gradual over the years. The idea that he can not last 4 months is not something I seriously entertain (but it will up to him to decide)

I don't care about anything after that, running the country. Team Biden can run it just as well as anyone, except for the softness of course.

1 minute ago, linux said:

I honestly never bothered to watch it, I don't buy the accelerated decline, the decline is real but has been gradual over the years. The idea that he can not last 4 months is not something I seriously entertain (but it will up to him to decide)

I don't care about anything after that, running the country. Team Biden can run it just as well as anyone, except for the softness of course.

go watch it. 

George W. Bush’s Attorney General Is Worried About Trump

Alberto Gonzales discusses the Supreme Court’s ruling on presidential immunity — and the prospect of a second Trump administration with more vendettas and fewer guardrails.

dnmtn4ksijwyep0xmljk.jpg.757c577a1ee6ba523379206740308497.jpg

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/07/19/alberto-gonzales-interview-trump-00167350

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The big issue that changed the momentum and greatly decreased the chances of winning happened AFTER the primary.

What is going on here? People are REACTING to an event, not making one up out of thin air. You are 100% never going to convince someone that what happened with Biden didn't happen. 

Joe Biden is old as fuck that was known in 2020, if you had no plan to execute a proper coup intra party coup then why should I follow you?

How do you people not know that this is all a performative act to get big money donations? That is what it looks like to me a performative act at the expense of damaging the campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the disconnect. You may not care if he lasts past November but a hell of a lot of people do. I hate Trump as much as anyone on this planet, but “Will this guy survive four more years?” is absolutely a valid question for a voter to ask themselves and frankly it uncomfortably evens the playing field between the two candidates among normies who don’t follow politics on the regular.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is the disconnect. You may not care if he lasts past November but a hell of a lot of people do. I hate Trump as much as anyone on this planet, but “Will this guy survive four more years?” is absolutely a valid question for a voter to ask themselves and frankly it uncomfortably evens the playing field between the two candidates among normies who don’t follow politics on the regular.

I do care about their vote, believe me, but only because it is the win condition, Team Biden can run the country just fucking fine, hell they could do it trotting his comatose corpse for all I care, the problem is compounded by people saying "Biden is too old"... just get the coup done already, all this talk just makes things harder.

Convincing the 81 million voters to go for Biden again should be the easiest slam dunk in history plus his disgraced coupster is running again and can only get 74 million. The clown has a HARD ceiling, he knows it that is why he is fake born again unity candidate... Instead we got the party that loves to smell its own farts and we have to make things infinitely more difficult.

I think the Biden camp + inner circle shielding him these many months after his decision to run again was predicated on the belief that Trump was (a) unelectable and (b) wouldn’t be on the ballot/be in jail so they didn’t need to do much. Especially if he is declining. Shielded him really the last ten months and only got him out there for heavily scripted teleprompter style shit. And this works.

And they would Just watch Trump be removed from the ballot. Repubs would fracture and won’t be able to put up or vote for anyone that could beat Biden. They would lose and lose huge. 

then if after winning the election in a few months or whatever he steps down if his cognitive shit really is that bad and Kamala is new President.
i  think that’s what they thought. 

then for whatever inexplicable reason with his poll numbers lagging behind Trump’s these same people said, “Hey let’s have a fucking historically early debate and Biden with enough prep will wipe the floor with that convicted felon and we will get a boost in the polls and we won’t have to debate that SOB again.”

And no need to rehash what happened after Biden absolutely kicked his own ass in that debate.  Trump’s many lies were not the story. The story was “holy shit what’s wrong with Biden.”

Thats where we are and the party is now fractured on how to move forward. Where will it be after the convention? No one fucking knows.  All I know is that it would be the absolute worst idea to pass over Kamala in favor of an open convention deal if Biden steps down and in the meantime the Dems are doing more damage to Biden than Republicans could ever do or even need to do. The fracture boomeranged on them. It hit the Democrats. And now they want something that should have taken place the moment Biden said he would run again. A real primary. Just thoughts but I think they didn’t need to do much because Trump wouldn’t be on the ballot and Repubs would fracture and they win. Jmo. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The Biden tweets being completely ignored in this thread is classic and hilarious. 

Well, it all seems pretty fucking hollow at this point, doesn't it?  One day Joe tells us the end is nigh if Republicans are elected.  The next he tells us to simmer, down, they just have a different vision.  The day after he struggles to finish a sentence.  If we're like, "Hey, uh, why am I getting all these mixed messages and precisely what the fuck is up with this leader I am supposed to be rallying behind?" we're told to shut the fuck up and fall in line.

Lost faith is hard to regain.  Once you see that the great Wizard of Oz is really just an old man behind a curtain, you can't unsee it.  Dems need to recognize this.  Their emperor has no clothes.  If they don't give voters a non-ridiculous option, the subset of those voters who don't have literal skin in the game are going to opt for self-preservation vs doomed Quixotic last stands.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Worth watching. 

Ha-ha! The Democratic Party is the one that wants to have student loans of working professionals paid for by taxes of blue collar workers, and the party that wants to increase tax deductions for wealthy people’s jumbo mortgages. 

It is amazing how things have flipped over 40 years. Reagan would never have had the balls to suggest these. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ha-ha! The Democratic Party is the one that wants to have student loans of working professionals paid for by taxes of blue collar workers, and the party that wants to increase tax deductions for wealthy people’s jumbo mortgages. 

It is amazing how things have flipped over 40 years. Reagan would never have had the balls to suggest these. 

A lot of workshoppin’ going on in this post to make it look like it’s poor people paying for the rich.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, linux said:

Its a coup, you could have run your candidates during primary season but refused to do so, this all smells like people wanted a backroom deal to pick the president. Where is my god damn primary for Biden Next? I thought so.

No it isn't. Removing a nominee is not deposing a leader; they are a political party and can run who they want. The voters will pick the President. Also, Biden can simply run the clock out on them if he holds on, unless there is such overwhelming support for removing him that they literally change their own rules to do so an install a new nominee by applicable deadlines. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I think the Biden camp + inner circle shielding him these many months after his decision to run again was predicated on the belief that Trump was (a) unelectable and (b) wouldn’t be on the ballot/be in jail so they didn’t need to do much. Especially if he is declining. Shielded him really the last ten months and only got him out there for heavily scripted teleprompter style shit. And this works.

And they would Just watch Trump be removed from the ballot. Repubs would fracture and won’t be able to put up or vote for anyone that could beat Biden. They would lose and lose huge. 

then if after winning the election in a few months or whatever he steps down if his cognitive shit really is that bad and Kamala is new President.
i  think that’s what they thought. 

then for whatever inexplicable reason with his poll numbers lagging behind Trump’s these same people said, “Hey let’s have a fucking historically early debate and Biden with enough prep will wipe the floor with that convicted felon and we will get a boost in the polls and we won’t have to debate that SOB again.”

And no need to rehash what happened after Biden absolutely kicked his own ass in that debate.  Trump’s many lies were not the story. The story was “holy shit what’s wrong with Biden.”

Thats where we are and the party is now fractured on how to move forward. Where will it be after the convention? No one fucking knows.  All I know is that it would be the absolute worst idea to pass over Kamala in favor of an open convention deal if Biden steps down and in the meantime the Dems are doing more damage to Biden than Republicans could ever do or even need to do. The fracture boomeranged on them. It hit the Democrats. And now they want something that should have taken place the moment Biden said he would run again. A real primary. Just thoughts but I think they didn’t need to do much because Trump wouldn’t be on the ballot and Repubs would fracture and they win. Jmo. 

I genuinely do not think Biden is running if Nikki Haley or Ron DeSantis or whoever is the GOP nominee. I think it's personal to him with Trump on the ballot.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

A lot of workshoppin’ going on in this post to make it look like it’s poor people paying for the rich.

Well, everyone knows the blue collar workforce does all the heavy lifting when it comes to the tax burden.

30 minutes ago, statsman said:

So, what were you on when you came up with this post? 

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

No one cares about a 7MM popular win.  It was skin of the teeth by the counting that matters. 

Again for the people in the back if the same 81 million voters that voted for Biden in 2020 did so again in 2024 he wins by a gigalandslide.

Please think about it for a second and then get back to me.

52 minutes ago, linux said:

Again for the people in the back if the same 81 million voters that voted for Biden in 2020 did so again in 2024 he wins by a gigalandslide.

But they aren't. That's the problem.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, linux said:

This one is showing up to do his duty 

IMG_1170.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Worth watching. 

I like Mayor Pete. He is extremely smart, Rhodes Scholar, military vet, and he’s been praised by Republicans for the work he’s done as Transportation Secretary. I would love for Trump to lose to a woman and a gay guy if he was picked for VP.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Speaking of putting Ohio in play, Chad Pergram reporting that Sherrod Brown was floated to Fox as a VP nominee.

One source told Fox that if President Biden bows out and the party drafts Harris, Democrats should look at Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, as their Vice Presidential pick. Brown pondered running for President in 2020. Brown stepping aside might cost Democrats a winnable Senate seat. But Fox was told some in the party like how Brown could match up with Vance. 

Too much downside and not enough upside, but an interesting notion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

They would still lose Ohio and then the Senate seat.

On this anointing of Harris, had Biden not run for re-election, they wouldn't have anointed Harris then and they shouldn't now.  She would have had to run in an open primary just like everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

I like Mayor Pete. He is extremely smart, Rhodes Scholar, military vet, and he’s been praised by Republicans for the work he’s done as Transportation Secretary. I would love for Trump to lose to a woman and a gay guy if he was picked for VP.

Counterpoint: McKinsey

8 hours ago, statsman said:

Ha-ha! The Democratic Party is the one that wants to have student loans of working professionals paid for by taxes of blue collar workers

This is a lie

How do I know if I am eligible for debt relief? 

• To be eligible, your annual income must have fallen below $125,000 (for individuals) or $250,000 (for married couples or heads of households). 

• If you received a Pell Grant in college and meet the income threshold, you will be eligible for up to $20,000 in debt relief. 

• If you did not receive a Pell Grant in college and meet the income threshold, you will be eligible for up to $10,000 in debt relief.  

What does the “up to” in “up to $20,000” or “up to $10,000” mean? 

• Your relief is capped at the amount of your outstanding debt.

• For example: If you are eligible for $20,000 in debt relief, but have a balance of $15,000 remaining, you will only receive $15,000 in relief.  

The majority of beneficiaries are people from low income backgrounds who started school but were unable to finish and now work a low paying job. On top of that many are the victims of scam online colleges or “trade schools” like Trump University, and paid tuition that was grossly inflated and even if they completed their studies found the “degree” worthless 

I would have set the cutoff below 80/160, but this is a good program

Remember this debt is not dischargeable in any type of bankruptcy, so unlike upper middle class and companies they can’t just walk away from their debt and start over 

if you are an hourly worker with 20k in student loan debt it might as be 20M. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Michelle Obama gets the nomination, she selects Barack as VP, she wins the election in a landslide, decides to step down, and Barak is President for a third term. 

danielle-thomas-with-gia.jpg.2a5db07f680e6d4e4e7d70d951a3f4c0.jpg

Billionaire dem donors don’t want Biden’s tax plans to go through. So, of course he’s too old and the money is drying up. We are a country run by billionaires buying politicians and political power. It’s over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

This is a lie

The majority of beneficiaries are people from low income backgrounds who started school but were unable to finish and now work a low paying job. On top of that many are the victims of scam online colleges or “trade schools” like Trump University, and paid tuition that was grossly inflated and even if they completed their studies found the “degree” worthless 

I would have set the cutoff below 80/160, but this is a good program

Remember this debt is not dischargeable in any type of bankruptcy, so unlike upper middle class and companies they can’t just walk away from their debt and start over 

if you are an hourly worker with 20k in student loan debt it might as be 20M. 

get outta here with reasonable positions based on logic and compassion!

BOOTSTRAPPS!@!

btw - my student debt profile from 2002:

- $60,000 (Univ. of Texas / Private law school)
  - all interest subsidized while in school (9 years)
  - fixed rate, 2.95% (when market rate was 7.25% for a home loan)
  - 25 year term
  - $300/month repayment
  - starting salary out of law school, $160,000

if students came out of school with this profile, i'd say fuck em, pay your way. but the problem is they aren't and to your point there are thousands of people who fell victim to the student loan profiteering schemes of shit for profit schools with no degree at all or no marketable degree. now they have higher rate, variable rate interest loans for schools that cost a tiny fortune. it's a fucked up situation and the millions of illegal immigrants, those thugs and violent criminals being shipped straight from prisons to the US and being dropped in our country from central america need to be rounded up and mass deported to solve the problem.

LET"S FUCKING GO!!!

freedom GIF

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, linux said:

you are 100% correct.

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

But they aren't. That's the problem.

so are you.

half the population (plus or minus a few percentage points) doesn't vote. about 2/3 of them don't even pretend. The other 1/3 actively look for reasons not to vote. He's a nutjob, he's too old, for that reason, I'm out. that plus or minus a few percentage points is the election. motivation to GOTV is paramount. anti-trump with a net-negative biden isn't a safe bet. last time it was anti-trump and neutral biden and he won.  and before anyone assume I'm anti-biden, I'm not. I'm livid it looks like his admin isn't getting a second term whether by losing or by stepping down.

Is anyone going to start a candidate “coaching” thread? Or is that taboo? I am not bc I have zero cache here but I think it might be more fun than the doom loop.

If Biden steps aside and Kamala is passed over in favor of a mini-convention and she is not the nominee I think a ticket of Whitmer/Shapiro (whatever order) would be the one most feared by Repubs. Or Shapiro/Buttigieg. But that’s assuming a lot of things obviously. I think bc of Roe v Wade a woman should be on the ticket—it is nearly impossible to debate that issue against a woman optics wise no matter what people’s personal beliefs are.

All or this is assuming any of the people on that potential ticket will run. That Biden will step aside. That Kamala won’t get anointed or won’t outlast her mini-field of competitors. It also doesn’t take into account how the backbone/black base of the part will react to having Biden removed (it’s clear if he steps aside it wasn’t by choice to all of us) and also taking away Kamala. That is a problem.

I can’t see him being the nominee. No matter what his camp and he are saying.  Behind the scenes I am sure excruciating pressure is being brought to bear to make sure he steps aside quickly. They tried the carrot. Then the carrot and the stick. He hasn’t budged. Now it’s baseball bats and blow torches. it’s just 34 members of Congress now. Wait until Monday morning. 

I know everyone on this forum thinks this will be the last real election if Trump wins (I don’t) but if there is another election in 4 years I would welcome earlier conventions two weeks apart with the incumbent side going last. And there would be this mini-blitz primary and those top candidates get the vote at the convention. And hit the ground running. I would love to see that happen. In the future. If there is a future. We would be able to see a lot of candidates that simply can’t run bc of a money issue. We would feel quite frankly better about the choices. And we could really focus on the policies and the issues. The issues and the platforms and visions for the future. More than we do the lesser of two evils which many times most of us have felt has been the case. 

8 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

CDN media

There is no throw up 🤮 🤢 emoji reaction but Matt and Kimberly….

Absolutely horror film stuff. This is why people shouldn’t mess with their faces. But the ugly on the inside always comes out. Kim was at least pretty before the ghastly sort of Elvira meets Disney cartoon villainess. I have expected her to turn into a dragon like Maleficent and eat some of the people in the crowd. The only safe ones would be the MSNBC anchors bc they weren’t actually present. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Leroy Jenkins strategy in which you take no outside input to inform your decisions. 
Bold, maybe.

Stupid, yes.

Losing strategy. We’ll see? [probably though]

3 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The Leroy Jenkins strategy in which you take no outside input to inform your decisions. 
Bold, maybe.

Stupid, yes.

Losing strategy. We’ll see? [probably though]

Now is the time to fight about it. After the convention, just come together and work assess off to keep Trump from winning. End of story. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think it's reasonable to look at margin of victory in certain states.  It was mighty slim in a few cases.

Arizona -- < 11K for Biden

Wisconsin -- < 21K for Biden

Georgia -- < 12K for Biden (hence the phone call)

Does that tell the whole story?  No, but neither does 81M vs 74M.

• Hook 'Em 4