2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

My question is since many of you have followed Nancy Pelosi longer than I have: she is said to play strategic 5 Dimensional chess. We know she has a lot of power/sway. We know she has privately met with Obama a couple of times since the debate. They are together. She is said from recent articles to want Biden to step aside and she is in favor of a mini-convention. Biden has dug in his heels and he is angry and feels betrayed and abandoned. He has put out publicly thru “sources” that he is furious with both Pelosi and with Obama. He is gonna head out and campaign this coming week he says. He is so isolated most say they cannot talk to him without Jill’s say so. He’s not listening to any calls telling him to rethink his decision. 

so you are Pelosi, what is your next move? 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If your opinion is “I can’t vote for Biden because he’s old, so I have to vote for the fascist,” you weren’t that far from already voting for him. 

A lot of people aren't thoughtful or care enough to think of Trump as a fascist. 

Look, I understand it's very hard to be empathetic with anyone that is considering voting for Trump. I've felt the same way. But people live their own lives with their own priorities/values and level of interest in politics & government. You have to meet people where they are in this situation if you are strategically trying to defeat Trump. 

EDIT: Want to be clear that I'm not trying to diminish how a Trump presidency affects you or anyone else. I understand the threat and fully agree with how dangerous another 4 years will be. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If the replacement happens during the convention, does the SC meet asap to give their ruling or do they wait until first week of Oct ?

if roberts waits, that heavily favors the R’s 

If SCOTUS did like that, Biden has to cancel the election immediately or postpone it. And the people would fucking riot. They cannot tell the Dems who to nominate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My question is since many of you have followed Nancy Pelosi longer than I have: she is said to play strategic 5 Dimensional chess. We know she has a lot of power/sway. We know she has privately met with Obama a couple of times since the debate. They are together. She is said from recent articles to want Biden to step aside and she is in favor of a mini-convention. Biden has dug in his heels and he is angry and feels betrayed and abandoned. He has put out publicly thru “sources” that he is furious with both Pelosi and with Obama. He is gonna head out and campaign this coming week he says. He is so isolated most say they cannot talk to him without Jill’s say so. He’s not listening to any calls telling him to rethink his decision. 

so you are Pelosi, what is your next move? 

I think most of your premise lacks credible sourcing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Theory: Biden hasn't dropped out yet because Harris is still in her probationary period as candidate.  She came out of her bunker shortly after the debate and I think the decision makers want to collect data on how she's perceived with the electorate.  If the people, including Biden, see what they need to see they will transition to Harris.

Probably a lot of private polling we aren’t seeing and focus groups on her as a candidate. They need to show them her speech from NC last week. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, scottsins said:

I think most of your premise lacks credibility sourcing.

Picture is from NYT articles 

I posted an article from AP Press which talks about Pelosi. CNN reported that she and Obama have met much since the debate and are in lockstep. Biden has said he’s heading out to campaign. All this has been reported. Nancy doesn’t want Kamala anointed. what else needs sourcing? 

A person familiar with Pelosi’s thinking said that while she is a friend and admirer of the vice president, she believes that anybody who wants to be president is better served by such a process, believing that whoever emerges as the candidate would be strengthened to win the election. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to characterize Pelosi’s thought process.

Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, a Pelosi ally who has called on Biden to step aside, said Friday on MSNBC that some kind of “mini-primary” that would include Harris makes sense.”

https://apnews.com/article/biden-campaign-democrats-election-trump-2b1c163c863130675b3b5b60718741c8

i can pull any quotes or articles you want. What needs sourcing?

IMG_1592.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably a lot of private polling we aren’t seeing and focus groups on her as a candidate. They need to show them her speech from NC last week. 

Agreed.  To me, I think she's hitting a grand slam in her audition.

She clearly has studied Obama's public speaking, and while it's evident her delivery, gestures, and tempo are practiced vs. the innate natural born talent that Obama is, it's still impressive.

She also has shown the ability to simplify her messaging so that people quickly can understand what she's saying, especially on Project 2025.

I think her candidacy, if it does become reality, will resonate.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Agreed.  To me, I think she's hitting a grand slam in her audition.

She clearly has studied Obama's public speaking, and while it's evident her delivery, gestures, and tempo are practiced vs. the innate natural born talent that Obama is, it's still impressive.

She also has shown the ability to simplify her messaging so that people quickly can understand what she's saying, especially on Project 2025.

I think her candidacy, if it does become reality, will resonate.

I actually saw a post on Reddit, and it would never happen, of a Harris/Sanders ticket. Would actually get the youth vote out. If only Bernie was 10 years younger 

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Picture is from NYT articles 
I posted an article from AP Press which talks about Pelosi. CNN reported that she and Obama have met much since the debate and are in lockstep. Biden has said he’s heading out to campaign. All this has been reported. Nancy doesn’t want Kamala anointed. what else needs sourcing? 

A person familiar with Pelosi’s thinking said that while she is a friend and admirer of the vice president, she believes that anybody who wants to be president is better served by such a process, believing that whoever emerges as the candidate would be strengthened to win the election. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to characterize Pelosi’s thought process.
Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, a Pelosi ally who has called on Biden to step aside, said Friday on MSNBC that some kind of “mini-primary” that would include Harris makes sense.”
https://apnews.com/article/biden-campaign-democrats-election-trump-2b1c163c863130675b3b5b60718741c8
i can pull any quotes or articles you want. What needs sourcing?
IMG_1592.thumb.jpeg.040ec2c1de2fe208b2a7facd83e2b44b.jpeg

Let me clarify. I’m not saying that the premise is wrong, but personally, I’m not going down that rabbit hole until people go on the record, not anonymously to attribute specific statements and beliefs to Pelosi, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

In a perfect world, Mayor Pete would be the Democratic nominee because he's more than capable of dispatching a light weight moron like Trump. He could stand in a debate and annihilate Trump's lies point by point. But he's gay and we're a nation of bigoted assholes. So we instead get the feeble old man who can't debate any longer. And we'll have to like it, it seems. 

The only path to Pete being a candidate is for him to be someone’s VP first. After he has visibility and hopefully people getting used to the ideas of a gay politician (ladybug excluded), hopefully people will see he’s smart as shit and will do the right thing for America. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

The MAGA base is already stirred up. I don’t understand - you want enthusiasm, and youth, and something to jolt the Dems, but only a white man or white woman (just Gretch though) will do? 

The fact that black Dems are the most pragmatic in the fucking goal - beat Trump - tells me how fired up they’d be.  Especially black women. They understand. They get it.

I loved that ad in 2020. Absolutely show the contrast between the two

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Js1 said:

The MAGA base is already stirred up. I don’t understand - you want enthusiasm, and youth, and something to jolt the Dems, but only a white man or white woman (just Gretch though) will do? 

The fact that black Dems are the most pragmatic in the fucking goal - beat Trump - tells me how fired up they’d be.  Especially black women. They understand. They get it.

I loved that ad in 2020. Absolutely show the contrast between the two

i work in o/g know maaaany maga / trump loyalist, you’d be amazed how many don’t vote 

• Hook 'Em 1

Zonahorn, it appears you support Biden remaining the candidate because he is a decent favorite to win the election based on conversations you've had with people in the know as well as consideration for his administrations record and the fact that he won the primary.

My question for you is do you and the people you know think Harris makes a worse candidate?  What does eroded support for Harris in comparison to Biden look like?  Less white voters in the critical swing states?  Less overall turnout?  Or is it concerns about the courts and the SC weighing in on whether Harris legitimately wins an election?

I'm still not so sure who makes the better candidate between the two and as I am in the "just fucking win" camp I'm genuinely curious.  My gut still tells me it's Biden but my read of the tea leaves says it's going to be Harris.

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i work in o/g know maaaany maga / trump loyalist, you’d be amazed how many don’t vote 

And black voters spiked for Obama. At some point, you have to stop being a pussy while calling the Dems pussies for running only “safe” candidates 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, MrBig said:

Based on the audience response it seems like MAGA prefers Biden instead of Harris as the opponent.

Of course they do. He and his campaign don’t want it to be anyone else other than Biden They have strategically built their campaign and their attacks on Biden only. Someone on MSNBC (or CNN or something) did basically a “ride along” with members of the trunp campaign and they admitted they built the campaign around beating Biden and if it’s anyone else they’d have to start all over and they don’t know where they’d start. 

I’ve said it here before that it was odd they were fighting for Biden to stay in the race, but then it made sense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They don’t want to vote for Trump…

but some will. 

They were always voting for Trump

Ya it’s very difficult for me to envision those people, but I do think they are out there. 

They flip back and forth between R and D. They are not well informed. They don’t read past headlines of anything, so they just think “both sides”. 

They do dislike Trump, but when faced with what they saw of Biden and his frail condition, they rationalize that an asshole who will do anything to gun the economy might be better than someone with Alzheimer’s. It’s flawed thinking, but that’s what that group is thinking. I think I know some people that fall into this group but I’ve not asked them straight up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah id vote for that. 

Fuck ya let’s go. Follow that up with a video of nothing but Trump former cabinet members saying he is unfit for office: Barr, Tillerson, etc. That ad would kill. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Fuck ya let’s go. Follow that up with a video of nothing but Trump former cabinet members saying he is unfit for office: Barr, Tillerson, etc. That ad would kill. 

Or better yet just the current cabinet members telling the horror stories they had to unfuck. Damn that would be great. 

Biden’s X going hard: 

Biden Twitter still fighting. He may or may not write the tweets but he oks them. This doesn’t sound to me like someone “stepping aside” tomorrow. Or Monday. So I guess we will see if the rumors are true of a massive blue wave of defections and possibly even more pressure exerted on him. It’s not worked so far. I don’t know what else to say and just hope if he continues to ride we can make it work somehow. 

pictured Trump new ear dressing. How many Halloween costumes this year with the white square patch? 

IMG_1591.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Also has Lincoln project been silent since assassination attempt? 

Uh, Lincoln died after the assassination. 

Spoiler

Iz jok in my contree

Edited by Bullneck
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Biden’s X going hard: 

Biden Twitter still fighting. He may or may not write the tweets but he oks them. This doesn’t sound to me like someone “stepping aside” tomorrow. Or Monday. So I guess we will see if the rumors are true of a massive blue wave of defections and possibly even more pressure exerted on him. It’s not worked so far. I don’t know what else to say and just hope if he continues to ride we can make it work somehow. 

This is baffling. If reports are accurate of big donor money being withheld, it’s already over for the campaign. Just impossible to carry on without that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Superhero said:

The only path to Pete being a candidate is for him to be someone’s VP first. After he has visibility and hopefully people getting used to the ideas of a gay politician (ladybug excluded), hopefully people will see he’s smart as shit and will do the right thing for America. 

Bill Maher last night had Pete on for the one-on-one interview to start. Commended him for not cancelling with all the Biden dropping out stuff. At the end, Bill was like, "Well, I wish you were the candidate but ..."

40 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah id vote for that. 

I'll be honest -- that makes my political dick hard.

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Biden’s X going hard: 

pictured Trump new ear dressing. How many Halloween costumes this year with the white square patch? 

IMG_1591.jpeg

He neither writes nor OK's these tweets. This is his staff doing this.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Bill Maher last night had Pete on for the one-on-one interview to start. Commended him for not cancelling with all the Biden dropping out stuff. At the end, Bill was like, "Well, I wish you were the candidate but ..

Pete needs some seasoning. Mayor to Cabinet Secretary is not enough but he’s young. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

People just need to realize that voting for a soon dead Biden is basically voting for Kamala. Push that narrative Dems. Yea.

Also this 

They don’t want to vote for Trump…

but some will. 
They were always voting for Trump
No kidding. Those are the ones that still have half an ounce of shame. They want to vote for Trump, but they know it's shameful to do it so they don't admit it. They use their last half ounce of shame to lie about not liking Trump.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would guess most voters in this country do not view a second Trump presidency with anywhere near the amount of trepidation displayed on this board.
I know you're right, but I just can't imagine how deep your head must be buried in the sand to forget 1 Million people dying of COVID AND an assault on the Capitol.

Sometimes, I wish I didn't care as much as I do.

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Pete needs some seasoning. Mayor to Cabinet Secretary is not enough but he’s young. 

Agreed. I'd love to see Kamala/Pete ticket but I think that's problematic to put a gay man with Kamala for this go-round.

12 minutes ago, Texaus said:

Jeebus he looks about to keel over

Woof. That looks bad. Biden can't win with 4.5 more months of videos like these. He looks decrepit.

• Hook 'Em 2