2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah I do. I think the gay military veteran who had an extremely successful private sector career and one of the best performing cabinet positions in the last few decades should be front and center. 

He started off rough cuz he took pat leave almost immediately, but since has been incredibly effective and successful. He's the most dangerous kind of person, he's COMPETENT. 

Extremely successful private sector career? Didn’t he spend like 2.5 years a McKinsey before jumping ship to the public sector? Not that I disagree with your overall point. He needs to be a heavy hitter on the campaign trail.

• Hook 'Em 2

Boy, who could have predicted that?  Oh, me?

Greg Abbott:  

Joe Biden has now endorsed and fully supports his “Borders Czar” Kamala Harris to be the Democrat candidate for president.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Bingo. And also a massive indictment of the American electorate, which votes for style over substance. 

And the basis for my ragey post the other day. The possible administrations the next 4 years in rank order: Biden/harris, Harris/?? and then dead last not effective awful Trump/Vance.  It’s antithetical to me to voluntarily reject the best for the second best but it’s what we had to do.

20 minutes ago, yoladu said:

he is not incapable of the duties of the presidency, just not capable to run an effective campaign. two very different things.

Who said he was incapable of running? 

Edit I meant to quote the Turley tweet sorry

Edited by Sawbonz

The presidential election has everthing:

Attempted assassination, incumbent quitting, challenger trying to pull a Grover  Cleveland, black woman nominee, and a wide open party  convention for vp.

All we need are another pandemic and some riots and we can check all the boxes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Extremely successful private sector career? Didn’t he spend like 2.5 years a McKinsey before jumping ship to the public sector? Not that I disagree with your overall point. He needs to be a heavy hitter on the campaign trail.

Yeah it’s like the lawyers that work at a big firm for 2 years then punt but lean on that experience. Man you’re barely above a typist and note taker at year two at the best consulting and law firms, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Attempted assassination, incumbent quitting, challenger trying to pull a Grover  Cleveland, black woman nominee, and a wide open party  convention for vp.

Bill Hader Snl GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Mark Warner and Jamal Bowman already line up behind Harris

Everyone needs to within the week. And others in contention need to decline. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Boy, who could have predicted that?  Oh, me?

Greg Abbott:  

Boy, the Governor of a state with really shitty infrastructure who abandons his state in a time of need has the lack of working balls to criticize someone else. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Convention is in Chicago. Somebody dig up Norman Mailer, use a revival spell, and let’s do this thing!!

gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror

45 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Countdown to full on racism from the Republicans.

You can be damn sure those mfers will do their best to Swift Boat her but that's a minefield for them to navigate when the target is a black woman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Everyone needs to within the week. And others in contention need to decline. 

They will. This won't be nearly as chaotic as people think. No one who wants a legitimate shot in 2028 (assuming we get that) will put their name in right now. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, Gourmand said:

You can be damn sure those mfers will do their best to Swift Boat her but that's a minefield for them to navigate when the target is a black woman. 

She's not facing the incumbent. Kerry was easy to dispatch. She also needs to kill off her dumb catchphrase. It's not as bad as "Help Is ON THE WAY" but still. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They will

Seriously though: there need to be a series of Sherman-esque statements from Whitmer, Newsom, et al in the next 24 hours.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, because issues and facts clearly are what matter in today's political environment.

No, results that are tangible and irrefutably making people's day to day better are pretty good though. 

I think everyone is forgetting about the best possible VP choice for Kamela. It’s someone who has been a Washington insider, who has deep political experience, and has tremendous foreign policy experience. That VP candidate? Joe Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They will

I’m starting to think the delay in his withdrawing was mostly to get a broad consensus to commit to backing Harris publicly as soon as he announced 

probably told those hesitant to commit that he would just stay in if they didn’t 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

She's not facing the incumbent. Kerry was easy to dispatch. She also needs to kill off her dumb catchphrase. It's not as bad as "Help Is ON THE WAY" but still. 

Right but Kerry was riding a huge wave of momentum and those Swift Boat ads absolutely torched his chances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

I’m starting to think the delay in his withdrawing was mostly to get a broad consensus to commit to backing Harris publicly as soon as he announced 

probably told those hesitant to commit that he would just stay in if they didn’t 

And I imagine the avalanche of endorsements will come after his national address. Let him speak first 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gourmand said:

Right but Kerry was riding a huge wave of momentum and those Swift Boat ads absolutely torched his chances. 

Bro, that was 20 years ago. Well before social media. You can easily answer any bullshit with your own bullshit now. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I think everyone is forgetting about the best possible VP choice for Kamela. It’s someone who has been a Washington insider, who has deep political experience, and has tremendous foreign policy experience. That VP candidate? Joe Biden. 

If he can serve I would love him to be a daily advisor, but he can’t be on the ticket for a variety of reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I had to immediately change the channel. Van Jones is terrible. 

That fucker only cares about chaos. It's now the standard operation procedure for CNN. Stop giving them your views. 

• Hook 'Em 7

I predict we are going to see Dark Brandon re-emerge as a campaigner and everyone's gonna be all "where was this Joe Biden in June/July!?!?!" and the media is gonna be hawk tuah'ng Joseph Robinette Biden and I'll be "uh, he was there all along y'all just didn't want to see it because he's old."

But it's undeniable that Kamala's candidacy will reinvigorate the electorate to defeat MAGA.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And I imagine the avalanche of endorsements will come after his national address. Let him speak first 

We’ve already had a few major ones. Biden first, chair of CPC, now the Clintons, there will be a drumbeat of endorsements. Dems may actually be doing this right.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm loving the pearl-clutching.  I'm on record as saying I don't think Kamala can win.  At this point, I don't think Joe can win.  Kamala is the better (best) choice.  Dems need to get behind her candidacy, tell the Republicans to fuck off with their hysteria about the primaries, first-call put her at the top of the ticket with Shapiro as veep, and then GET OUT ON THE ROAD AND THE AIRWAVES AND HAMMER THE SHIT OUT OF;

-- Roe V Wade

-- Project 2025

-- the economy and the stock market

-- Trump's convictions

-- Trump's ongoing legal issues

Let's.  Fucking.  Go.  Do your job for once.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

At least Democrats have something to be excited about now.

These. Make no mistake it's still a long shot. In the short term it likely damages Democrats standing in the EC because she won't poll as well with seniors and whites in the midwest as Biden. It's on Democrats to now win decisively among undecides and get young voters back in the fold. It's an uphill battle but at least there's a battle to fight. Biden was mortally wounded.

51 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta dumbfuck voters gonna vote for Trump because they dont/wont want a woman in the white house as prez

She's absolutely going to pay a proverbial tax as a black woman. She also opens doors that Biden clearly wasn't going to. You have to take the upside in this scenario.

46 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Harris / Pete pls 

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CNN: A Democratic governor probably at the top of the list 

Mentioned Shapiro, Walz, Pritzker, Cooper, Beshear

No. Pete is impressive but need someone with executive governing experience and ties to a relatively important state. One of the governors is the play.

42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Sellers mentioning McRaven as a good veep. Still think it should be Shapiro 

His name rec is way overinflated on this site for obvious reasons. 

33 minutes ago, troph said:

It will be Harris it has to be Harris there is no better time to put a woman at the lead of the ticket than now.

the victory lap for Biden will be so much better than the drumbeat of age.

Harris will fuck trump’s shit up on the trail. Grab Shapiro and secure the blue wall and call it a day.

not sure about governing I’m worried about that - gravely. But it is what it is.

dems and Biden fucked up a lot of this from 3.5 years ago until yesterday, but today a good decision was made based on where it all stands.

let’s fucking go.

Governing will be fine if Harris wins. I imagine a lot of the rank and file Biden staff will remain in place. If there's a pick I trust her specifically to make it's a Merrick Garland replacement.

And it's less worrying than a Turmp admin.

29 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yep. Go find your equivalent to Obama's... Joe Biden.

true detective time GIF

• Haha 1