2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

-She wasn't born in Oakland, she was born in Auckland!  Check her birth certificate! 

-Joe needs to do just three things on a loop.  Take a victory lap, campaign for Harris, and claim Presidential Immunity while he lays waste to Trump and his minions for the next 6 months.  

-What the fuck with this weird mis-reading of the 12th?  We've had plenty of current VP's simultaneously run for President/their Party's nomination (perhaps not this close to the general, but certainly before it).  Just as the original constructionists framed it, Justices Thomas, Alito, et. al.  Maybe you've heard of John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Clinton (didn't clinch), Martin Van Buren (much respect #8), John Breckenridge, Charles Fairbanks (didn't clinch), Thomas Marshall, John Nance Garner (didn't clinch), Henry Wallace, Alben Barkley (didn't clinch), Richard Nixon, Hubert Humphrey, and Al Gore.  All were serving as VP when they campaigned to earn their party's nomination for POTUS before their respective conventions.  All but 2 of them, after the 12th was ratified in 1804.  and yet, MAGA is just baffled how this could possibly be allowed?  The federal 2-name ticket for POTUS/VP has a separate set of rules that have been tested for over 200 years with no issues.  Closest we got was Ford moving in for Agnew and then right into Nixon's spot.  Even then 65% of America was cool with it until he pardoned Nixon.  

-How many MAGA family conference calls are happening tonight around the dinner table, "You know Chuck, as a student of history...this is the first of its kind slap to the fact of the American people.  Democrats oughta be ashamed!"  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My 12 year old did not help me with this one. Wat??? Need help.

6 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Had to get some assistance from my 17 year old on this one. 

Confused? For those of you who are not chronically online, we can clue you in to the phenomenon that has taken over pop listeners since the release of Charli XCX’s album "BRAT" on June 7, which has fans declaring this is a "Brat summer." USA TODAY called the album an embrace of “a hot-mess pop star aesthetic, prioritizing club culture at its core but still offering introspective lyrics on aging, womanhood, grief and anxiety.” That's a good starting place to understanding what this trend is all about.

In a TikTok interview, Charli XCX broke down her definition of the word "brat": “You are just that girl who is a little messy and maybe says dumb things sometimes, who feels herself but then also maybe has a breakdown but parties through it. It is honest, blunt and a little bit volatile. That’s Brat.”

What is a brat summer?

Brat summer is the lifestyle associated with being a "brat," and not in the way you may think. Charli XCX fans aren't throwing tantrums like a badly behaved child; being a brat to them means indulging in pleasure and not concerning yourself with societal expectations. Rather than conforming to the status quo − on matters of aging, clean living or etiquette − brats focus more on having fun, embracing their community and unapologetically embracing individuality. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Barstool bros think its not fair

This is so stupid for a bunch of reasons, but he realizes she isnt being named President, right? If the country/Democrats/whoever isn’t happy with her as a a candidate they are free to make that preference known at the polls in November. Feels pretty democratic to me. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Palmer Report:

I don’t know why President Biden chose today to announce he was ending his campaign. There are a lot of things that go into the timing of this kind of thing, and we’ll never get a proper answer on why he chose today, and not a week ago, or a week from now. But whether it was intentional or not, Biden’s timing is uncanny.

Just a few days ago, Donald Trump married himself to JD Vance as his running mate. This was at a time when Trump still thought he was probably going to be running against Biden, a fellow old white guy. And so Trump chose Vance for whatever reason, perhaps his youth. Or maybe donors simply chose Vance for Trump. But regardless, Trump is now stuck with Vance, a white guy who’s seen as anti-woman, on his ticket. And now it turns out Trump is running against a Black woman.

Would Trump (or his puppet masters) have chosen a different running mate if they’d known they were going to be running against Kamala Harris? Would they have gone with a woman, or a Black person? We’ll never know the answer to that question either. But we do know that because Biden announced his decision today and not a week ago, Trump is now stuck with a running mate that he picked for a different matchup entirely.

This also means that Kamala Harris gets to pick her own running mate with full knowledge of the Trump-Vance ticket she’ll be running against. We don’t know what factors will go into her decision making. But it’s always better to have this kind of information about the opponent in hand when making such decisions.

Not to mention all the money and time spent attacking Biden last week.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• bolverk changed the title to [LFG!!!] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. Yes! We got this.
2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fuck yes.  Can we change the thread title?  No more chicken little shit.  

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This. 

As the OP, I'd be happy to change it back to something more positive (or neutral) and will take suggestions unless @immamac objects.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I honestly think we just witnessed the greatest political play of our lifetimes. Pubs bit on the play fake and Joe hits a wide open Kamala (Derek Lewis) downfield

See? Much better than announcing it during the GOP convention. Let them play their hand first then make your move. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was at dinner with my wife and her Trump-ish parents and MAGA brother tonight so I’m way behind. I’m sure this has been posted but just in case.

https://www.newsweek.com/nikki-haley-voters-pac-announces-support-kamala-harris-1928198

A coalition of former Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley voters pledged their support for Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris' presidential bid on Sunday, hours after President Joe Biden announced that he was dropping out of the race.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2