2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I've been thinking that Trump might actually quit.   Why?  1) He's a coward who can't stand blows to his ego. Losing to a black woman like Kamala Harris is more than he could take. It's best not to risk it.  2) I don't think he really WANTS to be President for any reason other than he wants to protect himself from prosecution. If he can be assured that a) he'll be given pardoned if a Republican wins and b) Republicans stand a better chance of winning with him NOT on the ticket then I could see that he would walk away 3) he's old and tired and probably more than anything wants to go somewhere, play golf, and live out the rest of his days.

Trump has once again painted himself into a corner by blasting Biden for quitting, which he has continued.  No way does he quits now.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Trump has once again painted himself into a corner by blasting Biden for quitting, which he has continued.  No way does he quits now.  

Trump also has surrounded himself with yes men. Who would possibly advise him to step down?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The one think I dislike about Kamala is that she the youngest boomer by being born in Oct ‘64. Only 3 months younger and Gen X would finally have their own President.  Boomers had 4 of the last 5 presidents.

She’s more Gen X than boomer then. She can probably make a .pdf.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Apparently he announced on CBS that he wasn’t running. That was after appearing on CNN and saying he might.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/07/22/kamala-harris-campaign-biden-drop-out/joe-manchin-run-for-president-00170269

Manchin ends his brief flirtation with presidential bid

Well, that was fast. Sen. Joe Manchin’s (I-W.Va.) brief flirtation with a bid for the Democratic nomination for president ended between two cable news interviews Monday morning.

“I am not running for office,” Manchin told “CBS Mornings” Gayle King. About an hour earlier on CNN “This Morning,” he told host Kasie Hunt “people are pushing in that direction” when asked if he was seeking the nomination.

Guess running on his own dime with no support didn't appeal to him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Apparently he announced on CBS that he wasn’t running. That was after appearing on CNN and saying he might.

When the universal response to musings one might run is laughter, one might want to sit this one out.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Considering the flailing about by the Trump campaign/GOP yesterday, I imagine some poor intern was walking into the office with a fresh batch of "Biden is old" material and saw the news on TV like

angry GIF

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I’m just going to predict right now that when the first real polls come out around Thursday, a lot of people are going to be shocked.

I can't wait to see them.  The post-debate polls had her performing better nationally than Joe - up in a few, down in a few, tied in a few.  Joe was down an average of ~2 points to Trump nationally, Harris about ~1.5.  Curious if she gets a little bump from yesterday - a lot of upside for her. 

NYT polls in PA/Virginia:

PA: Trump 48, Biden 45
Trump 48, Harris 47

VA: Biden 48, Trump 45
Harris 49, Trump 44

In both states, Ms. Harris performed slightly stronger than Mr. Biden with Black voters, younger voters, and women — all groups that Democrats need in order to be successful this fall. And, importantly, those are groups where Mr. Biden appeared to be losing ground.

10 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Trumpers already calling Kamala a hoe and lazy on social media.

Good. While there are definitely more "normal" people that are going to be hesitant voting for a black woman in this country than we'd like to admit, they also don't want to be lumped in with the open misogynists and racists. MAGA is going to do the heavy lifting for us by being off-putting to the suburbs. 

Shit, even if Trump wanted to debate, would they even let him? The chances are way too high that he says something about being thuggish or ghetto or implies she slept her way to the top.

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Speaking of, now that Joe is done, I kinda hope he pardons Hunter on the way out. Because fuck the GQP, that’s why.  

Oh, totally. I fully expect that pardon to come not long after the election. 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Normally the GOP is relatively on the same message with their team that goes on tv or with their tweets. Its why their message sounds similar if not identical.

crazy how they were caught flat footed yesterday by being all over the place. The spectrum went all the way from its illegal to its fine but Biden should also resign from office.

I don’t know why they weren’t ready for this scenario as it was being more likely Biden would resign and endorse Harris. 

Because the GOP didn't expect Biden to actually drop out and were planning to continue to push the narrative that he should and is unfit. 

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The one think I dislike about Kamala is that she the youngest boomer by being born in Oct ‘64. Only 3 months younger and Gen X would finally have their own President.  Boomers had 4 of the last 5 presidents.

She's being labeled as Gen X from what little I've seen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can't wait to see them.  The post-debate polls had her performing better nationally than Joe - up in a few, down in a few, tied in a few.  Joe was down an average of ~2 points to Trump nationally, Harris about ~1.5.  Curious if she gets a little bump from yesterday - a lot of upside for her. 

NYT polls in PA/Virginia:

PA: Trump 48, Biden 45
Trump 48, Harris 47

VA: Biden 48, Trump 45
Harris 49, Trump 44

We'll see but I've thought that all the polling with Kamala so far probably underrated her. Before it was a hypothetical, now it is reality. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We'll see but I've thought that all the polling with Kamala so far probably underrated her. Before it was a hypothetical, now it is reality. 

Yeah, I mentioned she has a lot of upside in polling from those post-debate polls.

Now it's real, the quickness of the unity across the caucus, the enthusiasm - I want to specifically see how black voters and young voters react in polling.  With the caveat that polling won't truly capture things, because the industry is broken. 

And of course, I want AZ, NV, NC, GA, WI, MI, PA polls.  

• Hook 'Em 4

[mention=397]immamac[/mention]
I'd love to see the traffic on this forum from about 12:45pm yesterday through the end of the day

I’ve been f5-ing my ass off these past 24 hours.

Not sure if updated, but the state delegate slates to the DNC who have endorsed Harris: Tennessee (77), South Carolina (55), North Carolina (168), New Hampshire (25), Florida (224), Louisiana (48)

Chairs of the state parties that have endorsed her, but the delegates have not met/chosen yet: Michigan, Washington, Connecticut, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Alaska

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.fd77867c87cc3442a55973e86ebc5dd2.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I haven't opend a political thread since the debate where I was happy to read anything. All of Trump's scorn for a guy a few years older than him now coming back at himself is glorious.

We may not win, but at least I'm feeling alive again.

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta
Trim the quote from Tx3put
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

this coup talk is so adorable.  a wake of indictments, pleas, and convictions, the count undoubtedly into the hundreds across multiple jurisdictions when you add the individuals who attacked the Capitol. orchestrated attempts to subvert a constitutional process, fake electors, asking for votes to show up, intimidating the VP to block certification.

now they claim coup! coup! coup!! the will of the democratic voters! this is a breach of democracy, a bloodless overthrow! Biden declined the nomination. wtf is a private political party supposed to do? keep him on the ballot? believe it or not, the private party rules contemplate such things. besides, they are rules not laws. there is no Constitutional provision that says here's how the Republican and Democratic nomination process must go.

Speaker chucklehead said it's apples and oranges, yeah, smarty pants it's not the same you dumbfuck, that's what we've been saying.

after watching the Republican convention I truly believe they are the party of idiots. 95% of the time all they do is hurl insults, the rest of the time they bastardize logic and reason. no wonder the aggies love them some Trump.

The TexAgs thing where everyone is repeating coup is the dumbest stuff. A coup is seizing control the government. That’s not what happened. We’re all going to vote in the election just like we always do.

I have resigned myself to the reformation of parties where the Republican party is now just the party of halfwits. how does it capture an entire group of college educated people in unanimity?

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, troph said:

this coup talk is so adorable.  a wake of indictments, pleas, and convictions, the count undoubtedly into the hundreds across multiple jurisdictions when you add the individuals who attacked the Capitol. orchestrated attempts to subvert a constitutional process, fake electors, asking for votes to show up, intimidating the VP to block certification.

now they claim coup! coup! coup!! the will of the democratic voters! this is a breach of democracy, a bloodless overthrow! Biden declined the nomination. wtf is a private political party supposed to do? keep him on the ballot? believe it or not, the private party rules contemplate such things. besides, they are rules not laws. there is no Constitutional provision that says here's how the Republican and Democratic nomination process must go.

Speaker chucklehead said it's apples and oranges, yeah, smarty pants it's not the same you dumbfuck, that's what we've been saying.

after watching the Republican convention I truly believe they are the party of idiots. 95% of the time all they do is hurl insults, the rest of the time they bastardize logic and reason. no wonder the aggies love them some Trump.

love actually christmas GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The TexAgs thing where everyone is repeating coup is the dumbest stuff. A coup is seizing control the government. That’s not what happened. We’re all going to vote in the election just like we always do.

I have resigned myself to the reformation of parties where the Republican party is now just the party of halfwits. how does it capture an entire group of college educated people in unanimity?

The coup talk is literally to try and foment discord in the party by driving a wedge. It’s pathetic

It is no different than the bots and trolls saying that the DNC rigged it against Bernie. They don’t care about Bernie or anyone else. It’s to set a narrative 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Speaking of, now that Joe is done, I kinda hope he pardons Hunter on the way out. Because fuck the GQP, that’s why.  

As a capper he should then officially recognize Hunter's hog as America's Dong. Have the mint put it on the next $1 coin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

no not really but the last week has brought it a deeper level, they have insults and faulty logic, that's it. it's why arguing doesn't work with them and why they love trump.

I was ruminating over the fact that discussion is gone and a few (none that I know to be interested in real discussion) lament the fact that this board is full lib. It's actually not, it's just reason has been banished from the Republican Party and the former reasoned Republicans - some of the loudest posters here - are now firmly democrats. and the Republicans don't even realize, these people may not ever go back. After 3-4 cycles, it's hard to leave, it's almost like it requires a complete take over of a Party for folks to leave.  So while I'd love to return to an honest debate about tax policy, healthcare, entitlements, defense spending and the role of the federal goverment in personal welfare, there's no one on that side to have that conversation.  That conversation is happening entirely (if at all) within the democratic party between progressives and center left moderates.

YEP. We are effectively running this country with 40% of the population actively trying to break it. It’s remarkable things are going as well as they are, when you think about it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Every person in the Trump campaign should be fired for not having a series of unified talking points on Kamala on the possibility that this happens.   I mean how are you this flat footed?   Their incompetence is no surprise as it starts at the top of that ticket. 

I am also surprised right now how unified I think most of the Democratic party seems to be behind Harris.  I know a huge part of this is a show of force to try to keep other legitimate options from throwing their hat in the ring at the convention, but I kind of feel like there is more unification happening than I expected and not just a collection of Harris playing some of her cards early to try to snuff out dissent.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

The right wing weirdos in my office are clearly lost this morning, going to be completely unable to not get super weird and off-putting to normal people. 

The "independent thinkers" have no idea what to think and it's awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1