2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Trump has to overrate everything he talks about.  It wouldn't be enough to fix the border crisis; he has to fix the biggest border crisis in the entire world.  

Because people crossing the border to bus tables and pick lettuce is way more dangerous than Israel/Syria and at least a dozen other examples.  Sure, fat man.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's the easiest rebuttal ever and I can't wait for her to hammer him with it.  Especially if he's dumb enough to debate her.

Yep, because he's admitted it multiple times and they can keep replaying him saying HE scuttled the bill. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

These people are scared

The guy who was posing as a black woman on Twitter...

Also Ella was 15 when Kamala married Doug. Cole was 20. She didn't "raise" his kids.  I don't expect the right to know anything besides what they are told, but Doug and Kamala met in 2013 and were married in 2014.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Do we even make the top 25 most dangerous borders? Always out here overrating Texas in the preseason smh.

Since we expanded the post-season field we should definitely at least make the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If that poll is accurate, I'm moving to Canada. 

Of course it's not.  It's laughable - we are reminded often (except when it favors Dems) that crosstabs are wonky.  They're usually extremely small samples.  This same poll has Harris down 2 overall while losing young voters by 19?  That's absurd. 

Things that will not happen:

• Trump will not win young voters.  He will lose them bigly, again. 
  • Trump will not win the female vote
  • Trump will not win 20+% of the black vote
  • Hook 'Em 7

My "centrist" buddy just sent me a poll by the Winston Group in 2021 (president is a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation and a Newt Gingrich lackey) saying how the majority of the population sees itself as "conservative".  Well, I guess we should just make sure we keep everything to the right of center then.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

How’s that a mistake. Hes from a state we won’t win and has less name recognition than basically all the other contenders 

In this millennium, I can only think of 2 VP candidates picked to try and win a specific state - 2004 Edwards and 2012 Ryan. 

Cheney (WY), Lieberman (CT), Edwards (NC), Palin (AK), Biden (DE), Ryan (WI), Kaine (VA), Pence (IN), Vance (OH).  

Beshear is:

• Young
  • Able to speak to WWC and rural voters, as evidenced by winning KY twice and even improving his margins the second time (5k vote margin -> 70k margin), plus winning another statewide race in 2015 (3 in a row in KY as a Dem)
    • Can speak to WWC voters you need to win in WI, MI, PA as someone who grew up in KY and counter JD Vance
    • He's also not scary to suburban voters - married, 2 kids, "heart of a choir boy" 
  • Telegenic, good looking and speaks well with the media
  • Not afraid to be himself and stick to his beliefs in a red state
  • Like Shapiro, he also has AG experience, which mixes well with Kamala's AG experience
  • Governor working against a hostile legislature since 2019

Not to mention he and Harris have already worked together on marijuana legalization

aHR0cHM6Ly9naWVjZG4uYmxvYi5jb3JlLndpbmRv

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Trump has to overrate everything he talks about.  It wouldn't be enough to fix the border crisis; he has to fix the biggest border crisis in the entire world.  

Because people crossing the border to bus tables and pick lettuce is way more dangerous than Israel/Syria and at least a dozen other examples.  Sure, fat man.

He’s the most tedious and exhausting man the world has ever seen. No one has ever exaggerated every single little thing more than he does.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My "centrist" buddy just sent me a poll by the Winston Group in 2021 (president is a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation and a Newt Gingrich lackey) saying how the majority of the population sees itself as "conservative".  Well, I guess we should just make sure we keep everything to the right of center then.  

That’s probably true. Democrats don’t seem to understand the importance of winning brand battles. 
The irony of course is that Trump put the greatest symbol of all up for grabs, the American flag, and yet Democrats refuse to pick it up and run with it because affluent white Progressives are too consumed with cultural superiority to embrace it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s probably true. Democrats don’t seem to understand the importance of winning brand battles. 
The irony of course is that Trump put the greatest symbol of all up for grabs, the American flag, and yet Democrats refuse to pick it up and run with it because Progressives are too consumed with cultural superiority to embrace it. 

Aha!  I found you!  I knew you posted here you fucker.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

* poll of men standing around at Hoffpauir’s in Lampasas at 230pm on a Monday afternoon. 

I mean you can talk about polling errors and stuff all you want, no one is erasing a 19 point lead in 3 months. It’s about what I figured once Biden stepped down. 

• Haha 8

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not only locking up the delegates in less than 48 hours, but $150m in BMD money and another $100m+ in small donor money. 

Combined, those figures blow away rocketboi's pledge.  What he actually donates is going to be much lower.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I mean you can talk about polling errors and stuff all you want, no one is erasing a 19 point lead in 3 months. It’s about what I figured once Biden stepped down. 

Well it isn’t a 19 point lead on young voters. You’re so quick to want to be right all the time you can’t look at it and discern “is this true or is this bullshit?”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s no world in which young voters are voting for Trump by 20 points. zero, none, zilch, nada 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, scottsins said:

Maybe not right leaning posters, but there are a lot of DixonHur’s friends who will be voting for Harris now that we’re sitting out before.

After the last 48 hours, y'all are really still doubting that there were a shitload of normal, not evil, not moronic people who were going to be nearly impossible to get to the polls because of overwhelming apathy? Really??

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The only thing dangerous about South Texas/RGV is you might run into a jabroni Yankees fan in a silver chain and black t-shirt and drown due to all the wet panties around you. 

This was a little too oddly  specific for my taste.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Do we even make the top 25 most dangerous borders? Always out here overrating Texas in the preseason smh.

We’re in the top 5 for sure because of the big 12 schedule. If we had to play an SEC schedule we’d be lucky to make the top 25. Suspect defense. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

After the last 48 hours, y'all are really still doubting that there were a shitload of normal, not evil, not moronic people who were going to be nearly impossible to get to the polls because of overwhelming apathy? Really??

Apathy in this election was moronic. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There’s no world in which young voters are voting for Trump by 20 points. zero, none, zilch, nada 

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well it isn’t a 19 point lead on young voters. You’re so quick to want to be right all the time you can’t look at it and discern “is this true or is this bullshit?”

I don’t see how it could be bullshit. Yeah he won’t win young people by 20 points but I could definitely see 10 or so. That picture sealed everything for him because people are dumb and easily swayed. 

• Haha 3

Yes, let's appeal to women voters by insinuating that the female VP only got her position because she had sex with men. Because no woman has ever had to face those accusations in the workplace. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, dcbc said:

A fine young man???

Only a Lad

Always loved this song--and the lyrics fit so well here. 

He didn't want to learn things---he liked to burn things. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t see how it could be bullshit. Yeah he won’t win young people by 20 points but I could definitely see 10 or so. That picture sealed everything for him because people are dumb and easily swayed

10 would be insane.
As someone referred to upthread, even a poll that is valid and has a low margin of error in the aggregate can produce very weird and misleading results in the cross tabs. I’m not a “polls are wrong” guy, but I am a “polling is difficult” guy, and it’s a mistake to look at outlier crosstab results and take anything from it other than an indication that something deserves further study. 

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I listen to that podcast when I want to feel like a terrible person. It’s like sitting around Les Amis patio back in the day, smoking cigarettes and talking shit with the skinniest, bitchiest art history grad students in town. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I like how Helobious is leaning into the schtick now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I guess you have to admire the commitment to the bit, as weird as it is. Like did he wake up one morning and go "I want my internet persona to be known for being wrong all the time." 

It's not enough to be wrong, it has to be in the most publicly idiotic fashion possible.

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t see how it could be bullshit. Yeah he won’t win young people by 20 points but I could definitely see 10 or so. That picture sealed everything for him because people are dumb and easily swayed. 

That picture is already old news. Politics moves fast and Americans are always ready to move to the next story. Is anyone even talking about that anymore?

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not to mention he and Harris have already worked together on marijuana legalization

aHR0cHM6Ly9naWVjZG4uYmxvYi5jb3JlLndpbmRv

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I know who she should pick.  But I do know that I will not send idly by and let Fat Joes leadership on this matter go unnoticed.  

Edited by Post Oak
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

That picture is already old news. Politics moves fast and Americans are always ready to move to the next story. Is anyone even talking about that anymore?

I don't even know the reference and I've been paying attention since Saturday.

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I know who she should pick.  But I do know that I will not send idly by and let Fat Joes leadership on this matter go unnoticed.  

Ready for war, Joe- how you wanna blow they spot?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

FYI.  He left Atlantic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What a weird timeline. Remember that time someone tried to assassinate a former president? Not really.